Start by marking “Roaring Rockets” as Want to Read:
Roaring Rockets

Roaring Rockets

Rockets have power. They rise and roar. This rocket's waiting, ready to soar. Rockets carry astronauts with cool, white suits oxygen helmets and gravity boots. Blast off with more out-of-this-world couplets! This time it is machines that fly. In bright and bold illustrations that are as witty as the text, the animal crew roars and whizzes into outer space.
Published September 1st 1997 by Kingfisher (first published 1997)

Anne
Mar 02, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son and I love this book! The art style is energetic, drawn with big bright shapes and thick animated lines. The rhymes are perfect for reading aloud with enthusiasm. I love that the "Amazing Machines" series from Tony Mitton and Ant Parker are educational for both kids and adults. I myself learned the names of different rocket and spaceship parts while reading this to my son. How endearing it was to hear him try to pronounce lunar lander... "Lunder lander!" This was a great book: affordable, ...more
Heather
Jul 26, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
26 months - a few weeks ago we were over at friends and they had "Cool Cars" and I read it to my daughter. It was a simple book that introduced new vocabulary so I sought out this one about rockets. Again a simple introduction to new vocabulary and concepts. What was really cute about this book was on the first page O said this is like one at Georgia's house. She recognized the illustration style immediately. This was the second time in one day she connected books together by the same author/ill ...more
The Library Lady
Sep 11, 2013 The Library Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A great new series, and it's especially nice to see another astronaut book. They've been in short supply in recent times, and this is a nice addition to the shelf along with Byron Barton's I Want to Be an Astronaut and Margaret Mayo's Zoom, Rocket, Zoom!.
Autumn
Feb 02, 2014 Autumn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We picked this book up from our public library.

Cute and easy to read. Loved the illustrations of the animals going to the moon to explore and making it back home. I liked the ending where it gives explanations to the Rocket Bits. K is big on space and so when he picked this book I knew he would enjoy it. The rhyming, the pictures all went very well together. This is a book that is perfect for all ages I would say maybe 3 or 4 to about maybe 9?
Sheeba Virani
This book is a great way to introduce children to the world of space and space travel. The book has facts about rocket ships and astronauts that children always enjoy. The entire book is rhyming so it is fun for children to read.

Extension
Create a flannel board activity set depicting different parts of a rocket ship. As you read the book to a whole group put the pieces together and create the rocket ship. You can leave the activity set for children to explore and name parts of the ship.
Gianina
So we did amazing airplanes by the same illustrator and I was prepared to dislike this one because of the ugly bird, rat, rabbit trio in all these books. That said, I have to admit it is a good learning tool about rockets for a early introduction to the concept of space travel.
Brooke
This is an excellent rhyming book on rockets. A group of animals go to outer space. The book itself is physically a bit small, but has nice pictures. It would be good to use for a storytime on outer space or rockets.
Helen Kumpel
Who this book would be for: PreK-K
Reflection:
I love this book for young readers and ESOL students. The book shows the different parts of a rocket and shows a journey into Space. Also, at the end of the book is a glossary with all the terms used to describe a rocket and the job of each part.

Rebecca
May 13, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, the children were fascinated. Everyone felt bad for poor Owl who had to stay and mind the rocket just like Michael Collins in the original moon landing. But unlike Michael Collins he got to go for an extra spin while he waited.
Nov 06, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space
I love this book. It has great descriptive words, pictures and pretty accurate. It is a great read and could easily be made to a music and movement activity. The text rhymes and the pictures are detailed and explains rocket ship parts. The animal crew roars and whizzes through outer space!
Kristie
A quick rhyming read sure to appeal to many boys. The last page includes a picture dictionary of rocket parts.
Elizabeth
Apr 01, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
This whole series is lots of fun. The truckload package makes a great gift for two year old boys.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Feb 01, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
We love all the Amazing machines books! These wonderfully illustrated and fun rhyming text books are great to share with young children!
Alicia
Jul 09, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Cute.
Sylvester
5* to everything "Amazing Machines"

The kid just has his favorites of this series, and this is not one of them. Still fantastic.
Heather
28 months - we like this series. Fun easy to read book that introduces new vocabulary.
Sharon
Jun 29, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dan, tom
Read at school during the "space" theme.
Paula
A simple explanation of how space rockets work, where they travel, and what they do.
Jean-Marie
Feb 25, 2011 Jean-Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture_book
The rhyming text makes this a fun read aloud about rockets and space travel.
Nanci Booher
Told in rhyming text, Tony Mitton takes us on a rocket journey. Simple to understand, this will make a great storytime book.
Stephanie
Nov 03, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The kids love all the books in this series. We especially love the glossary at the end. It provides us an easy way to review/summarize the book and focus in on key vocabulary.
Bridget
This is a simple book to understand about how astronauts get to the moon, but it explains a lot in a fun way. Informative and simple at the same time.

Have two copies.
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Pablo Montesinos
Pablo Montesinos rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2009
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
AIda
AIda rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Katie Marra
Katie Marra rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Ethan H
Ethan H rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2011
  • It's Time to Sleep, My Love
  • Randy Riley's Really Big Hit
  • Cat & Mouse
  • Dear Juno
  • How Do You Wokka-Wokka?
  • Cactus Soup
  • A Cache of Jewels and Other Collectible Nouns (World of Language)
  • These Hands