Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)

Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  1,621 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Written by some of today's leading science fiction writers, these tales sweep us into a world where the only laws are cunning, force, and power -- and only the bravest, craziest, and deadliest dare to tread. Here mercs and smugglers, gangsters and warriors fight toe to toe, side by side, and behind each other's backs in the backwaters of a universe ripped apart by war. . ....more
Mass Market Paperback, 397 pages
Published June 28th 2011 by Banta Spectra (first published December 1st 1999)

Heir to the Empire by Timothy ZahnDark Force Rising by Timothy ZahnThe Last Command by Timothy ZahnDarth Plagueis by James LucenoStar Wars Episode IV by George Lucas
Star Wars Novels
163rd out of 177 books — 25 voters
Path of Destruction by Drew KarpyshynHeir to the Empire by Timothy ZahnRule of Two by Drew KarpyshynDynasty of Evil by Drew KarpyshynDeceived by Paul S. Kemp
Star Wars Novels - Adult
101st out of 110 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Ron
A better, if uneven collection of Star Wars "Tales." Some do little to expand the SW universe. The opening tale, which the closest ties to former SW stories, is unambiguously dated before Episode Four, while most of the others extend beyond Episode Six.
Chris Bell
Interlude at Darkknell by Timothy Zahn & Michael A. Stackpole: Loved it.
Jade Solitaire by Timothy Zahn: Loved It.
Gathering Shadows by Kathy Burdette: Enjoyed this one.
Hutt and Seek by Chris Cassidy & Tish Pahl: Fantastic, loved it.
The Longest Fall by Patricia A. Jackson: Didn't care for it at all.
Conflict of Interest by Laurie Burns: I liked this one quite a bit.
No Disintegrations, Please by Paul Danner: Not sure Fett would have done all that was done in this one, but I kinda liked the e...more
L.
This was a great read! The Zahn/Stackpole collaberation was really wonderful and I loved reading about Hal Horn in particular. I also really liked the Pahl/Cassidy collaberation that featured Kyp. Frankly, the characterization of him there rang much truer than the one in Vector Prime. Jean Rabe's story was refreshing since it was told from an alien's POV and the Bobba Fett story had an interesting twist, even for this not-a-Fett-fan. There did seem to be an awful lot of dark Jedi in some of the...more
Mark
How many different stores in the SW EU have "steal plans for the Death Star" as part of the plot? There are at least two books, including this one, plus the adventures of Kyle Katarn in the original Dark Forces video game - the coolest one, before it was all about crazy lightsaber stuff and Jedi powers and you could just get all kinds of random awesome blasters and do cools tuff.

But hey, it's still hard to go wrong with a Timothy Zahn/Michael A. Stackpole team-up when you're working within the c...more
Scott
A good mix of stories, slightly better than the previous mos eisley cantina/jabbas palace short story collections which all featured the same overlapping story elements, the stories in this collection are a lot more spread out, and focus less on the main characters we are all used to. Finely anchored with a longer story from Timothy Zahn, i also enjoyed the one featuring Boba Fett, and another with Mara Jade. There are a few weaker ones towards the end though.
Iver
It was okay. If this was the first Star Wars book I ever read, I doubt I'd read another one. But, since it's far from that it was...okay. If you're like me, and you're trying to read ALL of the EU titles, you'll burn through it and forget it. If you like Star Wars and want to read some EU titles, don't go to this one first, there are far better EU books out there.
Brendan
This was my least favorite of all the short story collections. I had a hard time caring about most of the stories and the characters. The book overall just didn't really capture my attention. There were a few gems in the book, especially the material by Zahn and Stackpole, but overall not worth the time.
Timothy
Out of all the anthologies this is the best. And there is a must read timothy zahn short in this as well.
Tarsier
Sep 01, 2011 Tarsier rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
I wouldn't give every story 5 stars, but this collection includes some of my all-time favorite SW stories.
Christopher Murphy
Good anthology. Especially enjoyed "Simple Tricks".
Biiku
Biiku marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Salvador
Salvador marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Andrew Carver
Andrew Carver marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Chris Allen
Chris Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Tykh02
Tykh02 marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
  • Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)
  • The Ruins of Dantooine (Star Wars: Galaxies)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • Battle Surgeons (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #4) (Medstar, #1)
  • Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9)
  • The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian, #1-3)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #7)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
  • The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
  • The Cestus Deception (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #2)
  • Jedi Trial (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #6)
  • Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing, #8)
  • Tyrant's Test (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #3)
Tales from the Empire (Star Wars) Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook (Star Wars RPG) Star Wars Adventure Journal 11 Star Wars Adventure Journal 1 Star Wars Adventure Journal 2