Start by marking “Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)

Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars Legends)

3.51  ·  Rating Details ·  2,189 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Tales from the New Republic: Star Wars
Mass Market Paperback, 397 pages
Published June 28th 2011 by Banta Spectra (first published December 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Tales from the New Republic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from the New Republic

Gretchen Fatouros
May 25, 2015 Gretchen Fatouros rated it it was amazing
Read Tales from the Empire FIRST!!!

To give you an idea of how much I enjoyed the first few stories, I had to go buy the book instead of staying with the library book! Definitely a good book for any Star Wars book collection!

Timeline so far for the 1st story (Interlude at Darkknell) is before A New Hope. Very exciting and well-written story.

1st story (Interlude to Darkknell, by Timothy Zahn & Michael A. Stackpole): read the short story from "Tales of the empire" before story 2. From Tales of
Ron
Jun 25, 2009 Ron rated it liked it
A better, if uneven collection of Star Wars "Tales." Some do little to expand the SW universe. The opening tale, which the closest ties to former SW stories, is unambiguously dated before Episode Four, while most of the others extend beyond Episode Six.
Bria
Dec 29, 2015 Bria rated it liked it
It's always fun to go back to the Legends universe. The stories by familiar authors and with familiar characters are all pretty good. The rest are of varying quality. Pretty much what you'd expect from the Bantam era.
Jaime
Oct 17, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it
I felt like this was my least favorite of the "Tales" anthologies. Similar to the "Empire" one, the stories here didn't all relate to the New Republic; even the Zahn/Stackpole one takes place prior to ANH. Some were with the Rebellion; others were with the NR.

That wasn't my biggest gripe though. In about 1/4 of the stories, the characters were bland. I found myself losing interest with even some stories that weren't bland. I'd give it a 3.5 stars, and at first I felt the negative brings this do
Ian Reay
Jan 15, 2015 Ian Reay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
This was truly a great collection of Star Wars short fiction. Each story is totally different, and yet forms a whole, of life in the Star Wars Galaxy.
Interlude at Darkknell: By Tim Zahn and Mike Stackpole, this one delivers. It is the big draw to the whole book, and lives up to that. We get to learn more about Hal Horn and Gen. Bel Iblis, against the background of some major galactic events. Good characters and some great tying together of loose threads. (similer to the Zahn/Stackpole in Tales f
Mark Oppenlander
Here's another hit and miss collection of stories set in the Star Wars universe. Some of them are pretty good, especially those by veteran EU writers. For example, Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole team up on a novella, "Interlude at Darkknell," that leads off the book. Covering events set shortly before Episode IV, "Darkknell" is an entertaining story of espionage featuring Ysanne Isard, Hal Horn and others. However, the plot is a bit complex for the length of the tale. Zahn follows with anoth ...more
Michael Otway
Jun 12, 2016 Michael Otway rated it it was ok
The problem with short stories is, unless they have a point to them, they are really pointless. To justify even existing, there must be a reason for them to exist. Unfortunately, I can't understand why any of these stories do exist. None of them have a reason for being and none of them have anything interesting to say. They are plain and simple, little adventures of no consequence and no purpose.

Sure there are some mildly interesting or amusing stories but being so short and with no real scope
Mark
How many different stores in the SW EU have "steal plans for the Death Star" as part of the plot? There are at least two books, including this one, plus the adventures of Kyle Katarn in the original Dark Forces video game - the coolest one, before it was all about crazy lightsaber stuff and Jedi powers and you could just get all kinds of random awesome blasters and do cools tuff.

But hey, it's still hard to go wrong with a Timothy Zahn/Michael A. Stackpole team-up when you're working within the c
L.
Dec 14, 2012 L. rated it liked it
This was a great read! The Zahn/Stackpole collaberation was really wonderful and I loved reading about Hal Horn in particular. I also really liked the Pahl/Cassidy collaberation that featured Kyp. Frankly, the characterization of him there rang much truer than the one in Vector Prime. Jean Rabe's story was refreshing since it was told from an alien's POV and the Bobba Fett story had an interesting twist, even for this not-a-Fett-fan. There did seem to be an awful lot of dark Jedi in some of the ...more
Edwina
Jan 01, 2016 Edwina rated it did not like it
Hit and miss. Some stories were well written while others weren't so engaging.
Timothy Zahn and Michael A. Stackpole's 4 part story was excellent, and it is always great to read a Mara Jade centered story by Timothy Zahn. The rest I would recommend skimming through to determine if you want to bother reading it.

Also, it is worth noting this book should be renamed Random Tales from the Star Wars Universe because many stories have nothing to do with the New Republic or take place when it doesn't e
Scott
Oct 14, 2012 Scott rated it liked it
A good mix of stories, slightly better than the previous mos eisley cantina/jabbas palace short story collections which all featured the same overlapping story elements, the stories in this collection are a lot more spread out, and focus less on the main characters we are all used to. Finely anchored with a longer story from Timothy Zahn, i also enjoyed the one featuring Boba Fett, and another with Mara Jade. There are a few weaker ones towards the end though.
B. Reese
Aug 10, 2015 B. Reese rated it did not like it
Shelves: abadnoned
I tried reading some of these, having loved the other "Tales" books. But man, these were hard to read. These were short stories that were harder to read and get through than some novels I've read. I never finished. I may go back one day, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it. Same for the Tales from the Empire.

The cover art is good, but inside...not for me.
Iver
Mar 30, 2012 Iver rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. If this was the first Star Wars book I ever read, I doubt I'd read another one. But, since it's far from that it was...okay. If you're like me, and you're trying to read ALL of the EU titles, you'll burn through it and forget it. If you like Star Wars and want to read some EU titles, don't go to this one first, there are far better EU books out there.
Mar 13, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
A fantastic collection of stories, I thoroughly enjoyed Tales of the New Republic. I will be adding this to my 'to buy' book list. I thought the stories were well written, and a few will once again pull at the heart for sure. I would recommend this book along with Tales of the Empire to any SW:EU fan. It is essential for sure.
Brendan
Mar 16, 2013 Brendan rated it it was ok
This was my least favorite of all the short story collections. I had a hard time caring about most of the stories and the characters. The book overall just didn't really capture my attention. There were a few gems in the book, especially the material by Zahn and Stackpole, but overall not worth the time.
Timothy
Feb 23, 2012 Timothy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, star-wars
Out of all the anthologies this is the best. And there is a must read timothy zahn short in this as well.
Jade Tarsier
Aug 17, 2011 Jade Tarsier rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
I wouldn't give every story 5 stars, but this collection includes some of my all-time favorite SW stories.
Greg Schwartz
Apr 04, 2015 Greg Schwartz rated it liked it
Some great stories, some not so great. Not really worth reading unless you want to read everything, or love Mara Jade. Though the Darknell story at the beginning was pretty good.
Patricia Ash-Vildosola
Feb 02, 2017 Patricia Ash-Vildosola rated it it was amazing
Lots of great stories.
Beth
I've been reading this on and off which is why it's taken over a year
a reread, there are some gems in here, and some which fall short.
Jose Miguel
Feb 09, 2015 Jose Miguel rated it it was ok
Las dos primeras historias fueron interesantes, pero de ahi en mas, es cuesta abajo, lo acabé solo por no dejarlo pendiente
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Todd Paulsen
Todd Paulsen rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Steve019
Steve019 rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2013
Jason Krausman
Jason Krausman rated it really liked it
May 05, 2011
Steven Strothman
Steven Strothman rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Christopher Murphy
Oct 22, 2013 Christopher Murphy rated it liked it
Good anthology. Especially enjoyed "Simple Tricks".
Pizzamann
Pizzamann rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Magda
Magda rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2012
  • Tales from Jabba's Palace (Star Wars)
  • The Ruins of Dantooine (Star Wars: Galaxies)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian, #1-3)
  • Battle Surgeons (Medstar, #1)
  • Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9)
  • The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
  • Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
  • The Approaching Storm
  • Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing, #8)
  • Jedi Trial
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)

Star Wars Legends (1 - 10 of 346 books)
  • Dawn of the Jedi:  Into the Void
  • Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1)
  • Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2)
  • Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #3)
  • Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4)
  • Purgatory (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #5)
  • Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)
  • Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Red Harvest