Start by marking “Nobody's Home” as Want to Read:
Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Series of incisive essays from Dubravka Ugresic explores the full spectrum of human existence. From bottled-water drinking tourists with massive backpacks to the Eurovision song contest, Ugresic's unfailingly sharp critical eye never fails to reveal what has been hidden in plain sight by routine, or uncover the tragic, and the comic, in the everyday.
Published September 26th 2008 by Open Letter (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nobody's Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody's Home

Neva
Dec 22, 2012 Neva rated it it was ok
Из архивите - рецензия за в. "Гласове".

Летящата хърватка
"Няма никой вкъщи", Дубравка Угрешич, прев. Людмила Миндова, "Факел експрес", 2006 г.

Ако закачката с Летящия холандец не звучи убедително, то е само защото Угрешич развява женския род като знаме, а и в Холандия живее от прекалено скоро, че да я таксуваме холандка... От друга страна целият й сборник е посветен на състояния на временност вместо време, странство вместо пространство и изпепеляващи погледи назад, така че – какъв по-подходящ надс
Intery
Dec 26, 2014 Intery rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Харесах:
* всички тези случайни срещи с емигранти от Балканите, които се намират един друг по всички краища на света и се държат като членове на едно сплотено братство (сестринство?);
* разсъжденията за начина, по който Хърватската публичност се опитва да се справи с близкото си минало, чудейки се как едновременно да запази претенциите за антифашизъм и еднозначно да зачеркне комунистичното;
* експлицитният феминизъм и загатването за разликите между феминизма в САЩ и феминизма в Югославия, с нейния
Chad Post
Jul 20, 2015 Chad Post rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: I am the publisher of the book and thus spent approximately two years reading and editing and working on it. So take my review with a grain of salt, or the understanding that I am deeply invested in this text and know it quite well. Also, I would really appreciate it if you would purchase this book, since it would benefit Open Letter directly.
Gianna
Nov 13, 2012 Gianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Nobody’s Home is a collection of short essays; in some cases, they seem too short to express a well-developed idea. As I was reading them, I thought they reminded me of a newspaper column article, and, indeed, the notes in the end of the collection acknowledge that most of them have been written for a newspaper.

These cultural essays focus on fairly diverse topics—from cosmetic surgery to heftier issues such as Europe’s identity, to stereotypes prevalent in the “Old continent,” and even religion
Stewart
Oct 13, 2008 Stewart rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, essays
Open Letter Books, based in the University of Rochester, have been blogging away at Three Percent for over a year now, and last month they finally launched their first title: Nobody’s Home by Dubravka Ugrešić (2005). What makes Open Letter special is that they will explicitly only publish works in translation. I’ve been interested in their forthcoming output for a while now and have deliberately held off buying Nobody’s Home, published last year in the United Kingdom by Telegram Books, because I ...more
Virginia Albanese
Sep 16, 2014 Virginia Albanese rated it really liked it
Since I am taking a trip to Croatia thought I would read some literature by Croatian writer and she would not be happy with that distinction, although she identifies as an ex=Yugoslavian. A series of sharp, concise, serious yet many satirical essays of life in the Balkans and around Europe, especially observations of how the EU has more or less homogenized the countries with everyone moving away from or to other countries.
Catalina
As always, Dubravka Ugresic's personal essays are filled with critical approaches towards life before the falling of the Wall, references to books and films, as well as life as an immigrant and a critical perspective on capitalism and the 'Western World. The only critique to this book would be that it somehow lacks coherence- although I generally appreciate variety of topics, especially in essays, there seems to be no backbone to this book, no unifying theme to the essays.
Ferris
Apr 10, 2011 Ferris rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of essays from an author who considers herself to be a "nobody", and the collection is a treatise on what a nobody's home is like. Ugresic, from the former Yugoslavia writes intelligently, with healthy doses of humor, cynicism, and poignancy. I am left with a powerful feeling of sorrow. Sorrow for what? I am not entirely certain. Perhaps I feel sorrow for: exiles, locals, foreigners, people whose birthplace is now referred to starting with the word, "former". Major themes: e ...more
Tina.
Jul 17, 2009 Tina. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2009
I love this book! It speaks to me on so many levels, but it especially hits home when Ugrešić brings up the details, memories, musings on the times and events and history of the former Yugoslavia. How great it is to read a book in which you recognize all the cultural and political references. How great it is to read a book written by someone with whom you used to share a country that now doesn't exist anymore, and she, as you are, is now an immigrant some place else. But there is a bond between ...more
Fanghuzhai
Mar 27, 2010 Fanghuzhai rated it it was amazing
The author's viewpoints on many daily issues find echo in me. I have written essays in Chinese on similar topics and some of my thoughts are similar. I am sure I can be a good friend of the author.
Milana Viterbo
Jan 26, 2012 Milana Viterbo rated it it was amazing
Precisa y para el bronce. Explica como nadie el mundo de Europa del Este para el resto.Y su crónica de Amsterdam es bellísima.
Mohamed Alsaid
Jul 21, 2013 Mohamed Alsaid rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
رحله عبر الحدود و التوغل فى الثقافات المختلفة. الكتابه رائعه و استمتعت بها كثيرا
Alfonso Forssell
May 29, 2014 Alfonso Forssell rated it really liked it
reseña erótica: a esta escritora le quiero leer todo
Megan C
Jun 03, 2009 Megan C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
She is just so damned smart and interesting.
Linda
Mar 28, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
go back to this later, I suppose.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Maja
Maja added it
Apr 13, 2016
Sebastian Gomez Angel
Sebastian Gomez Angel is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2016
F Cats
F Cats marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Kristina Tešija
Kristina Tešija marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Dubravka
Dubravka marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Seila Rizvic
Seila Rizvic marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Rebecca Foster
Rebecca Foster marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Rumy
Rumy rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Ивана Дамческа
Ивана Дамческа rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Małgorzata{Niebieski ptak}
Małgorzata{Niebieski ptak} rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Marija
Marija rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
  • Let Our Fame Be Great: Journeys Among the Defiant People of the Caucasus
  • I Have Seen the World Begin: Travels through China, Cambodia, and Vietnam
  • Travels with a Tangerine: A Journey in the Footnotes of Ibn Battutah
  • Along The Enchanted Way: A Romanian Story
  • The Book That Changed My Life: 71 Remarkable Writers Celebrate the Books That Matter Most to Them
  • The Eros of Everyday Life: Essays on Ecology, Gender and Society
  • The Barefoot Emperor: An Ethiopian Tragedy
  • Two or Three Years Later: Forty-Nine Digressions
  • Metafiction: The Theory and Practice of Self-Conscious Fiction
Dubravka Ugrešić earned her degrees in Comparative Literature, Russian Language and Literature at the University of Zagreb, and worked for twenty years at the Institute for Theory of Literature at Zagreb University, successfully pursuing parallel careers as a writer and a literary scholar.

She started writing professionally with screenplays for children’s television programs, as an undergraduate. I
More about Dubravka Ugrešić...

“Има градове, от чиято бивша красота ми избиват сълзи. Такъв град е Санкт Петербург. Има и такива, които ме галванизират, покачват нивото на адреналина в кръвта ми и ми замъгляват погледа. Такъв град е Ню Йорк.
Има градове, които съществуват единствено благодарение на реките си. Махни им реките, и ще се превърнат в най-обикновено петно. Такъв град е Белград.
Има градове, чиято красота лежи в обещанието на бреговете и океаните. Махни обещанието, и ще останат само мегаоазиси. Такъв град е Лос Анджелис.
Има градове, които съчетават несъвместими неща, каквито са мощта и меланхолията например. Такъв град е Берлин. Има и градове, на които им трябва съвсем малко грим, за да бъдат наредени сред най-хубавите градове в света. Такъв град е Будапеща.
Красотата на града я фиксира окото на наблюдателя. А знае се, че колкото очи, толкова и красиви неща.
из есето "Амстердам, Амстердам”
2 likes