Start by marking “Die "Danziger Trilogie" Von Günter Grass: Texte, Daten, Bilder” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Die "Danziger Trilogie...

Volker Neuhaus

Die "Danziger Trilogie" Von Günter Grass: Texte, Daten, Bilder (The Danzig Trilogy #1-3)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The crucial trilogy by the author acclaimed internationally as the most imaginative and powerful novelist to come out of postwar Germany.
Brosche
Published 1991 by Luchterhand Literaturvlg 7442 203 (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Die "Danziger Trilogie" Von Günter Grass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die "Danziger Trilogie" Von Günter Grass

Realini
The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
Inspiring at times

This is my third encounter with The Tin Drum. I have read the book, saw the very good film by Volker Schlondorff (note: I am missing the German letters for the “covered” u and o).
This last meeting of Oskar and his drum was in the form of a play adapted for the radio. I am not quite sure what to make of it though. We are dealing with a very special, interesting and at times shocking novel, which I both like and somehow feel repelled by.
Gunter Grass, t
Albert
I read these books many years ago, as well as the Flounder, and have always enjoyed the writing and storytelling of Grass. One of my literary partners in crime, Phillip Lee Duncan, turned me on to him early in our relationship, and by strange happenstance, the author came to Houston for a book signing which we attended. I still have my autographed copy of "The Flounder" which is still my favorite of his books. That being said, all of these books are great as well, just my contrary nature makes m ...more
Kate
A classic of the 20th Century. One you should read before you die, but only when you're ready to shut yourself off from the world for many days. Flawed, yes, and perhaps too long-winded at times (reduced by a third it would have been perfect) but this is an important, mind-expanding trilogy that you can absolutely lose yourself in. It shows you what a novel can achieve and it opened the door for so many great writers, such as John Irving and Salman Rushdie, etc etc
Heather Eisenbarth
I would like to visit Poland, my college roomate got lyme disease in the mountains there.
Phil
Jan 21, 2008 Phil rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joyce fans
This huge volume is stuffed with the guilt-plagued writings of Gunter Grass, the Good German. In the last few years, as his membership in the Waffen SS at the end of the war came to light he was accused of hypocracy but that was nonsense. He was a seventeen-year-old private during the last months of the war. The books in the trilogy range from the brilliant Tin Drum, the forgettable Cat and Mouse, and the ponderous Dog Years. The Tin Drum, whose first half was made into Volker Schlondorff's mast ...more
"The Tin Drum" is one of my favorite books just because it's so bizarre. I couldn't get into "Cat and Mouse" and "Dog Years" in the same way. The plot of "Dog Years" seemed really complex and hard to follow. In many parts, I wasn't sure if I was following what Grass was trying to say. Also, he has this obsession with listing things, which gets tired when you're struggling with the plot.
I still respect Grass as a writer because of his way with words. His translator must have had a hell of a time
Alison Zemanek
I used to bring the paperback books from the bookstore to a recycle shed in Broomfield. Of course, I would often find myself scouring through and bringing home more books than I ever should have. Well, I found an awesome old copy of this trilogy and have been meaning to read it for years. I highly recommend scouring through recycled book sheds (although I don't know of any besides the one in Broomfield)!!
Ryan
The Tin Drum is the best of the three. But two and three have their merits. I was hooked at the second sentence "and my keeper's eye is the shade of brown that can never see through by a blue-eyeed type like me." The narrator's first memory is of a ceiling fan in his living room. The image has been in my head for years. Most of what Gunther Grass writes is shit. This is him possessed by genius.
Mike
Fastastic writing, in every sense of the word. I'm not really into WWII stories but this reaches beyond all that.
Eileen
While not as spellbinding as The Tin Drum, Cat and Mouse and Dog Years continued in the same vein.
Kelsey
I love The Tin Drum, and am re-reading in preparation for finishing the trilogy.
<3 <3
Derwood Pamphilon
Stunning characterization and description of a key period in German history
Kim
Some of the most amazing characters I've ever encountered. Truly.
Bigmakmotorbreath
i loved all of these books
Theo
Theo marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Beldiana
Beldiana marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Chris Fite
Chris Fite marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
LucidStyle
LucidStyle marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Dimitar Gramov
Dimitar Gramov marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
flattedsixth
flattedsixth marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Vivek Sahu
Vivek Sahu marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Phillip
Phillip marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Ahmed Amin Nasr
Ahmed Amin Nasr marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Mufaddal Kathawala
Mufaddal Kathawala marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Yasser Emam
Yasser Emam marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
  • El arpa y la sombra
  • A Dream in Polar Fog
  • Season of Ash
  • De verwondering

The Danzig Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Tin Drum
  • Cat and Mouse (The Danzig Trilogy, #2)
  • Dog Years (The Danzig Trilogy, #3)
Johann Wolfgang Goethe. Götz von Berlichingen Günter Grass, Die Blechtrommel: Interpretation The Tin Drum Mord Als Schöne Kunst Betrachtet [2] Mord Als Schöne Kunst Betrachtet [1]