Start by marking “Princesses Are Not Quitters” as Want to Read:
Princesses Are Not Quitters

Princesses Are Not Quitters

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Bored just sitting around their garden over breakfast, three princesses decide to swap "jobs" with their servants. The housekeeper gives them a long list of chores to keep them busy for the day: sweeping, dusting, polishing, tending to the gardens, and many other tedious tasks. The next morning, when the princesses find themselves appreciating the fruits of their own labor ...more
Published April 5th 2003 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Princesses Are Not Quitters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princesses Are Not Quitters

Lisa Vegan
Mar 08, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: little girls who love princesses & who can see things from different viewpoints
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Delightful!

First of all, I loved the illustrations. From the three princesses’ ridiculous lavender, pink, and yellow cotton candy style hair, to the smiles on the dogs, to the lounging cats, to the absurd shopping lists, to the princess snack cupboard (yum!). to the castle by the sea, the pictures are all pretty and detailed and intricate, and fun to peruse.

The story of three bored princesses who trade places with three servant girls and do their work, and oh what hard and long work it is, but
Kathryn
I'm afraid I didn't love this one quite as much as I hoped I would, but it's still a cute story about walking in someone else's shoes, accompanied by colorful illustrations with fun details. The three princesses are BORED with life, so they order the servants to take their place for the day and they decide to have some fun playing servant. Only, it's not so fun. The work is very hard, but the princesses are not quitters and they complete all their chores (the chores are listed with accompanying ...more
Rachel
Apr 11, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know, yet another picture book, yet another princess story. But I've read this to the girls since Thing 1 was tiny and we all love it. It makes a nice little mantra for us on those hard days; I remind my own three princesses that we (including Princess Mommy) are "not quitters!"
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 29, 2014 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do princesses with Marie Antoinette dresses and massively over-the-top pompadour hairstyles do when they're bored? They decide to swap with 3 servant girls for the day. And they command their servants' manager (I'm not looking at the book right now and can't remember what she's really called) to show them no mercy, because "Princesses are not Quitters".

I couldn't help thinking of various politicians or celebrities who have lived on a poor person's budget for a week, and what a farce it real
Rita Webb
Jun 08, 2009 Rita Webb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made quite an impact on my 7-year-old. For days later, she would say "Princesses are not quitters!" when she felt like giving up, and she wanted to help so much more around the house. I love the character lessons this book teaches to young girls.
Kate McCartney
Nov 15, 2008 Kate McCartney rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
It is nice look at what hard work is and how to stick with it. I am a bit cynical about it though that through the privilege of being a princess they can choose to do hard work rather than a need to be employed.
Nojood Alsudairi
Apr 03, 2008 Nojood Alsudairi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I like this kind of books that tells girls that can be princesses but at the same time thaey can do any thing.
Wendy
Feb 26, 2016 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me put things into perspective for my young 5 year old.

Empathy and doing something about it is an important lesson.

Having respect for EVERY job and being appreciative and respectful of all jobs is a good lesson.

Lastly, trying things out, not giving up and in the process probably finding something we may greatly enjoy is a good lesson.

Miri
One of my favorite princess picture books yet. The princesses are bored to death with being princesses, so they decide to switch place with their servants for a day. They're so tired they can barely move, and they don't get to eat because their work takes them too long, but they won't quit because princesses aren't quitters. The next morning, they realize how tired their servants must be, so they make a proclamation—that from now on, all servants must rest when they are tired, eat when they are ...more
Lesley
A delightful picture book featuring 3 bored princesses who decide their servants have all fun. Impetuously, they decide to switch places with them for a day...a very long day for the princesses. After 18 hours of scrubbing, cooking, weeding, and missing meals,the exhausted princesses reach an epiphany: life as a servant is NOT fun, and not fair. It takes awhile, but they eventually devise a clever solution that will bring a smile to every reader's face.

Lum avoids the cliches in many other rich/p
Ashley
Sep 03, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-flora
I'm not a huge fan of princess stories, but these ladies set pretty good examples.
Martha
Apr 07, 2016 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My youngest daughter loves this book, I think I will have to get it for her.
Valerie Patterson
May 11, 2016 Valerie Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute for 1st graders!
Therese
Cute and clever illustrations - this one was a big hit with my 4-year-old. I'm not the hugest fan of princess books generally (because no one wants their little girl growing up with a princess complex), but as far as they go, this one was fun.
Heidi
I guess I read these two books backwards. It explains why the princesses weren't baking and gardening and such in this one. This one was not as funny (to me) as the other book. Still, it was fun and I love the absurdity.
Michelle
Jun 19, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very pretty pictures and great story/moral. Could have used another page of dialog in a couple places but overall very fun. It's great for my "princesses" who say they are "too tired!" to do their work :)
Kelli
May 19, 2011 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Growing up, I loved any book with 'princess' in the title. This one is sweet and puts an emphasis on doing one's best. The illustrations are fun and colorful.
Tara
May 17, 2009 Tara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh. While interesting that the servants and princesses switch places and learn a bit about the lower class - I'm just not sure about it.
Jess
Sep 08, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I maintain my enjoyment of these picture books. Also, it's amazing what you can find when shelving in the Children's Room.
Gigi
Nice story of appreciation and putting yourself in someone else's shoes.
Teri
Aug 28, 2010 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
My girls made me read this again, and again and again. They loved it.
Heather
I appreciate the message, but was just so-so about the book.
Marya
Aug 12, 2013 Marya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Oh, if only life were this simple.
Dawn
Apr 12, 2010 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love this little book.
Heathy
Heathy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Leigh
Leigh rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Dhia Dianza
Dhia Dianza marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Siobhan Roulston
Siobhan Roulston rated it liked it
May 26, 2016