Start by marking “Backpacking: A Woman's Guide” as Want to Read:
Backpacking: A Woman's Guide

Backpacking: A Woman's Guide

An introduction to backpacking for women, covering techniques, fitness, equipment, safety, backpacking resources, and the selection of destinations. Like other volumes in the series, the book is directed at women and addresses such matters as personal security, health issues, women's equipment needs, and other concerns.
Published June 1st 1998 by International Marine Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Backpacking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backpacking

Renata
Aug 06, 2015 Renata rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, grownup
This is a great, concise introduction to the concept of backpacking (for ladies). It's from 1998 but I don't think it's particularly dated, since the basics don't change. (A few things, like price-points for gear, are probably no good... but hey, we have the internet now.) I like the positive, can-do tone of it! Especially the chapter about personal safety, like how ladies hiking MIGHT get murdered but you're much more likely to get murdered in an urban area! Anyway it's a good starting point fo ...more
Maria
May 16, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
20130701 ◊ This book is a great resource for women backpackers. To be honest, I wondered if the subject actually needed a women's perspective. However, I found the topics included to be both inspirational and eminently useful. A lot of the information is bare-bones practical for any backpacker, but the focus on the emotional and physical issues particular to women was surprisingly helpful. A short section on the history of female backpackers was fun and interesting to read as well. Highly recomm ...more
Myriah
May 05, 2009 Myriah rated it really liked it
I found this book immensely handy. It wasn't all new information, but I still found it useful.

I appreciated the female point of view. Most of the backpacking articles and books I have read have been written by males, and I couldn't really relate.

At 25, I feel I have started to backpack rather late in life. This book gave me good, sound advice, and gave me the courage to finally plan my first official backpacking adventure.
Lucy
Mar 17, 2007 Lucy rated it really liked it
A really great informational book about backpacking. It covers a little about a lot of topics and has some fun little personal stories about peoples' experiences. It's also written specifically for women so it talks about all the things that are different for women like finding backpacks and physical training.
Bria
Aug 01, 2011 Bria added it
Shelves: 2009
A good intro but doesn't give much detail. I did enjoy reading something from a woman's prospective though; for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to believe the man's answers for women specific issues on the trail from other books I read. haha.
Kassie
Apr 22, 2008 Kassie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all women interested in backpacking
Shelves: non-fiction
awesome resource by a woman for women!
Isabel
Jan 24, 2015 Isabel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
A must read for female beginner hikers/backpackers. It is concise and detail-oriented at the same time.
Genevieve
Jul 07, 2009 Genevieve rated it liked it
My research after reading A Walk in the Woods. I had to know what woman have to go thru. Good information
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
nancy
nancy rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Niederberger
Niederberger rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2011
J.B. Johnson
J.B. Johnson rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Loriann
Loriann rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2010
Gwen Fisher
Gwen Fisher rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2007
Marge
Marge rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Kira
Kira rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2008
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2011
Nicole Bateman
Nicole Bateman rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Alisha
Alisha rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2011
Saeed Hamzehee
Saeed Hamzehee rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Roger Backus
Roger Backus rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Elizabeth Donald
Elizabeth Donald rated it really liked it
May 24, 2013