Start by marking “Drawing Closer” as Want to Read:
Drawing Closer

Drawing Closer

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Charles is a professor, an expatriate Brit, and a man with a past. He's put that aside, living the peaceful life he thinks he needs. He figures he's happy.

Until he meets Gray Collins, that is. He's a student, and even though Gray waits until after his class with Charles ends to make his move, Charles decides he's not about to get involved. Gray is stubborn, persisting unti
Published September 1st 2007 by Torquere Press (first published March 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing Closer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing Closer

Jenre
Why I bought the book: Again my memory is a little hazy about this, but I think it was after reading another couple of books by this author which I'd really enjoyed: Wild Raspberries and Wintergreen.

Plot: College professor Charles is an Englishman in the USA, having fled there after a relationship gone wrong among other things. He runs a small community class which studies Shakespeare as a favour for a friend where he meets keen student, Gray. After the 10 week course is over, Gray makes his fee
Vivian Archer
Gray is a determined young man. Self-confident in what he can do, he has no problem chasing down what he wants. What he wants is Charles.

Charles has been hiding in his self-imposed prison after fleeing a painful past. Feeling aged, he rebuffs Gray until chased down. The gazelle falls to the cheetah.

Davitt explores power dynamics in relationships and this story is no different. In fact, it is quite lovely and focuses on D/s more than pomp and circumstance. Charles unveils a new world to Gray who
Debra

This was a likable story about Charles, a British college professor now living in America and artist Gray, who meet when Gray takes a night school course Charles is teaching. While the two are attracted to each other, Gray takes the initiative and is persistent, while Charles tries to push him away claiming their 10 year age difference, former student-teacher relationship and that Charles will be no good for Gray. Charles finally relents and as they start seeing each other Charles reali
Syfy
So many of my personal peeves assuaged in here.
~Lei ~  Reading Is An Adventure ~
✰✰✰½
Gray plotted his way into Charles' Friday night class to get closer to him and was so persistent he eventually wore Charles down. Charles was just as attracted to Gray, but didn't want to be caught because he had secrets and desires that he didn't feel he could share with anyone else.

Except Gray liked Charles' desires and wanted more.

The two side characters Drew and Carl were fun and added much to the story.
Librarian Kate
This totally falls into the category of one of my favorite genres: Better Living Through Bondage. I loved the way the author defines the "rules" of the D/s dynamic between Charles and Gray - it's totally unique to them, and it's what works for them within the context of their developing relationship. There are mistakes, and hurt feelings, and a fair bit of angst, but they treat each other with respect, and recognize that the Dom/sub aspect of their relationship fills a need for both of them.

I di
Elisa Rolle
When love doesn't accept a no.

Gray is a 23 years old artist who feels an immediate attraction for Charles, a 31 years old literature professor. Gray is young and full of life, he also has just accepted his homosexuality. Charles instead is quite and aware of his own sexuality: he doesn't have a present lover, but if he wants sex, he knows where find it and absolutely doesn't want a youger lover, maybe a little to easily influenced by an older man.

But Gray is very insistent, and no matter what
Schnaucl
May 06, 2009 Schnaucl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of slash
Recommended to Schnaucl by: Leah Cutter
Shelves: fiction, glbt, owned, read_2009, may
Chris
Good m/m romance about a professor who wants to resist a slightly younger painter because he doesn't believe the painter could be attracted to the D/s lifestyle.
Virginia
I liked this but the last 20 pages just felt off. The final scene with Grey's friend Carl didn't seem in character to me.
Vallie
I was really hoping not to give such a low rating barely in the beginning of the new reading year, but...can't be helped. I am really not inclined to review a 1 star book, but I will just say that I tagged this as BDSM because there were supposed to be elements of it. It was SO. BADLY. DONE! The kink was off, the story was all over the place, Charles was an annoying character, always assuming what's best for Gray and having this almost shameful attitude towards his dominant tendencies, implying ...more
Jeanne
This is the first book by this author I have read. I really liked it until the end. I couldn't put it down after I read the free excerpt off of Amazon. It was refreshing. I really liked how the relationship started off. The pull and attraction between the two main characters.

Charles is the older of the two. He is a professor and has a pretty set routine. He has a few friends and is afraid of trying to pursue a romantic relationship with anyone(just hasn't meet anyone who was worth it yet) then
K
Torquere freebie 12.9.13

I’ve enjoyed a lot of this author's work and this was another good solid read. Charles is a Brit abroad, working as an English professor, having left England after a scandal. Gray is a young artist who has first seen Charles when working for his grandmother, Charles’ neighbour. He enrols in one of Charles' classes, but doesn’t make a move until after the course has ended. Charles turns him down flat, but there is something between them and eventually Charles gives in to h
Florebunda
4.5. Artist, Gray, seduces his adult education literature teacher and discovers a whole new world of kink. Charles (okay, Charles, 32 is NOT old!!)left England after a humiliating scandal and is nervous of a new relationship.
Suze
May 26, 2014 Suze rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suze by: Torquere press anniv giveaway
My comments generally echo Jenre's review.
I got this during Torquere's giveaway last year and didn't know what to expect really, but was engrossed in the story from fairly early on.
Gray is the confident yet unsure young man who becomes enamoured of the slightly older Charles - British, English Literature lecturer, sofisticated yet also vulnerable.
I did feel the tension they each had - Gray wanting to learn more about his submissive tendancies but unsure of what he is wanting, Charles wanting Gr
Rachel
I really liked this one, better than a couple of hers I've read that seem more well-known. I'll be looking for more solo work written by her now, I'm curious.
ElaineY
This one fell completely flat for me and I couldn't continue even though I generally enjoy these teacher-student romances. I was surprised at my lack of enjoyment as a previous Davitt book, Truthful Change, was a very good read. That was a collaboration with Alexa Snow, though, so I'm not sure if that made a difference. I have another Davitt-Snow book, Bound & Determined which I had read a few pages when it first came out and did not continue. I'll pick it up again when I'm in the mood for a ...more
Maggie
Rating 3.75
Fangtasia
The characters are likeable, pretty realistic to their backstory. The plot was interesting and even exciting at times, as Gray discovered a whole new part of himself at Charles expert hands. But...I found the conflict and the 'big misunderstanding' were resolved way too easily.

After reading other books by this author, I know there are much better ones from her. For example, Hourglass.
Lois - Who Reads
To me this is the perfect kind of book. Charles and Gray connect on a deep level, but the relationship grows slowly throughout the story. Charles is trying to hide his true needs when he meets Gray, but Gray pushes the relationship before he realizes how far the Charles will take him. There is a little angst and a small misunderstanding and a lovely HEA. This book hits it on all levels!
Etienne Telling
Jane Davitt is simply a gem when it comes to her BDSM writings. It is not wildly unrealistic and it is understated. If you aren't sure about BDSM or kink, this book is really gentle, and doesn't contain anything that is remotely extreme or salacious.
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Miza Peters
Miza Peters marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Hulttio
Hulttio marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Stillman
Stillman marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Steven West
Steven West marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Russian Bear (Russian Bear, #1)
  • Uneven
  • Be Brave (Angel and the Assassin, #2)
  • Painting Fire on the Air (Survivor Stories #2)
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Not His Kiss to Take
  • Hooch & Cake (Special Delivery, #1.5)
  • Fettered
  • Three in the Dungeon (Dungeon #3)
  • Tabula Rasa
  • Safe Words (Deviations, #5)
  • Out Of Focus
  • Bad Case of Loving You
  • Bound: Forget Me Knot
  • Screwing the System (Screwing the System, #1)
  • Leather+Lace (Opposites Attract, #2)
  • Mark Cooper versus America (Prescott College, #1)
When I was eight I decided to write a book. I found a blank notebook, wrote 'Chapter One' at the start, scribbled a few hundred words about triplets with improbable names, and lost interest. Three decades later I still wanted to write a book, but the dim realization was dawning that meant I had to actually, well, write something.

Yes, it surprised me too.

So I did. Not about triplets, but love, angs
More about Jane Davitt...
Bound and Determined Room at the Top (Room at the Top #1) The Square Peg (The Square Peg #1) Truthful Change Wild Raspberries