Start by marking “Yankee Stranger (Williamsburg, #2)” as Want to Read:
Yankee Stranger (Williamsburg, #2)

Yankee Stranger (Williamsburg #2)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  461 ratings  ·  48 reviews
On the eve of the Civil War, Eden Day encounters Cabot Murray on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg. As they shelter together from a passing thunderstorm, they fall in love. The obstacles to their future are instantly obvious. Hers is one of the first families of Virginia, and he is a Yankee newspaperman. Their country is about to split apart, and they will be on op ...more
Published January 1st 1980 by Amereon (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Yankee Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yankee Stranger

Misfit
Feb 18, 2012 Misfit rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Misfit by: CLM
"It was her birthday, and she was ninety-five."

Tibby Day might be ninety-five, but she's still the matriarch of the Day/Sprague families and a real treat for those who read her story in Dawn's Early Light, the first book in Thane's Williamsburg series. Tensions between the North and the South are heating up, and Yankee Cabot Murray finds himself a not so welcome guest in some households, but Tibby welcomes him into her home and marks him as the one man suitable for her favorite granddaughter Ede
Kilian Metcalf
This was the first book by Elswyth Thane I ever read, and it is still one of my favorites. It has it all - the handsome Yankee, the beautiful southern belle, love and war. Second in her Williamsburg novels, it tells the story of the love that grows between Cabot Murray, hardened Yankee newspaper reporter and the loving Virginia family that accepts him into their lives. All the women flutter around Cabot, but it is lovely Eden Day who captures his heart. Of course there's this pesky war to get ov ...more
Mallory
Much like “Dawn’s Early Light,” this is first and foremost a romance, but it also captures the full horrors and complexities of war. Eden Day is the great-granddaughter of Tibby, who is 95 years old at the opening of the book and still as sharp and perceptive as ever. Though it’s Eden’s story, Tibby remains the rock and the core of the Day family. On the eve of the Civil War, Eden meets Cabot Murray, a Yankee journalist, and they fall in love, much to the chagrin of her family and friends. Tibby ...more
Gaile
It is always wonderful to find a new author although this one has been around since the Forties!
Her second book continues the saga of the family in Williamsburg begun in her first book, Dawn's Early Life.
In this one, the heroine of Dawn's Early Light lives to a ripe old age, sees war break out again and her granddaughters fall in love. Eden falls for a Yankee. Sue loves her double cousin. The yankee's sister comes south and she also finds a new life.
Not only is this a romance but it is stuffed w
CLM
When sheltered Eden Day meets brash northerner Cabot Murray on a stormy day in Williamsburg, she is struck by his charm and good looks but instinctively knows he can bring nothing but upheaval to her life. She is from a distinguished Virginia family and he is a Yankee, unwelcome in town as the war is about to break out between the States. Yet Eden's great-grandmother Tibby sees something in Cabot that reminds her of her husband and encourages the romance...

A strong competitor to Gone with the W
Barbara Irene Carter
This is a wonderful book and I liked it as well as Dawn's Early Light and intend to read the whole series. This is the story of the Day and Sprague families as they live through the miseries of the civil war and with all the triumphs, tragedys and romantic entanglements. Highly recommend to all history buffs.
Gina
Loved ALL of the Williamsburg novels, first read them as a teenager, always thought they'd make a great mini-series! Plan to read them all again in the near future!
Debra
I was so taken with the characters in this book that I named my daughter Susannah, after one of the heroines of this book. You could say that I like the read!
Ann Schwarz
Loved the romance between the two main characters. However, this is a book that was written in the 1940's and its viewpoint on the issue slavery would be offensive to many in this day and age. Also, the writer does write romanticize the Confederate war heroes in the same vein as Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind (GWTW). This being said it is a very good depiction of the Civil War with wonderful character development and detail to the history and struggles of the time. For fans of GWTW, Yank ...more
Melissa
I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to get into this book when I first started it but it wasn't very long before I found myself really enjoying it. There is civil war history, family, a little romance, sorrow and happiness in this book and I thought it was very well written. Not everyone gets a happily ever after but that is part of what makes it such a good book, the sense of reality and the possibility that it could have happened this way.

I will be looking for more books by this author.
Okay, I wasn't going to read another in this series after I was disappointed in the first (Dawn's Early Light). But then I was bored and saw that this story picked up about 80 years later, during the Civil War. Although the title of the novel was sorry, even for a romance, I decided to take a shot.
I liked this one a little better; the characters were more believable and the plot line followed the war time line. That said, there were several cringe-worthy elements based on the time period and se
Shaina
Beautiful historical fiction. I feel like part of the Day family after reading this book. I'm hard to please when it comes to historical fiction, but this was masterfully done. Civil War drama with just enough love to balance it out.
Kandra
Loved it! This is one I come back to and read over and over again. I love the tragedy of it and the bits of humor sprinkled throughout. And I love the incredibly romantic hero...even if he is a Yankee!
Jamie
I am really enjoying these Williamsburg novels. This one takes readers through the civil war and has characters on both sides giving what I felt like a good look into the lives of the people at the time. It was heart breaking to read of there hard ships. Thane leaves you wanting to learn more and I applaud an author that has the ability to spark an interest for learning, in her case about history. I think the unique thing about these books is that they give insight into the commmon man's life. M ...more
Susan
The slavery issue in this and the previous book certainly does not translate in today's more enlightened times. I think that some of the viewpoints were definitely held by whites, whether because they truly believed them, it was wishful thinking on their part, or because the blacks presented themselves in a way that would be more acceptable to their white owners or, in the case of the Day and Sprague families, their "employers".

Do try not to let these few instances in the book color your view of
Margaret
12/2012 ** Southern Belles smuggling drugs into Richmond, VA during the American Civil War; POW camps; romance, war, etc.

I began reading this series when I was in middle or high school more than 30 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised when I read the first book in this series that the racist overtones (happy slave, etc.) weren't as dominant as I'd remembered from the last time I read the series 5-6 years ago. However, when I read this one, this week, I was struck by how pronounced Thane made th
AnnaMay
Since I had my hands on a very old copy, this book was all the more enjoyable. I love yellowed pages that carry that 'book' smell.

Nice love story. I loved reading it.

I wouldn't depend on this book for my sole exposure to civil war fiction, as others I've read do a better job of presenting that aspect of the story.

'History' didn't seem to be the primary purpose of this book, though, so its being a love story was just great. It DID serve the 'love story' purpose well. I'll have to look for othe
Ddoyle90
I read this series years ago.
Terry Stanton
The stars are for character development and colorful descriptives. This book is my least favorite of the series mainly due to the author's highly misguided viewpoint of slavery. I suppose there may have been some southern families who treated their slaves so well that the freedom movement was just stuff and nonsense, but the thought that owning any human could be seen as quaint and just is laughable.

Read this for the family continuity and the engaging characters.
Marilyn
#2 in the Williamsburg Series. An old favorite of mine which I read back in the 50s. The story is quite good and the historical parts are accurate; what sets one back a bit is the very unPC prose of the author in certain places and the clinging to the fantasy that house slaves were more loyal to a white family than field hands. The author wrote this book shortly after "Gone With the Wind" and you can certainly feel its vibes. Unlike GWTW however, it does have a HEA.
Marti
Apr 30, 2008 Marti rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women, civil war fans
Loved this book! I learned a lot about the Civil War while still enjoying a good romance. That's why I love good historical fiction! Plus I'll be visiting Williamsburg in June, so it was fun to get some history. This book was written in the 1950's so some of the romance is a bit sappy, but I still enjoyed it immensely.
Pam
maybe i'm being generous because there are definite weak moments in this book (can any book recount the civil war and not get bogged down in describing the battles taking place away from the central action of the book?) and the ending is rather quick, but there were some pretty great parts in between the slower bits.
Kay
This is the second book in the Williamsburg series. We follow the same family from Dawn's Early Light as they stumble into the American Civil War. Interwoven into the Virginia family is a newspaper reporter from the North. I have re-read this series many times now and highly recommend the entire set!!
Marian.brady
Interesting perspective about the Civil War. A young journalist visits Virginia before the start of the Civil War and ends up falling in love with a girl there. Problem is, her family is fighting for the South and he is fighting for the North.
Becky Rippel
I loved this entire series and want to read it again.
Jessica Aston
This book was written in 1944, when there still was plenty of people who had lived through the Civil War. Her writing is historically accurate and although written in fictional romance it has been referred to by Civil War historians.
Julie
This is my favorite book. It was a gift from my mother when I was about twelve I think. I love the characters. They represent the way people and family should be. Awesome piece of historical fiction.
Barbara
Read this the first time as a teenager, part of the beloved Williamsburg series; re-read recently on a LONG plane ride. It was as wonderful as I remembered it, and I didn't want the flight to end :)
Linda
This book is so good. I loved this book, even when the story-line got a bit far-flung. About the Civil War, this is book is number two in a simply charming series.
  • Son of a Hundred Kings
  • Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy, #1)
  • The Nonsuch Lure
  • Marling Hall: A Barsetshire Novel (Barsetshire #11)
  • Stranger at Wildings
  • Circle of Spies (The Culper Ring, #3)
  • The Friendly Persuasion
  • The Golden Tulip
  • The Pirate Queen
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant #1)
  • The House on the Cliff
  • The Masqueraders
  • Wintercombe (Wintercombe, #1)
  • The Tall Woman
  • Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses (Sue Barton, #5)
Thane is most famous for her "Williamsburg" series of historical fiction. The books cover several generations of a single family from the American Revolutionary War up to World War II. The action moves from Williamsburg in later books to England, New York City and Richmond, Virginia.
More about Elswyth Thane...

Williamsburg (7 books)
  • Dawn's Early Light (Williamsburg, #1)
  • Ever After (Williamsburg, #3)
  • The Light Heart (Williamsburg, #4)
  • Kissing Kin (Williamsburg, #5)
  • This Was Tomorrow (Williamsburg, #6)
  • Homing (Williamsburg, #7)
Dawn's Early Light (Williamsburg, #1) Ever After (Williamsburg, #3) Tryst Kissing Kin (Williamsburg, #5) The Light Heart (Williamsburg, #4)

“There, there," she said. "Don't take it so hard, Dee. Wars don't last forever. I know. I can remember...” 3 likes