Spaces & Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy

Spaces & Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From Debbie Diller, author of numerous best-selling books and videos on literacy work stations and small group reading instruction, comes another practical resource filled with ideas you can use immediately to better manage your classroom and support student learning and independence.

In Spaces & Places you'll find a wealth of full-color photos from all sorts of classro...more
Spiral-bound, 240 pages
Published June 25th 2008 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Spaces & Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spaces & Places

Danielle
This book is a great tool for creating a literacy driven classroom. The photographs were very helpful for visualizing an organized, student-friendly classroom, but the writing is extremely repetitive.
Emily
Jan 03, 2010 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
Shelves: for-teachers
I like to make a New Year's Resolution each year . . . in June! I tend to mark my new year according to the school calendar, so when summer begins, I find an area in my personal and professional life to focus and improve upon. This past summer, I decided it was time to do something about the organization in my classroom. I was spending so much time cleaning up after myself and my students, something had to give. I needed a more efficient way to deal with the "stuff" in my classroom.

I came acros...more
Debbie
It gives a teacher pause to reconsider how the space in the classroom is being arranged. How might it be set more effectively to produce the desired results academically? The book is full of lots of practical, easy-to-implement suggestions.
Kim Johnson
Debbie Diller gives some great classroom organizational tips in this book. I purchased it off of amazon, I probably could have just flipped through it at the bookstore and gotten the ideas I want to use. It's picture heavy and it address a major issue for many teachers, new and seasoned. More stuff does not always make the classroom a more enriching learning environment! Time to clean out some of that stuff I haven't touched in 10 years.
Erin Mahollitz
This is a fun book to read and then share with fellow teachers. Personally, I am always thinking of better ways to arrange (and rearrange) my classroom. I particularly enjoyed how she designs and arranges classrooms according to the priority of the spaces you need in the classroom. I like how Diller got me thinking about what is important in my teaching and therefore what is necessary and unnecessary in my room.
Mary
Great read for teachers needing to design or revamp their classrooms. Gives easy ideas for how to rearrange a space and lots of before and after pictures. Resources are listed and arranged by chapters. Even is inspiring me to redesign my scary office space!
Kari
Although I have "read" this book I can tell it will be one I keep coming back to. Full of great ideas for managing space effectivley. From initial layout to packing up at the end of the year this book will definetly give you some idaes and thoughts.
Melissa
I loved this book. I love to look at other people's classrooms and take what will work for you. I saw this on a teacher's blog and got it out from the library! I am so glad I did. Making some stuff for this coming school year.
Crystal
I loved this book...it had so many ideas I'm going to use in my classroom in August. You should read this if you are a teacher, any grade. This book has 229 pages so that brings my total to: 1,112 pages!!
Jen Munnerlyn
This book has been ordered for the 2009-10 school year on the advice of Katherine Casey who led the NESA Literacy Coaching group meeting in Jordan in November, 2008.
Mayra Rodriguez
Really good book to re-think how a classroom could be set up without all the extra stuff that might be used some day but meanwhile are dust collectors.
Crystie
This one really, really, really got me excited to set up my classroom! I already do some of the stuff mentioned, but it was still inspiring.

Noor
I got a lot of ideas of how to rethink and rework my classroom organization. I am very excited to try new instructional and organizational ideas!
Charmaine
This book is full of lots of great ideas for organizing the classroom.
Mrs. Drake
This was a great book about setting up a successful literacy driven classroom.
Christiane
I can't wait to go into my classroom and move things around!!!
Cheri
Great for starting the conversation around classroom clutter.
Rebecca Terry
Great tips on designing a literacy rich and purposeful classroom!
Sandy
Good ideas for organizing the literacy rich classroom
Mo
Lots of great ideas. The pictures are quite helpful!
Heather M
Helpful in designing classroom structure.
Lindsay
So many great visuals and ideas!
Melissa Kasso
Expensive and I got nothing from it.
Lyssa
Lyssa marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Mary-ann
Mary-ann marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Literacy Work Stations Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All Practice with Purpose: Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6 Math Work Stations: Independent Learning You Can Count On, K-2 Literacy Work Stations