The Courtesan's Wager (The Courtesan Chronicles, #3)

The Courtesan's Wager (The Courtesan Chronicles #3)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Award-winning author Claudia Dain brings back her deliciously improper ex-courtesan for another delightful matchmaking scheme.

If Lady Amelia is to marry before another Season passes, she'll need help from infamous courtesan-turned- matchmaker Sophia Dalby. But Amelia is shocked when Lady Dalby informs her that they'll hold interviews for the post of husband-and only dukes...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by Berkley Trade (first published January 21st 2009)

Saral
Spoiler:

Okay the fact that half the book you discover that NO she did not want a duke and YES she had been kissing whatever his name was for TWO WHOLE YEARS without one clue of it for (I'm being redudent) HALF THE F**** book was a huge schock and turn off.
Aquit
I just wanted to shake Amelia and Cranleigh throughout the majority of the book. She was in love with him and he wouldn't do anything about their attraction until the last few pages of the damn book. He rather just spend the whole time sulking and raging over the fact that she wanted a duke and that he's not one. I can't believe I actually spent an hour trying to read this book.
Amber
Lady Amelia is my least favourite heroine in the Courtesan Chronicles. I found her stubborn and silly. As always Lady Sophia was delightful, witty and a great read!
Joy
As with her previous novels, Claudia Dain wrote a historical romance set in the Regency era with an entirely different angle, not about reformed rakes finding the love of their lives because of fate, not of instant attraction leading to lust then love, but how women manipulate men to get what they want. Dain empowers women in her novels in Lady Sophia Dalby's character. She remains at the sidelines but she directs things well from a distance. There were snippets of her past here and I'm really i...more
Diana
This series and this book is a bit more substantial than typical romance fare-- sort of along the lines of Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series. If there were ever a historical category of chick-lit, this book would be it. In this chapter of the matchmaking saga of Lady Sophia Dalby, you get a tantalizing glimpse of her motivations for her long-held enmity with Westlin and discomfort with Aldreth. The latter plays less of a role than you would think, considering the book is about Aldreth's daug...more
Linda
Great plot, good characters.

The plot unfolds slowly, with some misdirection. Lady Amelia Caversham, despite being the daughter of a duke, has been unsuccessful in the Marriage Mart. She enlists the help of Sophia Dalby, notorious for her behavior in the ton.

Lady Amelia finally steps out of the shadows, by interviewing prospective suitors for her hand, only dukes (and dukes-to-be) need apply.

But then Lord Cranleigh makes an appearance, he's not a duke, his brother is a duke-apparent, but sparks f...more
Jessi
Lady Amelia wants to get married and she knows just who to turn to for help. Lady Sophia Darby has helped two other girls get married this season and Amelia swallows her pride and enlists Sophia's aid. Sophia decides that Lady Amelia should be able to snare a duke and immediately starts interviewing the likely suspects. Two of the eligible dukes are amused and even somewhat interested but Lord Cranleigh is having none of it. Will Amelia end up with a duke or with true love?
Fira Rosli
All I can say is that Claudia Dain can really write a a story that flows and connects well but she needs lots of improvements in her storyline and the dialogues between characters. I was bored to tears and I literally gave up. I can't take it any longer.

So, there it is. Two stars only, I'm afraid.
Terry
I've generally enjoyed this author's stories, but am getting impatient with her storytelling style.
I like that it is fast paced, but the dialogues are ..... well, tiring. I can't wait for her to get to the mystery of Sophia. She is getting closer, but hope she gets to it before I loose interest.
Tara
Lady Amelia wanted to marry a Duke and a Duke only.. But her heart had other ideas. She kept getting caught by Lord Cranleigh and his lucious lips... Eventually she convinced him to marry her, even though he wasn't a Duke.. The heart wants what the heart wants..
Alexa
Reminiscent of the best of the screwball romances of the thirties, but as a regency! Non-stop comedic patter, intelligent people finding themselves in ridiculous circumstances, and yet everything falls wildly into place at the last moment. A joy to read!
Jody
Did not actually read this book. I gave it a good try but just could not get into the book. Just sooooo boring to me. I really wanted to know what they did to get her married but just could not get into this book.
Megan
VMom
Not as great as the 1st two books, but still fun.
Crystal
This series is really growing on me.
April
I couldn't even finish it.
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Ira
Ira marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Sandi
Sandi marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Aneta
Aneta added it
Jun 02, 2014
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Barbara Xedos
Barbara Xedos marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Epilogue1212
Epilogue1212 marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Summer of You (The Blue Raven #2)
  • All of Me (Wedding Veil Wishes, #4)
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #3)
  • The Bride Price
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4)
  • The Naked Marquis (Naked Nobility, #3)
  • Seduction Wears Sapphires (Jaded Gentleman, #2)
  • A Hellion in Her Bed (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #2)
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Delicious
  • How to Tame a Lady (Daughtry Family, #2)
  • Desires of a Perfect Lady
  • His Sinful Secret (Notorious Bachelors, #3)
  • Once Tempted (Danvers, #3)
  • In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters, #3)
  • Written on Your Skin
  • Rules of Engagement (Featherton Sisters, #1)
  • A Thief In A Kilt (Castle Blackstone, #3)
It was while writing a descriptive essay in seventh grade English (that was the assignment, to write a 'descriptive essay') that Claudia first fell in love. With descriptive essays. Boys being what they are in seventh grade, there was hardly much choice.
By her ninth grade year, Claudia was spending hours each week in her bedroom writing descriptive essays that heavily featured older boys (elevent...more
More about Claudia Dain...
The Courtesan's Daughter (The Courtesan Chronicles, #1) The Courtesan's Secret (The Courtesan Chronicles #2) How to Dazzle a Duke (The Courtesan Chronicles, #4) The Holding (Medieval Knights, #1) Tell Me Lies