Start by marking “Harry S. Truman” as Want to Read:
Harry S. Truman

Harry S. Truman

The definitive biography of one of the most enduring political figures of the 20th century. Margaret Truman writes with unequaled insight and understanding about her father's extraordinary life and offers rare glimpses at the personalities and politics behind the world events of his time. A New York Times bestseller.
Published April 1st 1993 by Avon Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Harry S. Truman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry S. Truman

James Burns
It was refreshing to read about a President, from the perspective of a Daughter, you can tell that she adores her father. the book is filled with letters and document backing up her theories and conclusions. She is very biased about her fathers history and record, but the facts are well researched and documented. Harry Truman was a great President and Commander in Chief, and yet he is the only world Leader ever to authorize the use of an Atomic bomb against civilians and military targets. He als ...more
Susan
4.5

I really enjoyed this biography of Truman. I've read a couple of others and much of the material was the same, but Margaret Truman's writing style is fun and conversational making the reading experience delightful. She also includes a lot of family anecdotes and personal correspondence which might not be available to others. As Truman's daughter, Margaret doesn't pretend to be completely objective, but I do think she gives a reasonably accurate portrait of her father based on the other infor
Sharla
May 25, 2014 Sharla rated it really liked it
Margaret Truman was uniquely qualified to write this book. First of all she was Harry Truman's daughter and secondly, she could write. The perspective is one no one else could have provided. Of course it is a biased perspective but one that should be welcome to anyone with an interest in history or the presidency. You can get the facts of what happened and when anywhere but no other book will provide the insight this one does.
Kressel Housman
Aug 11, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in politics or history
As we're in the midst of a historic election year, this bio was an especially fascinating read. The very first chapter is all about his unexpected victory over Dewey! The book was written by Truman's daughter, so naturally, she portrays him in glowing terms, but the book is so well-documented, you can't help but believe her. She also interweaves history and politics with personal anecdotes, which keeps the book from getting too heavy and dry (though, I admit, some parts were slow). She details a ...more
Sean
Sep 26, 2016 Sean rated it it was amazing
Harry Truman's daughter Margaret writes a personal but very factual account of her father's life, from his early days as a county judge, through his career in the US Senate, Vice Presidency and then his time as the 33rd president.

Margaret Truman is uniquely positioned to infuse lots of personal details about Harry Truman and his beliefs and motives throughout his life. This gives her biography a very rich feel to it, as we see Truman's political life from the inside.

What makes this such a great
Doug
Aug 08, 2011 Doug rated it really liked it
Clearly, the author adores the subject of her book. Still, I was surprised to find that she managed to write a book that isn't hero-worship. You'll learn about a side of Harry Truman that no one else could possibly understand.
Beverly Hollandbeck
May 11, 2015 Beverly Hollandbeck rated it liked it
I love reading about Truman. I picked this one up because I thought - since it is by his daughter - it would add more of a personal touch to his image. It does do that, but it also repeats most of the historical and political experiences that other books provide, so I was a little disappointed.
Sharon
Jan 31, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-hs
This is one of the first adult biographies I read. I always thought my mom was crazy for reading non-fiction, but this book was so good, that I've continued some non-fiction throughout my reading life. I wrote a report on this one for sophomore English.
Amy
Sep 06, 2008 Amy marked it as to-read
Shelves: history, biography
VP Sarah Palin glossed over a lot of history when she erroneously compared herself to Truman. She can only wish to be in his league.
Ronald Golik
Jan 13, 2016 Ronald Golik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great man

Very well written. Great insight to the man and his presidency. Had to make some tough decisions and did a great job. One of our best presidents.
Emmy
Aug 16, 2008 Emmy rated it liked it
This was an informative read and interesting to follow. It read more as a family memoir than a political history book so the tone was different from other presidential biographies I have read.
Kieran
Oct 04, 2014 Kieran rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-again-again
A little tedious at times but packed full of great information and the historical sourcing couldn't be better. Definitely worth a read.
Tim
May 28, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
Interesting and informative. If American history is your thing, then you really need to add this title.
Nancy
May 13, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Read years ago,but remember that I loved it.
John
Dec 11, 2007 John rated it really liked it
Rated: B+
Harley
Mar 06, 2009 Harley rated it really liked it
Good book by the daughter of Harry and Bess Truman
John
Sep 16, 2016 John rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Margaret Truman's insights and access to her Dad's personal writings. Amazing insight to have her father's perspective. Would love to have read more about the renovation of the White House ("Big White jail" as she it."
Glenn P. Donald
Mar 08, 2016 Glenn P. Donald rated it it was amazing
I'd always been interested in understanding the man who authorized the ominous bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan. So I picked up this book in late fall of last year. I must say I was quite impressed with Margaret Truman's writing. She knows well how to convey personal context while relating history. My curiosity was satisfied on the matter of the bombings and who the man was who had made the profound decision to action them. I was however pleasantly shocked at the organizational legacy t ...more
Ann Amadori
May 17, 2009 Ann Amadori rated it it was ok
I only read a few pages of this book. It is so detailed I just could not get into it. I feel I am in a hurry to read books on my list and this one is huge so I gave up. The chapters are only numbered so I could not even browse for things that interest me. I have liked a few of Margaret Truman's mysteries so I am disappointed I could not read this now. Maybe another time.
Elaine
Mar 12, 2016 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A warm, well written and intimate biography by his daughter. Makes you feel as though you're at the family dinner table.
Yaaresse
Jun 03, 2016 Yaaresse marked it as sampled-not-interested  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
DNF. Not quite the bio I was looking for in my "read the presidents" thing.
I think I need to stick to authors not related to the subjects for my purposes.
Ellison
Mar 06, 2016 Ellison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His daughter write his biography as she was there for most of it. Insightful, except for when she inserts herself into the story, then it bogs down.
Sekhar N Banerjee
Jun 10, 2016 Sekhar N Banerjee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read

I learnt many new things about the President, which I did not get in the other books about him, in particular as a man.
Madeline
Madeline rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Andrew Myers
Andrew Myers rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2010
Dayla
Dayla rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2014
KATHLEEN FOULK
KATHLEEN FOULK rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Michiel
Michiel rated it liked it
May 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Plain Speaking: an Oral Biography of Harry S Truman
  • Year of Decisions
  • The Coming of the New Deal 1933-35 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol 2)
  • John Stuart Mill: Victorian Firebrand
  • Reagan's America: Innocents at Home
  • Remembering America: A Voice from the Sixties
  • Ike and Dick: Portrait of a Strange Political Marriage
  • ألبير كامو
  • Going Home To Glory: A Memoir of Life with Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961-1969
  • The Vantage Point: Perspectives of the Presidency 1963-1969.
  • Eleanor and Franklin
  • Roosevelt: The Lion and the Fox, 1882-1940
  • Herbert Hoover (The American Presidents, #31)
  • The Sound of Wings: the Life of Amelia Earhart
  • Edison Inventing the Century
  • Molly Brown: Unraveling the Myth
  • A Reporter's Life
  • Thomas Jefferson: An Intimate History
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...

“It was said in the First World War that the French fought for their country, the British fought for freedom of the seas, and the Americans fought for souvenirs.” 3 likes
“The Congress ran off and left everything just as I expected they would do and now they are trying to blame me because they did nothing. I just don’t believe people can be fooled that easily.” 3 likes