Start by marking “Harry S. Truman” as Want to Read:
Harry S. Truman

Harry S. Truman

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The definitive biography of one of the most enduring political figures of the 20th century. Margaret Truman writes with unequaled insight and understanding about her father's extraordinary life and offers rare glimpses at the personalities and politics behind the world events of his time. A New York Times bestseller.
Published May 1st 1993 by Avon Books (P) (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Harry S. Truman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry S. Truman

Kressel Housman
Sep 02, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in politics or history
As we're in the midst of a historic election year, this bio was an especially fascinating read. The very first chapter is all about his unexpected victory over Dewey! The book was written by Truman's daughter, so naturally, she portrays him in glowing terms, but the book is so well-documented, you can't help but believe her. She also interweaves history and politics with personal anecdotes, which keeps the book from getting too heavy and dry (though, I admit, some parts were slow). She details a ...more
Sharla
Margaret Truman was uniquely qualified to write this book. First of all she was Harry Truman's daughter and secondly, she could write. The perspective is one no one else could have provided. Of course it is a biased perspective but one that should be welcome to anyone with an interest in history or the presidency. You can get the facts of what happened and when anywhere but no other book will provide the insight this one does.
Kieran
A little tedious at times but packed full of great information and the historical sourcing couldn't be better. Definitely worth a read.
Ann Amadori
I only read a few pages of this book. It is so detailed I just could not get into it. I feel I am in a hurry to read books on my list and this one is huge so I gave up. The chapters are only numbered so I could not even browse for things that interest me. I have liked a few of Margaret Truman's mysteries so I am disappointed I could not read this now. Maybe another time.
Sharon
This is one of the first adult biographies I read. I always thought my mom was crazy for reading non-fiction, but this book was so good, that I've continued some non-fiction throughout my reading life. I wrote a report on this one for sophomore English.
Jagad5
Clearly, the author adores the subject of her book. Still, I was surprised to find that she managed to write a book that isn't hero-worship. You'll learn about a side of Harry Truman that no one else could possibly understand.
Emmy
This was an informative read and interesting to follow. It read more as a family memoir than a political history book so the tone was different from other presidential biographies I have read.
Amy
Sep 06, 2008 Amy marked it as to-read
Shelves: biography, history
VP Sarah Palin glossed over a lot of history when she erroneously compared herself to Truman. She can only wish to be in his league.
Tim
Interesting and informative. If American history is your thing, then you really need to add this title.
Harley
hard copy
John
Rated: B+
Elinor
Elinor marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Steve Mahofski
Steve Mahofski marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Phil White
Phil White marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Terri Prince
Terri Prince marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Laurén
Laurén marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Dano
Dano added it
Feb 14, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Peter H.
Peter H. marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
  • Plain Speaking: an Oral Biography of Harry S Truman
  • The Coming of the New Deal 1933-35 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol 2)
  • John Stuart Mill: Victorian Firebrand
  • Herbert Hoover (The American Presidents, #31)
  • Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure: The True Story of a Great American Road Trip
  • Eleanor and Franklin: The Story of Their Relationship, Based on Eleanor Roosevelt's Private Papers
  • Eisenhower: A Soldier's Life
  • The Russian Revolution
  • Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern
  • Thomas Jefferson: An Intimate History
  • Speeches and Writings, 1859-1865
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...
Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1) Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4) Murder at the Library of Congress (Capital Crimes, #16) Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10) Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)