Start by marking “The Pursuit of Happiness” as Want to Read:
The Pursuit of Happiness

The Pursuit of Happiness

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  3,691 Ratings  ·  350 Reviews
The critically acclaimed bestseller from the number one bestselling author of The Moment and A Special Relationship. A powerful romantic novel set in the tumultuous world of post-war America.

New York, 1945 - Sara Smythe, a young, beautiful and intelligent woman, ready to make her own way in the big city, attends her brother's Thanksgiving Eve party. As the party gets into
Published September 5th 2002 by Arrow (first published 2001)

Tea Jovanović
Reading this book I fell in love with Kennedy's writing... And bought the rights for his first (and only so far) Serbian edition... Everybody who read the book fell in love as well... but as it usually happens, when I left the publisher nobody continued to take care of "my" author... His books are big bestsellers in France as well and many of his novels made it to big screen...
MUST READ! One of my most valuable "editorial picks"...
B the BookAddict
Apr 27, 2013 B the BookAddict rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mish, Dale,Sharon
Recommended to B the BookAddict by: Bekah
Douglas Kennedy writes women so well; he writes about how women think, like a female writer does. There is no insult meant in that comment. A wonderful story set in 1940-50s America; this novel will teach you something about McCarthyism if you are unaware of that shameful time in USA.

New Years Eve, a party at struggling playwright Eric's apartment. A gatecrasher Jack, an army journalist looks across the room at Sara, Eric's sister, and so begins a powerful but tragic love story. It is not a sog
Lidia
Jul 13, 2016 Lidia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Kennedy es un autor de los que acomplejan al lector. Muestra tal dominio del lenguaje, de la trama, de los sentimientos que siempre me resulta un reto y además de los difíciles porque también es un maestro del detalle. Qué gran trabajo hacen sus traductores, por cierto.
Una historia real, creíble, dura e incomprensible a veces. Muy recomendable.
Dale Harcombe
Apr 06, 2015 Dale Harcombe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts with Kate at her mother’s funeral and a stranger who appears at the funeral. Then it goes back to tell is who this woman is, why she came to the funeral and what her interest is in Kate. I liked the way the story went back to fill in the background and history of Sara Smythe and Jack Malone.
This is a story of choices and consequences that have far reaching effects on others. The characters are complex and well portrayed. Even if I didn’t agree with their choices, it was easy to
Sara
Mar 19, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a 99cent special from Nook so I didn't know much about it when I started reading it, but I got so completely absorbed in the story that I couldn't put it down. It's about 500 pages and I read it in about a week. Rarely do I get so engrossed in a book but it was heartfelt, interesting, and good plot twists that I didn't see coming.
Scatterbooker
Feb 01, 2016 Scatterbooker rated it really liked it
A tragic love story spanning a lifetime

The year is 1945 and Sara Smythe reluctantly attends her brother, Eric’s, Thanksgiving Eve party. She is swept away by the enigmatic gate-crasher, Jack Malone. Jack says he is a U.S army journalist and is being deployed to Germany the very next day, despite the war being over. Will Jack make good on his declarations of undying love and devotion or will he breaks Sara’s heart, just as Eric suspects.

The Pursuit of Happiness is set in a time of great unrest in
Denise
Dec 03, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Denise by: no one...love his other books
Shelves: fiction
This was my fifth Douglas Kennedy novel, and I was not disappointed. Kennedy is a true story-teller; I can't put his books down! The Pursuit of Happiness takes place in post-WWII and much of the plot revolves around tragic McCarthyism period in U.S. history. Young Sara Smyth moves to New York against her very staid parents' wishes where her older brother, Eric, already resides. Sara meets journalist Jack Malone at a party at Eric's house. They spend one passionate night together and fall in love ...more
Esil
Jun 12, 2011 Esil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. At times, it felt a bit light and predictable, but it dealt with a very interesting time and place, and Sara was a great character. Also, unlike many books I have read, it got better and more complex as the story developed. I often find that books start well and then fizzle out. This book certainly did not follow that pattern. I think I will read another book by Kennedy sometime soon.
Leona
Aug 02, 2015 Leona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly outstanding. It grabbed my attention from the very first page. I highly recommend.
Wendy Ewurum
Mar 29, 2011 Wendy Ewurum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

THE STORY:
The story starts of with the death of Dorothy, Kate’s mother. We see Kate trying to come to terms with the death of a complicated woman whom she loved but never understood. It is only after her mother’s death that she catches a glimpse of the magnitude of the sadness and loneliness that overshadowed 40 years her mother’s life. She learns this through a manuscript written by Sara whose life was intricately entwined with that of Dorothy for 40 years. Dorothy married and lived with a man
Jenn
Apr 07, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this was a pretty long book and there were parts that had me thinking "why am I reading this", this was a very enjoyable read.

This story tells the life mainly of Sara Smythe. I didn't expect the book to be this way but soon found it extremely enjoyable getting to know Sara. Sara was a successful writer yet her life was never complete. She had an immense love for her brother, Eric, and not only were they siblings they were friends. He would get her through many times and visa versa.
Cindy
Oct 17, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!! I found this book interesting on many levels. I, also, found it interesting that I had read another of Kennedy's books a while ago, "A Special Relationship". As I was reading this book, my mind went back to Kennedy's other book, because I, once again, kept thinking, "How can a man write so convincingly about women?". Until I researched Kennedy's other books on "Goodreads", I did not know the other book that kept coming to mind was written by the same author! I have recently ...more
Ann
Feb 14, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 3rd Kennedy book and I'm glad it was much more like the first one I read ("Leaving the World"). I'm impressed, again, that the narrator of this book, like "Leaving," was a woman. Kennedy does a good job of using a woman's voice. I actually forgot that a man wrote it. Is that sexist? I don't know. I just know that he's a good storyteller. There always seems to be dark elements and tortured souls in his novels but not so much that you get depressed and want to give up reading. Instead, ...more
Sarah Rhouma
Nov 02, 2013 Sarah Rhouma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
في مرحلة ما من شدة الألم الذي سببه لي الكتاب قررت التوقف عنه . ثم وجدتني البارحة اقرأ منه 300 صفحة دون إدراك
غرقت في بركة من الكآبة و- المآسي
لا انصح به أحداً من أصحاب القلوب الضعيفة
أسلوب الكاتب يذكرني بأسلوب : ALBERT CAMUS . جمل قصيرة وبسيطة لكن اثرها لم يكن أبداً بالسطحي . يجعلك جزءًا من المجموعة ترى ما ترى الشخصية وتحس ما ينتابها من ألم .

لم أكن يوماً من محبي الروايات لكن دوغلاس يعلم كيف يجعلك تنتظر كل تفصيل قادم

الرواية تبدو في الظاهر قصة حب تراجيدي . والمتأمل لن يجد للحب فيها سوى مكان ضئيل
Michele
Nov 17, 2012 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Douglas Kennedy book I read. I thought he must actually be a woman and then checked and realized he really was a man. I was blown away at his dead-on insights into the emotions of women in marriage, divorce, motherhood, grief, etc.

The book opens with a woman's loss of her mother. The roller coaster of emotions she experiences, and the way that loss leads the daughter to review the breakdown of her own marriage was very moving to me. The grief was incredibly raw to me.

And the
Emily
Oct 14, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greatbooks
Somehow, whenever I'm sick I find myself reading a WWII novel, and really loving it...

(Not sure what the cause/effect relationship is here, but I'm not really complaining.)

Actually, the main story of this novel is set in the period of time immediately following WWII through the height of the McCarthy Era. Two people meet one night at a party, but life separates them and puts them on paths that really aren't headed the same way. Usually, when two characters are presented as "soul mates," I don't
Miruna
Aug 23, 2015 Miruna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
Simplu: WOW
Cécile
Jan 26, 2009 Cécile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je serai Mme Kennedy, je m'inquiéterai de la propension de son mari à écrire avec autant de dévouement (et de talent) sur la lente agonie des histoires d'amour, sur la trahison des femmes par les hommes, sur l'enfer que peut devenir le couple. Comme dans Une relation dangereuse, La Poursuite du bonheur (quel beau titre d'ailleurs !) parle d'une histoire d'amour qui va mal tourner. Mais cette fois, l'excellent écrivain délaisse le Londres des années 90 pour l'Amérique du McCarthysme, cette terrib ...more
Kathe Coleman
Jun 19, 2015 Kathe Coleman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Pursuit of Happiness by Douglass Kennedy
The measure of a great book for me is when they characters continue to reside in my head long after reading the novel. This is the case in The Pursuit of Happiness. It is a story of the forties and fifties and narrated by two characters; Kate the younger more modern women and the elder Sara self-driven writer. . .the connecting link being Kate’s father. Both characters are deeply flawed but in a way that for me was believable in a somewhat dysfunctiona
Karen
Jan 09, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up in New Zealand. My first Douglas Kennedy experience - and definitely not my last! This guy can write! Pursuit of Happiness is written in the first person from a women's perspective, set in America during the McCarthy era. It tells the tales of the ups and downs of Sara, her brother Eric, and Jack Malone - a wayward stranger who turns up at Eric's New Years eve party.

I couldn't put this book down. Until it ended. Then I went to amazon.co.uk and ordered more Douglas Kennedy!

If you
Isidora
Jun 08, 2011 Isidora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denna bok valde jag till min semesterläsning. En lättläst romantisk kärlekshistoria skulle jag få. Men jag fick ju så mycket mer. En lustfylld läsupplevelse, en välskriven berättelse som berör och glöder, med underbara tidsskildringarna (Amerika i McCartneys era) och karaktärerna levande och realistiska. Om en stark kvinna, om kärlek och svek, syskonrelationer och svåra val i svåra tider skrev Kennedy en mycket bra pageturner.
Archana Shrestha
Sep 25, 2015 Archana Shrestha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The sharpness, the narratives, the contrast and homogeneity of post-war and post-modern eras, two brilliant defiant female narrators and all those shades of human emotions are few understatements for this book. It must have been the charm the Autumn shower did on me that I couldn't help but complete the whole thing in one read.
Olga Rozhkova
Jul 18, 2014 Olga Rozhkova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get myself away from this book.. totally plunged into it..
The beauty of such stories is that they might really happen with people around you.
It's a book about personal choice, dignity, love and ability to forgive.
I recommend!
Gina
Jan 28, 2012 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily became one of my favorite books!
Amanda
Feb 28, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buy-on-kindle
Stunning. Beautiful writing, perfectly chosen words, a life presented with all its flaws and highs and lows. I adored every page.
John King
Mar 11, 2017 John King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This sprawling novel captures post war New York City and American mores spot on. There are not many happy people in this book but their stories help us to understand that life is to be lived in spite of our bad decisions. AND, we must learn to forgive each other's wrongful choices. At times I was reminded of those big novels of Irwin Shaw and Herman Wouk. I want to read more of Douglas Kennedy.
Michelle
Douglas Kennedy has a way of capturing the tumult that is life - the swings between highs and lows, the drama, the staleness, and everything in between - and doing so in such a way that utterly captivates the reader. He does so this time while highlighting one of the darkest periods in American post-war history. While the post-WWII era is typically considered one of bucolic happiness, The Pursuit of Happiness explores the fleeting spirit that is happiness and the challenges faced by everyone dur ...more
Lizzy
Wowza. This one was a long one. That’s why I haven’t posted a review in a while. I was working my way through this bad boy, but it was definitely worth it.

This is a book you can really sink in to. It’s setting and the writing are so detailed that it kind of draws you in even if you’re reluctant to the story. Sometimes with historical novels I feel like the author really just wrote a story set in 2014 and just removed the cell phones. This book really gets into the McCarthyism era and all of the
Kayleigh
Jan 18, 2016 Kayleigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
What a beautiful, intelligent, engaging and immersive book.
This is the first Douglas Kennedy I have ever read and I am very much looking forward to reading more of his work based on my experience with this book.
I picked this up one evening because I couldn't find the other book I was reading at the time (my one year-old had stuffed it down the back of the bed as it goes) and I just thought I may as well start this.
I read very slowly and am often interrupted by that same one year-old I mentioned
Nina Draganova
Feb 26, 2016 Nina Draganova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Емоционално опустошаваща . Думите ми няма да са достатъчни , за да изразя всичко онова , което извика в ума ми тази книга. И в душата ми. Много ме разстрои и ме разплака. Много пъти.
По думите на автора -"Плачът е самосъжаление. А самосъжалението не решава нищо."

Невероятни диалози както винаги.

"Човек всъщност никого не познава истински. Мислиш , че познаваш някого, накрая той направо те изумява. Особено ако е човек , с когото те свързва любов."

"Никога не си поставяй за цел да се влюбиш."

"Мъжете
Bring Back Your Lost Love By Indian Black Magic Healer 1 7 Nov 10, 2012 06:23AM
Pursuit of Happiness 1 26 Sep 14, 2011 10:35AM
  • Pengantin Demos Vol. 3 (Akuma no Hanayome, #3)
  • Let Dai, Volume 02
  • Honour Thy Father
  • La Vie d'une autre
  • The Madness of a Seduced Woman
  • No Man's Land
  • The Bleeding Heart
  • Only the Ring Finger Knows: The Ring Will Confess His Love (Only the Ring Finger Knows, #4)
  • X/1999, Volume 18: Inversion
  • In A Good Light
  • Brownies
  • Zennor In Darkness
  • Scent of a Woman
  • Another Part Of The Wood
  • Black Rose Alice, Tome 1 (Black Rose Alice #1)
  • Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale
  • A Spoonful of Jam
  • The Postcard
Douglas Kennedy was born in Manhattan in 1955. He studied at Bowdoin College, Maine and Trinity College, Dublin, returning to Dublin in 1977 with just a trenchcoat, backpack and $300. He co-founded a theatre company and sold his first play, Shakespeare on Five Dollars a Day, to Radio 4 in 1980. In 1988 he moved to London and published a travel book, Beyond the Pyramids. His debut novel The Dead He ...more
More about Douglas Kennedy...

“The only time you truly become an adult is when you finally forgive your parents for being just as flawed as everyone else.” 179 likes
“...hate is a hard thing to sustain. Grief isn't. Grief is something that can stay with you for a very long time” 5 likes