Start by marking “Mischief” as Want to Read:

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  4,124 ratings  ·  119 reviews
Imogen Waterstone has always prided herself on being a thoroughly independent young woman, but now she needs a man of implacable will and nerves of iron. That's why she invited Matthias Marshall, infamous Earl of Colchester, to her home in Upper Strickland. Who better than the legendary explorer to help her lay the perfect trap? Her scheme is simple, really: She plans to l ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published November 29th 2005 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mischief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mischief

Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
My least favorite Amanda Quick to date. The heroine was naive to the point of stupidity at times ! While the story dragged and lacked the captivating factors her other books like Ravished and Dangerous contained.

Vanessa Wu
I think my brain must have turned to candy floss because I'm enjoying this book. It's nonsense but it's literate nonsense. I am listening to it as an unabridged audiobook and it's very good at reminding me of what has just happened in case I'm half asleep, which I usually am. If I were just a bit more intelligent I might be able to ride a horse, phone my boyfriend and complete a sudoku puzzle without missing any of the story. As it is, my boyfriend will have to wait. Actually there are some deli ...more
Roxana-Mălina Chirilă
One star because I will forever remember this book as the book which Zamared too much.

Let me explain: Lord Colchester of Zamar discovered the lost (and dead) kingdom of Zamar, where he found Zamarian artifacts which he brought to London. Imogen Waterstone is a Zamar enthusiast who delves into Zamar scholarship, wears Zamar-themed dresses and has a plot regarding... Zamar.

She involves Colchester in her Zamarian plan, which is to get someone into an expedition to Zamar, where he'll waste all his m
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Imogen Waterstone has come up with a plan to avenge her friend’s murder, however, it involves collecting a promise she has inherited from her uncle from the Earl of Colchester, more commonly known as “Coldblooded Colchester” or “Colchester of Zamar”. When Matthias (the aforementioned Colchester) arrives after his letter from Imogen, he is both irritated, amused, and aroused by her no nonsense attitude and commanding personality, and against his better judgement decides to help her with her ridic ...more
Mischief by Amanda Quick is a fun book and I suggest you read it if you're looking for humor and romance interlaced, plus a little suspense and mystery on the side, because this is exactly what you would get once you read this book.

Imogen Waterstone, the heroine, is old (considering England's standards in the past) and has a tarnished reputation (being seen in a bedchamber with Vanneck, the husband of her so-called best friend Lucy). So she's been shunned by "polite society" because of her disgr
This was complete crap. I was going to rationalize the fact that I finished this by explaining that it was a)offered on Kindle by my library and b)checked in, making it a very rare commodity indeed. But then I realized that every time I actually bother finishing something that I know to be without redeeming qualities I make some type of excuse. Because somehow I'll be absolved of the guilt and embarrassment of finishing utter trash if you think that perhaps I had no choice in the matter. Please ...more
My least favorite Amanda Quicks are the ones that refer to Zamar and Vanza. This one is Zamar. I have learned over many readings, however, to ignore the references to Zamar and enjoy the rest of the story. Imogen is a bit Amazonian for my taste in that she always takes the lead, whether in a waltz or in her search for vengeance, but otherwise, she and Colchester are fun to follow through their adventures together.
Stopping after 6 chapters. I need to accept that my fond memories of Amanda Quick novels are just that...memories. I've outgrown her & find her plots repetitive, her characters cliched, and her writing really nowhere near as good as I remember it being. Maybe I've just read too many Courtney Milan's & Sarah McLean's and Quick then suffers in comparison.
ms bookjunkie
*happy sigh* There's nothing like an old favorite comfort read. Love!
Couldn't put it down- it's hilarious and I'm sorry to see it end-
Jane Reader
Mischief is one of my favorite Amanda Quick novels after Ravished and Mistress. It tells the story of Imogen Waterstone, a "bluestocking" bent on avenging the death of her closest friend, Lucy, Lady Vanneck by using the Earl of Colcester -- an expert on ancient Zamar, a place that has become fashionable to study by members of the ton -- to lure Lucy's husband into funding a Zamarian expedition that will lead him to nothing but financial ruin.

Colcester earned the moniker Cold-blooded thanks to h
While a fun installment in her slightly alternative universe with the finding of a mysterious island called Zamar, which has captivated the historical period (which feels more victorian than regency), this somehow just didn't quite do it for me. I think that the pacing was a little off for me and I really didn't feel a sense of menace from the major bad character.

Imogen Waterstone has a plan to get her revenge on Vanneck, a man who married a friend and then broke her heart. Who also was involve
"It is rather unsettling to think that there is a murderer running about," Horatia said.
“Knew a murderer once,” Mrs. Vine announced matter-of-factly as she came through the doorway with a tray of tea. “Rented this house five, maybe six years ago. Right proper gentleman, he was. Very clean in his habits compared to some of the tenants I’ve had here.”
Everyone in the parlor turned to stare at Mrs. Vine.
Imogen found her voice first. “You kept house for a murderer, Mrs. Vine?”
“I did indeed. Didn’t
Kristen MacDonald
I want to say this is more of a 3.5 stars book. I oscillated between "meh," and "this is pretty good," at different parts of the book but the balance was fairly even.

This book was entertaining but it did fall short of the mark in some aspects. I will say that I did not see the ending coming, so thumbs up there, although that may be because it was such a long time in doing so. I feel the author wrote several good scenes and then tried to fit them all in, and while several wound up tying in quite
This was equally an unexpected treat (i.e. much better than the description) and not nearly as delicious as some of the other Amanda Quick romance - mysteries. Imogen, the heroine is everything I love about the author’s distinctive style – bold, courageous, confident and at the same time innocently naïve and utterly lovable. We don’t get to know Mathias as much as I wanted to – I would have liked to know a lot more about his days as a gaming hall owner, his adventures traveling around the world, ...more
I would really say Mischief was a 3.5 star rating. I didn't care too much for the heroine, particularly her ridiculous calling their make out sessions 'zamarian love-making techniques'. If you read the book you'll understand. I did however like the hero and the dialogue between him and the heroine. This just seemed to be one of those books where it was good just not quite something that blew me away either.
Very fun read. I absolutely adored both the main characters in this. Imogen not only has a fantastic name but is so upbeat and positive you can't help but love her. The Hero is appropriately broody and smart and the story itself was rather fun. They mention Zamar a little too much and the sex could have been a little hotter but overall I enjoyed this and had a hard time putting it down. Good read!
I had to talk myself into finishing this. The heroine Imogen is a clever scholar but so headstrong in her naiveté that it tips over into stupidity.
One if the best books I've read from her. I loved the interactions between the two main characters. It was a fun read all through out.
Wow. This is the kind of romance novel that fuels the genre's bad reputation. The plot was utterly ridiculous with some smut thrown in for good measure. I don't know if I can finish it- I have four hours left in my audiobook, and I feel like it could have ended a few hours ago. I thought this might be a murder mystery/romance kind of like Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily series. This book falls seriously short. Imogen assumes she knows who killed her friend, and proceeds with a harebrained plan to r ...more
ooooh, this was a goooood one!
Amanda Quick’s novels could never be classed as thought-provoking literary gems, but then that’s not what they’re supposed to be. They’re supposed to be quick, easy, light reads that don’t require too much participation from the reader’s brain. And that’s exactly what they provide. If I want a light piece of historical romance fluff then I often find myself considering Amanda Quick’s works. But then Amanda Quick has a certain sameness to her books due to the fact that she reuses plot devices.

This is my first romance novel. I remember it fondly - I read it back, maybe six years ago, and had to read it all over again. I always associated romance with Harlequin and that stuff my mother would tell me as a kid, "You can read anything you want, just not in that section until you're older." Looking back, I'm surprised I listened...

Regardless, the book itself I enjoyed immensely. It circles around "Immodest" Imogen Waterstone and "Cold-Blooded" Colchester. Imogen is on a hunt for the real r
Hmmmm. I liked this book. It was cute and fun and fluffy. I can see why this book would annoy some ppl. While I was reading I came across this quote - "How can you be so bloody damn intelligent on the one hand and so incredibly naive on the other?" And that pretty much sums up Imogen. She is like this strange hybrid between the three stooges and Pollyanna. She is constantly performing slapstick routines. Either bumping into something, flailing an arm about, attempting to lead while waltzing etc. ...more
I really enjoyed this book, a historical mystery-romance by Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Amanda Quick.

Imogen Waterstone is certain that her best friend Lucy was murdered by her husband. She hatches a scheme to trap the murderer, but she needs the help of a man to do so. She calls in a promise that Mathias Marshall, also known as Cold-blooded Colchester, made to her uncle and entangles him in her scheme.

Matthias is an explorer and scholar and discoverer of the lost civilisation of ancient Zamar. H
Easy reading with a plot that kept moving along. Imogen was clutzy, but still smart, determined, nieve about sex yet made for fun reading with thinking it was Zamarian style. Glad to see that Matthias did not just use her but respected her intelligence, willing to be the nice guy with the cold blooded reputation. Enjoyed that there was some mystery but not the main point of the story. Surprised at how fast they were married but it did not spoil the story.
I really enjoyed this book a lot. It had a perfect chemistry, love, action and mystery. The silver streak in Matthias's head was something really cool. Earlier in the book i felt Imogen to be naive as Matthias felt too but later it becomes clear that she is just an example of the saying, "The beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder". She convinced Matthias as well as me that she is not stupid but just has a different perspective. Its a sweet story with lots of drama. An enjoyable read.
First of all, let me say how AMAZING Barbara Rosenblat is as a narrator. AQ/JAK writes very passionate and intelligent female characters and I always feel like BR does a great job bringing them to life.

Immodest Imogen is another ORIGINAL female character. She knows more about ancient Zamar than she does social graces. But it is that love that strikes up her very passionate relationship with Cold-Blooded Colchester. She immediately sees the lonely, vulnerable man inside of the aloof, cold exteri
Jun 03, 2015 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery/romance/Victorian requests
"Immodest Imogen" is not too worried about her reputation, after all it is beyond redemption, and determined to avenge her friend's death. To do this she call's in her uncle's dept to "Cold-blooded Colchester. Sparks fly between Imogen and Colchester, but what raises this story above the average for me is the overcoming of misunderstandings and the acceptance of friends.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine and add cover 3 19 Oct 13, 2012 09:10PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Mischief (1996) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 12:20PM
  • Absolutely, Positively
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...

“I have often sat in that chair behind my desk and wondered how you would look lying naked here on this sofa. It was a form of self-inflicted torture."
“Good heavens”
“A lady can always find the appropriate words for any occasion - Aunt Horatia” 10 likes