Start by marking “Mischief” as Want to Read:
Mischief

Mischief

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  4,796 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
Imogen Waterstone has always prided herself on being a thoroughly independent young woman, but now she needs a man of implacable will and nerves of iron. That's why she invited Matthias Marshall, infamous Earl of Colchester, to her home in Upper Strickland. Who better than the legendary explorer to help her lay the perfect trap? Her scheme is simple, really: She plans to l ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published November 29th 2005 by Bantam (first published 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mischief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mischief

Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
My least favorite Amanda Quick to date. The heroine was naive to the point of stupidity at times ! While the story dragged and lacked the captivating factors her other books like Ravished and Dangerous contained.

Dissapointed.
Roxana-Mălina Chirilă
Apr 22, 2015 Roxana-Mălina Chirilă rated it did not like it
One star because I will forever remember this book as the book which Zamared too much.

Let me explain: Lord Colchester of Zamar discovered the lost (and dead) kingdom of Zamar, where he found Zamarian artifacts which he brought to London. Imogen Waterstone is a Zamar enthusiast who delves into Zamar scholarship, wears Zamar-themed dresses and has a plot regarding... Zamar.

She involves Colchester in her Zamarian plan, which is to get someone into an expedition to Zamar, where he'll waste all his m
Vanessa Wu
Jul 10, 2011 Vanessa Wu rated it really liked it
I think my brain must have turned to candy floss because I'm enjoying this book. It's nonsense but it's literate nonsense. I am listening to it as an unabridged audiobook and it's very good at reminding me of what has just happened in case I'm half asleep, which I usually am. If I were just a bit more intelligent I might be able to ride a horse, phone my boyfriend and complete a sudoku puzzle without missing any of the story. As it is, my boyfriend will have to wait. Actually there are some deli ...more
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Jul 11, 2010 Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance fans; Humour & Romance
Imogen Waterstone has come up with a plan to avenge her friend’s murder, however, it involves collecting a promise she has inherited from her uncle from the Earl of Colchester, more commonly known as “Coldblooded Colchester” or “Colchester of Zamar”. When Matthias (the aforementioned Colchester) arrives after his letter from Imogen, he is both irritated, amused, and aroused by her no nonsense attitude and commanding personality, and against his better judgement decides to help her with her ridic ...more
carrietracy
Jul 10, 2012 carrietracy rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, racy-romance
This was complete crap. I was going to rationalize the fact that I finished this by explaining that it was a)offered on Kindle by my library and b)checked in, making it a very rare commodity indeed. But then I realized that every time I actually bother finishing something that I know to be without redeeming qualities I make some type of excuse. Because somehow I'll be absolved of the guilt and embarrassment of finishing utter trash if you think that perhaps I had no choice in the matter. Please ...more
Jasmin
May 13, 2010 Jasmin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romance fanatics
Mischief by Amanda Quick is a fun book and I suggest you read it if you're looking for humor and romance interlaced, plus a little suspense and mystery on the side, because this is exactly what you would get once you read this book.

Imogen Waterstone, the heroine, is old (considering England's standards in the past) and has a tarnished reputation (being seen in a bedchamber with Vanneck, the husband of her so-called best friend Lucy). So she's been shunned by "polite society" because of her disgr
Maria
My least favorite Amanda Quicks are the ones that refer to Zamar and Vanza. This one is Zamar. I have learned over many readings, however, to ignore the references to Zamar and enjoy the rest of the story. Imogen is a bit Amazonian for my taste in that she always takes the lead, whether in a waltz or in her search for vengeance, but otherwise, she and Colchester are fun to follow through their adventures together. There were a few spots where I was confused by the timing. When I thought several ...more
Jan
Jun 05, 2010 Jan rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down- it's hilarious and I'm sorry to see it end-
Pamela Shropshire
Imogen Waterstone is obsessed with Zamar, a legendary lost civilization (think Atlantis) that has been recently rediscovered by Matthias, the Earl of Colchester. Imogen's uncle has recently died and left his estate to her. It includes many ancient artifacts, some Zamarian in origin. She writes Colchester and asks him to come help her identify them.

A few years previously, Imogen's reputation was ruined in Society when she was found in a bedchamber with Lord Vanneck, the husband of Imogen's best f
PointyEars42
Dec 04, 2013 PointyEars42 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lemmed-dnf
Stopping after 6 chapters. I need to accept that my fond memories of Amanda Quick novels are just that...memories. I've outgrown her & find her plots repetitive, her characters cliched, and her writing really nowhere near as good as I remember it being. Maybe I've just read too many Courtney Milan's & Sarah McLean's and Quick then suffers in comparison.
Joy
Jun 20, 2012 Joy rated it did not like it
I had to talk myself into finishing this. The heroine Imogen is a clever scholar but so headstrong in her naiveté that it tips over into stupidity.
Jane Reader
May 27, 2013 Jane Reader rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Mischief is one of my favorite Amanda Quick novels after Ravished and Mistress. It tells the story of Imogen Waterstone, a "bluestocking" bent on avenging the death of her closest friend, Lucy, Lady Vanneck by using the Earl of Colcester -- an expert on ancient Zamar, a place that has become fashionable to study by members of the ton -- to lure Lucy's husband into funding a Zamarian expedition that will lead him to nothing but financial ruin.

Colcester earned the moniker Cold-blooded thanks to h
Lisa
This book would have been better served if it was about half as long. It was 10 CDs in audiobook format and I had to force myself to finish it. There were a lot of things about the story that were irritating and in a shorter book these would have been only passing annoyances, but in a book this long they became major issues.

For example, the heroine, Imogen was very annoying. She dominated every scene by just never shutting up and running roughshod over everyone else in the discussion with her (u
Julie
Dec 24, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
On audio with Barbara Rosenblatt narrating this wasn't bad, but again I had trouble with the actual plot and couldn't help comparing so much of it to the superior Elizabeth Peter's sleuthing couple Amelia Peabody and Emerson (especially since Rosenblatt narrates those books too!) Two intellectuals interested in ancient archaeology partner up which leads them to danger and romance, etc. Here we have spinster, Imogene Waterstone, asking Matthias, Earl of Colchester to pretend he is interested in m ...more
Maverickgirl31
Jan 26, 2015 Maverickgirl31 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
First of all, let me say how AMAZING Barbara Rosenblat is as a narrator. AQ/JAK writes very passionate and intelligent female characters and I always feel like BR does a great job bringing them to life.

Immodest Imogen is another ORIGINAL female character. She knows more about ancient Zamar than she does social graces. But it is that love that strikes up her very passionate relationship with Cold-Blooded Colchester. She immediately sees the lonely, vulnerable man inside of the aloof, cold exteri
Deirdre
While a fun installment in her slightly alternative universe with the finding of a mysterious island called Zamar, which has captivated the historical period (which feels more victorian than regency), this somehow just didn't quite do it for me. I think that the pacing was a little off for me and I really didn't feel a sense of menace from the major bad character.

Imogen Waterstone has a plan to get her revenge on Vanneck, a man who married a friend and then broke her heart. Who also was involve
Kami
Jan 29, 2014 Kami rated it it was amazing
Very fun read. I absolutely adored both the main characters in this. Imogen not only has a fantastic name but is so upbeat and positive you can't help but love her. The Hero is appropriately broody and smart and the story itself was rather fun. They mention Zamar a little too much and the sex could have been a little hotter but overall I enjoyed this and had a hard time putting it down. Good read!
Summer
I would really say Mischief was a 3.5 star rating. I didn't care too much for the heroine, particularly her ridiculous calling their make out sessions 'zamarian love-making techniques'. If you read the book you'll understand. I did however like the hero and the dialogue between him and the heroine. This just seemed to be one of those books where it was good just not quite something that blew me away either.
Audrey
Feb 22, 2016 Audrey rated it it was ok
Too much of everything.
Michelle
Mar 01, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
ooooh, this was a goooood one!
Andrea
Apr 15, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing
One if the best books I've read from her. I loved the interactions between the two main characters. It was a fun read all through out.
ms bookjunkie
*happy sigh* There's nothing like an old favorite comfort read. Love!
Vier
May 07, 2017 Vier rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who love sweet stories with intelligent females
Loved the plot, the main characters, especially the heroine. There were no cliche misunderstandings or silly fights, the mystery was actually (surprisingly) interesting.

The relationship was incredibly sweet and I loved that they were actually straightforward to each other instead of hiding their feelings (that happens way too often in in this kind of novels, unfortunately). The ending was near perfect (perhaps a little bit too abrupt?) but it was brilliant that he (view spoiler)
Maggie Brogden
May 18, 2017 Maggie Brogden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
COLCHESTER AND IMOGEN

As always, enjoyed Krentz voice. This who done it kept ,me guessing for longer than usual. Signature spun KY off beat heroine and laconic hero.
Brianna
Mar 13, 2017 Brianna rated it really liked it
You don't go to McDonald's for a steak, and this type of silly HR isn't going to change the course of literature. However, just how fresh french fries can cure a junk food craving, Mischief hits the spot if you know what you're signing up for. The characters were adequately likable, and as I'm an anthropology major I found the antiquarian theme cute if not a little heavy handed. I listened the the unabridged audio book over a weekend and it was enjoyable.

So while I give this 4 stars, it's 4 sta
Rhonda Soukup
Another "quick" Amanda Quick read. This author continued with her romance/mystery format which I like because let's face it, we all know the characters are going to end up together. But what we don't know is who-done-it! And I like guessing. In this story said female character inherits goodies from her uncle and lures the male character into a scheme to get revenge on her dead friend's murdering husband.
Celia
Jan 12, 2017 Celia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing book

This book made me dive in the exciting story for the length time. Imogene Waterstone was very original and brilliant lady, who didn't give a fig of what the Polite Society thought about her. And I love how Matthias Colchester reacted to Imogene's request and behavior. So Amanda Quick did the wonderful book again. Do add it to your Romantic collection.
Rea
Feb 22, 2014 Rea rated it liked it
Amanda Quick’s novels could never be classed as thought-provoking literary gems, but then that’s not what they’re supposed to be. They’re supposed to be quick, easy, light reads that don’t require too much participation from the reader’s brain. And that’s exactly what they provide. If I want a light piece of historical romance fluff then I often find myself considering Amanda Quick’s works. But then Amanda Quick has a certain sameness to her books due to the fact that she reuses plot devices.

In
Mariachiara
Dec 09, 2014 Mariachiara rated it really liked it
"It is rather unsettling to think that there is a murderer running about," Horatia said.
“Knew a murderer once,” Mrs. Vine announced matter-of-factly as she came through the doorway with a tray of tea. “Rented this house five, maybe six years ago. Right proper gentleman, he was. Very clean in his habits compared to some of the tenants I’ve had here.”
Everyone in the parlor turned to stare at Mrs. Vine.
Imogen found her voice first. “You kept house for a murderer, Mrs. Vine?”
“I did indeed. Didn’t
Kristen MacDonald
I want to say this is more of a 3.5 stars book. I oscillated between "meh," and "this is pretty good," at different parts of the book but the balance was fairly even.

This book was entertaining but it did fall short of the mark in some aspects. I will say that I did not see the ending coming, so thumbs up there, although that may be because it was such a long time in doing so. I feel the author wrote several good scenes and then tried to fit them all in, and while several wound up tying in quite
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine and add cover 3 19 Oct 13, 2012 09:10PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Mischief (1996) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 12:20PM
  • Absolutely, Positively
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...

“I have often sat in that chair behind my desk and wondered how you would look lying naked here on this sofa. It was a form of self-inflicted torture."
“Good heavens”
12 likes
“A lady can always find the appropriate words for any occasion - Aunt Horatia” 11 likes