Start by marking “John Le Carré : Three Complete Novels -- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy / The Honourable Schoolboy / Smiley's People” as Want to Read:

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  685 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Three thrilling tales of espionage from the superselling author of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. Le Carre's highly acclaimed spy thrillers enjoy long stays on the New York Times bestseller list. Includes Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, The Honourable Schoolboy, and Smiley's People.
Published May 8th 1995 by Wings (first published 1982)

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo IshiguroA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensMacbeth by William ShakespeareKing Lear by William ShakespeareMrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
40+ Main Characters
55th out of 224 books — 101 voters
The Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Winter Reads
104th out of 393 books — 351 voters

More lists with this book...

Karl W.
Read the three novels in this collection a few decades ago and really loved them. But if anything, reading all three in quick succession this past week has been even more enjoyable. Today I ordered the "Tinker, Tailor" DVD. I enjoyed the BBC productions when PBS showed them back in the day. Nostalgia time, I guess, but really, these books are MOST enjoyable!
The absolute best of the espionage genre. Le Carre is a keen observer of human behavior, and often reveals insights even into the human heart. The good guys aren't that good. The bad guys - maybe not much worse. You never know where his stories will take you - and the ride is always worth it.
Noel Hynd
Perhaps the best modern spy story ever, based loosely upon the Kim Philby scandal that rocked British and US intelligence in the early 1960's. Brilliant, complex and moody.....
These are the classic and perhaps the best novels about spycraft and the Cold War to be published by a masterful author.
Barbara Kass
Nobody does it like John LeCarré, absolutely the best of the genre. And the BBC dramatizations did him justice.
Reuben Alcatraz
An omnibus of three character driven and highly cerebral cold war spy novels starring George Smiley of British intelligence. I found George Smiley to be a pleasantly anti-heroic hero. He is old, dumpy, frequently cuckolded, and the closest he gets to an "action sequence" is pulling flashback-ridden all-nighters sifting through old MI6 case files to catch a soviet mole.

The novels have a distinctly dim moral outlook. Essentially all personal relationships, be they friendship or marriage, seem to b
It took me way longer than I expected to read all three of these classic spy novels by Le Carré. I read T,T,S,S last year, but ended up reading it again, just so I remembered the back story for the second and third novels.

The good news is that these are great books, full of fascinating detail about the Cold War spy world. The characters, especially the secondary characters, are subtly drawn, but they're memorable for sure. Le Carré doesn't spend a lot of time on straight-up description, but eac
I just reread this collection of the three "Smiley" novels (in a Norwegian, which isn't quite the same thing, though the translator is good). The arena John le Carré creates here (or, rather, reports from, since he was a part of the real thing for a while) is the stealthy and paranoid world of Cold War espionage and counter-espionage, with the physically unimpressive spy-hunter George Smiley as the absent-minded and socially inept anti-hero.

The three books follow each other, not unlike the three
The plot surrounds the discovery of a double agent at the highest level of the British Intelligency agency but the novel goes, at great length and in great detail, to describe the social and physical life of British espionage agents and their day-to-day activities. As usual, Le Carre's hero, Mr. George Smiley, seems extraordinarily ordinary in an anti-James Bond kind of way: he's a pudgy, middle-aged, quiet, bespectacled Oxford man whose beautiful wife has just run off with one of his colleagues ...more
Endre Barath
In fairness to disclosure, I have almost every John le Carre's books. This one, I read when it came out and the impetus was to re-read it, since the movie is coming out soon and I had virtually no recollection of the story. Well I am glad I re-read it. This book is the first of a trilogy that le Carre' has written. ( I suspect had I not re-read the book I would have challenges following the movie)
This is not a spoiler alert, because the story is simple, but you will be wondering who is the mole
Cormac Farrell
This is the definitive Cold War espionage masterpiece. There is no glamour, no money no beautiful girls. The backdrop is bleak, the murky intentions of the agents even bleaker. Behind it all I would argue that Smiley is the most perfectly drawn character in modern English literature. The quality of the plotting, the realism of the characters, and the accuracy of the trade craft elevate this collection to the very pinnacle of the genre. Work of art.
The end of the the trilogy, in a matter of paragraphs, adds so much value to the series as a whole. A simple espionage tale gains weight and gravity in the deep submission of the characters we have followed so closely. Highly recommended.
Steve Burch
These three novels are perhaps the closest we have to Dickens. The cast of characters is enormous and every character, from the major players to those who have maybe one scene, are both complex and memorable. LeCarre's themes of the various levels of betrayal are handled with surety and wit. Smiley may be one the greatest characters of the twentieth century, to misquote Chesterton on another fictional figure Smiley is the very bloodhound of heaven. and for those who care the two filmed adaptatio ...more
A great read and heavy tome of 1 book of over 1,000 pages with the 3 novels to lug back and forth on the train!
Amy Smallwood-ringenberg
These are great - love the details on tradecraft! 4 stars for Honourable Schoolboy - harder to get into.
Three great espionage thrillers though seem less believable with the passing years.
Frank Pinelander
The reason I read this series, was after an 18F associate, in dialogue with someone associated with Anonymous, was asked questions who's answers were NOFORN.

The recommendation to "Maxim" was to read this series, not for the storyline, but what was between the lines of the story itself.

The stories themselves I found mediocre, but the details about Tradecraft are somewhat shocking, especially given the era in which the books were written.

But then, that part of it would've gone way over most peopl
A well written Anthology of classic spy novels. Reading some earlier reviews I can't sign up witht he general opinion that Smiley's peaple is the let down in the series. I personally find the Honorable Schoolboy rather tiresome, while I enjoyed Smiley's people a lot more. In my opinion the Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's peaople are excellent books well in LeCarre's other excellent Smiley Novel A Death of Quality.
Allison Sandve
The masterpiece of the Cold War.

There's not much I can say about the Karla Trilogy that hasn't been said before. One interesting note: When the original "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" was being cast -- with Alec Guinness as George Smiley -- the interest among actors was huge. I've read that the casting of TTSS wreaked havoc on the theater scene of London's West End. All the good actors wanted to be in TTSS. They were.
Jack Thomas
I had read Tinker Tailor ... and Smiley's People before. This was a good way to spend some time while I didn't really feel too good. They are well written, keep your interest, and it's not easy to see the finish from the course.
Ok, I did not finish this book. I plodded through it and put it down. I didn't like the main characters, and the ones that I got into, were taken away. I was reading it on a kindle and was busy so I kept putting it down which made it even harder to stick with.
I think it had to be 'me' not the book, and maybe we just weren't compatible.
Mary Mcknight
I read all these books several times nearly 20 years ago. Lately, I've been missing Smiley and thought I would visit him again. So far, it's even better than the first couple of times!

4/15 Plowing through The Honorable Schoolboy. Makes much more sense this time around. Am enjoying it, but prefer Tinker Tailor.
Richard Epstein
Rumpole, Paul Christopher, Christopher Tietjens, George Smiley -- not too many supermen in my list of favorite fictional heroes. I guess Paul Christopher comes closest. But you can't go wrong with Smiley. Before le Carré was overtaken by ideology, he wrote these, and they are as good as the genre gets.
I started this book on my kindle, but could not get into it. Maybe the subject matter was just too outdated to be reading on a kindle? ... Or it's just me. Or maybe I just didn't have enough time in one go to read enough to make it understandable/enjoyable. But I put it down for maybe later....
Le Carré’s employment of language is sooo elegant. I’m a fan of Stephen King’s writing also, which is rooted in the vernacular and has a grittier poeticism. That stated, I think le Carré’s writing is definitive. I don’t think it too bold to name him a writer’s writer.
Jun 27, 2008 Mom rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that appreciates the 'game' that the 'gray men' and women play
Shelves: fred
Why has this not been a major motion picture? Probably no major actors that are valid enough to play Smiley. One of the best surgical excavations (after a mole) ever written. I love this guy. Former careerist at MI-5 who writes under the 'nomme de plume' of LeCarre.
I loved these books - they brought me up and made me (in part) who I am today and why I think the way I do. Maybe I was reading them a little too early but I don't think I turned out that bad. The BBC production with Alec Guinness is phenomenal, too.
Dec 28, 2007 Moran rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: spy novel afficianados
This brilliant trilogy of spy novels unspools slowly, building up tension not just over one book (though each stands on its own), but through all three books.
The thrill is all psychological and painstakingly laid out.
Craig White
Really loved this set of three books. If you like your spy thrillers well written, intelligent, twisty and complex - i believe this set will form a new benchmark that will be difficult to top.

George Smiley is one of my all time favorite fiction characters. Even though Le Carre' has wrapped up Smiley's career I wish he could write another one to fill in the voids between the books.
WW II Spy Novels: We've got three members reading LeCarre right now.. 10 12 Apr 07, 2015 11:06AM
  • The Adventure of the Dancing Men and Other Sherlock Holmes Stories
  • The Mystery of Olga Chekhova
  • One More Sunday
  • GoldenEye (John Gardner's Bond, #15)
  • The Golf Omnibus
  • Background to Danger
  • Favorite Father Brown Stories
  • Christopher's Ghosts (Paul Christopher #1o)
  • On Another Man's Wound
  • Twinkle, Twinkle Little Spy
  • The Crooked Hinge (Dr. Gideon Fell, #8)
  • The Day of the Jackal/The Dogs of War
  • The Mastermind of Mars and A Fighting Man of Mars (Barsoom, #6-7)
  • North from Rome
  • Human Is?: A Philip K. Dick Reader (Gollancz S.F.)
  • The Art of Betrayal: Life and Death in the British Secret Service
  • Guerilla Days in Ireland: A Personal Account of the Anglo-Irish War
  • The Man Who Would Be King and Other Stories
John le Carré, the pseudonym of David John Moore Cornwell (born 19 October 1931 in Poole, Dorset, England), is an English author of espionage novels. Le Carré has resided in St Buryan, Cornwall, Great Britain, for more than 40 years, where he owns a mile of cliff close to Land's End.