Start by marking “Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)

Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery #7)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Ruffly, a mutt who hears for the hearing-impaired, tunes into sounds no humans can hear when he and his owner move into the home of a recently deceased dog-lover--and amateur sleuth Holly Winter suspects murder.

From the Paperback edition.
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published October 1st 1994 by Crimeline (first published March 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Ruffly Speaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruffly Speaking

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
90th out of 638 books — 1,263 voters
This Dog for Hire by Carol Lea BenjaminA Shot in the Bark by C.A. NewsomeMurder Strikes a Pose by Tracy WeberDog on It by Spencer QuinnA Fistful of Collars by Spencer Quinn
Dog Related Mysteries
28th out of 108 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Carissa Gilman
Susan Conant is my favorite dog mystery writer because her writing is witty and intelligent, but she is not afraid to poke a little fun at the liberal intellectual culture of Cambridge. This one has a bit of a different tone than some of her other books since it is unclear throughout much of the book whether a crime has actually been committed or not. Thus the approach is a little more subtle. But if you enjoy her other books, you will enjoy this one. And if you have never read her, this is as g ...more
Dagny
Susan Conant's seventh mystery featuring Holly Winter, writer, journalist, owner, and trainer of malamutes is especially fascinating because it features a hearing ear dog trained to assist the hearing impaired.
Elaine
This book was hard for me to get thru and the author seemed to just go off on tangents that didn't really add to the story making me wonder if there was a minimum number of pages required.
Pam
Very poorly written. As soon as you meet the murderer, you know, it is that easy to figure out. The characters seem to have changing motives depending on what the author is trying to do. And there were times I was just plain confused as to what was going on. There was a lot of this:

"Hi, how are you?"

I stopped when he said this, what did he mean? This floored me.

What I am trying to say, the characters kept acting like something meant something, but only the author knew. In her attmept to make i
Oswego Public Library District
There is a non-violent death and thus a mystery surrounding it. This is, however, primarily a book about dogs and issues surrounding them. It's for people who love dogs and despise euthanasia. It's also for people who do not like dogs who bark a lot, mess up the yard, shed, and run loose. It is educational as to the use of dogs as hearing guide dogs for the deaf similar to those who assist the visually-impaired. The author is an advocate for the Alaskan Malamute, a huge powerful and stunningly b ...more
Ed
#7 in the Dog Lover's series. Holly Winter returns with her pair of malamutes (don't call them huskies!) in this series about a Cambridge , MA based writer for dog magazines. Add a half star if your dog sleeps on your bed with you.

Dog Lover's series - Holly Winter, writer for Dog's Life magazine, spends most of her waking hours immersed in her subject. Dog talk of all sorts abounds, from obedience training, shows, and breeds to temperament, grooming, and antics. Even a ``hearing'' dog appears as
Gloria
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
Sep 20, 2014 Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Terri
I enjoy reading these books. But I have to say, for a mystery, there's very little pertaining to the mystery. Most of the books in this series end up very philisophical. The author's church is UKC, their rules is her bible. That's fine. She loves her malamutes, and that's fine, too. I like reading about them. But there's lots of times that the story gets completely lost in the fog of connecting every thing to UKC rules, dog (especially malamute) attributes, both physical and mental, and it's dif ...more
crayolaab
Once again, Holly Winter faces an acquaintance from the dog world who has died rather suddenly. At the same time, she is trying to help her tenant cope with hearing loss and playing host to her cousin, who is in town for the summer working at a children's day camp.

I almost felt like there was just a little bit TOO much going on in this book - lots of new characters and situations - but in the end it all tied together quite nicely.
I was pleased when a friend informed me of Conant's dog/detective series. Growing up with a grandmother who devoured every "The Cat Who..." story, which never interested me, I have long wanted dog-themed books of same.

The author does not disappoint. The books are witty, informational, and quick-reads, without being too predictable.
Mary Kay
Quite interesting, since it involves one hard of hearing and one deaf person plus a hearing dog. It therefore provides an expanded understanding of the people's situation and of the work such a dog does. I wonder if there are any other mysteries that have tackled such a topic. Kudos to Susan Conant!
Kim
This one was lighter than the others in the series, so I enjoyed it more than usual. The one on puppy mills was a bit too much for me. I especially enjoyed the Episcopal Priestess.
Angelie
it's kinda boring on the first part... the thrill only comes out in the last part... but its okay, i still learned a lot (about dogs... hehe... :)
Nancy
These dogs remind me of my Mellie, but she is a Golden Retriever, so much more loving to all.
Tara Choate
I really liked it.
Sylvia
Sep 25, 2009 Sylvia added it
Mystery
Kathy Govreau
Kathy Govreau marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Sarah added it
Oct 28, 2014
♥ Sandi
♥ Sandi marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
  • Rottweiler Rescue: a Dianne Brennan mystery for dog lovers
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • The More the Terrier
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • A Shot in the Bark (Dog Park Mystery, #1)
  • The Dog Park Club: A Mystery
  • A Dog About Town
(1)mysteries

Mother of author Jessica Park aka Jessica Conant-Park

The photo is of Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant, daughter and mother.
More about Susan Conant...
A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1) Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2) A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3) Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6) Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)