Start by marking “Jules Verne's Moon Book - From Earth to the Moon & Round the Moon - Two Complete Books” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,052 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Two complete books by Jules Verne: From Earth to the Moon & Round the Moon. Please visit www.PhoenixPick.com for more great sci-fi at great prices.
Published June 13th 2008 by Phoenix Pick (first published 1863)

Be the first to ask a question about Jules Verne's Moon Book - From Earth to the Moon & Round the Moon - Two Complete Books

Mike Franklin
There are SPOILERS in this review; mostly minor, therefore I've not hidden it.

4 stars

Another very good pair of books from Jules Verne. I would treat them as a single book; I don’t know how Verne’s readers put up with 7 years between the two with the first having such a non-ending!

As expected the science in this book does not hold up, but what do you expect; the first book was written 150 years ago. In fact what is amazing is how close to being right so much of it was and how ambitious a topic th
Adam Smith
Frustrated with peacetime decommissioning, the member of the American Gun Club search for a means that will allow them to fulfil their passion in developing cannons. It is then that president Barbicane proposes a new goal. A goal that will test the mettle and abilities of every member of the Gun Club and will carve their names in history. They’re going to shoot the moon.

What if the NRA was in charge of the space program? This book has been on my list for a while, but I kept putting off on the as
Tony Talbot
This is pure fun from start to finish, and doesn't take itself too seriously at any point. A gun club in the USA, disheartened by peace breaking out and not having anyone to shoot at, decides to build an enormous cannon to fire at the moon.

Amazingly, despite this being written in 1865, the science is pretty spot on; Verne describes the harshness of space and the mechanics of travelling to the moon pretty accurately, even down to things alongside the capsule travelling on the same orbit.

In places
Leigh-ann
Mark Howard
A classic for sure. Turns out I had only a vague notion what this story was about. Very rigorous, scientific treatment of a fanciful (at the time) subject (space travel). Some coincidences were clearly contrived and some of the science was wrong, but a fun read nevertheless. Very glad to have finally read it. I was inspired to read it from having just read "The First Men in the Moon" by H.G. Wells. A trusted friend gave me an old paperback copy encouraging me to read it. Having been written late ...more
Todd Martin
 A Trip to the Moon

There’s a reason From the Earth to the Moon isn’t listed among Jules Verne’s most popular works. It’s terrible. It’s not that the science and technical aspects are laughable (that’s not unexpected given the book was written a century before the NASA program put a man on the moon), but that the story itself is dumb.

Basically, the plot involves shooting a 9 foot hollow aluminum bullet from a cannon so that it escapes the Earth’s gravitational pull and ultimately collides with the moon. The bullet
Tamira Rae
What a difference a translator makes. The previous Verne novel I read, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, translated by William Butcher, was alive with action, excitement, and suspense. This edition of From the Earth to the Moon & Around the Moon, translated by T.K. Linklater, was dull, drab, and flat. Under the hands of different translators, Verne’s novels take on different authors.

T.K. Linklater exterminates the energy in Verne’s ideas. Linklater’s translation is literal and technical.
Amy
I was actually quite surprised how Jules Verne approached a trip to the moon in a rather scientific way (as much as science could be accurate in the 1860s) that turned out to be somewhat true in certain respects. The book is actually two: FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON details the plans to send a cannon-shot manned projectile to the moon, and AROUND THE MOON is the sequel of what happened to the passengers on the rocket bound for the moon, written 5 years later.

I've read a couple of other novels by
dragonhelmuk
arkadyfalls
Very much of its time, this book (originally published as two books, in fact) was nonetheless still jolly good fun! It serves as a solid satire of the capitalist jingoistic war-mongering American (we'll sell to the selenites or start a war with them!), and in that sense feels surprisingly relevant. If you can swallow the wildly implausible conceit of the main story line, the plot is well developed and very enjoyable, and definitely worth a read. A couple of moments struck me as being the product ...more
Clif

When I was an 8 year old, my father took me to see the movie version of From the Earth to the Moon. Like most young boys, I was fascinated by science and technology. Back in the time that Verne wrote these books (1860's) the whole Western world, but particularly Americans, were bonkers about all the new things science was revealing.

In the 20th century, Issac Asimov wrote for the same appetite. Unlike today, where all the gadgets that science makes possible are appreciated for themselves alone, i
Alec Glazier
I thought that this was a phenomenal book. I thought that the concept was spectacular because Verne takes a very unknown setting: the moon, and creates a journey that will open up new things the world. The plot line was a bit distorted because there was a late climax in Part I when the Columbiad is launched. There is an extremely graduate fall of the falling action, as there is a unexpected "spike," as it would look like on the plot line at the end of Part II, when the Columbiad lands. Although ...more
John
John Peel
I admit it - I've loved Jules Verne's stories since I first picked one up, and they're all worth reading over and over. I don't know how often I've read this pair, but they're always great tales. Okay, the science if off - firing the heroes out of a gun would have killed them instantly, and falling back to Earth from space would have... well, you know. But you give Verne some leeway because his tales are so imaginative and enjoyable, and his characters so entertaining.
عاصم جمال
الموضوع بمنتهي الاختصار روايه صغيره جدا بس حوار
جون فيرن بيقول انه الانسان بيحاول يطلع رحله للقمر طب اهلا وسهلا ومبروك لكن المشكله انه جون فيرن حدد المكان بعنايه انه الرحله مفروض تطلع منها وحدد سرعه الانطلاق بل تبأ بظواهر هتحصل مع الرحله زي انعدام الجاذبيه والخ
تحس وانت بتقرا الروايه انك بتقرأ بحث علمي اتكتب عن اول رحله لخارج الارض
الطريف أكتر انه لما دورت لاقيت انه جون فيرن كتب المواصفات بدقه لاول رحله الي القمر قبل ما اول رحله فعليا ب100 سنه
Jen
Apr 02, 2009 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy scifi that is filled with science information
Shelves: 2009
So bearing in mind when this book was written and it being one of the earliest science fiction novels it was still just ok. The adventure of course is completely unrealistic, building a giant gun and shooting a cannonball with people inside of it to the moon, mmmhmm. The part that really kept it low in rating for me though was the amount of detailed information about the moon, and what was known to be facts/theories in the current scientific literature. It was as if Verne was trying to convince ...more
David R.
Despite some ridiculous dialogue this is a fun romp and is among Verne's very best. It's eerie how much this 19th century fantasy presaged Apollo 8 (A ship named the Columbiad launched from Florida in December, with three human passengers, that circles behind the moon, and splashes down in the Pacific!).
Of course, the concept was insane. No human could survive being blasted out of a 200 foot cannon!
Salvador Gomez
La imaginación de Julio Verne, sin quererlo o queriendo, ha definido sin duda el rumbo de la humanidad por los últimos 120 años. De la Tierra a la Luna sigue siendo a la fecha un gran descubrimiento y una gran experiencia para una mente joven que muestre curiosidad por la ciencia y el universo.
Joanna
These books are very much of their time. I wondered if there was a deeper critique of 19th century world politics that I was missing. I would have been happier if there was a little more action - but these books are more about what makes the scientists and adventurers tick. They talk a lot while locked up in their capsule in space.
Ariana Appleby
Well, again with my "let's see why this is a classic", I had to read the story. There were moments where it was interesting, a real story, and was able to focus on it. I had the most trouble with the second story, as most of it is technical lengths from here to there twenty times over. I skipped lots of it, and I think I still got the it.

In that time period, I can see how one may be grasped by the story, it is fantastic in theory! However, being of this day and age, and knowing the outcomes of
Linda Jacobs
Men decide to travel to the moon by means of shooting themselves bullet-like from a giant gun aimed at the moon. Interesting for its pre knowledge of what happens during such a journey and fun from the scientific errors which had to happen.
Kalle
This title combines two of Jules Verne's space stories: From the Earth to the Moon and Around the Moon - a very wise choice, as the latter is not only a sequel but there is also some overlapping in these two books.

I preferred the first one. It has better pacing and there is hardly any fluff; the plot just keeps going like a train. Contrast that to AtM, which covers just a time period of a few days where basically nothing happens and the reader is forced to read through endless chapters of detail
Jan
Written in 1865 - that is 100 years before Apollo 11 - Verne's double novel is both infectiously optimistic and a remarkably prescient. Especially it is noteworthy how Verne abstains from going on a flight of phantasy regarding 'life on the moon'
ricky kaye
Amazing story for its time

Good story, well told. Jules Verne backs up his imagined story with real facts...too cool ! Readers will enjoy this !

Jonathan Carlisle
It was not what I expected. It was written as more of a documentary of a history in the slightest divergence to that which we know. As if it was Jules Verne's written proposition to accomplish the very thing. A good read in light of a curiosity of the history of sci-fi. But I would warn against it as a casual read. It lacks the adventure that one might expect from a sci-fi novel, but that's actually the best part of it. Jules Verne's take on space travel around the moon is probably the closest t ...more
David Richards
Yes, this is an old classic, so the science is a bit dated as are the views, actions and behaviour of the characters. But this is still fun to read. It is a bit slow and over-burdened in places with descriptions of everything, from Florida to the Moon, but the dialogue is also sometimes fun and quirky. This is a slightly comical book as Verne pokes fun at the American ideal of enterprise and offsets it with the more stuffy response from Britain and Europe. You can understand why Steampunk and th ...more
Nicole Rapoli
Parts of it were fun; the main cast of characters were great, so I wish there was more involving their interactions with one another instead of the sometimes lengthy bouts of technical and scientific explanations. These explanatory discussions would drone on and made it easy to fall out of the story. Fun premise, overall.
Peter
very good book but it was a bit slow in places
Eric Moos

Especially considering that this book was written 104 years before man actually walked on the moon, it is truly remarkable that Verne was able to so aptly describe the probabilities, possibillities,and difficulties of space travel. It was done with such humor and irony that it's no wonder that Verne is often referred to as the father of science fiction... a genre which is just as quick to make fun of ideas as it is to embrace them.
Christopher
From the Earth to the Moon 4/5
Around the Moon 2/5

This book was a very brain racking read but it was enjoyable nonetheless. As with all of Verne's books, this novel was very scientific, perhaps the most scientific of the whole lot and thus if you are new to Verne's writing I wouldn't recommend this one for starters. These two novels are continuous, that is, From the Earth to the Moon is part 1 while Around the Moon is part 2 of one storyline.
  • The War in the Air
  • She and Allan
  • The People That Time Forgot (Caspak, #2)
  • The Lost World & Other Stories
  • The Lady of the Shroud
  • The Son of The Red Corsair
  • Gulliver of Mars
  • The Land Leviathan: A New Scientific Romance (Oswald Bastable, #2)
  • Groom Lake
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)

“It is better for us to see the destination we wish to reach, than the point of departure” 3 likes
“in the shape of innumerable stars. Thus was formed the Nebulae, of which astronomers have reckoned up nearly 5,000. Among these 5,000 nebulae there is one which has received the name of the Milky Way, and which contains eighteen” 0 likes