These Vintage Years

These Vintage Years

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  2 reviews
This is a wonderfully warm celebration of age and of life -- the joys and disappointments, the solitary satisfactions, the times of change and beginning again. Margot Benary-Isbert's views on life are not recently arrived at in the realization that the years have slipped by, but are the mature reflections of a complete person.

To share her perceptive thoughts on family, fri...more
Published 1965 by Abingdon Press -- Nashville and New York

To ask other readers questions about These Vintage Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Vintage Years

Angela
This was an interesting and thought-provoking memoir by a woman whose children's books are some of my favorites. It was written near the end of Benary-Isbert's life, as a book of reflections on aging.

There were several sections that would probably have meant more to me if I were in a similar period of my life to hers, but I still learned quite a lot and was inspired by her blend of serenity and anticipation regarding her coming years. It also touches on the subjects of loss and grieving, nursing...more
Melody
Warm and wise but also pretty dated. I like her attitude toward aging, and her feelings about love. She was a good writer and a champion of adventure in all its forms. If you can overlook the sexism with which she writes, there's much to be gleaned here. Interesting, too, to read the older versions of translations of things I love in their more familiar forms. It was interesting to read a 75-year-old's perspective on nursing homes, on being alone after a happy marriage, and on grandchildren. Rec...more
Susan Gregor
Susan Gregor is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Daphne Lee
Daphne Lee marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Pam Hodgson
Pam Hodgson marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2012
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2012
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2010
German-born children’s author known for her "depictions of humane, realistic characters."

Benary-Isbert attended the College St. Carolus and the University of Frankfurt. She worked as a secretary at the Museum of Ethnology and Anthropology in Frankfurt, Germany from 1910-1917, when she married Wilhelm Benary. They settled in Erfurt, in East Germany.

When the Russians took over Germany, she fled to...more
More about Margot Benary-Isbert...
The Ark Rowan Farm Under A Changing Moon The Wicked Enchantment Blue Mystery (Annegret Benninger, #1)