Principles of Macroeconomics

Principles of Macroeconomics

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Mankiw's Principles of Economics textbooks continue to be the most popular and widely used text in the economics classroom. PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS, 4th Edition features a strong revision of content in all 23 chapters while maintaining the clear and accessible writing style that is the hallmark of the highly respected author. The 4th edition also features an expanded...more
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 583 pages
Published February 1st 2006 by Thomson South-Western (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Principles of Macroeconomics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principles of Macroeconomics

Mirek Kukla
In short: not quite as great as "Principles of Microeconomics", but still well-written, informative, and very accessible.

For better or for worse, "Principles of Macroeconomics contains not a shred of math. While this might make for a terrible course textbook, it makes for great leisure reading (well - if you condition on the fact that you are, after all, reading an econ textbook). Mankiw aims to build your intuition, and altogether, he does a pretty good job.

You learn about how GDP is measured,...more
Crwth
Jun 24, 2012 Crwth is currently reading it
I read parts of this book when I took the course, three or four years ago, as I started yet another undergraduate degree. Now that I'm no longer able to pursue that, I'm finding my interest in economics is still piqued, and thus I'm revisiting this text, along with my others, front-to-back, to keep the knowledge fresh and to learn the material that wasn't covered by my instructors at the time.
Olga
An absolute must-read for everyone who hasn't had a maroeconomics ourse in their undergrad. The book offers a simple and concise explanation of the main concepts line interest and exchange rates, monetary and fisal policies etc. After reading this, you'll be able to identify all the bullshit that the FT authors are selling you :)
Christina
I have never had so much fun reading a textbook in my entire school career. It’s quite obvious that Principles of Macroeconomics was written for someone who has never studied economics before. I felt like I was having a conversation with the author of the textbook rather than reading a textbook.
Aditya Dixit
top class!!!anyone can easily learn economic theory by this.
Adam R
The first 3/4s of the book were simple enough, easy to get through. The last quarter of the book got really dense, but I think the drag of a semester added to that. Overall it is a good basic look at macroeconomics.
Judith
I had access to an online version through Aplia and I read that too. The writing style is excellent and the layouts are nice, but I would have liked more explanation of the formulas.
Love the clear, linear style of the book. Super compatible with my outlining style. Easy to read and understand. Easy to understand diagrams and formulas.
Tanya
Well, it was my text-book in the university and I liked it pretty much. It's easy-to-read and has a lot of true-to-live interesting examples and articles
Anna
I have never actually enjoyed reading a textbook before. This was so well written, I understood the concepts and thoroughly enjoyed it to boot.
Hisham
Enjoyed the first few chapters ( about 1 till 4 ) and the last two

The rest was boring
Mike
Its sort of strange rating a text book - but it was quite good. I mean I enjoyed reading it.
Ray
LOL read it in summer in 1 week...For course book for uni, it was not a bad read.
Liberty
More or less better than the microeconomics. But not in depth. Of course!
Felix
Feb 24, 2013 Felix added it
Stopped reading. Was the wrong textbook for my course.
Steph
reading this for class
Slav
Quite good explanations :)
Maihm
Maihm added it
Aug 30, 2014
Tushar Goel
Tushar Goel is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Dallin Cottle
Dallin Cottle is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2014
Amber
Amber is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2014
Gary Hitzig
Gary Hitzig marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • The Economics of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets (Addison-Wesley Series in Economics)
  • Reinventing the Bazaar: A Natural History of Markets
  • Managerial Accounting
  • Management Information Systems: Managing the Digital Firm
  • Organizational Behavior (International Edition)
  • International Economics: Theory and Policy
  • New Ideas from Dead Economists: An Introduction to Modern Economic Thought
  • The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics
  • Intermediate Microeconomics: A Modern Approach
  • Comrades: A World History of Communism
  • Against Intellectual Property
  • Economic Development
  • The Subprime Solution: How Today's Global Financial Crisis Happened, and What to Do about It
  • Struck by Lightning: The Curious World of Probabilities
  • The Practice of Social Research
  • The Big Three in Economics: Adam Smith, Karl Marx, and John Maynard Keynes
  • History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier
  • The Power of Gold: The History of an Obsession
American "new keynesian" macroeconomist. From 2003 to 2005, Mankiw was the chairman of President Bush's Council of Economic Advisors.He has since resumed teaching at Harvard, taking over the introductory economics course Social Analysis 10. More at Wikipedia.
More about N. Gregory Mankiw...
Principles of Economics Macroeconomics Principles of Microeconomics Essentials of Economics Economics