Start by marking “The Art of Influence: Persuading Others Begins With You” as Want to Read:
The Art of Influence: Persuading Others Begins With You

The Art of Influence: Persuading Others Begins With You

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  285 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
From Chris Widener, the author of the breakout bestseller The Angel Inside, comes an inspiring new parable on the power of influence.

The Art of Influence will make you think twice about everything you've ever learned about influence. As Chris Widener’s inspiring story reveals, it’s not something you "do" to other people but rather something that starts with how you shape a
Published July 8th 2008 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Influence

Joseph McBee
Aug 14, 2011 Joseph McBee rated it liked it
The parable style of business books is a successful sub-genre and I typically enjoy them. In these slim volumes one can often find some great nuggets of truth as well as some practical methods for applying this truth to their business and personal lives.

Unfortunately, some of these books have far more fluff than substance. I don't think that is the case with this one though.

In THE ART OF INFLUENCE, Widener writes about the four laws of influence. There isn't too much that's new here. The laws ar
Avel Rudenko
Recommended by a mentor. A parable on influence and its fundamental role in leadership. As Chris says it: "Influence is the key to success. Influence is the art of business." Through the story of Marcus and Bobby, we learn about the Four Golden Rules of Influence:

1) Live a life of undivided integrity
2) Always demonstrate a positive attitude
3) Consider other people's interests as more important than your own
4) Don't settle for anything less than excellence

While the above learnings are by no means
Michael
Feb 28, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok
In this book, Widener creates a parable to teach his four principles of influence (Live a life of undivided integrity; Always demonstrate a positive attitude; Consider other people's interests as more important than your own; Don't settle for anything less than excellence). It's a good message, and I certainly fall short of living up to these principles (particularly #2 and #3). But I would argue that while this message is good, it's not "good enough." It's not true enough to the gritty reality ...more
Krishna Kumar
May 19, 2015 Krishna Kumar rated it did not like it
Except for rare instances like “The Goal”, I hate cooked-up anecdotes written for illustrating some business principle. “The Art of Influence” is an excellent example of how bad it can get. Here is the basic story outline: A business graduate gets to spend a few days with a rich billionaire, who teaches him the rules of influencing people. The story ends with the billionaire providing some start-up capital for the graduate’s idea and offering additional money for equity in the future.

So what’s w
Aug 19, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
La capacidad de influir en el entorno y en los demás es la clave del éxito en el arte de los negocios. PESCAS O CAZAS? La persuasión es como la caza y la influencia es como la pesca.
Reglas de Oro del arte de la influencia:
1-Lleva una vida integra sin condiciones.
2-Demuestra una actitud positiva en todo momento.
3-Antepón los intereses de los demás a los tuyos.
4-No te conformes con nada menos que la perfección.

Chantell  Petrell
Nov 19, 2015 Chantell Petrell rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
This book could have been so much better. The underlying message wasn't terribly weak, but it was buried under a heap of unnecessary filler. I would have enjoyed it if it were written succinctly. Also.. Huge editing mistake towards the end of the book. When he was offered $500,000 and received a $50,000 check with glee, completely oblivious to the fact that it was off by a whole decimal place? I'm no Northwestern graduate, but that just trampled right over a very key component of the book. It de ...more
Omar Halabieh
Dec 29, 2011 Omar Halabieh rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by my mentor. This book is a parable on influence and its fundamental role in leadership. As Chris describes it: "Influence is the key to success. Influence is the art of business." Through the story of Marcus and Bobby, we learn about the Four Golden Rules of Influence:

1) Live a life of undivided integrity

Surfergirl
Sep 08, 2008 Surfergirl rated it liked it
Shelves: being-better
Barbara
This is my current (2008) favorite leadership book. Written as a fable with reality as a theme - no mice, no fish, no circus (although all of those have a place in other business management books). Perhaps I like this because I feel that it has put into a very brief book, much of what I feel is important in a leader. I've tagged this with management but it is really a step above - it's leadership.
Susan
May 06, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
This book was fine, nothing spectacular. It changed the way I define "influence," which gives me a good starting point for developing myself. I didn't like that the book was formatted as a fictional narrative. That was kind of weird. I listened to the audiobook which was read by the author. He wasn't the best. It was only two hours though.
Misti
Jul 22, 2015 Misti rated it did not like it
Grabbed this from the library books on cd shelf. Easy listen but not that great of a book. Would have been better as a pared down blog post with the main bullet points written out. The story/parable itself was very smarmy.
Mary Olivera
May 10, 2014 Mary Olivera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

have been reading about leadership came across Chris Widened series and his influence teachings. made me immediately get the book and begin my path to success utilizing the tools he provided
Jessica
Apr 14, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: career
These were nice reminders of how to be a good person. The format made it a quick read. Did I love it? No. But I'd rather read this than Dale Carnegie- it's a simpler, easier version of that.
Annie
Mar 02, 2014 Annie added it
An okay book, with a couple of mild insights. That said - throughout this book, with the partial exception of the grandmother, women act solely as loving wife-pets. Could have been written in 1950.
Eugene Kok
Mar 18, 2015 Eugene Kok rated it it was amazing
If I could pass a book to any teenager who embarks to the working world. This would be the ultimate book that leads in career, relationship and life!
Hilary
Mar 31, 2009 Hilary rated it liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Library
Shelves: fiction, 2009
The Art of Influence was a very quick read. I saw this book in the Non-Fiction section of new releases, and it seemed interesting enough. I'm always up to figuring out how to better myself and a small hardcover like this seemed like it would come to me right when I needed it. The Four Golden Rules of Influence discussed in the book:

Live a life of undivided integrity

Always Demonstrate a Positive Attitude

Consider Other People's Interests As More Important Than Your Own

Don't Settle For Anything Les
Rachel
Aug 29, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This was a short and easy read recommended by my librarian. It was told through a story format that was enjoyable and easy to follow.
Karen Kenney
Nov 07, 2014 Karen Kenney rated it really liked it
Interesting take on the power of influence in the business world.
John
Mar 30, 2014 John rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-versions
good little story with true principles...as well as nice and short
Richard Stephenson
Jul 09, 2011 Richard Stephenson rated it really liked it
Being able to put such important soft-skills, or characteristics, into a good old, semi-believable story is a good thing. I got well absorbed into the journey of Marcus through his path to world-wide-domination... oh... I mean leadership and growth.

It was fun to listen to (I checked out the audiobook version) and even brought up a few really good points I had not considered before. Double whammy!

Recommend it to anyone looking to be a leader, entrepreneur, intrapreneur, or just an all around more
Michelle
Oct 03, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone interested in learning about him or herself
Amazing book that is not very long and had my six-year-old sitting on the edge of his bed every night, waiting for what happens next. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite certain this book is meant for the adult mentality, but everyone can learn something about allowing or not allowing influence to either impede or strengthen him or herself.

I'm utilizing this work to allow my son to understand at a young age the power influence can have and hopefully how to bridle it.
Mar 20, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this story. a great way to get across the Four Golden Rules of Influence.
Jessica Hobson
Jan 21, 2014 Jessica Hobson rated it really liked it
Recommended by an executive at my company. Good for sales philosophy! Quick Read!
Lisa
Apr 19, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
A great little parable with theories on influence that were easy to grasp thanks to the story line they were put to. The art of influence is based on 4 core points:

1. Live a life of undivided integrity
2. Always demonstrate a positive attitude
3. Consider other people's interests as more important than your own
4. Don't settle for anything less than excellence
Yuki kojima
Mar 31, 2011 Yuki kojima rated it really liked it
Shelves: funreads
"If you want to attract people of vision (or a certain character trait) you have to be a person of vision (that character trait)"

Golden rules:
1. Live with integrity
2. Choose optimism
3. Take and show interest in people
4. Work on yourself- lead by example

Easy good read, simple rules which I completely agree with.
Recommended.
Artlibrarian
Feb 04, 2009 Artlibrarian rated it it was ok
What would you look for in a person that you would allow to influence you?
List ten things you look for in a leader:
Honesty
good listening skills
an ability to communicate
courage
positive attitude

Consider other people's interests as more important than you.
Suz
Jun 06, 2009 Suz rated it really liked it
Four main points to take away:

1. Live a life of undivided integrity
2. Always demonstrate a positive attitude
3. Consider other people's interests as more important than your own
4. Don't settle for anything less than excellence

Book was rather cheesy, but made good points.
Tim
Jan 07, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it
A simple narrative suitable for the novice who is starting on his or her personal development quest.

The book was good enough in my opinion to make some notes in my journal.

The book is one I'd recommend to anyone who needs and wants a primer in "The Art of Influence".
Ken
Sep 29, 2008 Ken rated it it was amazing
Once again, Chris Widener hits a homerun. The (4) Golden Rules shared in this story are rules for success in ALL ASPECTS of our life. They are not diccicult & are vey simple to follow. The problem with most of us is thart we never take the time to focus on them.
Thomas
Apr 09, 2013 Thomas rated it did not like it
Shelves: sales-marketing
I can see how the idea of this book is well-regarded but the approach was so stupid and annoying I absolutely hated it - I pictured a person reading the book to me and I wanted to punch them. There's much better books out there with the same advice.
  • The On-Time, On-Target Manager: How a "Last-Minute Manager" Conquered Procrastination
  • The 22 Non-Negotiable Laws of Wellness: Take Your Health into Your Own Hands to Feel, Think, and Live Better Than You Ev
  • The Secret Science: For the Physical and Spiritual Transformation of Man (Hermetic Philosophy, Book 1)
  • Final Blackout
  • Selling You!: A Practical Guide to Achieving the Most by Becoming Your Best
  • The Stories of Heinrich Böll
  • The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Workbook: Follow Them and People Will Follow You
  • The Monkey and the Monk: An Abridgment of The Journey to the West
  • Invasion
  • Understanding Earth
  • Getting Things Done...Fast!: The Ultimate Stress-Free Productivity System
  • Six Great Modern Plays
Chris Widener is one of the rising stars of the personal development field.

Chris has been speaking professionally since 1988 and has shared the stage with top political figures, nationally known television news anchors, best-selling authors, and professional athletes. He has spoken on motivation and leadership to groups at some of America's finest organizations such as General Electric, Cisco Syst
More about Chris Widener...