Rampart Street (Storyville, #3)

Rampart Street (Storyville #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  24 reviews

From Shamus award winner David Fulmer comes another mystery in his acclaimed Storyville series.

Just returned to New Orleans and only recently having solved the case of the jass murders, Creole detective Valentin St. Cyr is reluctantly drawn into the investigation of a new murder—that of a well-to-do gentleman on seedy Rampart Street. Soon another society man turns up dead,

Published January 15th 2007 by Mariner Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rampart Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rampart Street

LJ
RAMPART STREET (Private Investigator-New Orleans-1900s) – VG
Fulmer, David – 3rd in series
Harcourt, 2006- Hardcover
After 15 months away, Creole Detective Valerian St. Cyr in back in New Orleans’s red-light district of Storyville. He has lost weight, no longer exhibits his usual style, nor interest in life around him. In an effort to bring him back to himself, his employer, Boss Tom Anderson, conveniences him to investigate the murder of a wealthy, white businessman found dead in Storyville. St. C...more
Stephanie
I picked up this book from a bargain bin because of the cover--it's hard for anyone who ever lived in New Orleans not to recognize that photo. The blurb on the book jacket sold me--a mystery set in early twentieth century New Orleans? Hard to resist! Turns out to be the third book in a series about conflicted, alienated detective Augustin St. Cyr. It was meticulously researched--I did some reading on Storyville and the era, and found many of the characters and details were true-to-life. The atmo...more
Laura Cushing
Valentin St. Cyr is back in Storeyville, this time investigating the death of an uptown man on Rampart street at the behest of the man's daughter. There's more to the story than just a rich man straying to the wrong side of town, and Valentin uncovers a web of intrigue stretching back 20 years and having ties with his own past. Supporting characters Justine and Beansoup are back - Justine having returned to her previous life of prostitution, and Beansoup growing up to be quite a rounder who pref...more
Linda Beckstrom
I can see why this writer won a Shamus Award. Very evocative of time and place. I enjoyed the use of jass slang; most of it can be understood from context. Don't usually read the genre, but may read others in the Storyville series. Very glad I read "Coming Through Slaughter" first; Rampart Street made reference to Buddy Bolden.
Janet
great crime series set in storyville Era New Orleans.
Jack
Mar 28, 2013 Jack rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Decent --- Kind of a weak ending but still good writing. This was about three rich white guys who were killed and the daughter of one employed St. Cyr to find out what happened. Turns out that an even richer white guy had them killed. He was responsible for driving out a lot of Italians on the docks and killed his business partners who were going to expose him. In the end Mangetta and Valentin's cousin killed Henry Harris.
Mary
The best thing about this mystery is the setting, New Orleans in 1910. Creole detective Valentin St Cyr moves the floridly decadent streets of Storyville and the "American" part of town. The historical setting is so good and interesting that I didn't care about the plot line as much as one would expect in a mystery. The plot needs the setting anyway; it couldn't happen this way just any where.
Paul Secor
The third of David Fulmer's Valentin St. Cyr mystery novels. The mystery part of the book is nicely done, but the real reason to read it is for the character of creole detective Valentin St. Cyr and for the way that Fulmer recreates the atmosphere of early 1900's New Orleans. If you read one of the books in the series, you'll probably end up reading them all.
Padraic
If you're not a mystery fan, the only way in is through locale - in this case, the forty square block piece of old weird America called the Quarter. Fulmer has it down, smells, sounds, sights and all. It's set in 1909, but you know this place is doomed. Sadly, it was doomed to become another corporate Disneyland, but that's Ok. The beignets still rock.
Paul Peden
I am thrilled with this series. Having family from the region, and living nearby myself, I can say unequivocally that these books capture and evoke the feeling of the famous setting in which they take place. And the mystery, our characters, and the writing, are all fantastic and wonderfully captivating. I LOVE it
Harlow Middleton
Fascinating story of Storyville in New Orleans at the turn of the last century. Great detective story in a place that was fermenting with the beginnings of jass (jazz) and having the final chapter on bordello districts in the U.S. Fulmer is a really talented writer who uses words precisely.
Nike Chillemi
This is David Fumer's second book, and the second in the Detective Valentine St. Cyr series. These historical thrillers are set in the day when electricity was just replacing the gas street lights of New Orleans and the automobile was just being introduced to its streets.
Steve
Another Valentin St. Cyr mystery. In this one the Creole dective is handed a murder to solve that people really don't want solved. All of the characters from previous books are in this one. It is an interesting read, but very much on a formula from the prior books.
Cathie
Like this book. Having just visited New Orleans I bought this book since it's set in the area in 1910. Fun to learn about how the area has changed and not changed in the time since. Really liked Valentin st. Cyr and his approach to detective work.
Jamie
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, but both the second and third did not hold my attention. 75% of the both books contain so much tedious detail and then the author rushes to the conclusion. It was a struggle to get through this one
Russell Ferguson
Really great read of old school New Orleans around Ethernet beginning of the century. A classic look at Storyville and the American south during that time period. It's a first for me in the series but I like the writing and the character.
Tracey Richardson
Apr 01, 2012 Tracey Richardson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes old New Orleans, or mysteries.
Recommended to Tracey by: Found it on Amazon.com
I loved the Valentin St. Cyr mysteries so needless to say, I loved this one also. In fact, I read this one first after Googling "Rampart Street" while doing some research on old New Orleans.
Alexandra McLeod
I think Katrina first directed me to this author. I love the Valentin St Cyr mysteries as they are set in New Orleans and very seedy. A msu for Detective novel readers.
Anne
Not particularly suspenseful, but I loved the historical setting and time period...who knew "jazz" used to be called "jass"! Memorable characters.
Edwina
Jan 05, 2008 Edwina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: New Orleans and detective fiction fans
same as for "Chasing the Devil's Tail." Since I grew up on Rampart Street in New Orleans I had to read this one!
Donna
Another entertaining mystery in the Storyville Series... looking forward to reading the next.
Kelseyjjohnson
Finished it in two days, a great quick thriller.
Mary Thomas
Valentin St. Cyr mystery
Debbie Maskus
#3 Valentin St Cyr
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
David Fulmer has been a writer and producer for over twenty-five years.

Series:
* Valentin St. Cyr Mystery
* Eddie Cero Mystery
More about David Fulmer...
Chasing the Devil's Tail (Storyville, #1) Jass (Storyville, #2) Lost River (Storyville, #4) The Dying Crapshooter's Blues The Blue Door

“..The secrets started when the maid told her friend, the maid next door who told her Mistres, who told the across the street neighbor and soon the tongues were wagging like flags in the wind....” 2 likes