Start by marking “Rampart Street (Storyville, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rampart Street (Storyville, #3)

Rampart Street (Storyville #3)

From Shamus award winner David Fulmer comes another mystery in his acclaimed Storyville series.

Just returned to New Orleans and only recently having solved the case of the jass murders, Creole detective Valentin St. Cyr is reluctantly drawn into the investigation of a new murderthat of a well-to-do gentleman on seedy Rampart Street. Soon another society man turns up dead,

Published January 15th 2007 by Mariner Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rampart Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rampart Street

RAMPART STREET (Private Investigator-New Orleans-1900s) – VG
Fulmer, David – 3rd in series
Harcourt, 2006- Hardcover
After 15 months away, Creole Detective Valerian St. Cyr in back in New Orleans’s red-light district of Storyville. He has lost weight, no longer exhibits his usual style, nor interest in life around him. In an effort to bring him back to himself, his employer, Boss Tom Anderson, conveniences him to investigate the murder of a wealthy, white businessman found dead in Storyville. St. C
Feb 08, 2016 Istiningdyah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detectives, series
The adventure of detective Valentin St. Cyr in Storyville continues in Rampart Street. This time after long absence from his usual job at Storyville, the detective decides to come back. There is a murder happened at Rampart Street. It isn’t surprising considering the place, but what makes it unusual is the victim. A reputable white man found with a bullet wound in the middle of Rampart Street. Because of that, someone is asking a favor to Tom Anderson, the king of Storyville, on behalf of the vi ...more
Aug 07, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
I picked up this book from a bargain bin because of the cover--it's hard for anyone who ever lived in New Orleans not to recognize that photo. The blurb on the book jacket sold me--a mystery set in early twentieth century New Orleans? Hard to resist! Turns out to be the third book in a series about conflicted, alienated detective Augustin St. Cyr. It was meticulously researched--I did some reading on Storyville and the era, and found many of the characters and details were true-to-life. The atmo ...more
Laura Cushing
Jun 26, 2011 Laura Cushing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valentin St. Cyr is back in Storeyville, this time investigating the death of an uptown man on Rampart street at the behest of the man's daughter. There's more to the story than just a rich man straying to the wrong side of town, and Valentin uncovers a web of intrigue stretching back 20 years and having ties with his own past. Supporting characters Justine and Beansoup are back - Justine having returned to her previous life of prostitution, and Beansoup growing up to be quite a rounder who pref ...more
Feb 07, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it
Let me start by saying, I started the series with this book.
I like the detective. I can't think of a character I hate. The plot is a slow ambling toward the solution. And it works. There isn't any big action sequence. The answer is obvious at the beginning, but the why is the mystery. The solution is layered and makes sense. The resolution is okay as well.
My biggest problem is the depressing overall nature of the book. Everyone seems to be moving through life convinced of its hopelessness. That
Mar 28, 2013 Jack rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Decent --- Kind of a weak ending but still good writing. This was about three rich white guys who were killed and the daughter of one employed St. Cyr to find out what happened. Turns out that an even richer white guy had them killed. He was responsible for driving out a lot of Italians on the docks and killed his business partners who were going to expose him. In the end Mangetta and Valentin's cousin killed Henry Harris.
Linda Beckstrom
Apr 18, 2014 Linda Beckstrom rated it it was amazing
I can see why this writer won a Shamus Award. Very evocative of time and place. I enjoyed the use of jass slang; most of it can be understood from context. Don't usually read the genre, but may read others in the Storyville series. Very glad I read "Coming Through Slaughter" first; Rampart Street made reference to Buddy Bolden.
Paul Peden
Sep 07, 2013 Paul Peden rated it it was amazing
I am thrilled with this series. Having family from the region, and living nearby myself, I can say unequivocally that these books capture and evoke the feeling of the famous setting in which they take place. And the mystery, our characters, and the writing, are all fantastic and wonderfully captivating. I LOVE it
Jul 09, 2009 Padraic rated it really liked it
If you're not a mystery fan, the only way in is through locale - in this case, the forty square block piece of old weird America called the Quarter. Fulmer has it down, smells, sounds, sights and all. It's set in 1909, but you know this place is doomed. Sadly, it was doomed to become another corporate Disneyland, but that's Ok. The beignets still rock.
The best thing about this mystery is the setting, New Orleans in 1910. Creole detective Valentin St Cyr moves the floridly decadent streets of Storyville and the "American" part of town. The historical setting is so good and interesting that I didn't care about the plot line as much as one would expect in a mystery. The plot needs the setting anyway; it couldn't happen this way just any where.
Paul Secor
Jul 09, 2011 Paul Secor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third of David Fulmer's Valentin St. Cyr mystery novels. The mystery part of the book is nicely done, but the real reason to read it is for the character of creole detective Valentin St. Cyr and for the way that Fulmer recreates the atmosphere of early 1900's New Orleans. If you read one of the books in the series, you'll probably end up reading them all.
Harlow Middleton
Jul 14, 2008 Harlow Middleton rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story of Storyville in New Orleans at the turn of the last century. Great detective story in a place that was fermenting with the beginnings of jass (jazz) and having the final chapter on bordello districts in the U.S. Fulmer is a really talented writer who uses words precisely.
Apr 19, 2010 Steve rated it liked it
Another Valentin St. Cyr mystery. In this one the Creole dective is handed a murder to solve that people really don't want solved. All of the characters from previous books are in this one. It is an interesting read, but very much on a formula from the prior books.
Nov 03, 2011 Jamie rated it did not like it
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, but both the second and third did not hold my attention. 75% of the both books contain so much tedious detail and then the author rushes to the conclusion. It was a struggle to get through this one
Russell Ferguson
Dec 05, 2012 Russell Ferguson rated it really liked it
Really great read of old school New Orleans around Ethernet beginning of the century. A classic look at Storyville and the American south during that time period. It's a first for me in the series but I like the writing and the character.
Oct 25, 2013 Cathie rated it really liked it
Like this book. Having just visited New Orleans I bought this book since it's set in the area in 1910. Fun to learn about how the area has changed and not changed in the time since. Really liked Valentin st. Cyr and his approach to detective work.
Nike Chillemi
May 13, 2010 Nike Chillemi rated it liked it
This is David Fumer's second book, and the second in the Detective Valentine St. Cyr series. These historical thrillers are set in the day when electricity was just replacing the gas street lights of New Orleans and the automobile was just being introduced to its streets.
Jan 26, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1920s
Rampart Street is a fast moving, absorbing mystery peopled by interesting characters of New Orleans' demimonde. Interesting look at racial line crossing in the South.
Julie Barrett
Jan 04, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
Book 3 in the St Cyr/Storyville Mysteries!
Go ahead & read the series in order -I PROMISE YOU'LL LOVE THEM!
Mar 19, 2011 Anne rated it liked it
Not particularly suspenseful, but I loved the historical setting and time period...who knew "jazz" used to be called "jass"! Memorable characters.
Tracey Richardson
Apr 01, 2012 Tracey Richardson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes old New Orleans, or mysteries.
Recommended to Tracey by: Found it on
I loved the Valentin St. Cyr mysteries so needless to say, I loved this one also. In fact, I read this one first after Googling "Rampart Street" while doing some research on old New Orleans.
Jan 05, 2008 Edwina rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: New Orleans and detective fiction fans
same as for "Chasing the Devil's Tail." Since I grew up on Rampart Street in New Orleans I had to read this one!
Alexandra McLeod
Aug 17, 2009 Alexandra McLeod rated it really liked it
I think Katrina first directed me to this author. I love the Valentin St Cyr mysteries as they are set in New Orleans and very seedy. A msu for Detective novel readers.
Aug 11, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, books-i-own, 2013
Another entertaining mystery in the Storyville Series... looking forward to reading the next.
Lynne rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Shady rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2007
Penny Harmon
Penny Harmon rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Rodney rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2014
Lenny Nero
Lenny Nero rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2010
Darenna rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • New Orleans Noir
  • Blast from the Past (Kinky Friedman, #11)
  • Dead Water (Benjamin January, #8)
  • The Last Of The Savages
  • Arkansas
  • The French Quarter: An Informal History of the New Orleans Underworld
  • Cooking Up a Storm: New Orleans Recipes for Recovery
  • Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?
  • Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau
  • The Watermelon King
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • Satchmo: My Life in New Orleans
  • The Battle of New Orleans: Andrew Jackson and America's First Military Victory
  • Lanterns on the Levee: Recollections of a Planter's Son
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • Cotton: The Biography of a Revolutionary Fiber
  • Dreams of a Robot Dancing Bee: 44 Stories
  • Mojo: Conjure Stories
David Fulmer has been a writer and producer for over twenty-five years.

* Valentin St. Cyr Mystery
* Eddie Cero Mystery
More about David Fulmer...

Storyville (4 books)
  • Chasing the Devil's Tail (Storyville, #1)
  • Jass (Storyville, #2)
  • Lost River (Storyville, #4)

“..The secrets started when the maid told her friend, the maid next door who told her Mistres, who told the across the street neighbor and soon the tongues were wagging like flags in the wind....” 3 likes