Start by marking “Jass (Storyville, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jass (Storyville, #2)

Jass (Storyville #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  35 reviews
In the rowdy red-light district of Storyville, four players of the new music they call "jass" have turned up dead. When Creole detective Valentin St. Cyr begins to investigate, he discovers that every one of the victims once played in the same band, and the only one left alive has gone into hiding.

As he digs deeper, Valentin becomes convinced that a shadowy woman is the ke
Published January 9th 2006 by Mariner Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Jass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jass

Jay Cardam
Jass is the second of Mr Fulmer's ST CYR series and I would say better than the first. Over all the story flowed more smoothly and the characters felt better developed. This could be in part because I am getting to know these characters better as a reader this being my 3rd novel in the series. (Yep, I started with the third, Rampart Street.) Waiting for number four to arrive in the mail.
This is a delightful, insightful book that entertains with drama and suspense set in New Orleans. The kind of book that you don't want to end because you love the characters so much. A little music history combined with love, loss and mayhem!
JASS (Private Investigator-New Orleans-1909) – VG
Fulmer, David – 2nd in series
Harcourt, 2005- Hardcover
Investigator Valentin St. Cyr is asked to look into the deaths of four New Orleans musicians. Although the manor of each death is different, they all once played in the same "jass" band. When St. Cyr is pressured to give up the investigation, he becomes more determined to find the reason, and killer, behind the deaths.
*** Fulmer has a wonderful style and ability to convey the feeling of New Orl
Laura Cushing
The second in the Valentin St. Cyr mystery series, Jass continues the story of a creole detective in Storyville New Orleans. In this book, jazz musicians are being murdered and it's up to Valentin to find the connection. The mystery itself almost takes a backseat to the continuing development of secondary characters - the relationship between Valentine and Justine takes a surprising turn, and we learn more about her past. The detective's sidekick is back too, the streetwise orphan nicknamed 'Bea ...more
Julie Barrett
BOOK 2 in the St Cyr/Storyville Mysteries! LOVE ALL OF THESE BOOKS & waiting so patiently for the next installment -6 years aah!

I PROMISE you'll enjoy these books! Read them in order to get the full experience!
I really like David Fulmer's gritty Storyville series, set in the red-light district of 1900s New Orleans. The author beautifully captures the uniqueness of this multiracial city, and the setting and historical detail are probably the strongest attributes of this novel. The action/mystery holds the reader's attention, but for me, having visited and loved New Orleans, it was his tribute to the place that won me over. Creole detective Valentin St. Cyr provides the pefect insider's perspective on t ...more
I have been reading Fulmer's Valentin St. Cyr mysteries out of order. The are very rich historical period pieces. You feel like you are in New Orleans in the early 1900's. According to the book jazz was first called jass. The book's story line is based on the murder of jass musicians. The plot is intricate and it is not easy to see where things are going for some time. St. Cyr's complicated love life and brooding psyche are covered a little much at times for my liking. However, when the action c ...more
Dale Barlow
review not written until 12.28.2013): sequel to CHASING THE DEVIL’S TAIL (not yet read by me) about a detective searching for a killer of most of the band “jass”. The sole survivor has gone into hiding & local authorities are trying to convince the detective to ‘drop the case’, naturally without success; a mysterious lady is the major clue. As I recall I devoured this book while on vacation in northern CA; read Aug. ‘13/#65
If you love New Orleans, you have to read this book! The setting is the height of the jazz age - 1920s New Orleans. The descriptions of the city are dead-on, and beautiful to boot. I enjoyed every descriptive word that jumped off the page. Fulmer manages to capture a time and place so well, you feel as if you're there.
Chris Wharton
Valentin St. Cyr investigates murders of jass (forerunner of jazz) musicians in New Orleans in 1910. Race, gender, power atmospherics from Storyville and other districts. St. Cyr contends with historical characters -- Jelly Roll Morton, Tom Anderson (King of Storyville), various madames, ghost of Buddy Bolden.
Creole detective Valentiin St Cyr. solves a puzzling mystery in 1900's New Orleans. I liked the characters and the descriptions of the city. Felt like I could be sitting right there in New Orleans. Fulmer's "Chasing the Devil's Tail" won the shamus award. I am putting that book on my "to read" list.
Oct 16, 2008 Ronn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans, early Jazz fans
I read a LOT of New Orleans literature, especially right before a trip there, and I am heading there on Saturday. This book is as evocative of a time and place as any I have ever read. I really believe I have found a new favourite N.O. author. I intend to seek the other books featuring this protagonist.
Michael Smith
This is a pretty good detective novel, though most of the actual detecting comes towards the end. The characters are interesting and the book really feels like it belongs in that early jass period. There were some subplots that I didn't think were really resolved at all, but overall it was a good read.
Paul Peden
Fabulous. This writer is another winner. Such a vividly evocative style, you are transported to the time and place of 1900's New Orleans, and the atmosphere that perfectly produces the events and characters within it. I am crazy for these books. Valentin is my new favorite!
picked up based on the recommendation of another title in the series by a NOLA friend. Great ambiance but I had a hard time getting through it. May try another just to see since the descriptions of old New Orleans are lovely
Mar 28, 2013 Jack rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Good --- Second Valentin St. Cyr mystery. This one ended a little bit better but was basically about a killer targeting Jazz players who as it turned out all were in the same band. Good tale of revenge and blood.
Jan 02, 2009 Miriam is currently reading it
This is the second one in the series, and the second one I've read. It's a good historical mystery, set in Storyville in New Orleans at the birth of jazz. Very atmosperic, interesting hero, good mystery.
Excellent, gets me excited about visiting New Orleans. Though not the New Orleans in this book, too scary. An excellent, albeit tertiary, cultural introduction to jazz as well.
Well written. New Orleans jazz musicians being murdered. Interesting view of the start of jazz music and on race/status in New Orleans at start of 20th century.
As I continue David Fulmer's St. Cyr mysteries I learn more and more about New Orleans circa 1910.. more about infamous Storyville and the people who lived there.
Tracey Richardson
Apr 01, 2012 Tracey Richardson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes reading about old New Orleans
Recommended to Tracey by: I found the first book when I Googled "Rampart Street".
I adore the Valentin St. Cyr character and have read all of David Fulmer's books about Valentin. I liked reading about old New Orleans and Storyville.
Love the setting (New Orleans, at the very beginning of the Jazz Age). A great period piece, and blend of real and fictional characters.
A spellbinding who-dunnit type of book. I couldn't put it done once I reached the last 100 pages!
Stacy Lewis
Second in the series, this was enjoyable but did not provide as much history of old New Orleans as the first.
Of the three Valentin St. Cyr mysteries that I have read, I thought this one was the best.
Fabulous series.... can just feel the soul of new orleans at the turn of the century
Caroline Coleman
Love the time period and how there is always more than what you think
Franco Parrella
more seedy side storyville adventures. well worth the read.
Jan 05, 2008 Edwina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: New Orleans and detective fiction fans
Ditto - same review as "Chasing the Devil's Tail."
  • The Shoal of Time (Micky Knight, #8)
  • The Pillar of the Sky
  • The Fala Factor (Toby Peters, #9)
  • Iron Ties (Silver Rush, #2)
  • Wet Grave (Benjamin January, #6)
  • This Dame for Hire
  • A Bloodhound To Die For
  • Black Orchid Blues
  • The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)
  • Fifty-to-One (Hard Case Crime #50)
  • Six Months of September (Duncan Walsh, #1)
  • Season of Darkness (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #1)
  • Law of Return (Tejada, #2)
  • Storyville, New Orleans: Being an Authentic, Illustrated Account of the Notorious Red Light District
  • New Orleans, Mon Amour: Twenty Years of Writings from the City
David Fulmer has been a writer and producer for over twenty-five years.

* Valentin St. Cyr Mystery
* Eddie Cero Mystery
More about David Fulmer...

Storyville (4 books)
  • Chasing the Devil's Tail (Storyville, #1)
  • Rampart Street (Storyville, #3)
  • Lost River (Storyville, #4)