Start by marking “The Rose Fancier: Stories” as Want to Read:
The Rose Fancier: Stories

The Rose Fancier: Stories

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Seventeen stories from the late Australian Masters (The Home Girls, A Long Time Dying, etc.), varying in length and quality and ranging from the late 19th century to contemporary times. Before her death, Masters had finished eight; nine are the result of "editorial alterations"--and it sometimes shows--but, even so, the most successful are biting studies of emotional and p ...more
Published September 1st 1991 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published December 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose Fancier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose Fancier

Karen
This book reminds me why I don't like short stories as much as novels. Just as you start to get into the characters or story, it is over. These stories are very subtle. They seem very mundane but it feels like there are often other layers underneath. There were some where I was left scratching my head and feeling like I didn't "get" the story.
Jean
This Australian author is so, so good. Finely drawn and nuanced characters. I found myself rereading the stories to tease out and reconsider ever detail and shade of meaning.
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Alandra
Alandra marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Nicola Eggleton
Nicola Eggleton marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2012
Joan
Joan added it
Jan 13, 2010
Olga Masters née Lawler (28 May 1919 – 27 September 1986) was an Australian journalist, novelist and short story writer.

Masters wrote as a journalist for most of her life, and supplemented the family income by writing for local newspapers in the towns she lived in with her husband. On their return to Sydney, she wrote for papers such as The Manly Daily and The Sydney Morning Herald.

While she wante
More about Olga Masters...
Amy's Children The Home Girls Loving Daughters Collected Stories A Long Time Dying