Start by marking “Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:
Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)

Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  9,534 ratings  ·  106 reviews
After mistakenly being appointed court magician by a regent who should have known better, apprentice mage Skeeve must defend a kingdom from the mightiest invading army in the world.
Published December 27th 2005 by Ace (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Myth Conceptions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myth Conceptions

Gavin
This is the second book in Robert Asprin's lighthearted and fun Myth series of fantasy books. It delivered much the same as the first book. Witty dialogue, action, magic, and likable characters.

Skeeve is invited to try out for the position of court magician by his master Aahz, who claims it will be an easy job. It's not of course, and before long Skeeve finds himself having to defend the whole kingdom against a massive invading army with only the few magical tricks he has mastered so far. Lucky
Stephen
3.5 stars. This is the second book in the Myth Adventures series and, like the first book Another Fine Myth, I really enjoyed it. These books are fun, light reads that are perfect for when you either need a mood pick me up, or maybe just want to be entertained without having to invest too much grey matter at the same time.

In this second installment, Skeeve, an apprentice magician, and his teacher Aahz, a demon from another dimension summoned in the first book by Skeeve's dead master, along with
Werner
Dec 11, 2009 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of humorous fantasy
Recommended to Werner by: My wife
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Usually, when I read books that are part of a series, I prefer to start at the beginning. However, my wife picked this second volume of the author's Myth series up at our local flea market, and suggested that we read it together, so I did. While it makes some reference to previous events, and many of the characters have prior history with each other, it can be enjoyed well enough as a stand-alone.

Set in another dimension where magic, or magik, as Asprin spells it here, (strictly of the incantati
Desinka
This second installment in the Myth series was a lot of fun. It was again full of witty dialogue and fun happenings. I liked how Skeeve developed and a characters and the way he dealt with the hard situation he was in. I loved the new additions to the team as well as the appearance of some characters from the first book.

Looking forward to starting the next book.

Rating 3.5 stars.
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up. While ten to twelve might enjoy it, there are many ideas they will not understand. Though, they will certainly get many of the jokes.

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 1980.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the
Kynan
Myth Conceptions picks up just after where Another Fine Myth left off, with Skeev, Aahz and Gleep looking for whatever comes next after dealing with Isstvan. In fairly short order they find themselves embroiled in court drama and military shenanigans.

The story is told with the same style and level of humour as Another Fine Myth (the main thing that there is to enjoy about this book) and is pretty similar in plot come to that. I know that these books are meant to be light comic relief (well, I th
Diane
Silly fun with many moments of hilarity. Still good after all this time. :)
Riana
The magician-in-training Skeeve lives a peaceful but extraordinary life in a run-down old inn with his master Aahz, his pet dragon and a unicorn. Being considered for the position of court magician, Aahz prepares him for a live of luxury and even more peacefulness. Little did they know that this is the start of a great adventure entailing gigantic armies, legendary archers, stone men and gremlins. Will Skeeve succeed in his first (and possibly fatal) task in the kingdom of Possiltum?

A definite i
Henrik Schunk
Myth Conceptions starts out strong as usual with our loveable characters sticking it to each other and making good headway to find trouble as soon as possible. This time, they are pitted against a mighty army and face it with the usual mixture of bravery, recklessness and deadpan humour. The book gets a tad repitive when the narrative shifts towards the battlefield and lacks the "caper character" of the first book. The ending - despite being surprising and worth a chuckle - feels like a bit of s ...more
Nippy Katz
Skeeve takes on a contract as court magician, aided by his demon buddy/mentor Aahz, to a kingdom that's threatened by a monstrously huge invasion. It's an army like locusts. Nothing can stand up to it. Gags flow unimpeded. Quirky, but not too quirky, characters abound. There's a satisfying, if not too surprising, conclusion to the affair.

This is assembly line stuff, but it's good assembly line stuff. Asprin knows how to crank out light entertainment. Don't expect philosophical epiphanies or nev
Ensiform
The second Myth Adventures book. Despite being a mere apprentice to a depowered demon, Skeeve manages to snag what he and Aahz think will be a sinecure: Court Magician to the king of Possiltum in Klah. Unfortunately, no sooner is he hired that he is told that the world’s largest army is advancing on the kingdom and his job is top stop it; further, that he will get no help from the army. Still further, if he succeeds, the army will be out to kill him, and if he fails, the council’s men will be ou ...more
Jamie
One of my most childhood (well, teenagerhood) possessions is a pair of graphic novels based on Robert Asprin's "Myth" series, illustrated by Phil Foglio. I also read most of the books themselves and enjoyed them nearly as much. When I recently decided to re-read the first three books (Another Fine Myth, Myth Conceptions, and Myth Directions) I was surprised to find out how well they held up. They're still really fun!

Now while "fun" isn't the word I'd use to describe most books in the fantasy gen
John Kirk
This is a good story, which continues to expand the world(s) that the characters inhabit. Unfortunately, it was let down by poor editing. For instance, in my copy (part of The Myth-ing Omnibus) every occurence of "Pervect" has been changed to "Pervert". It's also unfortunate that Skeeve seems to refer to demons as a species (more or less synonymous with Deveels): this contradicts the first book, where he says that demon = dimension traveller, so a demon could theoretically be a member of any spe ...more
The Flooze
Myth Conceptions, the second book in the adventures of the apprentice magician Skeeve and the demon Aahz, doesn't disappoint. The blend of comedy and fantasy makes for a light-hearted and entertaining read. Oh, the trouble these two get themselves into!

From the opening line, Asprin had me laughing: "Of all the various unpleasant ways to be aroused from a sound sleep, one of the worst is the noise of a dragon and a unicorn playing tag."

What's supposed to be a cushy position as Court Magician, lea
Tom

Myth Conceptions is the second book in the Myth Series series written by Robert Asprin. The increasingly powerful Skeeve gets a job as court magician but soon finds out that it is a setup as the court is facing a massive invasion. Skeeve and Aahz must hire a rag-tag band of mercenaries to save the kingdom of Possiltum and they manage to do so with their customer bumbling and good humor.

The second book pretty much uses the same styles as the first relying on humor and good spirits to entertain th

Keziah Wallis
The second book in Robert Asprin's MYTH Adventures starts off a year or so after the events of the first book. Our heroes are hiding out at an abandoned inn with Skeeve's magic skills progressing along despite Aahz's sometimes questionable teaching methods. This time Skeeve is invited to interview for the position of Court Magician at the small kingdom of Possiltum. Spurred on by Aahz he heads off to win the position only to discover that he must now defeat an invading army which is larger that ...more
Karen Fainges
Skeve continues to discover the worlds of the demon in this funny continuation of the series. Having enjoyed the first book, I was expecting to like this one but wondering if it would be the same old jokes told again.

While the characters are the same, and the level of humour remains, this is no rehash. An excellent way to watch Skeve's abilities grow, Myth Conceptions, follows his bumbling path through ever more strange worlds.

New friends and enemies meet him and just like Aahz, you are never t
Shawna
I like to reread this series every few years. December is a great month for this because the book is fun, lighthearted and definitely not hard to concentrate on during such a busy time of year.
Foster Hardie
Omg

When I got hooked on number one I read this these are very good books people
J
Myth Conceptions, book two in Robert Asprin’s Myth series, is just as fun as the first. Skeeve (with plenty of help from Aahz) finds himself the court magician of the kingdom of Possiltum, only to discover that means fighting the biggest army Klah has ever seen. Some familiar faces show up in this volume, adding more fun to the mix. I love the made up quotes Asprin puts at the beginning of each chapter as they are hilarious! For example, “Life is a series of rude awakenings,” attributed to Rip V ...more
Heidi Wiechert
Gleep is my favorite character in this series and he has a fairly important scene in this book. Fun, light-hearted fantasy.
Jessica
This novel helped solidify my love-affair with Skeeve and Aahz! Leave it to these two to get themselves into more trouble than they can handle.

I loved that King Rodrick was able to trick the tricksters into wanting the job he offered. And I loved that Aahz and Skeeve were able to enlist the help of their friends, one-time enemies, and new acquaintances (for Skeeve, at least) to march forward in the biggest battle that they've sen in recent years.

This book reinforced the idea that there's no mes
Robert
The fantasy duo of Skeeve and Aahz con their way into what they expect will be a cushy job at court. Quickly they find themselves facing down an overwhelming army with nothing but their wits and a few misfits they hire from the interdimensional Bazaar at Deva.

Fun, good-natured, brisk romp through fantasy realms inhabited by humor of situational, character, anachronistic and punning varieties. And by original takes on traditional fantasy creatures.

I'm reading the books out of sequence, and it's
Bruce Lowther
Good followup story to the first. I thought the ending was a bit weak, but a pleasant and fast read.
Valerie
Can't find my copy of this, either. I need a copy, too, since it's repeatedly referred to in later volumes.

FOUND ONE!

This is one of the better episodes. Skeeve is hired on as a court magician, and his first assignment is to stop or divert a massive invasion army.

Skeeve has to recruit mercenaries--but he also has to come up with a way of changing the invading army's motivation.

One point: there's a significant lacuna in this volume, which is filled in in later volumes. It's never explained who hir
Jordan
Tons of light-hearted fun. To me the best of the series.
Zavier Carr
Not as good as the first but still a good book.
Joel Lantz
Better than a colonoscopy!
Tony Matthews
Short, simple, entertaining.
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1)
  • The Hour of the Gate (Spellsinger, #2)
  • Xanth: The Quest for Magic (Xanth, #1-3)
  • Camber the Heretic (The Legends of the Camber of Culdi, #3)
  • Callahan's Key (The Place, #1) (Callahan's Series, #8)
  • The Wizardry Consulted (Wiz, #4)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...

Myth Adventures (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Myth-ion Improbable (Myth Adventures, #11)
Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1) Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)

“Numerical superiority is of no consequence. In battle, victory will go to the best tactician."- G. A. Custer” 18 likes
“Diplomacy is the delicate weapon of the civilized warrior."- Hun, A. T.” 9 likes