Start by marking “Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:
Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)

Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,484 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
After mistakenly being appointed court magician by a regent who should have known better, apprentice mage Skeeve must defend a kingdom from the mightiest invading army in the world.
Published December 27th 2005 by Ace (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Myth Conceptions, please sign up.

Alex H. Prym is a typo away from being Hank Pym, the first Ant-Man and later known as Giant-Man.

Gavin
Oct 02, 2014 Gavin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the second book in Robert Asprin's lighthearted and fun Myth series of fantasy books. It delivered much the same as the first book. Witty dialogue, action, magic, and likable characters.

Skeeve is invited to try out for the position of court magician by his master Aahz, who claims it will be an easy job. It's not of course, and before long Skeeve finds himself having to defend the whole kingdom against a massive invading army with only the few magical tricks he has mastered so far. Lucky
Stephen
3.5 stars. This is the second book in the Myth Adventures series and, like the first book Another Fine Myth, I really enjoyed it. These books are fun, light reads that are perfect for when you either need a mood pick me up, or maybe just want to be entertained without having to invest too much grey matter at the same time.

In this second installment, Skeeve, an apprentice magician, and his teacher Aahz, a demon from another dimension summoned in the first book by Skeeve's dead master, along with
Werner
Dec 11, 2009 Werner rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of humorous fantasy
Recommended to Werner by: My wife
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Usually, when I read books that are part of a series, I prefer to start at the beginning. However, my wife picked this second volume of the author's Myth series up at our local flea market, and suggested that we read it together, so I did. While it makes some reference to previous events, and many of the characters have prior history with each other, it can be enjoyed well enough as a stand-alone.

Set in another dimension where magic, or magik, as Asprin spells it here, (strictly of the incantati
Klodovik2
Jul 15, 2015 Klodovik2 rated it really liked it
Stvarno sam u nedoumici oko ocjenjivanja ove knjige. Uopće nije loša dapače dobra je ali nekako ne dopire do mene. Prva knjiga me uvukla u svoj svjet u zadnjij trećini a ova tek u zadnje dvi stranice.
Ocjena 3.5/5
Desinka
Oct 02, 2014 Desinka rated it liked it
This second installment in the Myth series was a lot of fun. It was again full of witty dialogue and fun happenings. I liked how Skeeve developed and a characters and the way he dealt with the hard situation he was in. I loved the new additions to the team as well as the appearance of some characters from the first book.

Looking forward to starting the next book.

Rating 3.5 stars.
April Brown
Oct 16, 2011 April Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, fantasy
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up. While ten to twelve might enjoy it, there are many ideas they will not understand. Though, they will certainly get many of the jokes.

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 1980.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the
Aleksandar Nikolov
Забавата продължава , и този път е в по мащабен план. Този път от решенията на Скийв и компания зависи бъдещето на едно измерение! А компанията е от идиот надолу. Просто и безпретенциозно Асприн с лекота ти става любим автор....
Michael
Jan 31, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults, fantasy role-players, Asprin fans
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
Shelves: satire, fantasy
This, the second book in the “Myth Adventures” series, was the first I read as a book (see my review of “Another Fine Myth” for the full explanation thereof). I still had the images from Phil Foglio’s comic books to inform my ideas of the characters, but this was a new story to me. The focus is less on the process of learning magic and more on Skeeve’s developing confidence and a bit of an expansion of our understanding of his world and the other worlds nearby.

The story, once again, pits Skeeve
Neil
Nov 12, 2015 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun, and light hearted, fantasy adventure featuring Skeeve and Aahz. Aahz is a Demon from Perv, which makes him a Pervect. In the preceding book he had been summoned by Skeeve's now dead master, and then found that his magical powers had been removed. Stuck in the world of Klah, he then finds himself with Skeeve as his apprentice. All was fine while they were hidden away in the middle of nowhere, until Skeeve gets an invitation to become a magician for the small Kingdom of Possiltum.
Thin
Kynan
Jan 31, 2015 Kynan rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, audio, comedy
Myth Conceptions picks up just after where Another Fine Myth left off, with Skeev, Aahz and Gleep looking for whatever comes next after dealing with Isstvan. In fairly short order they find themselves embroiled in court drama and military shenanigans.

The story is told with the same style and level of humour as Another Fine Myth (the main thing that there is to enjoy about this book) and is pretty similar in plot come to that. I know that these books are meant to be light comic relief (well, I th
diane
Nov 03, 2014 diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ford
Silly fun with many moments of hilarity. Still good after all this time. :)
Conan Tigard
Nov 15, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you pick up a Myth book, you know that you are in for a fun, good time.

As Robert Asprin becomes more familiar with his characters, the banter between the becomes even more funny. Asprin states that he is trying to capture the feel of Bob and Bing’s dialog in the Road movies . . . and he does a great job of it. Personally, I love the quick, witty dialog and enjoy the way that the story moves along at a fast pace, with no slow spots. I can’t tell you how many times authors get bogged down tryi
Riana
Feb 16, 2014 Riana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The magician-in-training Skeeve lives a peaceful but extraordinary life in a run-down old inn with his master Aahz, his pet dragon and a unicorn. Being considered for the position of court magician, Aahz prepares him for a live of luxury and even more peacefulness. Little did they know that this is the start of a great adventure entailing gigantic armies, legendary archers, stone men and gremlins. Will Skeeve succeed in his first (and possibly fatal) task in the kingdom of Possiltum?

A definite i
Doris
May 13, 2015 Doris rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
It has been a while since I read this, but I still recall the Archer and Skeeve's conversation at the battle, where Skeeve built up the Archer's confidence. Then the Archer asked him, if you could do that, why do you need me? The answer was classic, and wonderful advice to and from a managerial type.
Henrik Schunk
Dec 29, 2014 Henrik Schunk rated it really liked it
Myth Conceptions starts out strong as usual with our loveable characters sticking it to each other and making good headway to find trouble as soon as possible. This time, they are pitted against a mighty army and face it with the usual mixture of bravery, recklessness and deadpan humour. The book gets a tad repitive when the narrative shifts towards the battlefield and lacks the "caper character" of the first book. The ending - despite being surprising and worth a chuckle - feels like a bit of s ...more
Nippy Katz
Mar 26, 2015 Nippy Katz rated it liked it
Skeeve takes on a contract as court magician, aided by his demon buddy/mentor Aahz, to a kingdom that's threatened by a monstrously huge invasion. It's an army like locusts. Nothing can stand up to it. Gags flow unimpeded. Quirky, but not too quirky, characters abound. There's a satisfying, if not too surprising, conclusion to the affair.

This is assembly line stuff, but it's good assembly line stuff. Asprin knows how to crank out light entertainment. Don't expect philosophical epiphanies or nev
Tamberleigh
Jul 12, 2015 Tamberleigh rated it really liked it
The second Myth book is even better than the first. The story picks up roughly where the first left off, introducing more new characters.

Rather than being a brains versus brawn plot, Aspirin's characters rely upon luck and bluff, and the story moves along so quickly that even the readers fall for the con.

I was more interested in the story of some of the side characters, such as Ajax and Brockhurst, but this book is more a heist novel (a group of characters coming together to pull one over on a
Ensiform
Jun 24, 2011 Ensiform rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The second Myth Adventures book. Despite being a mere apprentice to a depowered demon, Skeeve manages to snag what he and Aahz think will be a sinecure: Court Magician to the king of Possiltum in Klah. Unfortunately, no sooner is he hired that he is told that the world’s largest army is advancing on the kingdom and his job is top stop it; further, that he will get no help from the army. Still further, if he succeeds, the army will be out to kill him, and if he fails, the council’s men will be ou ...more
Jamie
Aug 15, 2008 Jamie rated it really liked it
One of my most childhood (well, teenagerhood) possessions is a pair of graphic novels based on Robert Asprin's "Myth" series, illustrated by Phil Foglio. I also read most of the books themselves and enjoyed them nearly as much. When I recently decided to re-read the first three books (Another Fine Myth, Myth Conceptions, and Myth Directions) I was surprised to find out how well they held up. They're still really fun!

Now while "fun" isn't the word I'd use to describe most books in the fantasy gen
John Kirk
Oct 06, 2011 John Kirk rated it really liked it
This is a good story, which continues to expand the world(s) that the characters inhabit. Unfortunately, it was let down by poor editing. For instance, in my copy (part of The Myth-ing Omnibus) every occurence of "Pervect" has been changed to "Pervert". It's also unfortunate that Skeeve seems to refer to demons as a species (more or less synonymous with Deveels): this contradicts the first book, where he says that demon = dimension traveller, so a demon could theoretically be a member of any spe ...more
The Flooze
Apr 06, 2009 The Flooze rated it really liked it
Myth Conceptions, the second book in the adventures of the apprentice magician Skeeve and the demon Aahz, doesn't disappoint. The blend of comedy and fantasy makes for a light-hearted and entertaining read. Oh, the trouble these two get themselves into!

From the opening line, Asprin had me laughing: "Of all the various unpleasant ways to be aroused from a sound sleep, one of the worst is the noise of a dragon and a unicorn playing tag."

What's supposed to be a cushy position as Court Magician, lea
Tom
Sep 03, 2012 Tom rated it liked it

Myth Conceptions is the second book in the Myth Series series written by Robert Asprin. The increasingly powerful Skeeve gets a job as court magician but soon finds out that it is a setup as the court is facing a massive invasion. Skeeve and Aahz must hire a rag-tag band of mercenaries to save the kingdom of Possiltum and they manage to do so with their customer bumbling and good humor.

The second book pretty much uses the same styles as the first relying on humor and good spirits to entertain th

Keziah Wallis
Apr 18, 2010 Keziah Wallis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-edit
The second book in Robert Asprin's MYTH Adventures starts off a year or so after the events of the first book. Our heroes are hiding out at an abandoned inn with Skeeve's magic skills progressing along despite Aahz's sometimes questionable teaching methods. This time Skeeve is invited to interview for the position of Court Magician at the small kingdom of Possiltum. Spurred on by Aahz he heads off to win the position only to discover that he must now defeat an invading army which is larger that ...more
Seth Kenlon
Oct 04, 2015 Seth Kenlon rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
When I bought it used, I did not realise that this book was the second in a series. Luckily, the story is pretty self-contained and I wasn't distracted at all by not knowing the back-stories of the main characters.

The story itself is good; young wizard still learning the ropes must save the kingdom from evil hoardes. Pretty straight-forward fantasy stuff. It's maybe not quite as light-hearted and silly as I'd expected from the punny title, but it's an easy read, and the story is mostly easy-goi
Ежко Таралежко
Feb 04, 2016 Ежко Таралежко rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Пълната лудница продължава и във втората книга от серията на Робърт Асприн - със същите идиотски герои и още по-идиотските им приключения.
Чете се с лекота, забавно е и те кара да се усмихваш, та бих нарекъл книгата (всъщност цялата поредица) книжен еквивалент на пуканките. Старомодни, със сол, всички знаем че сладките пуканки са гадни.
Tyrannosaurus regina
I'm honestly not even sure how to review this. It's total brain candy. There are aspects that are going to wear on me more in future books (the one-note characterisations, the reliance on stereotypes for humour), but at this point they're sort of just fleeting past me as I zip through the story.
Rick
Sep 03, 2015 Rick rated it really liked it
The Myth Series is a good series to revisit from time to time. The second book in the series is just as good as the first. It includes witty humor and our heroes getting out of tough jams using wit sprinkled with a touch of luck and magic.
Karen Fainges
Oct 17, 2013 Karen Fainges rated it really liked it
Skeve continues to discover the worlds of the demon in this funny continuation of the series. Having enjoyed the first book, I was expecting to like this one but wondering if it would be the same old jokes told again.

While the characters are the same, and the level of humour remains, this is no rehash. An excellent way to watch Skeve's abilities grow, Myth Conceptions, follows his bumbling path through ever more strange worlds.

New friends and enemies meet him and just like Aahz, you are never t
Shawna
Dec 26, 2014 Shawna rated it liked it
I like to reread this series every few years. December is a great month for this because the book is fun, lighthearted and definitely not hard to concentrate on during such a busy time of year.
Heidi Barley
Took a little to pick up (which is saying something, since these books are exceedingly short) but once the team starts to expand, this was quite the enjoyable little read.
  • A Multitude Of Monsters (The Ebenezum Trilogy, #2)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1)
  • Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's Series, #2)
  • Camber the Heretic (The Legends of the Camber of Culdi, #3)
  • The Wizardry Consulted (Wiz, #4)
  • The Hour of the Gate (Spellsinger, #2)
  • Shadowspawn
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Asprin...

Myth Adventures (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Myth-ion Improbable (Myth Adventures, #11)

“Numerical superiority is of no consequence. In battle, victory will go to the best tactician."- G. A. Custer” 18 likes
“Diplomacy is the delicate weapon of the civilized warrior."- Hun, A. T.” 10 likes