Start by marking “Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic” as Want to Read:
Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic

Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  8,177 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
Arguably the greatest collaboration in the whole history of comedy!

Bestselling author Douglas Adams wrote the storyline based on his CD-ROM game of the same name (as this novel, not as him, obviously).

Terry Jones of Monty Python wrote the book. In the nude! Parents be warned! Most of the words in this book were written by a naked man!

So. You want to argue with that? All ri
Published October 27th 1998 by Ballantine Books (first published October 21st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic

Stefanie
Aug 13, 2012 Stefanie rated it it was ok
I have to say I was kind of disappointed in this book. I absolutely adore my compendium of the Hitchhiker's saga (is saga the right word?), and was hoping that this would be a nice little addition to the world Douglas Adams created in that. Or else that it would be somehow similar to that episode of Doctor Who with Ten, although that's probably because I've been re-watching the series on Netflix.

The whole idea of the Starship Titanic was a one-off joke in the Hitchhiker's novels, and so while th
Josh
Oct 22, 2007 Josh rated it liked it
easily the best book I've ever read that was based on a CD-ROM computer game, especially under the sub-category of books written by comedians I like based on CD-ROM games by favorite authors. I dare say it tops both of those lists.
Kimberley doruyter
Apr 28, 2015 Kimberley doruyter rated it it was ok
i feel like there is a little robot tap-dancing on my brain.
Ashley
May 02, 2008 Ashley rated it did not like it
Shelves: 0wn4g3
When I learned that this book existed, I was desperate to find a copy. The brainchild of Douglas Adams, as interpreted by Terry Jones of "Monty Python" fame?! Where do I sign my soul away?

I'm very glad I didn't shell out a lot of cash for this book. It showed promise, but read like a chapter book for kids. I would not give this book to any child, though - there's a lot of sexual, R-rated antics, especially as the book gets moving. That's not to say that this is pure rat poison. The book has its
Mohammad
Jan 11, 2016 Mohammad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book I know something I did not know.
Silentium
Apr 26, 2012 Silentium rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Сигурно някои от Вас са чували за тази книга, а други може да са повече запознати с компютърната игра със същото име. Лично аз, като заблудено и необразовано агне, си мислех, че втората е правена по първата, а то се оказа, че всичко било правено… паралелно. Дъглас Адамс (познат на по-голяма част от човечеството със своя “Пътеводител на галактическия стопаджия”) измисля историята, но решава да я пренесе директно на компютърния екран. В същото време издателите му искали да напише и книга със същия ...more
Jordan
Apr 28, 2011 Jordan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adams completists
Shelves: science-fiction
I went into this book wanting to enjoy it. Well, more than that—I was expecting to enjoy it. After all, it was written by Terry Jones and based on a game by Douglas Adams.

What wouldn't there be to enjoy?

Spoiler alert: the answer is "A lot."

It wasn't good. It was short, though, which does count for something, but it wasn't short enough. It started off promisingly, but a few chapters in, it felt like the story just diverges from the plot of the game. This being said, I've yet to go through the gam
Tracey
Sep 14, 2007 Tracey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Douglas Adams completists, for the most part
I found a copy of Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic at a half-price book store last December, and picked it up. I'd played the related computer game when it came out back in 1997 and was curious to see how (what I remembered of) the storyline played out in book format.

The story opens with Leovinus - the genius designer of the Starship Titanic "the ship that cannot possibly go wrong" - taking a last-minute tour of the ship, only to find that some very serious corners were cut in its construction.
Sotiris Makrygiannis
May 19, 2016 Sotiris Makrygiannis rated it it was ok
Shelves: internet
A book from Adams that is not from Adams but from Terry. He was honest enough in his prologue to explain why this book was written and how. Also what are Terry 's strength and weaknesses. I couldn't agree more with his own critique about this book. The extra star goes for the honesty.
Ria
Aug 25, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful sci fi novel with a twist on the Titanic story.
Leovinus a genius of the galaxy has an idea to build the most magnificent starship known to the universe, all controlled by his beloved Titania.
Things go well until his accountant and other business partner cut corners due to financial issues, on the day of the launch the Starship Titanic suffers a SMEF, Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure and it crash lands right in the middle of a rectory on earth.
Enter the four humans, Nigel, Nettie
Anne
Feb 08, 2016 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Auch wenn ich kein wirklicher Fan von Monty Python bin und mit dem Namen Terry Jones nicht viel anfangen konnte, fühlte ich mich doch ein wenig in die Zeiten des "Anhalters" zurückversetzt. Die Reise von Lucy und Co. mit dem Starship Titanic erinnert gekonnt an Douglas Adams' Werk, wirkt aber leider auch teilweise wie ein lauwarmer Aufguss. Insgesamt war sie nette kurzweilige Unterhaltung.
Vassilena Valchanova
Една от не толкова добрите и забавни хумористични фантастики - слаба фабула и малко скучновати герои. Все пак съм доволна, че привършвам цикъла "Дъглас Адамс" :)
Bülent Özgün
Mar 20, 2016 Bülent Özgün rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eğlenceli bir romandı. Terry Jones, Douglas Adams'ın üslubunu yakalamış. Çeviri mükemmeldi Özden Arıkan'ın çeviri tercihlerine bayıldım.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 29, 2015 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, audio-books, 2015
A humorously silly planetary adventure...
Larry Lane
Oct 24, 2016 Larry Lane rated it liked it
I read this years ago, and lost my copy. Just bought it again, and was rather disappointed that it wasn't as good as I remembered. Character development is very poor, and the ending was extremely rushed. Give it an extra hundred pages to flesh out the characters and strengthen the ending, and it would be a much better book.
Ashley Adams
Oct 02, 2016 Ashley Adams rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ashley by: Jordan Hilton
Shelves: sci-fi, humor
Written to promote a game created by Douglas Adams, Starship Titanic captures the wit of Adams' sentence structure, and uses a world that parallels the famous Hitchhiker's Guide series. However, the characters are substandard and the plot is severely lacking (conflicts have a video game sense of urgency without actual stakes). Not really worth the time.
Ана Хелс
Nov 30, 2013 Ана Хелс rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ако някой себеуважаващ се читател на фентъзи и фантастика все още не се е запознал с магна опуса на Дъглас Адамс за Пътеводителя на всичките поизгубени галактически стопаджии – веднага да метнете една пухкава хавлия на рамо и да тичате през глава да си поправяте почти непростимата грешка. За всички останали – помните ли великолепния меланхолично – суициден мърморко с роботско сърце Марвин? Сега си представете цял гигантофилски кораб натоварен до пръсване само с вариации на Марвиновци, кой от кой ...more
Melissa
Jul 14, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
I received the computer game of the same name a long time ago as a Christmas gift from my dad. Can it be really 10 years ago? I am a huge Douglas Adam's fan. Sharing this same love Adams, my dad knew I would love the game. I did. It took me two years to get through it playing by myself. I had so much fun.

Thinking that reading the book would continue the festivities, I purchased this book a couple of weeks ago. I started it this morning and when I got to page 98 when I suddenly knew how the rest
Catsalive
Mar 19, 2015 Catsalive rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
I enjoyed it. There was a ring of Hitchhiker's about it but I really just liked it on its own merits. I thought the first few chapters were trying too hard to be Adams & Python but then it turned into more of a Dr Who in his current incarnation, extraordinarily silly but sweet, naughty & fun as well.

back cover:
At the centre of the galaxy, a vast, unknown civilization is preparing for an event of epic proportions, the launch of the greatest, most gorgeous, most technologically advanced sp
yexxo
Wer auf der Suche nach einem zumindest halbwegs ernsthaften Science-Fiction ist, sollte hiervon besser die Finger lassen. Denn wenn es eines bestimmt nicht ist, dann ernsthaft ;-)
Diejenigen, die sich hiervon nicht abschrecken lassen, erwartet eine 131 Minuten lange chaotische sowie völlig schräge Raumschifffahrt durchs All, während der sich lüsterne Stehlampendiensboter und liebestolle blerotinische Journalisten noch als kleinste Probleme herausstellen. Denn das supergigantische und hypermoderne
Reinhold
Dec 08, 2008 Reinhold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Die Titanic sollte eigentlich der größte Luxusliner der Weltraumgeschichte werden, allerdings hat sich das der Projektleiter ein anderes Konzept überlegt: Wenn das Schiff bereits beim Stapellauf zerstört wird, dann vergütet die Versicherung den Wert und es ist nicht wichtig, dass die Ausstattung bei Weitem nicht dem entspricht was geplant war. Die Titanic erleidet auch ein massives Existenzversagen, aber dennoch kommt sie durch. Aus den verschiedensten Gründen finden sich jedenfalls einige ...more
Abice07
Good easy Summertime read. Nothing fancy here besides some made up expletives and alien sex scenes. Don't go into this thinking Douglas Adams, think more of a lazier spoof to his work.
Diane
May 23, 2016 Diane added it
For my review, I shall put forth my favorite quotes from this book.

"Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure" I love the brilliant mind that can put together eloquent words like these such that I read them over and over again and try to visualize exactly what they say. I like it.

"They have vicious rabbits." Obviously a nod to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Well, that is the first thing that popped into my brain.

"You are actually speaking and understanding Blerontinian. Pretty convenient for write
Sierra Schetagne
Jan 10, 2016 Sierra Schetagne rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I’ll start by saying that I was very wary of this book when I purchased it. I’m such a sucker for anything Douglas Adams, therefore I must buy anything and everything that is in relation to him. I knew this book went along with the PC game that he made, but I was only wary because this book wasn’t actually written by him. (I read And Another Thing… by Eoin Colfer and was utterly disappointed.) Fortunately after reading the Introduction written by Adams himself, I began to feel a little bit ...more
Jessiqa
This is a book based on a video game which is based on a throw-away side-note in a very silly science fiction book called Life, The Universe, and Everything by Douglas Adams. This book, however, is written by Terry Jones, best known for his work with Monty Python. The Starship Titanic suffered a Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure, and the novel tells us how and what happened after, since apparently it is possible to exist after suffering a SMEF. Good to know. In the course of this inaugural ...more
Peter
Jun 04, 2011 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had always thought this book was more of a close collaboration (à la Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens, one of my all-time favourites). However it turns out that Adams spent his time on the computer game of the same name, with Terry Jones writing this novel based on the setting pretty much on his own.

So it's somewhat unfair to compare it with other works actually written by DNA. That's fortunate, because it doesn't stand up too well. There are a few great Adams-esque elements - the
Contrarywise
Sep 04, 2011 Contrarywise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found a audiobook on cassette of this novel in a library book sale. Terry Jones does a fantastic job of narrating it, doing all the voices. While not up to the brilliance of Hitchhikers Guide at its best, this is a lot of fun. I particularly like the red-eyed alien journalist, who is not allowed to use his personal name, so he is just called "the journalist." And inevitably, becomes "The" for short. "The" has a mad passion for the earthling woman lawyer who has been accidentally stranded on ...more
Marina Dubois
Dec 31, 2013 Marina Dubois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book can be very hard to read, especially for people who rarley read.It kind of demands that the reader has an imagination beond reason to appriciate it. This is because of the bizarre style of writng the author uses to imitate Douglas Adam's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It is well written but at times a little heavy to read, but mostly it has the same flow as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The story is not as twisted as Adam's masterpice, but more realistic even if you must
Sean Lewis
I got this book expecting it to be similar to the H2G2 series and it was not. This does not make it a bad book but it did not live up to the expectations I had for it. On the plus side, it was quite funny and goes at a steady clip so it was a quick read that was enjoyable. Some of the redeeming qualities were the humor and pace, but it lacked in actual substance.
The main characters are not very relatable and make you wish Arthur Dent would show up and make up for it. The way the book is written
Lisa Tobleman
Mar 12, 2015 Lisa Tobleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this as a graduation gift from some friends back when it first came out and it remains a favorite "I need a good laugh" story. No it is Not Mr Adams or Mr Jones best books, but it is short, silly, with lots of fun poking fun at sci fi space operas and the folks who read the genre. This is one of those time where reading the Author' intro helps put the book in perspective. It is based off a throwaway phrase in the Hitchiker series, then morphed by some PC gaming and CD ROM ...more
What is main contents on it? 2 9 Feb 19, 2012 10:06PM
  • The Deeper Meaning of Liff
  • The Road to Mars: A Post-Modem Novel
  • Wish You Were Here: The Official Biography of Douglas Adams
  • Red Dwarf Omnibus: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers & Better Than Life (Red Dwarf, #1-2)
  • Whom God Would Destroy
  • First Contact-Or, It's Later Than You Think (Parrot Sketch Excluded)
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • The Pythons Autobiography by The Pythons
  • Class Dis-Mythed (Myth Adventures, #16)
Terence Graham Parry Jones is a Welsh comedian, screenwriter and actor, film director, children's author, popular historian, political commentator and TV documentary host. He is best known as a member of the Monty Python comedy team.
More about Terry Jones...