Start by marking “A Rainbow of My Own” as Want to Read:
A Rainbow of My Own

A Rainbow of My Own

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A small boy imagines what it would be like to have his own rainbow to play with.
Published December 14th 1978 by Puffin (first published March 20th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about A Rainbow of My Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rainbow of My Own

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussThe Frog and Toad Treasury by Arnold LobelDinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneCaps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
Preschoolers at Second Grade Level
39th out of 69 books — 2 voters
An Abundance of Katherines by John GreenRoom by Emma DonoghueHector and the Search for Happiness by François LelordThe Rainbow by D.H. LawrenceThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Rainbow Book Covers!
87th out of 202 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Rainbows are magic! No matter how torn, battered, and bitter my heart gets, I will always believe magic can be found at the end of a rainbow. Not so sure about that pot of gold theory, but that’s a whole other story! ;)

With color, fun, and wonder, Don Freeman captures the remarkable, evanescent magic of a rainbow. The colors jump, shine, and pull readers into this little boy’s imagination and day of play with that beautiful band of color!

Whether it’s in the sky, on the wall, in these pages, or i
Julia
This book is adorable. It tells the story of a young boy who sees a rainbow on a dark and stormy day and tries to catch it but comes to find you can’t find the end of a rainbow to catch it. Therefore, the boy imagines he could catch a rainbow and how having a rainbow of his very own would be fun for so many different reasons. Then, the sun comes back out and when he goes back to his home he finds a rainbow shining on his wall from the sun shining through the goldfish bowl. Not only does this in ...more
현순 최
Curiosity is caused of the imagination. A boy wanted to catch a rainbow for his own. When he runs outdoor, he tries to get it. Suddenly, the rainbow following him, the boy plays with it. As the sun came out again, it was disappeared, but when he came back home, he found a rainbow for him. Children get everything by having an imagination.
Aprils
Some of the illustrations were magical. I enjoyed the picture of rows of flowers. I also loved the ending, when the rainbow shines through the fishbowl.
Ezekiel
Cute enough, it features some nice illustrations of a young child playing with an imaginary rainbow. At the end the child goes home (after the rainbow has disappeared) and finds a rainbow created by zir fishbowl. The end seemed to be incongruent with the rest of the writing and storytelling, as the book is very simple otherwise, while the end seems to be trying to give a lesson on light and refraction/reflection. Nevertheless, the lesson isn't necessarily bad, just oddly placed.
Sheri
Simple, cute and classic - love don Freeman's illustrations. A fast, entertaining book that can keep a young audience at atttention
Eva Leger
Julia and I both really loved the illustrations but we both also prefer Corduroy. This is an okay little story and we liked the ending, how the little boy found a rainbow of his very own.
The way the boy went about trying to catch the rainbow he saw is something that most kids will understand also - seeing as how when you look at the end of a rainbow it always seems to end somewhere.
Mary Sesar
The book is about a little boy who see's a rainbow one day. He thinks about everything he would do with a little rainbow if only he could have one of his own. When he arrives home, he sees that the reflection from his fishbowl does leave him a rainbow of his own.
I would use this as a topic starter in science to talk about where rainbows come from and what's needed for one to appear.
Jenne
This is a precious book of imagination and appreciating the wonders of nature with a touch of science at the end. We love this book at our house and it is going on the "good enough to buy and keep list."
kate and lexi
A sweet little story of a boy imagining he is playing with a rainbow. Simple, whimsical illustrations appealed to my children but didn't delight them enough to make this a must-own book.
Amy
My biggest issue with this book is the drawing of the rainbow. So he didn't put all the colors in, fine. But he could have at least put the three in order! Other than that, adorable.
Rachel
This was the book that my toddler daughter had me read over and over and over and over... and for some reason, I never tired of this sweet character playing with their very own rainbow.
Heather Summers
could be used during a lesson on color and light in science. Teach students where rainbows come from and where they go when we don't see them anymore.
Rainey
A short picture book full of childhood wonder. Freeman's simple illustrations illuminate the story itself, allowing the imagination to truly take hold.
Susanbrimley
I have been reading this bood to my children for a while and we never tire of it. I personalize the rainbow when I read it and the kids laugh!
Megan
this would be a good book to read and then to discuss how rainbows actually appear and then kids could maybe paint a rainbow of their own.
Matthew
As with all Don Freeman books, this is very well done. A fast, entertaining book that can keep a young audience at atttention.
Jen
Very sweet picture book. We loved how this book sort of introduced the idea of how rainbows are made at the end of the book.
Tricia
Cute enough...can't see working for storytime but rather quiet nighttime reading at home. Little boy plays with a rainbow.
Lars Dunavant
Nice little story about having something of your very own, which can be seen as creativity and imagination.
Kelly
This book is a great book about rainbows and what people in history thought rainbows were.
Courtney
Great book to read aloud. I love how the little boy chases the rainbow. Bobo loved this one, too.
Zaidee
A classic and one that Zaidee really liked to look at the picture of the rainbows.
Maria
Lovely pictures, especially the one where the rainbow hides in the flower garden.
Marie
I have loved this story since I was a kid and still love it now that I am older!
Jpclarkson
One of my favorite books As a kid. Now Corban loves to have me read it to him.
Carissa
Loved the illustrations and the story with the happy ending. Super cute!
Sandberg
It's very cute cause the rainbow follows him and wants to play!~Abby
Dolly
Jun 06, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
A fun book about what a boy imagines a rainbow of his own would do.
  • A Busy Year
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • Starry Safari
  • The Wind Blew
  • The Cow That Went OINK
  • One Is a Feast for Mouse: A Thanksgiving Tale (Mouse (Holiday House))
  • Baby Beluga
  • Angus Lost
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • The Night Before Thanksgiving
  • The Snow Globe Family
  • What Makes a Rainbow? Mini edition (A Magic Ribbon Book)
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • Apples and Pumpkins
20730
Don Freeman was a painter, printmaker, cartoonist, children's book author, and illustrator. He was born in San Diego, California, attended high school in Missouri, and later moved to New York City where he studied etching with John Sloan.
Frequent subjects included Broadway theatre, politics, and the circus. He was also a jazz musician, and the brother of circus entrepreneur Randy Freeman.

More about Don Freeman...
Corduroy A Pocket for Corduroy Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever! Dandelion Corduroy Goes to the Doctor (lg format)