Start by marking “A Rainbow of My Own” as Want to Read:
A Rainbow of My Own

A Rainbow of My Own

Published December 14th 1978 by Puffin Books (first published March 20th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about A Rainbow of My Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rainbow of My Own

Feb 29, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Rainbows are magic! No matter how torn, battered, and bitter my heart gets, I will always believe magic can be found at the end of a rainbow. Not so sure about that pot of gold theory, but that’s a whole other story! ;)

With color, fun, and wonder, Don Freeman captures the remarkable, evanescent magic of a rainbow. The colors jump, shine, and pull readers into this little boy’s imagination and day of play with that beautiful band of color!

Whether it’s in the sky, on the wall, in these pages, or i
Angie
Mar 17, 2015 Angie rated it liked it
Synopsis: "A small boy imagines what it would be like to have his own rainbow to play with."

My Review: This was a very short story even for a children's book. It is nearly wordless but has good illustrations. The simple concept of chasing a rainbow and making it your own is something a lot of kids imagine and I enjoyed the conclusion how the little boy ends up with his own rainbow in his room.
Rachel
Jun 05, 2017 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: laurie-books, june-17
Cute story and great to help learn colors.
Julia
Mar 11, 2013 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This book is adorable. It tells the story of a young boy who sees a rainbow on a dark and stormy day and tries to catch it but comes to find you can’t find the end of a rainbow to catch it. Therefore, the boy imagines he could catch a rainbow and how having a rainbow of his very own would be fun for so many different reasons. Then, the sun comes back out and when he goes back to his home he finds a rainbow shining on his wall from the sun shining through the goldfish bowl. Not only does this in ...more
Hannah Grosse
Sep 03, 2016 Hannah Grosse rated it liked it
This book would be a good bed book for younger children. The majority of the time, a little boy is imagining what he would do with a rainbow if he had one. It was fun to see all the things he came up with that he could do with a rainbow, and also it was interesting to get near the end and to find that he is old enough to know that his magic rainbow was imaginary. You don't see that all too often. It's exciting to know that he found a rainbow on his wall, too. I remember always getting excited to ...more
Ezekiel
Sep 23, 2011 Ezekiel rated it liked it
Cute enough, it features some nice illustrations of a young child playing with an imaginary rainbow. At the end the child goes home (after the rainbow has disappeared) and finds a rainbow created by zir fishbowl. The end seemed to be incongruent with the rest of the writing and storytelling, as the book is very simple otherwise, while the end seems to be trying to give a lesson on light and refraction/reflection. Nevertheless, the lesson isn't necessarily bad, just oddly placed.
Mary Sesar
Dec 16, 2011 Mary Sesar rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The book is about a little boy who see's a rainbow one day. He thinks about everything he would do with a little rainbow if only he could have one of his own. When he arrives home, he sees that the reflection from his fishbowl does leave him a rainbow of his own.
I would use this as a topic starter in science to talk about where rainbows come from and what's needed for one to appear.
Eva Leger
Aug 13, 2011 Eva Leger rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
Julia and I both really loved the illustrations but we both also prefer Corduroy. This is an okay little story and we liked the ending, how the little boy found a rainbow of his very own.
The way the boy went about trying to catch the rainbow he saw is something that most kids will understand also - seeing as how when you look at the end of a rainbow it always seems to end somewhere.
현순 최
Sep 09, 2014 현순 최 rated it liked it
Shelves: imagination
Curiosity is caused of the imagination. A boy wanted to catch a rainbow for his own. When he runs outdoor, he tries to get it. Suddenly, the rainbow following him, the boy plays with it. As the sun came out again, it was disappeared, but when he came back home, he found a rainbow for him. Children get everything by having an imagination.
Jenne
Sep 13, 2013 Jenne rated it really liked it
This is a precious book of imagination and appreciating the wonders of nature with a touch of science at the end. We love this book at our house and it is going on the "good enough to buy and keep list."
Sheri
Jul 09, 2014 Sheri rated it really liked it
Simple, cute and classic - love don Freeman's illustrations. A fast, entertaining book that can keep a young audience at atttention
Megan
Dec 13, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
this would be a good book to read and then to discuss how rainbows actually appear and then kids could maybe paint a rainbow of their own.
Rainey
Jan 03, 2011 Rainey rated it really liked it
A short picture book full of childhood wonder. Freeman's simple illustrations illuminate the story itself, allowing the imagination to truly take hold.
Tricia
Mar 28, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
Cute enough...can't see working for storytime but rather quiet nighttime reading at home. Little boy plays with a rainbow.
Susanbrimley
Aug 05, 2008 Susanbrimley rated it really liked it
I have been reading this bood to my children for a while and we never tire of it. I personalize the rainbow when I read it and the kids laugh!
Carissa
Apr 25, 2013 Carissa rated it it was amazing
Loved the illustrations and the story with the happy ending. Super cute!
Heather Summers
Apr 13, 2011 Heather Summers rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, art, creativity
could be used during a lesson on color and light in science. Teach students where rainbows come from and where they go when we don't see them anymore.
Lars Dunavant
Feb 14, 2013 Lars Dunavant rated it really liked it
Nice little story about having something of your very own, which can be seen as creativity and imagination.
Paula
Feb 26, 2015 Paula rated it liked it
Read for Early Headstart 2.19.2015
Read for Headstart 2.26.2015
Katie Fitzgerald
Mar 18, 2013 Katie Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Read at Preschool Story Time on 3/15/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
kate and lexi
Feb 25, 2010 kate and lexi rated it liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
A sweet little story of a boy imagining he is playing with a rainbow. Simple, whimsical illustrations appealed to my children but didn't delight them enough to make this a must-own book.
Eric Hinkle
Jan 15, 2017 Eric Hinkle rated it really liked it
I always marvel at Freeman's illustrations. They're absolutely perfect.
A.
Aug 20, 2013 A. rated it really liked it
My biggest issue with this book is the drawing of the rainbow. So he didn't put all the colors in, fine. But he could have at least put the three in order! Other than that, adorable.
Kelly
Mar 20, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
This book is a great book about rainbows and what people in history thought rainbows were.
Jpclarkson
Oct 20, 2011 Jpclarkson rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books As a kid. Now Corban loves to have me read it to him.
Indah Threez Lestari
146 - 2016
Peacegal
Aug 20, 2014 Peacegal rated it liked it
Pretty, ethereal illustrations.
Elisabeth
Apr 18, 2015 Elisabeth rated it it was ok
Meh, Don Freeman has written and illustrated much better picture books. This one was disappointing all the way around. I checked this book out from the Mississippi Library Commission.
Zaidee
Sep 06, 2012 Zaidee rated it really liked it
A classic and one that Zaidee really liked to look at the picture of the rainbows.
Diana Thomsen
Sep 19, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
This is such a sweet little book! The colors are vibrant, and the story is both simple and pleasant. I never thought about owning a rainbow of my own, but now I want one!
  • Sky Fire (Moonbear)
  • The Wind Blew
  • What Makes A Rainbow (Magic Ribbon Books)
  • A Busy Year
  • Angus Lost
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • Read to Your Bunny
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • The Bunyans
  • Inside a Barn in the Country: A Rebus Read-Along Story
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • The Gingerbread Boy
20730
Don Freeman was a painter, printmaker, cartoonist, children's book author, and illustrator. He was born in San Diego, California, attended high school in Missouri, and later moved to New York City where he studied etching with John Sloan.
Frequent subjects included Broadway theatre, politics, and the circus. He was also a jazz musician, and the brother of circus entrepreneur Randy Freeman.

More about Don Freeman...