Start by marking “The Premature Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Premature Baby from Birth to Age One” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This major new addition to the Sears Parenting Library is a comprehensive, authoritative, and reassuring guide for parents of premature babies. 20 line drawings & photos.
Published September 21st 2004 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Premature Baby Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Premature Baby Book

Shannon
I try to go into situations with knowledge with the hopes of not needing it. This book was very informative about what happens in many NICU's and even discussed NICU etiquette. It was a great and easy read that I recommend if you're going through a high-risk pregnancy with the possibility of pre-term delivery.
Amanda
I disagree with previous reviews calling this book worthless. It is an extremely helpful guide for parents- neonatology 101, but will obviously not help you earn your medical degree. It includes helpful information for interaction with your baby's medical staff, who would answer any further questions you would have.

I came across this book after going into preterm labor and highly recommend it to moms and dads who like me, want to prepare themselves as much as possible for what to expect. The de...more
Robert
The Premature Baby Book is written at such a low level that it is nearly worthless. For example, we wanted information on iron supplementation. The Book informed us that premature babies need iron. That's it. No information on dosage. No information on duration of treatment. No mention of products available. No mention that iron is only recommended for preemies below a certain birth weight. The Book tells us that preemies need a multivitamin, but does not tell us which specific vitamins they nee...more
Karen
Very sound advise for caring for a preemie. Pro-breast-feeding, pro-family bed. "Help baby thrive and flourish... medical decisions... anticipate developmental issues... unique features and needs head to toe system by system... common concerns and med challenges... breast feeding... bonding..." This book is very comprehensive and easy to understand. Very thorough. Sear's is highly respected.

Note: Nick, our preemie grandson, caught up quickly to other boys his age and is actually big for his age...more
Evie
Simple read. Sometimes the information seems to repeat itself.
Brittney Clay
I read this book while I was on bed rest preparing to deliver our premature baby. It was helpful in easing many concerns I had as well as helping me navigate the world of the NICU. A lot of the book is repetitive from all other Sears books in emphasizing the importance of attachment parenting but this book also included the ins and outs of attachment parenting when you aren't able to be with your baby right away or able to touch and hold your baby.
Melina
If you have or are likely to have a preemie or are having a high-risk pregnancy, this is an excellent resource. It's a great intro of sorts to what NICU life is like and may help alleviate concerns or fears you have about various treatments, machines, medicines, and other things you can expect in a NICU.
Courtney
This book is a great tool if you are expecting to deliver early or have a preterm baby. It is a great introduction to life in the NICU. It will provide you will so much insight as to how things work and what to expect so you won't be overwhelmed & can focus on your new arrival.
Becky
Very helpful. Detailed explantations of the NICU as well as common issues with preemie babies and the care they need. I appreciated the advice on talking to the medical staff. My biggest regret that I didn't get this book soon enough!
Jenn
While this book has some helpful information I found a lot was "fluffy". There are better books out there but this one is worth a quick look through anyway. If you do pick this one up, the most helpful section was on attachment parenting.
Abigail (Abbe)
Best premature baby book I read..there are not enough of these types of books but this one has covered every question I have ever had. Thank you Sears family for publishing this book.
Taryn
There was quite a bit of good information in this book, but it would have been much more helpful if I had read it while my son was in the hospital instead of after he was released.
Shannon
love love love...even though if you have other books in the Sears library you get some amount of repitition (mostly regarding breastfeeding, co-sleeping and attachment parenting).
Amber
Good resource for parents who could have NICU babies. This was recommended to me by multiple moms of preemies and it will be something I'll revisit as it becomes more applicable.
Heather
I received this book as a gift after our daughter arrives at 33 weeks. It was a fantastic book it really helped me get through life in the NICU and beyond.
Julia
I think "Preemies" is more detailed and helpful, particularly about the NICU experience, but this one is still useful and informative.
Sara
As my baby has not arrived yet, I'm not sure just how useful the information is. However, it did serve to alleviate some fears!
Veronica
Best book about premature babies that I have read. Lots of useful information.
Monica
One of the newest books on premies. Bought a copy for additional reference
Tisha
This book was a great help in preparing me for my preemie twins.
Lisa
Great book for feeding issues and post NICU work ups.
Cheray Arias-salas
Cheray Arias-salas marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Miss
Miss marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Renee
Renee is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Tanya
Tanya is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2014
Meaghan
Meaghan is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dr. Sears, or Dr. Bill as his "little patients" call him, is the father of eight children as well as the author of over 30 books on childcare. Dr. Bill is an Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine. Dr. Bill received his pediatric training at Harvard Medical School's Children's Hospital in Boston and The Hospital for Sick Children in T...more
More about William Sears...
The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two The Attachment Parenting Book: A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby The Birth Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying Birth The Discipline Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Better-Behaved Child From Birth to Age Ten The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning