Seventeen
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

Seventeen

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  36 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about Seventeen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seventeen

1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussCatch-22 by Joseph Heller
Nothing but Numbers
382nd out of 756 books — 112 voters
The Silent Sky by Allan W. EckertThe Years of the Locust by Loula Grace ErdmanThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska OrczyThe Bridges at Toko-ri by James A. MichenerDeliver Us From Evil by Thomas A. Dooley
Mr. Elza's Reading List (List B) Part 2
24th out of 27 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl
This book is a hilarious take on adolescence, even after 100 years. You will cringe as it reminds you of the constant humiliations of being young and in love. If you are of a certain parental age, about halfway through you will also wish fervently, along with Mr. Prather, that Miss Pratt would just GO HOME, because only besotted young men could stomach her and her little white dog for an entire three months! There are many laugh-out-loud moments. Tarkington is a deft writer, and the humor comes...more
Jeremy
In which a self-important, lovestruck teenager is soundly (though rarely undeservedly, or cruelly for that matter) humiliated at every turn.

I've never had the patience for most things written before, say, 1972, and over the past few years I've begun to hate that about myself. I happened to read "Seventeen" aloud to my wife (which has proven to be a more restful pre-slumber activity than watching "The Two Coreys"), and we laughed and were terrifically entertained throughout, despite deep, old-ti...more
Melody Michelle
Gale
"NOBODY'S BUSINESS IS SAFE FFROM THAT CHILD!"

Small town romance is an uphill battle (not to mention source of public amusement) for easily-smitten seventeens in the 19 teens, when everyone knew everyone else's business--especially the protagonist's bratty little sister. It isn't enough that a fellow suffers the social torments of hell in order to impress a visiting bubble blond--his Baby Talk Lady, but that his pecocious younger sibling makes it her summer business to spy on, tattle on and harr...more
Norma Christensen
I began thinking about Seventeen as my grandchildren are arriving and leaving that crucial age. I thought I may have read this book when I was young, but I can't remember it at all. I even wonder if I may have an old copy at home lurking in the midst of my other teenage books.
I loved this book and the essence of Seventeen that the writer captures. At Seventeen, everything is a crisis in our lives and the world may end at any minute. The writing was suburb.
The characters were tremendous and aliv...more
Jordan Lahn
This book is one of the funniest books I've read in ages. Perfectly captures the joy and pain of being a teenager "in love." It's true, at times it was painfully ignorant of modern attitudes towards race, but at its heart this is a story as relatable today as it was when it was first a bestseller 100 years ago. Highly recommended.
Kathie
I stumbled on to this book quite by accident and I am so glad I did. The focus of the book are the travails of William Baxter, an infatuated, self-important teenager when a lovely but unbearable, baby-talking visitor, Miss Pratt, comes to the small town for the summer. William is constantly in crisis or a state of irritation. Whether it is caused by himself or embarrassment from his dirty faced, constantly eating, spying, and tattling little sister, Jane, or from the Black handyman, Genesis, emp...more
Trudy Ackerblade
This was a fabulous book. It was published nearly 100 years ago and proves that people have always been very funny, especially young men in love and their pesky little sisters. There are many, many smiles and laughs in this book.
Phebe
Sep 27, 2010 Phebe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Phebe by: Mother
If only there were more stars...one of the funniest books ever (though due to some less-than-PC characterizations one must remember the time period it was written in).
Susan
This has been one of my favorite books since I was 10 years old. Even though it was written in the early 1900's I still find it so witty and funny.
Kim
This is one of the funniest books ever. He nails perfectly a seventeen year old young man - no matter the time period.
Brad
Gleefully mocks the self-importance and stupidity of teenagers. I loved it.
Penny
This was a delightful book - my edition was not listed but was copyright 2006 by BiblioBazaar which must be for high school or college required reading. Otherwise I cannot imagine today's youth reading this book. Written in 1916, the language and mores of the time are evident. The humor is not necessarily slapstick or laugh-out-loud; nevertheless I did laugh out loud in one scene in Chapter X. This story could very well be made into a movie, preferably black and white, with a voice narrating som...more
Dayla
I found this book at a used book store. The copyright is 1915. However distant that time might seem, Tarkington's description of a lovelorn 17 year old is spot on. Here is an example:

"And then, as the distance between them lessened, he saw that she was ravishingly pretty; far, far prettier, indeed, than any girl he knew." This line seems rather blah until you read the next two that follow: "At least it seemed so, for it is, unfortunately, much easier for strangers to beautiful."

I also enjoyed th...more
Rusty
Fun read! This little book by Tarkington explores the humor in a first romantic experience of a seventeen-year-old boy's life. Recalling my own first love, I found myself empathizing with William at times. If it weren't for the traumatic feelings of first love and what happens that seems so tragic in the eyes of the teenager, one could laugh through the entire book. At times, however, I found myself wincing as circumstances contrived against William.

I enjoyed the characters so much. His pesky l...more
Jason Bradley Thompson
A slight but entertaining romantic comedy about a white teenager in pre-WWI America who has a crush on a ditzy girl and who thinks his parents are embarrassing old dorks. Snarkily observing his main character with an aloof authorial eye, Tarkington accurately captures the know-it-allness of being a teenage boy, which apparently was pretty much the same in 1910 as now, as were the emo passions of young love (albeit without sex, alcohol, unchaperoned car rides or heavy petting... apparently people...more
Logan
The first few chapters of this book are some of the funniest, wittiest things I've ever read. For that alone I would give the book 5 stars.....except that the rest of the chapters can't live up to the high standard set by that exposition. The whole thing just loses steam and kind of slumps to a stop before the end. A shame, really.
Virginia Eddy
Honestly, I read this so long ago, I can no longer remember much of it. I'll need to re-read it. Seems like it was about some of the misconceptions a teenager and his grandfather have about each other and their respective generations. Booth Tarkington's works are full of outdated racial language and perceptions, but his character studies are worth spending some time with.
Susan Henn
8/2013 Well written, humorous at times, but not very exciting (or interesting). The rich vocabulary and occasional insertion of wit kept me reading. The story, about the odd behavior of a teenage boy in love, showed that although teen activities have changed, the emotional behavior of teens in love has not. I enjoyed the little sister in the story.
Maggieb
This was one of my favourites when I was a tween. The trials and tribulations of poor William and his quest for the divine Miss Pratt (one of the noblest girls in America) always made me giggle. I am pleased to say that as an adult, I still find it very funny. There is also a warmth and innocence in the book, of a time gone by, never to return.
Sheela Word
Funny, delightful, highly realistic narrative about the romantic travails of a 17-year-old. The main character has a lofty view of himself that quotidian life seldom supports; his coquettish lady love speaks in "baby talk"; his dirty-faced, constantly-eating little sister never misses a trick; and the adults just want a little peace.
Pamela
The book's a bit of fluff...funny, but not all that socially significant. But what a great counterpoint it makes to Alice Adams. When read just before or after Alice Adams, this really shines.
Tom
Oct 31, 2012 Tom added it
Unable to finish. Which was disappointing: I rather enjoyed "The Maginificent Ambersons." The writing style in this one was, for me, unbearable. Tarkington takes the long way around to say the most mundane things; it was quite irritating.
Sally
Sweet story about a foolish boy falling in love with a girl visiting town for the summer. He is swept away by Love, but his little sister manages to keep his feet on the ground and his ego in check.
Paul Jellinek
A classic comedy about the trauma of adolescent love. Written shortly after World War I, the book is dated in some respects, but I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same.
Gavin
Nov 16, 2011 Gavin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A book about a dramatic crush on a girl in the summer of a boy's 17th year. Some mild humor involving his 10 yr old sister.

It was alright. A few laughs here and there.
Zackbreuls
it was a little slow but had a good story line, and made me laugh a couple of times but had some quite boring parts, but all together it was a great book
Heather
What a refreshing read! About a seventeen year old boy and his scrapes with love and a little sister. Funny stuff.
Ayu Palar
Mar 05, 2009 Ayu Palar marked it as to-read
Got the e-book from Sindi. But reading e-book always hurts my eyes, so yeah, I don't know when I will read it!
Marilyn
The best part is the little sister eating sugar on toast, but as a tale of youthful angst it's good enough.
  • John Brown's Body
  • The Plague and I
  • Summer of '42
  • Tanglewood Tales: A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Life with Father
Booth Tarkington was an American novelist and dramatist best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning novels The Magnificent Ambersons and Alice Adams.
More about Booth Tarkington...
The Magnificent Ambersons (The Growth Trilogy, #2) Alice Adams Penrod Penrod and Sam The Turmoil (The Growth Trilogy, #1)