Start by marking “Love Rules” as Want to Read:
Love Rules

Love Rules

Emma is stuck in Hamilton, Missouri, while her best friend, Mattie, and her brother, Jake, head to the West Coast for college. To stay in touch while they're gone, Emma makes Jake and Mattie promise to send a postcard back to her once a week. Each postcard has to have a new Love Rule uncovered that week. In the process, Jake and Mattie discover that love was right under th ...more
Published January 19th 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Love Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Rules

Amanda
Nov 20, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This book was everything I would want to read about and more. Focusing on Christianity, this book is based in Missouri, my home state, and then follows the main characters on their journey to college in California. I absolutely love college life, so this romantic novel was simply one I couldn't put down. The characters were well developed and I loved the differing points of view that the book offered. It allowed me to further understand all of the different characters and their motivations. This ...more
Chloe
Apr 27, 2014 Chloe rated it liked it
I would recommend this book. Not super amazing but I enjoyed it.
Books and Literature for Teens
Emma and Jake Jackson and Mattie Mays -The Three Musketeers, The Three Stooges, Three Coins in a Fountian. When Mattie and Jake (Emma's brother) decide to head for California to Freedom University, Emma is left behind; but before they leave Missouri, Emma makes them promise to send her postcards about everything they learn about love. And from the looks of things, it's going to be pretty hard too.....

LOVE RULE #1:
The chances of finding love at this university are slim to none. And slim went home
Sara ♥
October 18-19, 2013

That was as cute, but also cheesier than I remember.

Okay, so this is a really cute little story about three friends... Mattie Mays, and Emma and Jake Jackson. Mattie and Emma are best friends that are the same age and Jake's Emma's older brother by a year. Mattie skipped a grade though, so Jake and Mattie are going off to college in California and Emma (who is deaf and has lupus) is staying in Missouri to finish high school. Emma devises a cheesy, but apparently effective, way
Criselda
May 18, 2012 Criselda rated it really liked it
Shelves: worth-the-time
While reading this book, you're sure to experience tons of reactions; laugh, smile, get angry, be annoyed, cry (although I didn't), and a lot more.

When I read the first chapter, I instantly adored the characters. A boyish all-around witty unsociable girl, your cliché nice-guy jock who gets tired of things really fast, and his sister, the God-loving, mature-thinking, and innocent deaf.
Together, they make a great team. Out-of-the-ordinary traits mixed in with ordinary ones. And it worked. It fit.

T
Erica Brown-carter
May 14, 2013 Erica Brown-carter rated it it was amazing
Just finished! Love it! This is such a beautiful story and even the way it is written is beautiful. A story of three friends, two are siblings, that are discovering love in different ways. Love for friendship, God, partners, and oneself. The three main characters, Emma, Jake, and Mattie are so love-able and relate-able. Love can surprise us sometimes, often we don't recognize it even when it's staring us in the face. And this story definitely captures that. I love the way it's written. Mostly fr ...more
Emily
Aug 14, 2011 Emily added it
I have read this book over and over, it is just that good. It's a great story about a girl connecting with her friends through God, through college, and through post-cards. I truly love this book, and when I say I have read it over and over, I mean it. I have never gotten bored of this book. Mattie is absolutely hilarious, a great stronghold for her friends, and an absolutely amazing person. Dandi Daley Mackall really hit the nail on the head with this book, truly. I reccomend this book to all.
Samantha
May 17, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Most amazing book I have ever read. It makes you think about your own life and relationships and how God can be there always, whether you are ready to admit it or not. Plus it helps that the characters are so well written you cannot help but love them as they go out into the world of college dating and laughing at their attempts to discover love in all the wrong places.
Belicia Buena-Terrones
If your in the mood for something sweet and romantic this is a good read then. I really like books which are somewhat short, and have a very sweet story line and ending. I have read a lot of books like that but this one is really worth the read. Its for more of a person who likes to read straight on romance fiction:)
Kara
Nov 29, 2011 Kara rated it did not like it
This was shelved in with the regular fiction, but reads as a YA novel. A "Christian" YA at that. It was poorly written, the characters weren't well developed, and the God angle was hammered into you at every spare moment. I did not like it at ALL.
Runa
Dec 04, 2012 Runa rated it it was amazing
There's a lot of references to God and Christianity and I can see that bothering some readers but I thought it was a pretty sweet story. As long as the book isn't trying to convert me, I think references to god and religion can totally be included in a good YA novel.
Julie Elmore
Jul 02, 2015 Julie Elmore rated it it was amazing
I like how this book has a realistic view of Christianity and how the characters have struggles we all face in college.
Angela
Jun 15, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, romantic
Cute read. I kinda figured out what would happen but still liked it. It was cute and kinda of a fun look at college, though I am not sure my dating life was as eventful.
Ariel
Feb 28, 2015 Ariel rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend! It was a pretty quick read, a really fun, heart-warming story that holds a wonderful truth and message within. I recommend this for any young-adult and beyond!
Alexandra
Apr 15, 2010 Alexandra rated it really liked it
I love this book! It had a great plot, great characters, and it kept me laughing. The ending was somewhat what i had wanted, but it didn't live up to the rest of the book's greatness. I wanted more.
Apr 28, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Something about this book is off.
Cherilyn
Feb 09, 2009 Cherilyn rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore this book. I love how outgoing Mattie is. It makes me want to be a better person. Haha I hate Carson though. DOUCHE!
Marissa
Marissa rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2009
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2011
zeliz
zeliz rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2011
Hailey
Hailey rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Niki
Niki rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Mei Mei
Mei Mei rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2010
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2009
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Maisy Denzin
Maisy Denzin rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
  • With This Ring (Sierra Jensen, #6)
  • Kenzie's Story
  • Purity Reigns (Laurel Shadrach, #1)
A professional writer for over 20 years, Dandi Daley Mackall has written dozens of articles for popular magazines and published around 500 books for children and adults alike, with sales of over 4 million.

A frequent guest on radio and television talk shows, she lives in rural Ohio with her husband, three children, horses, dogs, & cats. Awards include the Edgar Award for Best YA Mystery, the H
More about Dandi Daley Mackall...

“I am Nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.” 34 likes