Jimmy Spoon and the Pony Express

Jimmy Spoon and the Pony Express

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Award-winning author Kristiana Gregory offers a fast-paced historical novel about a boy who joins the famed Pony Express. The action-packed adventure tale (sequel to The Legend of Jimmy Spoon) is based on the memoirs of Elijah Nicholas Wilson. The book includes a map of the Old West, a photo of real Pony Express riders, an author's note, a glossary, and bibliography.
Published October 1st 1994 by Scholastic (first published 1994)

Brian
Jimmy Spoon and the Pony Express By: Kristiana Gregory Brian Bredemann
Reading 8-McG
Book Review 5/26/08

Through the rigorous and cliff-hanging adventures and funny and sad emotions that Jimmy Spoon, the main character, came across in this novel, I would recommend this book to anyone who loves adventure and historical fiction. The book had a marvelous plotline in each and every page, the characters were described tremendously in their features and actions, and when I read this book, it made my m...more
Cinnamon
Jimmy Spoon is bored with life in Salt Lake City. After spending years with the Shoshoni Indians, Jimmy wants more adventure than his father's store can offer. When he sees an ad in the paper from Russell, Majors, and Waddell looking for young men to ride for the Pony Express, Jimmy sees that this could be the chance he's been looking for. He meets the qualifications- young, slim, able to ride, willing to risk life and limb-, so he signs up. Jimmy is stationed at Ruby Valley, Nevada, where he wi...more
Taneysha forsyth
In a fast-paced sequel to The Legend of Jimmy Spoon, young Pony Express rider Jimmy experiences more adventure than he could have imagined. By the author of Dear America: The Winter of Red Snow.My favorite part is Having returned from living with his friends, seventeen-year-old Jimmy Spoon, a Shoshoni, grows restless again and seeks adventure by taking a job with the Pony Express. You can find this book in ms.woodard 's libary
Tiffany Tilton
This is a good book for older elementary students to use as book report selection; it is also good for a lesson on "Wild West" days in America and America's history; this book would be great for teaching students about America's first postal system. Good historical fiction!
Anna
Its about a white boy that almost gets kidnapped but instead they ask him if he wants to go. He was a gift to a indian morther because she had a dream that one day she would have another son. He runs away from his real family to live with the indians!!!!

Emily
I read this aloud to my family on our weekend trip to Idaho. My boys all really enjoyed it. The writing wasn't that fantastic, something that may not have been as noticeable had I been reading it on my own. Nice book for those who like historical fiction.
Jimmy
this book is CRACK i like this book allot you will like this book if your into western stuff and indian times you could FIND THIS BOOK IN WOODYS LIBARY!!!!!!!!!!
Wendi
A fun read and a great extension to The Legend of Jimmy Spoon. I would consider this a must read for a fourth grade student.
Melissa
Good story about the Pony Express. I liked this Jimmy Spoon adventure better than the first one.
Lauri
Apr 15, 2008 Lauri rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All history buffs and those who have read the first book.
Recommended to Lauri by: Peggy Bankhead
The sequel to Jimmy Spoon. The kids love to find out what happened to Jimmy later in his life.
Cws
W JFGre
Staci Woodruff
Staci Woodruff marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Mmanikkodimani
Mmanikkodimani marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Amy Berti
Amy Berti marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Shari138
Shari138 marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Paige
Paige added it
Jun 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kristiana Gregory grew up in Manhattan Beach, California, two blocks from the ocean. She's always loved to make up stories [ask her family!], telling her younger siblings whoppers that would leave them wide-eyed and shivering. Her first rejection letter at age ten was for a poem she wrote in class when she was supposed to be doing a math assignment. She's had a myriad of odd jobs: telephone operat...more
More about Kristiana Gregory...
Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile - 57 B.C. The Winter of Red Snow: The Revolutionary War Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1777 (Dear America) Across The Wide And Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary Of Hattie Campbell Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136 The Great Railroad Race: the Diary of Libby West, Utah Territory, 1868 (Dear America Series)