Start by marking “Drop The Rock: Removing Character Defects - Steps Six and Seven” as Want to Read:
Drop The Rock: Removing Character Defects - Steps Six and Seven

Drop The Rock: Removing Character Defects - Steps Six and Seven

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  540 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Resentment. Fear. Self-Pity. Intolerance. Anger. This cast of character defects will undermine the best-laid plans for recovery from addiction. It's not uncommon for individuals in recovery to hang on to negative, self-defeating behaviors after they've given up their addiction. These are the "rocks" that can sink recovery - or, at the least, block further progress. With mo ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 132 pages
Published February 11th 2005 by Hazelden (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Drop The Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drop The Rock

Sober
Aug 25, 2012 Sober rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, has helped me be a better and have a better life. It is a great book to read at any length of sobriety. I read it at 5 years and then 10 and then just recently at 15 and it has helped change me.
Kckeene
Apr 03, 2014 Kckeene rated it really liked it
Step 6

I cant keep practicing my character defects and expect God to remove them! I have to develop a new set of habits and practice them. I must be willing to make the choice between my old and new habits. When it comes to will, I must be willing to put God's will in place of my will into action. I also have to be willing to accept that God will take care of me. I have to give up the fear of being comfortable in my own chaos and the unknown of not living the chaotic life. I have to get out of th
Andrea
Dec 27, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Very helpful book. An essential for those in a 12 step program!
Dorothy
Oct 06, 2012 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone in A.A. or other 12-step recovery programs
Recommended to Dorothy by: Jackie C.
Excellent book for people in recovery from addiction. Written about the 6th and 7th steps from the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, it is a wonderful source for instruction on living out these steps. I will keep my copy and reread it over and over, as a reminder and to continue to grow in my understanding about how to live "right sized" when I tend to think, falsely, that I am bigger or smaller than my problems.
Mari Perper
Aug 07, 2013 Mari Perper rated it it was amazing
Profoundly changed my approach to steps six and seven. I am grateful for the opportunity to see how crucial these previously under-appreciated steps are in my journey. Dropping the effing rock remains a necessity within my daily routine.
Angela
Aug 19, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Excellent advice written in a clear and concise manner. I recommend to anyone in recovery.
Steve
Feb 20, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get through it because I wanted to absorb as much as I could. There's a ton of gems that I wish would surface to my consciousness more frequently than only when someone "gently reminds me" of them. I may have highlighted more words in this book than the last 10 books I've read combined!

I am going to go through it again without highlighting and then doc Better job of working 6 & 7 with my sponsor. Halfway through I realized I did a "nod step" on these two and not any rea
Lindsay
Dec 15, 2015 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Read it. I had to keep a highlighter with me because on each page there's something I wanted to absorb and apply to my life. A fundamental tool not only when in recovery but overall for those who wish to improve themselves.
Shana
Sep 04, 2014 Shana rated it it was amazing
AMAZING, AMAZING AMAZING BOOK. It made me realize how important steps 6 & 7 are in the 12 steps. When your character defects are flaring, this is a MUST read. I read this with my sponsor and it really enhanced my step work.
Christina
Jul 18, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recovery
This was a great tool for me. I was struggling with Steps 6 & 7, so this book was perfect. I was able to get through those Steps and continue in my recovery.
GREG
May 17, 2015 GREG rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read

Enjoyed this will reread as a reminder of why we are here and what our purpose is on this planet
Magaly Ortiz
Oct 07, 2014 Magaly Ortiz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is amazing. I did a lot of the suggestions, a must read
Jean
May 31, 2014 Jean rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot and can't wait to share this knowledge.
Deb
Jul 25, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A book on the 6th and 7th steps of the 12. Really meaty book. I had to read it very slowly to get everything out of it. But it made me think a lot about my way of practicing these steps. A book to keep at my bedside and reread often.
Anna
Feb 17, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: recovery
This book gave me a whole new perspective on the sixth and seventh steps. I wish I'd read it two years ago when I first went through them. I recommend this book for anyone that's at this point in a twelve step program.
Bank
Jul 28, 2013 Bank rated it it was amazing
Truly an excellent book . Whether in recovery or not , every person I know could benefit from reading this book . The discussion on the seven deadly sins ( yes those ) was written with amazing clarity .
Steve
Nov 15, 2013 Steve rated it it was ok
I had a hard time with it. Kind of felt like everyone who has ever preached to me got together, once and for all, to tell me how to live my life.
Catherine
Jul 14, 2010 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone working any 12 Step
Recommended to Catherine by: My Sponsor
Awesome additional information for steps 6 & 7!
Monica Perez
This book is awesome . Love it.
Chris Denison
Patrick
Sep 04, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it
Excellent book.
Micah Silverman
Micah Silverman rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Lillian  Johansen
Lillian Johansen rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
sarah helferich
sarah helferich marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Karen reading
Karen reading is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Teresa R Sullivan
Teresa R Sullivan rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Carolyn Hartsfield
Carolyn Hartsfield rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Hbutch33
Hbutch33 rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Patrick Brian
Patrick Brian marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • Came to Believe
  • The Little Red Book (AA)
  • Living Sober
  • My Name Is Bill: Bill Wilson--His Life and the Creation of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • A New Pair of Glasses
  • Not God: A History of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • The Sermon on the Mount: The Key to Success in Life
  • Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist Path to Recovering from Addiction
  • Stop Obsessing!: How to Overcome Your Obsessions and Compulsions
  • Waiting: A Nonbeliever's Higher Power
  • The Abundance Book
  • The Zen of Recovery
  • The Gospel Of Luke (New Daily Study Bible)
  • One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the Twelve Steps
  • How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery
  • Damaged Goods: Things You Must Know About Healing From Abuse
  • Gifts of the Desert: The Forgotten Path of Christian Spirituality

“Sloth is the thief of time. The character defect of putting off actions “until things get better” is one of the most destructive detours we can make. Delays never make problems “go away;” they only make success harder to attain.” 2 likes
“Some of us come from families where we were not taught healthy emotional language and habits. We did not get a balanced perspective of the world and relationships, and some of us got a distorted view of where we stood in relation to the rest of the world. We felt (and many of us still do) less than. In order to make up for that, we learned to exaggerate and lie and blow our accomplishments way out of proportion in order to feel of some value. To succeed, we have to stop thinking we are less than other people. We tell ourselves we are not unworthy, inadequate, or unable to cope fully with life’s problems. We begin to see the glass as half full instead of half empty. We have to get rid of feelings of inability before we can make progress. As we learn more about how false pride has held us back from our full potential, we remember, “If we change our thoughts, we can change ourselves.” 1 likes