Start by marking “Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management” as Want to Read:
Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management

Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  351 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Aimed at those who have trouble completing assignments on time as well as anyone looking to lead a well-organized life, this innovative handbook takes a unique approach to time management. Efficiency expert Mark Forster shows that prioritizing tasks is never a sufficient approach to organizing a schedule, and is rarely even helpful. In the place of prioritization he posits ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published November 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management

Smilla's Sister
Jun 26, 2015 Smilla's Sister rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone in need of time management advice
This is THE book on time management, the one and only. I've been applying its very simple and straightforward principles for over 5 years now, and I'm happy as the proverbial pig. I've no idea where I would have been without it now.

It teaches you everything you need to know (which isn't very much but is super smart and nothing like the stale "time management" advice other books offer - what the guy says is seriously unique) in order to organize your workload. By the time I was done with this boo
Justus
Oct 02, 2011 Justus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Its a good book. The most simple of the productivity books I've read but it also means a very simple system. You either do stuff or you don't, so for him one's things to do list is binary and there is no need to prioritize per se. The title comes from the fact that one of the main points of the book is to push off any non-emergency activities to the next day. In so doing it frees up your day to do things that you planned the day before which gives you much more room to be realistic about how muc ...more
Elly
Apr 06, 2010 Elly rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful book on time management, a method that works for those of us that do not have a secretary and lots of people we can delegate to. It aims to get all the incoming work done within two days, except for longer running projects, and those are started within that time period. The basic idea is that the amount of new work that you get in a typical day is also the amount of work that you can handle in a typical day (or something is wrong with your workload). I learned a lot about plan ...more
Michael
Apr 29, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
At some point a few months (years??) ago I decided I wasn't productive enough and I read David Allen's Getting Things Done. Great, I thought. I'll just implement this system and I'll be on my way. Well, I never managed to keep up with it. It was just too much.

I'm actually using Forster's new system Autofocus, but this book provides related information. I've only just started using it (2 weeks), but so far it's been great. It's so simple and I am being insanely productive.
John DeCuir
Apr 06, 2009 John DeCuir rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
A phenomenal book that turns traditional time management practices on their head. Much of what Forster recommends is rooted in not only neurological understandings of the brain but also rooted in common sense. My only quibble is that Forster seems to have moved on from the method described in this book and onto the new Autofocus system described on his website. Nevertheless, there is a ton of useful information described in this book that has much to recommend it.
Mike DuVall
Oct 07, 2010 Mike DuVall rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Deceptive title. It's all about deciding what to do and not letting daily distractions stop you from doing what you've decided to do.
Al
Jul 26, 2011 Al rated it really liked it
Simple and straightforward, makes complete sense.
Ebirdie
Jan 01, 2014 Ebirdie rated it really liked it
To me the book was excellent read. There were a couple of places, which made me feel very sour feelings from the past. This was one of them.

Usually it is sufficient to say to callers, 'I'll do that for you tomorrow.' If they know from experience that you really will do it the following day, you are probably doing much better in their eyes than most of the people they call

I really really want to learn manage my time, goals and, eventually, life, that I don't have to let others down by saying I'
Michael
Jan 15, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
I love to-do lists and they keep growing! I have several commitments, business activities and social events. Sometimes, it’s hard to find “time for myself”. And as the to-do lists keep on growing, motivation can reach zero %. This book has an interesting point-of-view; procrastination is encouraged. There are lots of exercices and I encourage every reader to complete them!

My life has changed since I applied the “Do it tomorrow” system. To-do lists don’t grow anymore, It feels like I have more ti
Stephanie Callaert
Jan 15, 2014 Stephanie Callaert rated it liked it
“To complain about a shortage of time is like a fish in the sea complaining that it has a shortage of water.” This is how Mark Foster starts his book. He explains how you can work with much less stress. He will learn you what you can do to organize your work better and how to deal with interruptions.
This book is very instructive because it not only explains what time management is exactly but there are also exercises in the book. You can apply these exercises to your own life. By reading this bo
Susan
May 12, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I absolutely LOVE this book! This is my second time reading it and I will read it many more times. So many great ideas - and contrary to most productivity systems!

Will focus my efforts on creating closed Will-Do lists and focusing on the least urgent tasks first (so they never become ugent!).

Love his ideas for "tricking" your mind into getting things done, his filing system and "little and often".

I will be searching out this author's other books!
Joe
Jul 04, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing
Mark Forster's Do it Tomorrow and Other Secrets is filled with common-sense advice and real-world problems with solutions. My biggest takeaways were the concepts of reducing randomness with a buffer and of creating and completing daily closed lists.
Lenore
Jan 24, 2009 Lenore rated it it was amazing
Best, simplest system for being productive. Helped me get the better of resistance. Has now been bested by Forster's new, even simpler method, discussed here .
Fouad Alfarhan
Mar 12, 2009 Fouad Alfarhan rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely better than GTD for me. I loved it and I'm very thankful to my friend who gave it to me.
Jane Costanza
Sep 25, 2013 Jane Costanza rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Enjoyed his ideas and found the book humorous as well. Less complex and more accessible than gtd.
Steve
Oct 16, 2009 Steve marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-at-library
Recommended by Susan Johnson at GTD User Group meeting.
Rooze Just-Rooze
Jan 30, 2014 Rooze Just-Rooze rated it liked it
I'm a long time practitioner of a combination Stephen Covey's 7 Habits & David Allen's Getting Things Done so my systems are fairly good. Even so, Forster's approach to overcoming procrastination, as well as how to deal with backlogs and troubleshoot when things get out of hand again, was well worth the read. As far as the writing, some of it is redundant at the cost of concepts that could be explored more deeply.

It was a quick read and I picked up enough new insights to make it worth my wh
Benjy
May 06, 2013 Benjy rated it liked it
Some ideas were great like the current initiative and do that first thing in the day. The other bits I found repetitive and non useful in a regular working day. Many emails do need to be answered straight away, and cannot be ignored until tomorrow or even later in the day. Found the book repetitive without explaining what the benefit was in performing many of the tricks he espouses.
Stantontas
Sep 10, 2013 Stantontas rated it liked it
Reading productivity books is so much better than getting actual work done. From this one I picked up: don't take on too much, don't rush after the most recent inbox entry (unless you really have to), keep a "backlog" list and pick one "stalled" thing to be your focus, i.e. first thing you work on each morning.
Didn't bother with the exercises, but.
library_jim
Jul 27, 2009 library_jim rated it really liked it
Great methods, worth reading. He's updated his recommended method on his website (markforster.net), but the principles in the book still apply and his new method is really a variation on this one. Brilliant stuff that will help you finally break down resistance to the things you avoid or put off. Big help to me!
Jane H
Dec 07, 2011 Jane H rated it really liked it
Not entirely helpful to my stay-at-home life, but interesting principles. I definitely like the idea of having a closed list each day (ie: having a list that actually gets done rather than a running list of all I ought to get done... someday). Will be trying out some of his ideas!
Libbeth
Oct 18, 2008 Libbeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007
I found that I had already developed a lot of the suggestions as my own way of doing things, but I found the idea of a "Current Initiative" to be a better idea than my usual method of keep transferring a "to do" and never actually doing it because it seemed overwhelming.
Maria del Pilar
Jul 18, 2008 Maria del Pilar rated it liked it
Recommended to Maria del Pilar by: A friend
It was a positive surprise. A book that when I started to read it, I thought that it was to reading at other time and I learn a lot about management.
Levent Bayindir
Jul 29, 2009 Levent Bayindir rated it did not like it
Shelves: psychology
Another book of the same author on this topic is much much better. This does not have any new ideas worth to read.
Daniel
Dec 06, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
A lot of good practical insights on time management. Very simple and clear.
Danielle
Dec 23, 2008 Danielle marked it as to-read
Shelves: time-management
Recommended on simple dollar.
Abcd
Aug 09, 2010 Abcd added it
Shelves: time-management
ok
Diana
Oct 15, 2015 Diana rated it it was amazing
The best time management book I have ever read and been able to sucessfully apply!
If you have a job where you never can say, "Well I've finished my to do list and i can go home feeling good about my accomplishments for the day!" this is the book for you. Also if you struggle with procrastination this book is fantastic. No other method has come close to helping address procrastination and time management.
I have read MANY books on time management and this one is tops in my book.
Faye
Mar 14, 2016 Faye rated it it was amazing
Love Mark's books. His simple approach to getting things done is do-able and easy to implement. There are some great ideas in here for getting rid of backlogs too.
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • Upgrade Your Life: The Lifehacker Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, Better
  • Persuasion: The Art of Influencing People
  • The Mind Gym: Give Me Time (The Mind Gym)
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • The 8th Habit Personal Workbook: Strategies to Take You from Effectiveness to Greatness
  • To Do Doing Done: A Creative Approach to Managing Projects and Effectively Finishing What Matters Most
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • How to Connect in Business in 90 Seconds or Less (Audiofy Digital Audiobook Chips)
  • Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and Business of Life
  • One Year to an Organized Work Life: From Your Desk to Your Deadlines, the Week-by-Week Guide to Eliminating Office Stress for Good
  • The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping
  • Funky Business Forever: How To Enjoy Capitalism
  • Beyond Reason: Using Emotions as You Negotiate
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • The Procrastination Equation: How to Stop Putting Things Off and Start Getting Stuff Done
  • SNAP Selling: Speed Up Sales and Win More Business with Today's Frazzled Customers
  • Unclutter Your Life in One Week

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Many articles and books on creativity encourage us to 'think out of the box' and get rid of all the restrictions on our thinking. The trouble with this advice is that it is almost entirely wrong. It is very difficult to be creative when 'anything goes' and you have no limitations, because it is the limitations that actually encourage creativity.” 5 likes
“Remember the motto: ‘Work hard, play hard.’ Regard your personal time as just as important as your work time and give as much attention to planning it as you do to planning your work. What are you working for if you don’t have a personal life?” 0 likes