Start by marking “The Message (Animorphs, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Message (Animorphs, #4)

The Message (Animorphs #4)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  4,391 ratings  ·  90 reviews
It all started with the dreams. But Cassie didn't pay much attention to them. She and her friends had all been having weird dreams since they'd first learned to morph. Maybe it was just some crazy side effect.
Published October 1996 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Message, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Message

And now, still following the pattern, Cassie finds her reason for fighting (it's like loyalty missions in Mass Effect, I swear to god). This book always lodged pretty well in my memory and I really like it, because WHALES and DOLPHINS and SHARKS, and another terrifying alien morph from Visser Three, and bonus: the book introduces one of my favourite fictional characters of practically all time (Ax ).

Favourite quotes now added:
(view spoiler)
Ben Babcock
One of the highlights of re-reading this series is the intense 1990s nostalgia it’s bringing back. These books have aged so much, and it’s no one’s fault but the march of time and technology. In The Visitor, Rachel talks in code by inviting Jake over to listen to a new CD. And here in The Message, Jake produces a VCR tape of a nightly news show—kids, I won’t bother explaining what VCRs were, but let’s just say the modern equivalent would be “pulling up a clip on YouTube.”

This technological ennui
Julie Decker
Cassie and Tobias have been hearing a weird distress call coming from under the sea. It turns out that it's a stranded Andalite ship, and Cassie, in an unusual position of decision-making, has to figure out what to do. The Animorphs run a mission to investigate the submerged ship, morphed as dolphins, and though they successfully enter the ship and find an abandoned and scared teenaged Andalite, the Yeerks have found the ship too. The Animorphs and their new friend Ax face Visser Three briefly, ...more
It's the fourth story about Animorphs. It's Cassie turn to tell their story.

A nice description about sea, its creature (whale, shark, dolphin etc.), and it is very interesting to know about dolphin feeling.

K.A. Applegate description about sea's creature is great. It's not common to tell a story about sea's creature. What I mean is, we have less knowledge about dolphin and whale and its point of view.

Yes, we know that dolphin have sense, and have ability to think, and often to jump out from water
August Busch
It's funny this one was one of my favorites when I was younger. I think it was because it was set in the ocean. But wow, how time has changed. So far this was my least favorite. The plot devices were awful! Getting messages via dreams... cliche but OK. Figuring out were the ship is from a whale... Ok lets put some more effort into this.
Wait... if Ax could morph into a shark the whole time, why did he need anyone to RESCUE him????

It kind of bothers me that everyone else's motivation (so far) to fight is emotional and personal and made me cry, and Cassie's is like "GASP! save the planet!!!" I mean, I get that she loves animals, and I would obviously want to fight to save the planet from aliens intending to destroy it, too. But I wouldn't be like "oh, they're taking over people's minds, tearing apart friends and families, hurting
Alan Gilfoy
Animorphs - 3
Visser Three - 0

Well Visser Three hadn't won yet against the fierce 5, thank god.

Narrator: Cassie

Cassie is the best in morphing, the friend you wish you have, and she's so difficult to hate.

"If you're an Andalite and you're in trouble, who would you call for help? A fellow Andalite."

Fair point. So why did Cassie and Tobias hear the Andalite's message when they aren't Andalites?

Well, the morphing technology sort of binds the Animorphs and the Andalite who sent the message. The Andali
In The Message it was time for Cassie to narrate. From what we gather from the previous books, Cassie loves animals and conveniently, her parents are vets and they have a farm and wildlife rehabilitation clinic which greatly assist the Animorphs in obtaining DNA for their morphs.

The books starts when Cassie and Tobias have both been dreaming of the sea and they feel someone out there is asking for help; they think it may possibly be an Andalite. The Animorphs decide to scoop out the sea with do
This was actually the first Animorphs book I ever read, purchased for me almost a decade ago by a clueless Mom who knew I liked books and dolphins. Thanks, mom.

Cassie was always my favorite character, because I was so jealous of her cool homelife. Plus, Ax is introduced in this book, and who doesn't like an alien... Lll... LEE UN. ALEEYUN.
Jackie Krasuski
I do not know how I ever would have survived junior high without this fantastic science fiction series. Maybe the story quality went down as the book numbers got higher, but the idea that aliens were invading our planet secretly... it was almost good enough for a young teenager to believe.
To the older fans re-reading the series, I have compiled the reprint edit list here:
Dean Deters

summary- In Animorphs 4 it is about four kids Marco, Casie, Jake and Rachel. And they can tern into animals. Like when they turned into a dolphin. Then Marco got heart then he had to tern into a dolphin.

Setting- The most important place in this story is when they went to the barn. t is important to this story because that is where they morph into the animals that they touch.

Character trait- Cassie she likes animals alot and she loves morphing into a horse . like when they where going to th
I have a soft spot for Cassie in my love of the Animorphs (probably fueled by my desire to be a vet myself when I was a kid), but this was my least favorite of the five introductory narratives of the team. It felt a little like Star Trek IV to me, when "stop killing the planet" becomes so overwhelming that it crushes the story. I really did like the whales, but didn't understand the hesitance with the dolphins--Marco's gorilla seems to be no problem to Cassie. And, while I seriously don't like s ...more
Cassie's turn to narrate, and to find her reason to fight the Yeerks. But more than that, both her and Tobias are receiving a message in their dreams, a call for help. And it's up to Cassie to decide if that call is real, and if it is worth risking all the Animorphs' lives to find out who or what is calling for help.

It's only now that I get the joke about the dolphins names' at The Gardens... they're named after the characters of "Friends".

Some more fun/favorite quotes from this book:

"I was busy
This was the first Animorphs book I ever read, so it holds a special place in my heart. I remember buying this book in elementary school at one of those Scholastic Book Fairs because it had a dolphin on the cover, but then discovering that this was an awesome series on its own.

This was the only book in the series I ever owned (though I have no idea what happened to it), so I read it more than the others. Because of that, I remembered pretty much everything that was going to happen. That didn't l
The first Cassie book! Cassie was something of an acquired taste for me as a kid, and according to what I've heard in the Animorphs fan community, some readers never acquired that taste. While Marco is the most reluctant Animorph for personal reasons, Cassie's misgivings about the fight have more to do with the moral justification for their war. In this book, she finds her reason to fight.
Brief plot rundown: In the form of vivid dreams, Cassie receives a cry for help coming from the ocean. Not
Janelle Dazzlepants
Still not liking the new re-release covers. Also, I miss having the little morph in the bottom corner that you could animate by flipping.

This volume has the first example I've noticed of the re-release "updating" technology.
(view spoiler)
Read this and more at Romancing the Laser Pistol.

Continuing on this journey, I've reached the first of many Cassie POVs. From what I remember, she was always a bit over the top in-tune with nature, a bit tree-huggy. Her first book is really no different. Based on dreams she has of the see and psychic conversations she has with whales, the team decides to take a deep sea diving expedition in order to see if something happens to be down there.

A little far fetched, and considering their first attem
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
Warning: This is a review of the fourth book in the series. Therefore, it might contain spoilers from the first 3 books.

This might be my favourite Animorphs book so far. It's narrated by Cassie, who's my favourite character. She's the one character who I don't find has any annoying characteristics, so her narration seems more neutral to me; I wasn't made constantly aware of the narrator the way I was with some of the others. The Message also has a nice plot arc that I felt was somewhat lacking i
The Animorphs respond to telepathic distress calls from an alien under the sea. As if their lives aren't already weird enough. . . .

Notable moments and inconsistencies:

Cassie points out that there are poisoned wolves being rescued in her barn. These same wolves figured into the plot in the previous book, but only one was mentioned as having been poisoned and the other had been shot.

Rachel's bulletin board used to have cute little inspirational quotes on it. Now the wise sayings include battle ad
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
Technically 4.5?

Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

Cassie’s our gentle, empathetic narrator in Book #4: The Message. She’s been having weird dreams, like someone familiar is calling to her from the ocean. Tobias has been having the dreams as well. The Animorphs decide it’s a lost Andalite and go off to rescue him in dolphin morphs.

Cassie was my favourite Animorph as kid. I loved her. I loved her moral wallowing and her desperate need not to be responsible. But now I find it a bit annoying.
Animorphs does "Save the Whales." Sort of. Sharks and whales and dolphins, oh my. Dolphins named after FRIENDS characters. Why? The world may never know.

Enter Ax. The first major turning point of the series. A real live Andalite to help the kids out. Except for the fact that all he wants is to go home, and he's just a kid, like them. And he won't even tell them anything useful. Actually, he's kind of not really a turning point at all, more like someone to liven things up a bit. (I always did hat
The fourth book sees the introduction of a new character. This is largely a plotty book, rather than character development, this time, though Cassie does struggle with a couple of ethical questions. They don't seem quite convincing to me -- but it makes sense that she does ask questions, so it didn't bother me too much. It was nice to read a book in which the morphing is mostly fun and playful, and in which all of earth seems to join in on the side against the Yeerks. It's a little too touchy-fe ...more
Cassie's first book, and her first experience taking a leadership role...ever, apparently. I want to like Cassie, but she's not grown up enough yet. She's scared--understandably so--but the hemming and hawing got irritating to me a little. I can't blame her, not even a little, because I'm pretty sure that if it were up to me to make life and death decisions that affected my best friends and the guy I had a crush on, I'd be just as nervous as her, and probably a much bigger mess to boot.

That sai
Cassie is the one who's least examined by the other POVs, so it was good to get hers here. Her fear of responsibility (or, rather, being responsible if the others are hurt by something she suggests) underlies most of the book, and meta-wise it's an interesting change compared with Rachel's gung-ho attitude and Tobias' Do The Right Thing approach. There's an interesting ethical dilemma that gets brought up here, too.
I used to love this series growing up. And while I do not love them as much now that I'm re-reading them--mostly due to the reading level/writing style--I am still finding them enjoyable. This one was one of my favorites growing up and it may be my favorite in the series so far as I'm re-reading them.

Cassie is my favorite female character of the group. She's a good person who really cares about both people and animals. Her little crush with Jake is also too cute. I like dolphins pretty well, so
Animorphs Readalo...: The Message 2 12 Jan 03, 2015 11:23AM
  • Pursuing Amy (Replica, #2)
  • Mouse (Five Ancestors, #6)
  • Book of Names (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #1)
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 7
  • It Came from Beneath the Sink! (Goosebumps, #30)
  • Aliens Ate My Homework (Alien Adventures, #1)
  • Dragon Castle
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p ...more
More about Katherine Applegate...

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)
  • The Forgotten (Animorphs, #11)
The One and Only Ivan The Invasion (Animorphs, #1) Beach Blondes: June Dreams, July's Promise, August Magic (Summer, #1-3) The Visitor (Animorphs, #2) The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)

“ Tobias asked.
"Weird? Weird?" Marco crowed. "The talking bird wants to know if getting information on
the location of an alien from a whale, that you've just saved from sharks, by turning into
dolphins . . . You're suggesting that's weird?”