All's Fair

All's Fair

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  47 reviews

Political campaign expert Kristen Shepherd excels at staying cool under pressure, but this time she's in over her head. After leaving her high-profile fianc

Published July 28th 2008 by Covenant Communications (first published 2008)

Aubrey
Enjoyed this exciting, suspense-filled romance. I liked the way the author went back and forth between the two stories, and I appreciated the strong female characters.
Heather
Nov 19, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Adults, teenagers
Shelves: lds-fiction, suspense
Bellon’s writing shines in All’s Fair, her latest political suspense novel. When campaign expert Kristen Shepherd discovers her fiancé is transferring her personal funds to a terrorist organization in Iraq, her world falls apart, literally.

Kristen’s brother, Brandon, is a doctor serving in Iraq and coincidentally he is captured as a prisoner of war the same time Kristen uncovers her fiancé’s fraud. To Kristen’s horror she discovers an underground operation that she never thought she’d be a part...more
Shanda
I haven't read one of Julie's books in a long while & was glad to finally get to All's Fair. I liked the story(ies) as well as both heroes & heroines. I appreciated that there wasn't a lot of back story given for the couple with a history & that Julie trusted her readers to be intelligent enough to figure out what happened through dialogue between the two characters. I was torn because I felt like there was room for a bit more adventure or in-depth story yet I also liked that it didn...more
Teri
Jul 23, 2008 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Teri by: Julie herself
In JulieB's new offering, she sets the suspense tone quite well. I learned more about the inner workings of a political campaign than I knew before. This story takes place in Iraq, where Brandon Shepherd and Rachel Fielding, doctors in the US Army, are kidnapped and Brandon's best friend Ryan Jameson, Brandon's sister Kristen and their military father, spearhead a rescue operation. By reading this gripping novel, we learn just how much we should value our freedoms and the Iraqui's freedom. With...more
Lacey
I was really interested at first in the book, it started out really well. But for me, it went down hill. Maybe it's because I felt like some things weren't explained as well as I'd hoped they would be. I don't know why, but I felt like I was forcing myself to finish this book, and I was thrilled once I was finally done.
Diana (Bever) Barber
Having friends and relatives who've served in Iraq and Afghanistan, I found the military portions of this novel to be impressively accurate. However, I was NOT impressed with the romantic story line of the protagonist, Kristen. Yes, I would have reacted similarly to her fiance's deception. No, I would not have run so quickly back into the arms of a guy who had treated me like dirt so many years before, who gave up so easily on a wife with a terrible addiction, and who has such dissimilar politic...more
Sheila
Casey
This book was ok. I don't really have too much to nit-pick about this book. I think the only thing that turned me off a little bit was the relationships. They just didn't seem to have much depth to them. The story didn't really captivate me either. It didn't transport me into the characters lives. I didn't become the character, I just stayed Casey. I know that sounds totally weird, but you know it's a good book when it captivates you so much that you forget for a moment that you're really at hom...more
Amy
Genre: LDS Suspense/Romance
Kristen Shepherd, a political campaign expert, is about to be married when she finds out her fiance has been stealing money from her to fund a known terrorist group. She leaves him at the altar and begins working as a campaign manager for a hopeful senator. Her former boyfriend is working for their opponent. It is then that she finds out her brother Brandon, an army doctor, has been taken hostage in Iraq by the same terrorist group that her former fiance is funding. Kr...more
I love a great suspense novel and this one was almost great. My only complaint would be it was too short and I felt like there could have been more. But I love the two separate story lines ... They kept you reading on wondering what will happen next.
Darla
(Genre: LDS Fiction/suspense/romance) This book has two storylines going on at the same time. The first one involves Kristen Shepherd who gets some disturbing news on the morning of her wedding and ends up leaving her fiance at the alter. The second storyline involves her brother Brandon (and the only LDS character in the book), an army doctor serving in Iraq, who is captured and held as a prisoner of war along with another American doctor named Rachel. Both storylines are interesting and entert...more
Brenda
Well thought out story in an easy read format. Read start to finish in a single setting. Great characters that were easy to like and an interesting insight into politics and the war. It was my first LDS fiction book so I wasn't sure what to expect. I really enjoyed reading it and didn't want it to end! It was thrilling and suspenseful and romance was the perfect amount. The EDITING was not good - there were countless errors that drove me a little crazy and should easily have been resolved by a g...more
Kristen
Leaving her fiance at the altar, Kristen Shepard walks out of her own wedding in to the waiting arms of a long lost love, but before a romance can begin she is pulled into an international terrorist plot that involves her brother, Army surgeon Brandon Shepard who has been taken hostage by insurgents in Iraq. Can Kristen foil the terrorists, save her brother, and find that love she has always been looking for? A kind of prequel to Dangerous Connections.
Kathryn
trust is a great thing. WHen kristen finds out that her fiance can't be trusted she leaves him at the alter. He had been funding a terrorist organization from saudia Arabia for his ex wife. This organization has also captured her brother who is serving as a dr over in iraq. She hooks up with an old friend and learns to see her father in a different light as they do everything in their power to get her brother back.
Shannon
The book started out well with Kristen running off from her wedding day and getting stuck in the rain. The humor at the beginning was good, but then it just went to the stock "love the moment you see each other" again story. I thought the author tried to do a good job of portraying Iraq, but this was really two short stories blended together. It was OK for a few hours of relaxation.
Ashley
This was an interesting book and I enjoyed the characters. It was really short so I don't feel like the author could go into enough detail about each situation. I felt like she should have made the book longer to get more into the story. I enjoyed the characters, though I liked all the other characters better than the main character. I wish I had enjoyed Kristen a little better.
Tarah
This book was just okay. It had a lot of potential, even going back and forth between the siblings, but there was no depth. The relationships happened way too fast with not enough development or background. That being said, it's a quick easy read when you have some time on your hands and need some mind candy.
Leslie
The main girl in the book was a political campaign expert, who left her fiance at the alter when she uncovered the truth about him. She runs into her political opponent and former boyfiend who helps her out of that mess. Her brother is taken prisoner of war in Iraqi. It is all connected to a plot of the terrorists.
Swhe641200
Good Book. About Kristi Shepherd a Political Expert and her brother Branson Sheherd a doctor in Ql-Quata. He is kidnapped along with another doctor Rachel. Krisi was going to marry Michael until he tried to tranfer her money to Saudi Arabia to help Terrorist. Good Book. Good Author.
Susan
Really good story concept but shallowly developed. Brandon, Dr in Iraq, is kidnapped to heal a wounded terrorist leader. Meanwhile, back in the states, his sister is informed, just before her wedding, that her fiance is trying to move all her savings into a bank in Saudi Arabia.
I heard this was a great book. It is gripping from the begining! Couldn't put it down. It has a great story line. There was a little too much war in it for me, but I know it needed that to complete the whole story. I'm very interested in reading more books by this author.
Jenny
This book is short (less than 200 pages) and is a fast, easy read. In that time you get to enjoy two cute romances developing. It is an interesting plot and with it being so short, the story moves along quickly.
Katie
I really liked this book. It was total fiction but it talked about the war in Iraq and politics that I found interesting and priceless. Also it had very good messages about love, family, loyalty, trust and togetherness.
Judie
At first I was worried that it would be too grim or gush over into a sequel. Happily, that didn't happen. It was a good story with a couple of nice little romances, and a definite ending.
Barbara Talbot
What a fast paced page turner. Both main characters were well developed and easy to connect making the story one to highly recommend to my high school readers.
Vickie
This was o.k. but certainly a little predictable and parts were quite unbelievable. But a friend gave it to me on someone else's advice so I felt I needed to read it.
Rachel
This book was just okay. The story line was allright but the writing could use quite a bit of improvement for me to read another book by this same author.
K.C.
This has ended up being one of my favorite 'Bellon' Book because I felt like the topics were so current and the action so methodical and intense. Great!
Melody
First book read in '09. :) Got this one for Christmas, just the kind of book I like, though I don't believe for a minute all is fair in love...
Patricia
This book was okay. I was not drawn to Kristen for most of the book. I did like the story and how things came together.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Julie is the author of nine suspense novels, including All Fall Down, winner of the RONE award for Best Suspense/Thriller. She also has one non-fiction title: Be Prepared: A Parent's Guide to the Duty to God and Eagle Scout Awards---What You Should Know and is part of two compilations, How Will Christmas Find Us and Life Lessons From Mothers of Faith.

She is the mother of eight children and when s...more
More about Julie Coulter Bellon...
Dangerous Connections All Fall Down (Hostage Negotiation Team #1) Through Love's Trials On the Edge Ashes Ashes (Hostage Negotiation Team #2)