Start by marking “Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)” as Want to Read:
Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)

Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge #8)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  544 ratings  ·  44 reviews

In this eighth book in the Henry and Mudge series, Henry and his dog Mudge take in a stray cat. It's not a pretty cat, but it is a happy cat and it loves Mudge!
Published June 1st 1996 by Simon Spotlight (first published April 30th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat

midnightfaerie
Another great Henry and Mudge book that my 5 yr old loved. Most of these that we find at the library are level 2 reader books and right now, that's perfect for my son. He's between a level 2 and 3 and often gets either, but he absolutely loves Henry and Mudge and can relate to many of his adventures. Not for preschoolers, but great beginner reader books for the young reader.
Joseph Berube
This is another book that I read to my sons Aidan (7), Quintin (4), and Declan (1) while I was deployed to Afghanistan. I had the feeling it was part of a series, but it did well on its own and I had no problems with not knowing what had happened in books 1-7. Easy read. I think my son Aidan, who just started the second grade, will have no problems reading this book. I also liked that there were no bad examples for the boys to follow, as I have unfortunately found in other children books. Fun bo ...more
Chantelle
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series and were excited to find out what would happen as we started each one. Because my son was between 5-6 years old (he's an advanced reader) at the time, he easily identified with Henry and loved Mudge because (1) he desperately wanted a dog, and (2) Mudge's goofiness was endearing AND hilarious.

Read Aloud: Pre-K and Kindergarten
Introduces plot, character development, foreshadowing, and use of imagery.

Independent Reading: First or Seco
Courtney Dyer
In the eighth book of their adventures, Henry and his 180 pound dog Mudge find a stray, shabby cat. They care for the cat and become very attached while they wait to find it a home. One day, a policeman shows up looking for his lost cat after seeing the posters Henry put up. Henry and Mudge have a hard time saying good-bye but after a nap, some crackers, and lots of extra hugs, they learn to cope with the difficulties of friendship after receiving a special surprise.

This book is another great ad
Kayla Heenan
Personal Reaction: I had a lot of these books growing up. I really love how these books offer more words per page and how this particular book offers three short chapters. I could see it making the reader feel as if they are advanced because of the use of chapters.
Use/Purpose in classroom: I would read this book aloud just during story time or a reading unit. This is a great book for students to sit back and enjoy. I feel like they will really enjoy it because it deals with the relationship bet
Dolly
Jul 10, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, pets
Mackenzie Sipes
Personal Reaction: I think this book was super cute. They have a simple plot line that I think all children can find enjoyable. I just love the character Mudge, I think he makes the whole story. It is part of a series but you can understand it reading just one of the stories.

Independent: I think this book would be good for transitional readers. It has very short chapters and very little words to the page. It still includes illustrations which will keep a reader engaged. They will also feel very
Angela Hutchinson
Henry, Henry’s father, and Mudge hear are watching TV when Mudge hears something at the door. When they opened the door, there sat a matted cat. They bring the cat in a care for it and Henry asks if they could keep it. Dad told him only till they found the cat’s home. They hung up posters all over town to alert people that a cat had been found. People came over one after another, but none of them were the owner of the cat. Finally, a police officer came over to look at the cat and it was his. He ...more
Azu
I read this book to study English.
It is easy and short story for children.
I have enjoyed the story of this book very much.
I'm going to read the other books in this series.
I recommend the Henry and Mudge series for English beginners!!

英語学習(多読)のためにこの本を読みました。
子供向けで短いお話ですが、とても面白かったです。
これから、このシリーズの本を一通り読んでいきたいと思います。
英語もとても簡単なので、初級から始めたい方にはおすすめです!

Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat is the 8th book in the Henry and Mudge series. Henry and Mudge find a stray cat. The cat bonds with Mudge and Henry. The cat is able to teach both of them good manners. The Henry and Mudge series is an excellent series for late first grade and early second.
Megan
I love these books! Natalie and I love the happy cat Dave that visits Henry and Mudge for a bit. Perfect 4-year-old humor.
Emily Bernd
The Henry and Mudge series is a fun series for beginning readers looking for a slight challenge. My first graders love them!
Alysha DeShaé
I enjoy Henry and Mudge books, but this one was great because it involved an awesome cat! :-)
Yasuko Takatsuki
2013.4.17 902words
Ann
小的也对这个系列不感兴趣。
Marcus K
If you have 4 year old to read to, you should pick this series up. They're long enough to interest an older kid, they're good for starting readers, and they're pretty damn funny, even for grown ups. (And they have chapters, which I think is a crucial first step on the road towards the young adult shelf.)
Edward Creter
What a happy book! A cat colored with the color of prunes winds up in Henry's family including the big dog Mudge who really takes in the kitty as a true friend. Usually literature is all cats vs. dogs but this book is a true treat for kids and grown-ups. Who says prunes (or pets) ain't good for the soul?
Kayce
This book is from one of my all-time favorite series, it is also timelessly popular in the 2nd grade. I can remember reading it and now get to enjoy sharing it with my 2nd graders. The students enjoy the quick reading chapters and the theme of animals and familiar words.
Sam Levine
I thought that this book was good. It was funny when the cat washed Mudge's feet. It was polite for the cat to send Mudge thirty bones. This story would have been better if there were five pets in the story. It would have been funnier to read about four cats washing Mudges feet.
Alaina Sloo
One of my favorites of this Cynthia Rylant early reader series, much enjoyed by kids kindergarten through 2d grade. Sweet, gentle stories about the relationship between a boy and his very big dog. Many kids love them, but boys seem to gravitate toward them most.
Deborah Harris
Dec 27, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a20, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 6119 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.7 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Merrylinn
Henry and Mudge do it again. They entertain, teach, and provide great reading material for kids. My students find this book funny, and they love the manners that the cat teaches Mudge. The is a great story of friendship.
Nora
MCL. I liked that the cat adopted Mudge and taught Mudge good manners. I liked the part when the cat sent Mudge dog bones and a police badge and because the cat taught Mudge good manners he shared the police badge with Henry.
Kjartan A.
This was the first book I read about Henry and his dog Mudge. The book had a nice story, and I would definitely use this in my classroom. Maybe the oldest would find it boring, so I think I would use it for 3-5 years old.
Grant
Tammy  King Carlton
This is Rebekah's favorite series right now. She devours them. This was the first one we read, and now she keeps asking if she can have a cat when she and our black lab are both older.
Jessica
A very cute story about a stray cat. Good for early readers, and it has chapters which can be great for transitioning. Could be used to teach prediciting in independent reading.
teresa
I think I love the Henry and Mudge books as much as all my kids have.

I like that the main character, Henry, isn't the usual kid book kid--precocious and irritating.

Jake
How can you NOT love a book about finding and taking in a cat who is scraggly and looks like . . . well . . . mashed prunes? CUTE story.
Hally Levine
This is a good story because it is about a cat and a dog being friends. The cat teaches Mudge good manners. Mudges shares his toys.
  • The Horse in Harry's Room
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Missing Cookie (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • Amelia Bedelia Under Construction
  • The Bike Lesson
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Fancy Nancy: Spectacular Spectacles
  • Froggy Bakes a Cake
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Baby
  • Mercy Watson: Princess in Disguise (Mercy Watson #4)
  • Dodsworth in Rome
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • When Will It Be Spring?
  • The Vampire Bunny (Bunnicula and Friends, #1)
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Father Bear Comes Home
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Henry and Mudge (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book
  • Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble (Henry and Mudge, #2)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Sparkle Days (Henry and Mudge, #5)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge - The First Book Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years