Start by marking “Paul Of Dune (Heroes of Dune, #1)” as Want to Read:
Paul Of Dune (Heroes of Dune, #1)

Paul Of Dune (Heroes of Dune #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  4,337 ratings  ·  202 reviews
“Scott Brick delivers a powerful and entertaining reading reminiscent of a theatrical performance in a brilliant one-man show. Brick’s voice is ideally suited to this extraordinary tale; no doubt he studied the prose of each novel to capture the dialect perfectly. This is a superb, solid reading that will appeal to fans and newcomers alike.” - Publishers Weekly, Starred Re ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 16th 2008 by Macmillan Audio (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Paul Of Dune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul Of Dune

Delicious Strawberry
Sigh. Where do we start? The cardboard characters? The plot inconsistencies? The contradictions with Frank Herbert's books?

Again, another unnecessary addition to the Dune series. If Brian and Kevin had put all their effort into writing Dune 7 than piddling around with two prequel trilogies, then we MIGHT have a worthy read.

But no. They just couldn't stop at Dune 7 and move on to go back to writing their own original series. No. Dune is their cash cow, and they're going to milk it, by gum!

Here, w
Erik
My slight obsession with all things Dune began back when I was thirteen when a good buddy of mine recommended to me Frank Herbert’s first Dune novel – which I promptly borrowed from my dad, who had a first printing copy – and the David Lynch cinematic adaptation which coincidentally came out mere months later. From there, I was enraptured with this future historical epic – much as I once was with Narnia and Middle-Earth.

What I loved most about Herbert’s original six-volume Dune series was how h
Elizabeth
So far this is one of the most painful books ever written by Brian Herbert (Frank's son) and Mr. Anderson. I read them only because I know they are working from Frank Herbert's notes, and they do fill in useful information. But frankly, I think if they just published his notes, it would be a lot better reading. Their characterization is nearly non-existent and the dialogue is quite poor.

Final comment: Well, I finished it. God it was torture. I couldn't recommend it to anyone, even a diehard fan-
Claudia
Utterly, totally, completely disappointed! :(

I very much liked Dune Chronicles #7 & #8; as for the Legends of Dune & Prelude to Dune series, I found them to be awesome. But this one...

The characters are totally different: the way Paul Atreides and the Fremens are depicted looks like the Harkonnens! No, I'm wrong. The Harkonnens were strong characters, despicable, they could make you go through the whole range of bad feelings about them. Here, Paul and Fremens are a bunch of idiots, brai
Prester
May 12, 2009 Prester rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves: kja
When I first read "Dune" in 1983 I was amazed at how Frank Herbert was able to create an entire universe filled with new planets, alien races, politics and of course, religious fanaticism.

I was deeply saddened by the death of one of the greatest Science Fiction writers of all time.

Then to my delight, the team of Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson catapulted the Sci-Fi fan base back into the world of "Dune" with some of the best written and imagined stories from the early days of the Dune legacy
Yael
Like millions of other people, I loved Frank Herbert's Dune and the five sequels to it that Herbert produced. In general, I've had mixed feelings about the prequels and sequels to Frank Herbert's series of Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. It's not that they aren't good -- it's that many of them aren't very . . . Dune, dammit. The difference is something like that between the earliest versions of great movies, e.g., The Poseidon Adventure, and later versions, e.g.,Poseidon -- the originals grab ...more
Eric Lin
I mean, I didn't finish it, but I'm finished, you know what I mean? Or to quote Bean, from Shadow of the Hegemon: "You don't have to eat the whole turd to know it's not crab cake."

Super bad dialogue and poor writing really makes you feel like these aren't the characters we remembered from Dune. Don't we read sequels to get more of what we want? I don't want to read about this imposter Paul, who takes everything too seriously, and alienates everyone he talks to. I know it's supposed to be the sto
Dan
Hopefully the last of Dune. I have read them all. None were as good as "Dune". But then you can't beat the best.
Paige Knorr
I don't know how many of the Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson books I will end up reading. I love the universe, am captivated by Dune and the mythology of Maud'dib, but... as so many others have noted, this just doesn't have the same something as the original(s).

I enjoyed the subplot of the Fenrings' daughter. That part was well done, and raised some interesting questions about human cloning and biological engineering. The rest of the book, though, fell flat for me. While superficially interesting,
Mark Henwick
Frank Herbert is spinning in his grave. I have read programming manuals that have engaged me more.
The *idea* is good, the writing is limp, and I just gave up.
Avihu
One of the worse books ever written. It really pains me to see that it was allowed to be released. It really shames the Dune series name.
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
Paul of Dune alternates between telling events of Paul-Muad'Dib's jihad 1 year and 4 year after the events of "Dune" and before "Dune Messiah" and background of Paul and what affected the Atreides clan as a 12 year old boy.

The good of this book is simply that the Dune story at this period is so great that any new background and insight is a joy for fans. The bad of this book is that while it attempts to fill-in between Frank's original novels it becomes just that that - boring historical backgro
Bea
The major thing that struck me about the novel was that Irulan seemed different from the Irulan portrayed in the original series.

In the original series, I thought Irulan came across as being a bit incompetent, to be honest. Always scheming and plotting but never actually getting anything done. I didn't really find her likable, though I didn't dislike her either.

In Paul of Dune, she actually seems more accepting of her fate. She doesn't try to get Paul into her bed and she's embraced her role as
Krbo
Boring.

Paul is too complex character for Brian's writeing skills so result is not attractive.

I had to push myself to finish it.

It should never existed.
--------------------------------------

Pročitano i jedva mala dvojčica, više -2.

Knjiga je kronološki smještena između Dune i Dune Messiah te pokušava objasniti nešto Paulovog Jihada, a druga polovica knjige nas vodi u Paulovu mladost s ćaćom Letom te razmiricama s Kućom Moritani (+ prikriveni Harkonneni) s jedne te Ecazima, Verniusima i Atreidisima
Lauren Magoon

This was a good "Gee, I wonder what happened between...." type of book. I honestly liked it, but it wasn't the best new Dune book that I've read.

In the original Dune novels, or in the TV mini-series, for that matter, there's a considerable gap in time between books. One story ends with Paul defeating the Emperor of the Known Universe, and the next story starts with him firmly entrenched as a god/dictator with this whole religion that's grown up around him. However, we really don't know how all

Edward
Sep 20, 2009 Edward rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Background:
When I read Dune in the late ‘60s I was fascinated by the depiction of this future(?) society with it’s wonderful technologies mixed with it’s medieval intrigues. The Harkonnens were evil, the Corrinos were corrupt, and I rooted for the noble Atreides. The Bene Gesserits, the Spacing Guild, the Mentats, the Suk doctors, and the other groups provided a sturdy framework for the story.

Some of the echoes of our world were interesting, like The Orange Catholic Bible, and some were odd, li
Guillermo

Not nearly as bad as I thought this book would be based on reviews I had read before. I know this is going to sound blasphemous to some, but although Frank Herbert is a far superior writer, I wish there was a little more of his son Brian and Kevin Anderson in his books. Frank can be a little long winded and confusing at times. Conversely, I wish there was a lot more Frank in these new "McDune" books- there is nothing profound in this book.

But that's ok. It is what it is, and I enjoyed it as jus
Myra
I really liked this book. I was especially impressed by Irulan and very pleased that Herbert and Anderson expanded on the character. I developed a real sympathy for her because despite the fact that she is a wife in name only, she loves her husband in her own way and is content to serve as the observer and chronicler of his life and times. The thing that I didn't like, however, was how Chani was pictured in the book. We know that Paul was utterly devoted to her, but in this part of the story the ...more
Kara Herron
Unless you absolutely need a new Dune book to read, don't bother.
Adds parts of story lines that are fully established and adds things to them or changes them.
I'm becoming totally disenchanted by all the new Dune books, and if it wasn't for the fact that I had already paid for the next one coming out in a few days, I doubt if I would have put out the money for it.
They are writing these just for the money because they know that people like myself will buy books written in the "Duniverse"
Brian Herb
Dan
Jul 06, 2015 Dan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: own-it
The first half if this book is extremely dull and boring. It took me a long time to push my way through. I just did not care about what happened. The second half was a little more interesting. I liked the parts with the Caladan natives and with Thallo. They were new characters that didn't try to fit in with the existing plots and characters of Dune.

Irulan is a prominent character in this book. The problem is she is completely different from the Irulan that is in Dune Messiah. Her alliances are
Ann Thomas
This was publicised as filling the gap between original Dune novels, but only covers one year after he became Emperor and flashback to one year when he was twelve. I will not buy any more, as at this rate it will take too many books to cover it all. Herbert and Anderson are wringing every inch out of Frank Herbert's notes. The book is good, but too detailed.
Dark-Draco
All I should say is that I was severely disappointed by this book. But I won’t! I’ll try to explain…I loved Dune and enjoyed the Prelude trilogies, but I honestly don’t understand why this book was needed. It falls between the events in Dune and Dune Messiah, supposedly describing how Paul became a hated figure across the Imperium…well, it doesn’t – not really.

The main reason is because the characters can’t develop. There is only so much that can happen without contradicting the books already w
Skippy Mclizard
I don't believe this book is that bad. No it's not Frank, but really, how much literature IS? That's a tough act to follow. I've been a pretty hard core dune fan for almost 30 years, and I enjoy reading the duo's attempts at filling in these really tough gaps. They show Paul essentially becoming more and more 'Muad'dib' and less of the human his Father was, they even go out of their way to show you that by putting Paul through similar trials as Leto, with Paul making dramatically different (and ...more
Randy Patton
It's been a while since I've visited the world of Dune. Brian & Kevin's stories about this world tend to get a lot bad reviews for their lack of continuity. I do admit that compared to Frank Herbert's original classics, they do pale in comparison. However, I do not dislike them. Actually, I still love them almost as much as Frank Herbert's original Dune series. They are not perfect, but they provide a fun alternative viewpoint of this universe.

Paul of Dune was no exception. It showed two di
Joey
This is more like "fan fiction" than a proper addition to the Dune cannon. It's as if the authors merely skimmed the original material for names and places, but never actually read the books. The characters are hollow wheels f the originals and at times even contradict things from the original books.

I went straight from re-reading Dune into this book and was bitterly disappointed. The styles was so different, the characters were si different, everything was so different I had to force myself to
Brian
The fact that I bought this, even from the discount rack, while knowing what I know about the "prequel" novels means that I, too, am guilty of shitting on Frank Herbert's grave. May Muad'dib forgive me. At least I didn't finish it.
Steef
I'm having very mixed feelings about this book. Let me first state that it's interesting to learn more about Paul Muad'Dib and the time between the first and the second original Dune novel, but there are just so many things wrong here.

Would Paul really fight as an anonymous grunt in his own jihad, after he has already been the emperor of the universe for four years? This just does not feel right, like Alia playing hide-and-seek with Maria.

Would Irulan really weep over his supposed death at the
Matt
Not the same as original Dune. Book on CD. Liked seeing more of Count Fenring and Duncan Idaho...but that's about it.
Melissa
I'm a sucker for all things Dune--even if the new books are not as excellent as those by Frank.
Phillip Lozano
Only if the taste of puke on shit seems appetizing to you.
What a croc 11 83 Sep 24, 2013 03:17PM
  • The Road to Dune (Dune Universe)
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • The Ashes of Worlds (The Saga of Seven Suns, #7)
  • The Science of Dune
  • The Battles of Dune
  • Firstborn (A Time Odyssey, #3)
Brian Herbert, the son of famed science fiction author Frank Herbert, is the author of multiple New York Times bestsellers. He has won several literary honors and has been nominated for the highest awards in science fiction. In 2003, he published Dreamer of Dune, a moving biography of his father that was a Hugo Award finalist. His other acclaimed novels include Sidney's Comet, Sudanna Sudanna, The ...more
More about Brian Herbert...

Heroes of Dune (2 books)
  • The Winds of Dune (Heroes of Dune, #2)
House Atreides (Prelude to Dune, #1) The Butlerian Jihad (Legends of Dune, #1) House Harkonnen (Prelude to Dune, #2) House Corrino (Prelude to Dune, #3) The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune, #2)