Start by marking “Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses” as Want to Read:
Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses

Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses (Hardcover Read-alouds)

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  393 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
From the vast and colorful imagination of Mary Engelbreit springs a Mother Goose world bursting with warmth and humor. All the favorite time-honored characters are here -- Little Bo-Peep, Humpty Dumpty, Old King Cole, Jack and Jill, and many, many more, along with such treats as a mouse running up the clock, piggies going to market, and children dancing round the mulberry ...more
Published September 20th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose

Alexandra
6/26/15 Kindle Daily Deal $1.99. Love Mary Engelbreit's art.
Traci
Jul 15, 2014 Traci rated it really liked it
We were gifted this at my baby shower for my first son. We scored a lot of great reads since the shower was attended by the early elementary education crowd. This one happened to be gifted from my Kindergarten parapro and she lamented that nursery rhymes are no longer taught to young children. I'm not sure if this is really the case, but recently, we've decided to read a few of these a night at my son.

{Yes, at my son, not to my son. Much to my dismay, he rarely sits and reads with us (when he do
Kylie Narehood
Genre: Concept book, Nursery Rhymes
Theme(s): Animals, Families, Songs, Objects
Opening line/sentence:
Old Mother Goose,
When she wanted to wander,
Would ride through air
On a very fine gander.8
Brief Book Summary: This book introduces students to the traditional nursery rhymes that they will hear as children, exposing them to it at a young age. It also associates it with pictures so the studen
Allison Pearse
Jun 10, 2016 Allison Pearse rated it really liked it
The nursery rhyme genre evokes feelings of timeless playfulness and cozy bedtime. Combining this genre with Mary Engelbreit's delightful illustrations is simply beautiful. I've perused through plenty of collections of nursery rhymes that pay little mind to the importance of illustration, so coupling traditional nursery rhymes with descriptive and colorful illustrations opens up the sometimes confusing rhymes to a younger audience.

Many of the pages do not have a frame, inviting the reader to be a
Khaoi Mady
Feb 28, 2015 Khaoi Mady rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a great book. It had all the nursery rhymes that I remembered as a kid like, Little Miss Muffet, Humpty Dumpty, and Jack and Jill. The book also had some lesser-known nursery rhymes. The book is as it is advertised; it has 100 of the best-loved rhyming Mother Goose stories. What I liked most about the book was the illustrations. They were bright, big, and vibrant. This is a good book for children to read with adults, or on their own. I would recommend this a great bedtime ...more
Johanna
Jan 01, 2010 Johanna rated it it was amazing
This book has lot`s of good poems. They calm me down a lot when I`m
upset. All of you should read it. I think it`s a realy good book. It
has poems like Jack and Jill. I hope you enjoy this book just as much
as I do.
Mandee
Apr 20, 2015 Mandee rated it liked it
Part I
Rhyme Answer or completion Anthology/Page

In what rhyme is the hour of one o' clock important?

Hickory, Dickory Dock

The Real Mother Goose illustrated by Blanche Fisher Wright pg. 125

Child Craft Vol. 1 Once Upon a Time, pg. 11

Mother Goose a Collection of Classic Nursery Rhymes Selected and Illustrated by Michael Hague, pg. 26

When we ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross, what are we going to buy?
A Galloping Horse

A penny white loaf, a penny white cake, a two penny apple pie.

Century Co. , The Ce
Erin Ewing
Jun 04, 2016 Erin Ewing rated it really liked it
This book is visual stunning as are all of Mary Englebreit's books. The colorful, cute, illustrations draw kids into these old classics and make them so much more appealing. This is a particularly long book with many Mother Goose verses that I had not previously heard. The endpapers are a vibrant teal color with the most beloved characters in a repetitive pattern. Each page is a just a verse of each nursery rhyme with a corresponding illustration. This book is very inviting for young and old rea ...more
Mark
I grew up on The Real Mother Goose, and even as a child I thought it had a lot of filler: short, obscure rhymes of interest only to literary scholars because they make no sense outside the context of early modern England. Even today I can barely parse most of them with my knowledge of history and literature; to a child they were incomprehensible.

This collection is much better curated for contemporary audiences, especially of the juvenile persuasion. It does include some nursery rhymes with which
Julie
Feb 08, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing
This book has most of the nursery rhymes I know in it with some new ones too. The pictures are beautiful, and so this would make a great gift.
One of the new-to-me poems:
Three little ghostesses
Oh, what beastesses
To make such feastesses!
lucem
May 22, 2008 lucem rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddlers & preschoolers
Shelves: pb-mother-goose
CIP: An illustrated collection of nearly one hundred nursery rhymes, including "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and other familiar poems, as well as "Mary had a Pretty Bird" and other less familiar ones.

When choosing a Mother Goose tale for your collection, Engelbreit's is the one to have! It has a great intro for teachers/parents, index of first lines and author note at back. Her illustrations are very detailed and you will want to snatch the fruit right off the page! Sassy pussycat, playful pup
Anahit
Nov 07, 2014 Anahit rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My 3-year-old daughter's most favorite book. The illustrations are so nice and so suggestive of the verse, that she can memorized all 100 verses and can now "read" to herself just by looking at the pictures.
Sheila
Feb 12, 2014 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, childrens
A wonderful collection of Mother Goose stories, beautifully and wonderfully read by Lynn Redgrave. My daughter thoroughly enjoys this audiobook, and I have to admit the Ms. Redgrave's voice adds to the charm.
Becky H.
Jun 21, 2008 Becky H. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all ages
The Mother Goose world has never been seen like this. Mary Engelbreit with her amazing talent for bright colors and adorable characters has brought together 100 rhymes with illustrations. Children and adults will enjoy flipping through this book, enjoying not only the rhymes but the pictures too. “Three Blind Mice,” “Humpty Dumpty” and “Little Bo Peep” come to life. Each picture is intricately detailed. Notice the stitching on Mary, Mary Quite Contrary’s dress or count all 24 mice in “I Saw a Sh ...more
Amy Yount
May 02, 2016 Amy Yount rated it did not like it
(Chapter 10: Recommended Reading)

"Trite"
Krista
Aug 06, 2015 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
review to come
Melissa
Nov 18, 2009 Melissa added it
Shelves: lis-565
Engelbriet’s active and colorful illustrations bring each Mother Goose rhyme to life. Each rhyme has the protagonist pictured, from the little girl with the “little curl/Right in the middle of her forehead” sitting on the front stoop, looking mischievous, surrounded by toys and two kittens to the straw-hatted girl in her tweed coat, rowing her little white Scotty dog for “Row, Row, Row Your Boat.”
Emily
Nov 18, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
We were given a copy of this book last Christmas, and our two year-old still LOVES this book and calls it "Humpty" (referring to the full-spread Humpty Dumpty illustration that she pores over every time we open the book). She asks for me to read it to her again and again, and the great thing is, the illustrations are so delightful...I don't mind. A new classic.
Mary Jo Garcia-Brown
Feb 13, 2011 Mary Jo Garcia-Brown rated it really liked it
If you enjoy Mary Engelbreit's style of illustrations, you'll love this book. I'm not a huge fan; I think her work is a little "cutesy," but of course, so are most Mother Goose nursery rhymes. I do like that she includes some of the more obscure rhymes like "Ickle Ockle, Blue Bockle" and "Three Wise Men of Gotham."
Carolyn Cooper
Jan 04, 2014 Carolyn Cooper rated it it was amazing
I love Mary Engelbreit's detailed illustrations. And also that she included several nursery rhymes that I had never read before.
Gen
Mother Goose is an essential part of early childhood. The language is enriching and it helps with vocabulary and other language domains. This book is fun for kids to read on their own, or to be read aloud by parents or teachers.
Jeanette
Mar 29, 2012 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Red has loved Mother Goose for a while now but he loves the Mary Engelbreit books the best. We kept checking the little board books out from the library every week until I went and bought this book with all of them together.
STEPHANIE
Jan 04, 2008 STEPHANIE rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddie-books
This book's illustrations are bright, bold and wonderful to look at. M.E. does a great job at brining Mother Goose to life. I have owned this book for a few years now and never get tired of flipping through each colorful page.
Maureen
Sep 26, 2012 Maureen rated it really liked it
Shelves: quilting
I love Mother Goose and Mary Engelbreit Illustrations and they are both in this book! This is one I had to have and was fortunate to meet Mary Engelbreit at a local book signing and get my copy signed.
R.
Feb 10, 2008 R. rated it it was amazing
My daughter loves the old fashioned nursery rhymes. This book offers adorable, colorful illustrations. It does modify some of the rhymes to bring them into the current century.
Beth
May 02, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it
In more modern retellings, the old woman in the shoe becomes less violent. But in this version "She kissed them all soundly
And put them to bed."
The artwork is very cheerful.
Amber
Oct 07, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I cannot believe the beautiful, bright colors and amusing and vivid imagery that Mary Engelbreit put into this book! This is a favorite Mother Goose book for young children!!!
Katie
Oct 14, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
All of the classic Mother Goose nursery rhymes with the illustrations of the well-known Mary Engelbreit. A great "updated" version of classic folklore.
Brenda
Jul 22, 2008 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is the most amazing Nursery Rhyme book you will ever find! It has all the classics and many that I didn't know. The illustrations are so captivating!
Huddy Bun Bun
Oct 29, 2011 Huddy Bun Bun rated it it was amazing
Great illustrations, though our the color illustrations on our copy were a little off.

As Huddy says when he demands this book, "Muh Goose" "Muh Goose"!
  • Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies
  • Mama Built a Little Nest
  • Tomie dePaola's Mother Goose
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • Big Chickens
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?
  • Nest
  • Dig!
  • Peter Spier's Rain
  • Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story About Edna Lewis
  • Mop Top
19054
Mary Engelbreit grew up studying the illustrations in the vintage storybooks of her mother’s childhood, and she developed a unique style that harkens back to those simpler times. Mary’s distinctive images have made her a celebrity to millions, who eagerly snap up gift items, calendars, books, fabrics, and more.

Mary’s New York Times bestselling The Night Before Christmas is part of the holiday trad
More about Mary Engelbreit...

Hardcover Read-alouds (4 books)
  • Mary Engelbreit's Nursery Tales: A Treasury of Children's Classics