Start by marking “The Olive Grove” as Want to Read:
The Olive Grove

The Olive Grove

When Patrice Newell left a highly charged urban life to live in the country, friends warned her she'd be bored in no time. Fifteen years later, she's doing more in a day than most of us do in a week. And Elmswood is no ordinary property, it's a biodynamic farm with beef cattle and olives.

The Olive Grove is a celebration of rural life, from the disastrous to the comic. It

Published (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Olive Grove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Olive Grove

Fran Cosgrove
Jan 30, 2015 Fran Cosgrove rated it it was amazing
Shelves: toilet-reading
I do find the subject interesting but the book is as some describe "meandering". Just as Patrice meanders thru her budding olive groves we are on the meandering journey thru her brain as well. Just for the slight boredom factor it has been relegated to my 'toilet reading' pile where it never fails to make my time there more thought provoking and rewarding. I'd say it was not intended to be a 'gripping' read anyway, more an account of the trials and tribulations, of which there are many and compl ...more
Bathsheba
Jan 21, 2015 Bathsheba rated it liked it
I found Patrice's developing knowledge of biodynamic farming to be one of the most interesting topics of this book. Her meandering style could frustrate some but I took that in my stride. Any green thumb would probably enjoy her detailed accounts of nurturing plants and her honesty regarding her failures was refreshing. I struggled with the beef breeding facet and thought it was interesting that she could be so concerned about soil compaction and degradation yet continue to farm a hard hooved an ...more
Cindy
I'm going out to buy a couple of olive trees for our little backyard.... and will always buy Australian grown and pressed olive oil (not that I didn't anyway)from smaller producers if I can.
Patrice Newell loves the land and has a real passion for bio-dynamically grown olives and beef which as you read further into the book inspires you to do the same.
I struggled at the start of the book with her quite blunt writing style and didn't really warm to the book until over half way through but then I
Velvetink
Written by Patrice Newell wife of Phillip Larkiin. Stirred up all my dreams of owning a farm again. but for now I must sleep. Learn't so much about olives and olive oil my head is spinning. Discovered she has a blog and a still thriving olive grove. More later on all this later. I am taking the day off uni.
Kim
Nov 27, 2013 Kim rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was looking for a book that would give me a possible glimpse of a future I am thinking of choosing. This was not it. I also found I did not like her lack of chronology.
Anne Homeschooling-Mama
I want to buy a few hectares and start planting olives right now!
Heath Edwards
Heath Edwards marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Megan Millar
Megan Millar rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
David Saliba
David Saliba rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
David Harris
David Harris rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Sally
Sally added it
May 28, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
May 24, 2016
Frances Denham
Frances Denham marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
David
David added it
Jul 06, 2016
Chris Osborne
Chris Osborne marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Sarah Wills
Sarah Wills marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Ren
Ren rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Lisa Dixon
Lisa Dixon rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Michelle Clearihan
Michelle Clearihan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Alissa Nasti
Alissa Nasti rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2014
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Patrice Newell was born in Adelaide and now runs a farm near Gundy, New South Wales, which produces biodynamic beef, olive oil and garlic. She lives with her partner Phillip Adams and their daughter Aurora.
More about Patrice Newell...