Start by marking “The Peculiar Miss Pickett” as Want to Read:
The Peculiar Miss Pickett

The Peculiar Miss Pickett

Every youngster who has ever been read to and packed off to bed by a baby-sitter will agree that Miss Pickett is indeed peculiar...and wonderful! From their first glimpse of the little white- haired bespectacled lady has she steps daintilly from Daddy's car, to the day she disappears from the corner of Magnolia Street, Carol and Bobby romp wide-eyed through a series of ...more
Published 1972 by Scholastic Book Services, New York (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Peculiar Miss Pickett, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Peculiar Miss Pickett

Myrna
Jan 05, 2009 Myrna rated it it was amazing
I found this book when I was about 10 or 12, and I loved it! I always loved the stories where magical things started happening, and this was one of them. Miss Pickett was a babysitter (like Mary Poppins, only nicer. I loved the Mary Poppins books, but I thought Mary was pretty stuck on herself, and I felt sorry for the Banks family kids because their parents didn't seem to have much to do with them. Anyway.). I started thinking about this book a few years ago, and finally found it online in a ...more
Ellie
Feb 21, 2011 Ellie rated it it was amazing
I've been collecting vintage chapter books for kids (the old Scholastic book order ones), and read this one on a dreary day recently. It brought me out of my doldrums in a hurry! Miss Pickett is the family babysitter, with magic to rival Mary Poppins and Miss Piggle-Wiggle put together. Very fun! I looked on eBay in vain for a sequel, but I don't believe one was ever written, in spite of the ending which would lead the reader to expect one.
Josiah
Oct 05, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
I really was pleasantly surprised by this book.
Writing in the early 1950s, Nancy Julian has carved out a short little gem that surely will hold great appeal to every child who walks the earth, now or in years past. The narrative is sort of a series of brief anecdotes about the times that the otherworldly baby-sitter Miss Pickett comes to watch over brother and sister Bobby and Carol, and the unpredictable magic that always ensues, but the lack of additional insight into the normal lives of th
Judy
Apr 16, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
This is a perfect book for kids who like Mary Poppins or Mr. Pudgins. Instead of being a governess with an umbrella or a babysitter who smokes a pipe, Miss Pickett is a babysitter with black-rimmed glasses. Each chapter is a stand-alone adventure, so the book is good for a night time read aloud. At the end of the book (after 8 chapters), it's fun to choose the adventure that appeals to the kids the most.
Jen Kelley
Feb 16, 2014 Jen Kelley rated it liked it
This was a book from my childhood. I vividly remember my third grade teacher reading this to our class each day following recess. I was spellbound by the babysitter with the magical powers! Although I enjoyed being reminded of special moment from elementary school, the writing was greatly disappointing. Doubtful it would hold the attention of youth of today.
Cary
Jul 23, 2013 Cary rated it really liked it
Yes well I read this when I was young and loved it so for a blast from the past, I reread it today. Still just as good but I could only give it 4 stars since it was so short, I was left wanting much much more!
Tricia Rogers
Sep 30, 2010 Tricia Rogers rated it it was amazing
my mom used to read to me every night when I was a little girl from this book. She would always stop at an exciting part and pick up where she left off the next night. It is an awesome book ... I still love it!
Nancy Brady
Feb 20, 2013 Nancy Brady rated it it was amazing
This one was from my childhood. Loved the babysitter who could do amazing things just by looking through her glasses. A fun read that I read repeatedly.
Jack
Nov 23, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it
This was another book I read in 4th Grade. Probably the first book I ever read that hinted at witchcraft and magic as well.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Feb 15, 2015 Roxanne Hsu Feldman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 1-3grade
A story I loved as a kid. It took me forever to figure out the title of the original version since I read it (dozens of times?) in Chinese. Fond memories!
Jennifer Heise
Classic of the Magical Babysitter Genre. Outranks Ruth Chew's magical babysitters, but not quite up to the Mary Poppins standard.
Kelly Tomlinson
Kelly Tomlinson rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Wyntrnoire
Wyntrnoire rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2011
Louise Leonard
Louise Leonard rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
Ella
Ella rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2010
Ethan
Ethan rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
Noah
Aug 28, 2012 Noah rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-me
Mom
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Tym
Tym rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
May 08, 2012
Kate Farrell
Kate Farrell rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Jan Yip
Nov 28, 2011 Jan Yip rated it it was amazing
One of my childhood favorites!
Jennifer Linder
Jennifer Linder rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Tani
Tani rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Auttie Rogers
Auttie Rogers rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013