Start by marking “Spider Trap (Brock And Kolla, #9)” as Want to Read:
Spider Trap (Brock And Kolla, #9)

Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla #9)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Whenhuman bonesare discovered in Cockpit Lane, a poor area of inner south London, D.C.I. David Brock and D.S. Kathy Kolla of Scotland Yard are called in to investigate. The first twist in the case comes when Brock and Kolla learn thatthe victims died over twenty years ago, during the Brixton riots, information that leads the two of themon a dangerous journey into the heart ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Spider Trap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider Trap

Mickey
Interesting setting and a bit of history about the Brixton riots in 1981. Brock and Kolla are convincing both
in the way they do their detective jobs and the way they often use work to avoid thinking too much or feeling too
much in their private lives.
I've read almost all of Matiland's mysteries and I like them (obviously) very much, but
the last two I've read on Kindle have had so many formatting and other errors they have nearly made
me stop reading to protest. In this book, every single time the
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 04, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: Magda Cawthorne
Imagine a British John Gotti, a Teflon Kray brother, if you will; now you have Edward “Spider” Roach, a ruthless but brilliant kingpin who began in the Jamaican expat area of London known as Cockpit Lane but now preys on folks across the British Isles.

Spider Trap contains so many twists upon surprising twist that almost anything one says about it would prove a spoiler. Let’s just say that the police have been trying to nab Spider Roach and his three menacing sons for so long — and so unsuccessf
Tony
Maitland, Barry. SPIDER TRAP: A Brock and Kolla Mystery. (2006; U.S. – 2007). ****. Two young black girls are found shot to death – execution style – in a garage off to the side of a school in one of the seedier sections of London. Brock and Kolla are put on the case, and do their best to find out who the girls were and what possible motives there were for their killings. At the same time, a young boy in the elementary school nearby is looking out the window and sees foxes entering and leaving t ...more
Jill Hutchinson
The more I read books in this series, the better I like them. Two teen-age girls are found murdered and it looks like a professional hit but why? To add to the mystery, the bodies of three young mean who appear to have been killed in a similar manner are found buried in a nearby waste ground and they have been there for years. Brock and Kolla are on the case and the murders bring back memories to Brock who worked in the area twenty years before. And then up pops the infamous Spider Roach and his ...more
It's certainly not the best, but it did the trick with a little Brock & Kolla fix. The story is too convoluted--not as much as The Verge Practice, for sure, but still a bit much for me. It doesn't have the same great atmosphere that No Trace does, and as a result I just didn't get into the story and peripheral characters. And although Maitland did an okay job with the Jamaican accented dialogue, it was occasionally a bit forced. There is a Brock-related bombshell that's dropped, and although ...more
Terri Wilkinson
As always it was good to spend time with Brock & Kathy and be entertained by Barry maitland's expertly plotted story. Another good entry in a fantastic series!
Heather Smith
Aug 03, 2013 Heather Smith marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the Brock and Kolla series. This particular book, however, I could not get into. I tried on two different occasions and gave up. I cannot pinpoint exactly what caused my disinterest... the strong characters should have swept me along regardless of the plot... but they didn't. Sadly, I've shut the book for the final time and have moved on.
Lisa
this was really good. It was a slow build, well-written, and you really do feel like you're in a 'Spider Trap'. This is my first in this series, and it makes me wonder how his other books are paced. Is this his style or did he make it this way to play to the title? (or vice versa). Anyway, look forward to reading more from the series.
Patti
Unfortunately, not one of my favorites in this series. The characters aren't growing very much for me. Brock is still a somewhat rebellious older Detective, and Kathy still can't find someone to have a relationship with, and still gets herself in a bit of trouble toward the end. It was worth finishing, but I was disappointed.
George
Nov 24, 2007 George rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British mystery readers
Another in the Brock and Kolla mystery series. Maitland continues this well written series involving the usual multilayer plot which unravels slowly until the last page. Suspenseful and thoughtful as Brock and Kolla work together to unravel two sets of murders twenty years apart that seem to be connected.
Megan Kelosiwang
As an architect I love the way Barry Maitland builds up atmosphere using descriptions of the location, in particular the built environment. I felt this trait was missing in this book which still makes it a good murder mystery but missing that extra element that I associate with Maitlands writing.
Kathryn
The prior book in this mystery series veered onto an overly weird path but in this Barry Maitland returns to more solid footing. I'm not sure why his books aren't more popular, the characters are well rounded and memorable, the writing is good and the mysteries are well thought out.
Angie
Damn Barry Maitland and his riveting, twisty plots! I was up way too late finishing this one. Reminded me a lot of a Prime Suspect. Great villains. For someone who lives in Australia, Maitland has London down pat.
Molly Schultz
An excellently written detective story with well-developed characters- set in the UK - filled with twists and turns, keeps the reader guessing until the end.
Sharron
This is a series best read in order. I don't understand why it doesn't get more press in the US - it's rather good.
Gary Van Cott
Good, but not one of best in this series.
Danielle Davila
Danielle Davila marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Nan
Nan added it
Nov 24, 2014
Neville Wheaton
Neville Wheaton marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
R.
R. added it
Oct 01, 2014
  • Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)
  • The Dead Place (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #6)
  • The Flesh Tailor (Wesley Peterson, #14)
  • Silent Fear (Detective Ella Marconi, #5)
  • The Take (DI Joe Faraday, #2)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Mark Tartalgia, #2)
  • The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant, #1, #2, #3)
  • Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope, #6)
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • Singing in the Shrouds (Roderick Alleyn, #20)
  • Lifeless (Tom Thorne, #5)
  • A Snowball in Hell
  • Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
Barry Maitland is the author of the acclaimed Brock and Kolla series of crime mystery novels, which are set in London, where Barry grew up after his family moved there.

His books have been described as whydunits as much as whodunits, concerned with the devious histories and motivations of their characters. Barry's background in architecture drew him to the structured character of the mystery novel,
More about Barry Maitland...
The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1) No Trace (Brock & Kolla, #8) The Chalon Heads (Brock & Kolla, #4) All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3) Dark Mirror (Brock & Kolla, #10)