The Witch of Clatteringshaws

The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles #11)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Dido Twite’s sharp wits are put to the test in this new adventure in the Wolves Chronicles. After King Richard dies, Dido’s good pal Simon is put on the English throne, but he hates being cooped up in drafty St. James Palace, and his crusty old advisors won’t let him have any fun at all. If only another descendent of the king could be found, Simon would gladly be replaced....more
Published August 8th 2006 by Yearling (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch of Clatteringshaws, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch of Clatteringshaws

Sherry Chiger
On its own, The Witches of Clatteringshaws is a fun, fast-moving, but not overly memorable book. But it's almost impossible to rate the book on its own--indeed, if this is a reader's introduction to the Wolves Chronicles, the book may seem close to nonsensical. But as the closing episode of the Wolves Chronicles, it's poignant primarily because it is the last in the series. Like its predecessor, Midwinter Nightingale, it reads more like a hurried outline than like a full-fledged, fully satisfyin...more
Tyas
Rachel
Entertaining, but not enough Dido and not enough of the witch! Ended rather abruptly. One of the most implausible plots I've ever come across!
Anthony Faber
Wolves #11. There's satire in this. It was copyrighted after the author's death, so some uncredit person or persons might have had a hand in it. It doesn't quite fit in with the others.
Meredith
Joan Aiken is a master at walking the knife edge between comedy and tragedy. I often find myself laughing one minute and then gasping and crying the next when reading her work. This book and the one that precedes it in the series (Midwinter Nightingale) are interesting in that they seem to split the comedy and tragedy, so that Midwinter Nightingale is all tragedy, and The Witch of Clatteringshaws is all comedy. Together, they make for a poignant and hilarious end of the series (the Wolves of Wil...more
Karen
I expected SO much more from this book, because all the Joan Aiken books had so much more. I felt like I had been dropped in the middle of a bizarro wilderness that was outside of time, and left to fend for myself. I felt so completely lost that the fact that I had read prior Joan Aiken books was of absolutely no use to me. I can't even imagine how a middle-grade child, who is the actual targeted audience, would feel about reading this book. My guess is, they would never finish it.
Abigail
Disappointing end to a series I have adored since I was a kid. Felt like someone ghost-wrote a quickie story from some notes that Aiken left; totally missed the tone of all the other stories---Dido and Simon seemed out of character, the time period felt off...
This needed some hard-core editing. I don't know what happened here. Usually Joan Aiken can bring in the funky weirdness in a delightfully scary way, but this was disjointed and jarring. It made me a little sad.
Jenn Estepp
alas, the series doesn't end on a high-note. pretty cobbled together - reads more like a first draft that aiken didn't get to revise. sadly, alas, alack, etc.
Alex
Pretty light on details and suspense and a far too happy ending. On the other hand, not terrible.
Paula Curtis
sadly this is the last one and it's got the feeling of rushing towards the end of the run
cubbie
fluffy and wacky but this book reminded me that joan aiken could do no wrong.
Kate Curtis
Disappointing end to the series that I loved so much as a child.
Jan Yip
Another childhood favorite.....I LOVED Dido Twite!
Miss Mouse
Jun 30, 2009 Miss Mouse marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
Willoughby#13
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Kim Raghunathan
Kim Raghunathan marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Hessie
Hessie marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Meghan
Meghan is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Tracie
Tracie marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Eliza
Eliza marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • Fog Magic
  • Little Wizard Stories of Oz
  • A Guide To Tolkien
  • Stealing the Elf-King's Roses
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire #3)
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • Across the Puddingstone Dam (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #4)
  • Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara
  • The Magician's Tower (Oona Crate Mystery, #2)
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles, #4)
  • Quest for a Maid
  • .hack // AI Buster (AI Buster, #1)
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
  • West to a Land of Plenty: The Diary of Teresa Angelino Viscardi
12075
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

Follow THE JOAN AIKEN BLOG at http://joanaiken.wordpress.com/

Read NEWS & NEW PUB...more
More about Joan Aiken...
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)