Dangerous Games

Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles #5)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This eagerly awaited addition to Joan Aiken's award-winning Wolves series takes us on Dido's most imaginative adventure yet!

Dido Twite has been sailing the high seas, chasing after Lord Herodsfoot, who is scouring the globe for new and interesting games. Now he's needed back in London, in the hope that his games will help King James, who is lying ill and wretched with a my...more
Published July 11th 2000 by Yearling (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Games

Robert Beveridge
Joan Aiken, Dangerous Games (Delacorte, 1999)

I somehow got it into my head that Dangerous Games was the fifth Dido book, instead of the eleventh (and also found out that the one I thought was #4, The Stolen Lake, is actually the seventh); now I'm all messed up. Oh, well, reading them out of order has taken nothing out of my enjoyment of them, anyway.

In this eleventh episode of the journeys of Dido Twite, she, Mr. Multiple, and recent passenger Dr. Talisman put in at Aratu, a small island in the...more
Wesley Henningsen
I think that the book was bad because I don't like hard and long books. I like to read medium books because that doesn’t have long pages or long chapters. I like to read different kinds of books that have war or hunting. Because war books get me interested because I can read in tell I stop for lunch or I just want to quit because I can get bored of reading. I don't like reading but if I had no TV or video games. War books it my thing because I like to shot thing but not people and I can hunt and...more
Anthony Faber
Wolves #5. She apparently didn't write them in chronological order, so this takes place between "The Stolen Lake" and "The Cuckoo Tree", while Dido is still on her way back to England.

Nigel
A lively, fast-moving tale from the Wolves Of Willoughby Chase sequence that takes place just after The Stolen Lake. Dido is still trying to return to England on The Thrush, but the ship is diverted and sent chasing after the wandering Lord Herodsfoot, who travels the world collecting games to entertain the ailing King James. Dido and co finally track him down on the Pacific island of Aratu. All is not well on the island, however. The putative ruler, John King is unwell and his ruthless brother...more
Seth
Joan Aiken is a talented writer and a good storyteller. One of her best skills is in creating interesting characters and unique adventures for them and the reader. Dido Twite is one such character, and she seems to encounter adventures in most of the books she is written into (Aiken has a habit of entwining characters from completely different novels together into a master-story network). Though I don't like the way this adventure turns out, I love the characters, the locales, and the fast-paced...more
Particle_Person
This is the least of the Dido Twite novels. It's set after "The Stolen Lake" (which was an EXCELLENT book) but written much later as an insert. Unfortunately this one's a letdown from the start. Dido is almost cardboard in this novel, and it felt like Aiken had forgotten how to write her character. There are scenes that verge on racist. Just give this one a pass and remember Aiken for the first five of the Wolves Chronicles.
Christina
This book explores the challenges of melding different backgrounds, the consequences of trying to change another group of people, and of people working together. I think it does a good job addressing some of these. It is a little intense at times, and I remember there being a few things I wasn't real excited for my 7 year old to read, but it was an enjoyable book.
Corinne
May 22, 2008 Corinne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4th-6th graders
Adventure story on imaginary island. Continuous twists and turns in the plot. I felt that the character development was weak. At the end of the book I didn't feel connected to Dido Twite. However I read similar books when I was young and enjoyed them very much so I'm sure that younger readers will enjoy the book.
Abanob
This book is about armies and animals that get choosen to be in a dangerous game. This is kind of a real life story because in basketball and football you start of in college and you get choosen by a team to play in the harder and better league. They get chooen by human coaches and the rest of the team.
whalesister
More great stuff by Joan Aiken. The characters and plotting are fabulous, as always, but the magic bugged me a bit in this one, seemed slightly hokey, so I'm torn between three and four stars. I think kids would still love it because it's just so dang exciting, so I'll round up this time.
Cameron Edwards
Well I made a mistake when I picked up this book. I didn't even know it was a part of a series. Until I realized they didn't give you that much of player background so I had to drop the book on the first 90 pages.
Kate Curtis
Not my favorite of her books. Too absurd, and I didn't connect with the characters as well.
Jan Yip
Another childhood favorite.....I LOVED Dido Twite!
Jenn Estepp
it's not my favorite of the series, but still good fun ...
Paula Curtis
enjoying reading books from my childhood
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Joshua Brist
Joshua Brist is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Dior Perez
Dior Perez marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Karen R
Karen R marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Marina56
Marina56 marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • Little Wizard Stories of Oz
  • Fog Magic
  • A Guide To Tolkien
  • The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles, #4)
  • Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • .hack // AI Buster (AI Buster, #1)
  • Quest for a Maid
  • The Diddakoi
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • I Walk in Dread: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley, Witness to the Salem Witch Trials, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691
  • The Witch Family
  • Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn
  • Fablehaven No. 1: Fablehaven; Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #1-2)
  • A Sudden Wild Magic
  • Across the Puddingstone Dam (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #4)
12075
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

Follow THE JOAN AIKEN BLOG at http://joanaiken.wordpress.com/

Read NEWS & NEW PUB...more
More about Joan Aiken...
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax Midnight Is a Place