Start by marking “Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)

Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles #5)

This eagerly awaited addition to Joan Aiken's award-winning Wolves series takes us on Dido's most imaginative adventure yet!

Dido Twite has been sailing the high seas, chasing after Lord Herodsfoot, who is scouring the globe for new and interesting games. Now he's needed back in London, in the hope that his games will help King James, who is lying ill and wretched with a my
Published July 11th 2000 by Yearling Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Games

Samantha
Jan 02, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, new
Another masterpiece. The pace and characterisation are fantastic.
Judy
This is perhaps not the best in the Wolves series. Aiken has spent a lot of time explaining what has happened to all the members of various separated groups. She does it using dialogue, which is much better than lengthy narration, but the story doesn't swing along with quite her usual jaunty trot.

Although a great yarn, with Dido her usual charismatic self, this book is not entirely satisfying in all respects. A few loose ends were not tidied... John King's background, character and possible kin
Robert Beveridge
Joan Aiken, Dangerous Games (Delacorte, 1999)

I somehow got it into my head that Dangerous Games was the fifth Dido book, instead of the eleventh (and also found out that the one I thought was #4, The Stolen Lake, is actually the seventh); now I'm all messed up. Oh, well, reading them out of order has taken nothing out of my enjoyment of them, anyway.

In this eleventh episode of the journeys of Dido Twite, she, Mr. Multiple, and recent passenger Dr. Talisman put in at Aratu, a small island in the
Wesley Henningsen
Dec 19, 2013 Wesley Henningsen rated it liked it
I think that the book was bad because I don't like hard and long books. I like to read medium books because that doesn’t have long pages or long chapters. I like to read different kinds of books that have war or hunting. Because war books get me interested because I can read in tell I stop for lunch or I just want to quit because I can get bored of reading. I don't like reading but if I had no TV or video games. War books it my thing because I like to shot thing but not people and I can hunt and ...more
Nigel
Oct 31, 2014 Nigel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
A lively, fast-moving tale from the Wolves Of Willoughby Chase sequence that takes place just after The Stolen Lake. Dido is still trying to return to England on The Thrush, but the ship is diverted and sent chasing after the wandering Lord Herodsfoot, who travels the world collecting games to entertain the ailing King James. Dido and co finally track him down on the Pacific island of Aratu. All is not well on the island, however. The putative ruler, John King is unwell and his ruthless brother ...more
Seth
Jan 05, 2010 Seth rated it liked it
Joan Aiken is a talented writer and a good storyteller. One of her best skills is in creating interesting characters and unique adventures for them and the reader. Dido Twite is one such character, and she seems to encounter adventures in most of the books she is written into (Aiken has a habit of entwining characters from completely different novels together into a master-story network). Though I don't like the way this adventure turns out, I love the characters, the locales, and the fast-paced ...more
Ann Mclain
Jan 12, 2016 Ann Mclain rated it liked it
I didn't know that there were any books after the original 7 or 8--finishing I think with Dido and Pa, and recently found that there were three in the series that were written in the 90s. I have now read two--this one and Cold Shoulder Road--and I don't think they hold up to the first ones of the series. It's hard to say, since I first read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase at the age of 10 or so, and I'm coming to these in my 50s, so the perspective is quite different!
Particle_Person
Sep 21, 2011 Particle_Person rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure
This is the least of the Dido Twite novels. It's set after "The Stolen Lake" (which was an EXCELLENT book) but written much later as an insert. Unfortunately this one's a letdown from the start. Dido is almost cardboard in this novel, and it felt like Aiken had forgotten how to write her character. There are scenes that verge on racist. Just give this one a pass and remember Aiken for the first five of the Wolves Chronicles.
Corinne
May 22, 2008 Corinne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 4th-6th graders
Adventure story on imaginary island. Continuous twists and turns in the plot. I felt that the character development was weak. At the end of the book I didn't feel connected to Dido Twite. However I read similar books when I was young and enjoyed them very much so I'm sure that younger readers will enjoy the book.
Abanob
Oct 23, 2011 Abanob rated it really liked it
This book is about armies and animals that get choosen to be in a dangerous game. This is kind of a real life story because in basketball and football you start of in college and you get choosen by a team to play in the harder and better league. They get chooen by human coaches and the rest of the team.
Christina
Aug 03, 2007 Christina rated it really liked it
This book explores the challenges of melding different backgrounds, the consequences of trying to change another group of people, and of people working together. I think it does a good job addressing some of these. It is a little intense at times, and I remember there being a few things I wasn't real excited for my 7 year old to read, but it was an enjoyable book.
Cameron Edwards
Dec 03, 2013 Cameron Edwards rated it it was ok
Well I made a mistake when I picked up this book. I didn't even know it was a part of a series. Until I realized they didn't give you that much of player background so I had to drop the book on the first 90 pages.
whalesister
Mar 20, 2009 whalesister rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
More great stuff by Joan Aiken. The characters and plotting are fabulous, as always, but the magic bugged me a bit in this one, seemed slightly hokey, so I'm torn between three and four stars. I think kids would still love it because it's just so dang exciting, so I'll round up this time.
Karen
Jan 19, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Croopus! Dido is gallivanting about again, this time on a mysterious island with a reclusive king, poisonous snakes and a cross dressing doctor. Not as good as Black Hearts in Battersea, for example, but still a good romp.
Anthony Faber
Feb 11, 2014 Anthony Faber rated it it was amazing
Wolves #5. She apparently didn't write them in chronological order, so this takes place between "The Stolen Lake" and "The Cuckoo Tree", while Dido is still on her way back to England.

Brenda
Jan 31, 2016 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am still enjoying this unusual convoluted story of loss, magic and reconnection - with sinister plots. greed, generosity and intrigue thrown in.
Karrie
Jul 15, 2016 Karrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, wobble16
This is my least favorite of the series so far. It wasn't very engaging and seemed to be all over the place. A real disappointment after #4.
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2008
Mckinley
Mckinley rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2016
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Cliqett
Cliqett rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2012
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2009
Sumofparts
Sumofparts rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
H
H rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2012
Jan Yip
Nov 01, 2011 Jan Yip rated it it was amazing
Another childhood favorite.....I LOVED Dido Twite!
TyraelsWings
TyraelsWings rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Maryam
Maryam rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Ayobami
Ayobami rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Luke Tweedy
Luke Tweedy rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2013
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • She Was Nice To Mice: The Other Side of Elizabeth I's Character Never Before Revealed by Previous Historians
  • Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (The Rescuers, #4)
  • .hack // AI Buster (AI Buster, #1)
  • Fireweed
  • Little Wizard Stories of Oz
  • The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles, #4)
  • Dragon Strike (Age of Fire, #4)
  • Fog Magic
  • Quest for a Maid
  • The Diddakoi
  • Judy's Journey
  • Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • Night Fires (Vampire #1)
  • The Well At The World's End: Volume II
12075
Joan Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE has been in print for over 50 years with a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza. She was known as a writer of wild fantasy, Gothic novels and unforgettable short stories.
NEW COLLECTION 2016 - The People in The Castle https://www.goodread
More about Joan Aiken...

The Wolves Chronicles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3)
  • The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Chronicles, #4)
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
  • Is Underground (The Wolves Chronicles, #8)
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • Midwinter Nightingale (The Wolves Chronicles, #10)
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)