The 30-Second Commute: A Non-Fiction Comedy About Writing & Working From Home

The 30-Second Commute: A Non-Fiction Comedy About Writing & Working From Home

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The 30 Second Commute is a comic narrative about the real life of a full-time writer. Stephanie Dickison had been successfully publishing features and articles for over a decade while working a full-time job, but in December 2005, she left the secure world of a “real job” to tackle completing a manuscript that was close to five years old and to take on freelance writing fu...more
Published June 1st 2009 by ECW Press (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The 30-Second Commute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 30-Second Commute

Nicole
The 30-Second Commute is a glimpse of a freelancer’s life. Those seeking a how-to guide should look to a number of other titles, though there are some insights that can be gained. Dickison makes it clear that her life is not all about hanging around the computer in her pajamas waiting for inspiration. If someone reading this book was hoping being a freelancer would allow him or her to live such a life, it quickly becomes clear that doing so doesn’t lead to success. A series of lists throughout t...more
Abby Ang
Rereading this after five/six years is interesting. I still think the book is entertaining and light and offers a candid look at the life of a full-time freelance writer. I don't mind the vignette(ish?) format. She seems like an interesting, intelligent person who has been quite successful in what seems to be a difficult career. But I'm not always fond of her writing style, here and in her blogs -- for someone who makes her living writing, quite a bit of it feels sloppy. From what I've read of h...more
Oyster
1930s Hollywood: anxiety, grandiosity, seduction, gossip. This is the world about which American literary icon Nathanael West wrote. Pre-reality TV, reality lit. With a short lived (one year exactly) marriage to Eileen McKenney, Lonelyhearts is both love story and sociological analysis.
Jamie Rosen
I wrote a lengthy review. The internet crashed. This is the short version:

This is a book that spends most of its time talking about how awesome Dickison's job as a restaurant reviewer is. There's some interesting stuff closer to the beginning where she actually talks about life as a freelancer. Then she spends most of the rest of the book talking about food, alcohol, and eating too much.

Don't bother, unless you're already reading her blog or you're interested in a mundane recap of the life of a...more
Ava
A fun and insightful look at life in the growing, uncertain world of freelancing. For anyone who's taking the plunge and following a dream of becoming a writer this is a must read! For anyone that's considered it, you'll love reading about what you're missing! And what foodie hasn't wondered about the life of a food writer? I have and most loved Stephanie's stories about that.
Terry
Oct 03, 2009 Terry added it
Terrifically funny, this is a wonderful insider of a writer, food expert and adventurer continuing to discover a city of extraordinary and diverse cultures. An absolute must read for entertainment or pure escape. Take this book - curl up on a chilly night or head for the beach on a hot sizzling day - would fit the bill every time!
Mathis
This book is like ' The Devil Wears Prada', meets ' Legally Blonde', meets 'Julie and Julia", all in one. It's witty and fun. At the end of the day, she's just a homegirl that's trying to get ahead in the writer's world. I think anyone who's thinking about becoming a writer should have this piece of wisdom in their repertoire of books.
Susan
Stephanie Dickison tales us along on her journey as a freelance writer. Funny and straight forward. She lets us in on the pros and cons of being one's own boss and working from home. Full of wit and charm. Anyone considering becoming a full time, work at home writer should pick up this book.
Jess
Found the first half pretty great (besides the awkward chapter about wanting to be a dirty writer). The second half was about the importance of music and food in her life and was really hard to drag myself through.
Gil Segev
Funny and really relevant to my life.
Rukshana
Reading another book about work...can you tell what's on my mind?
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Donna
Donna is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Anaiya
Anaiya marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Jinny
Jinny marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2013
Virginia Jacobs
Virginia Jacobs marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Author, journalist, blogger and social media specialist Stephanie Dickison has written hundreds of articles, interviews, essays, columns, profiles, features and reviews for international magazines, newspapers, sites and blogs.

The 30 Second Commute: A Non Fiction Comedy About Writing & Working From home covers her career as pop culture, book, music and restaurant critic is now available!

Browse...more
More about Stephanie Dickison...
The 30-Second Commute: A Non-Fiction Comedy about Writing and Working From Home The 30-Second Commute: A Non-Fiction Comedy about Writing and Working from Home 30 Second Commute, The: The Perks and Perils of Being a Freelance Writer