The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  8,898 ratings  ·  583 reviews
Wicked wolves and a grim governess threaten Bonnie and her cousin Sylvia when Bonnie's parents leave Willoughby Chase for a sea voyage. Left in the care of the cruel Miss Slighcarp, the girls can hardly believe what is happening to their once happy home. The servants are dismissed, the furniture is sold, and Bonnie and Sylvia are sent to a prison-like orphan school. It see...more
Published November 14th 2000 by Delacorte Press (first published 1962)

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
212th out of 3,019 books — 5,749 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
473rd out of 9,854 books — 55,357 voters

More lists with this book...

Mariel
Dec 04, 2010 Mariel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: angels with even filthier souls
Recommended to Mariel by: angels with filthy souls
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase is best read when young, or by those with the ability to tap into their inner girl.

I enjoyed the evil impostors who gleefully inflict child abuse. 'Wolves' is best read by kids who love to feel a bit of self-pity and delicious horror.
Bonnie is a bit of a simpering thing and there are lots of mentions of dresses and lace. I didn't care about that. My eyes tend to glaze over fripperies in real life too. (It feels like I'm the only person alive who doesn't notice if s...more
Margaret
"It was dusk -- winter dusk. Snow lay white and shining over the pleated hills, and icicles hung from the forest trees. Snow lay piled on the dark road across Willoughby Wold, but from dawn men had been clearing it with brooms and shovels. There were hundreds of them at work, wrapped in sacking because of the bitter cold, and keeping together in groups for fear of the wolves, made savage and reckless from hunger..."
I dare you not to go on reading after that.
I read this book over and over as a...more
Leslie
W.B.
This is terrible but wonderful.

It's really a book that was published for young adults or kids, but published in 1962 so the idea of what constitutes entertaining literature for youngsters is really rather dated.

I think the author was more influenced by Edward Gorey and his odd, brilliant little books than she was by some of the other palpable influences, like Dickens and other masters of "waif literature."

It's the story of a rich little "waif" (so not a true waif, but she fits the archetypal mol...more
Ellyddan
I read this book thinking, "I wish this had been around when I was younger..." Well, this is a foolish thought because the books were around when I was a child, and have been around for awhile.
Any books for children that feature a mixture of Georgian/Victorian society, a dash of wolves, loads of adventure, and little girls learning to stand on their own two solid feet has my love. I love that Bonnie is not only a plucky young girl, but also handy with a rifle (good against wolves!).
This story...more
First Second Books
This book has it all – kidnapping, secret passages, shipwrecks, orphans, violent death, fraud, a stolen inheritance, and best of all – wolves!
PEI Public Library Service
If a voracious young reader (Grades 4-6) requested a funny, gothic adventure and didn't mind that it was published 1963, I would recommend Joan Aiken's The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.

Sylvia, a very well brought up young lady, travels through an alternate Victorian England, on way to a new home with her wealthy cousin, Bonnie Green of Willoughby Chase. The train is attacked by wolves, not unusual, but very frightening to Sylvia. On Sylvia's arrival, she learns that Bonnie's parents are leaving i...more
Geeta
For a while, I re-read this book once every summer, during the hottest, most humid months. I'm not sure how to categorize it, beyond children's book. I think the series as a whole appealed to me as a child because of the adventure and the strong female characters, especially Dido Twite, who does not appear until the next book.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sep 21, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of gothic adventure
One of those stories where things get worse and worse and worse for the heroines - parents lost at sea, presumed dead; the new servants are revealed as evil schemers, and there is no where they can turn! How can they ever escape this horrible fate? Illustrated by Edward Gorey, to wonderful effect.
Simon Aldous
Wolves of Willoughby Chase is a gripping tale involving two girls, Bonnie and her cousin Sylvia, who are left in the hands of their governess Miss Slighcarp while Bonnie's parents go away on a restorative sea cruise.

In fact, Miss Slighcarp has fixed for the parents to travel on an unseaworthy ship, which soon sinks, while she rewrites their will in her favour, and dispatches the girls to a boarding-school-cum-workhouse, run by the evil Mrs Brisket.

Slighcarp and Brisket make two marvellous vill...more
Sarah Keliher
Though this book kicks off a much longer series, it can be read as a satisfying stand-alone novel, which is, in itself, sort of refreshing these days. It's a perfectly child-sized epic, hitting on all the nebulous things that scare kids the most - unreliable and possibly hostile adults, injustice, abandonment, and, of course, ravenous and impossibly crafty packs of wolves - as well as all the little details that make a story really and truly alive for young readers. I remember as a child being m...more
Margaret
Joan Aiken's Wolves Chronicles are wildly inventive fantasies, set in an alternate England where the Stuarts remained on the throne, making the Hanoverians the rebels and conspirators, and where wolves still roam even in London. There are eleven of them in all (and won't be any more, since Aiken sadly died in January 2004), and I think of them in sets of two or three.

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase and Black Hearts in Battersea introduce many of the main characters in the series, chiefly Simon, a...more
Tracey
I checked this out based on delphica's recent recommendation & its appearance on Locus' Greatest Young Adult Fantasy/Science Fiction list.

Written in 1962, the story hearkens back to the turn of the nineteenth century, being the adventures of two girls: wealthy tomboy Bonnie, and her poor, sickly orphan cousin, Sylvia who comes to Willoughby Chase to stay with Bonnie and her family. However, Sir Willoughby and his wife are about to travel abroad in the hopes of improving his wife's health. Th...more
Ann
This was one of my favorite books when I was 12 or 13 - it always reminds me so much of Jane Eyre, and I'm not sure if it's just because of similarities in the story or because I read them at the same time - probably both. I remember being completely intrigued by the idea of using a frozen river for travel; it's an image that has stuck with me for many years - to escape via frozen water. This book has everything appealing to the gothic-minded young girl - hidden passage-ways, thwarted notes for...more
Carol Storm
Bonnie and Sylvia -- two little girls on a roller-coaster into the unknown!

This is one of those magical books that seems to be written for children, but is equally captivating for adults. There's just something about the dream-like setting, the dark, ironic humor, the warmly romantic friendship of the two girls, that makes you feel this is really a dream you're having as an adult of what childhood could have been like, scary and beautiful and fascinating, instead of being like most childhoods, s...more
Melissa B.
I saw a lame-o movie version of this book at some point in my life, so I really don't know what possessed me to read it, but I'm so glad I did. The only problem now is, I don't know what order the rest of the books actually go in (I find conflicting lists constantly), and the other books are super hard to find, so I haven't made it through more than four of them. But great books, really. If you're looking for books for your kids to read, or books to read to your kids, or books for the kid in you...more
Stephany
Years ago I searched the Internet for this book when I could not find it at my parents' house. The entire series is worth your time; this is just the first. Aiken spins a real tale and doesn't spare the historical context. Because it doesn't talk down to kids or spare them violence, it stands the test of time. A bit Jane Eyre for me, which I love. Great English fiction for young and old alike.
Lauri
Aug 08, 2008 Lauri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers looking for a read-aloud.
Recommended to Lauri by: Mrs. Adams
My Fourth Grade teacher read this aloud to our class and we would plead with her not to stop every day until she finished it. I read it to my Sixth Grade homeroom close to twelve years ago and they would plead with me not to stop as well. It's children's literature, of course, but it's a GREAT read-aloud. I've searched for copies recently and it's hard to find.
Celeste Ng
Everything a little girl wants in a book: a wicked governess, a best friend, forced poverty, a rescue, and a crushworthy literary character. This is the first book in the Wolves Chronicles, and although it's probably the weakest (and the least tied to the series) it's still worth a read.
Natalie
This is the first book that I have devoured whole in quite awhile.

It's got orphans, dungeons, wicked governesses, boys who live in caves, and girls with beautiful dolls. All the ingredients for a proper short children's novel.
Bekah
Oct 01, 2007 Bekah added it
Shelves: mychildhood
I remember loving this book. I think it was kind of scary. I don't remember much about the plot anymore, but I do remember LOVING it. I wouldn't shut up about it and tried to get all my friends to read it, which didn't work.
X
A nice, fun, exciting story. Somehow it seemed a bit trite, even though I can only think of one or two similar stories, but Bonnie and Sylvia were delightful heroines and the extra-happy ending was a nice surprise.
I remembered this as one of my favorite books as a kid. I checked it out to read with my 13 year old daughter who doesn't like to read much. We read it together and she loved it. It is a lot of fun.
Krista
I loved this book!! Very exciting and atmospheric. Kids vs. pure evil adults, who will win? I loved dear old Pattern. There are 10 or so more books to this set that follow the tales of the goose boy.
Stacey
It has been a long time since I have read this, but I remember loving the story and it keeping me entertained. This book was bought for me by one of my older brothers and I cherish it to this day.
Kirsten
Great fun! Orphans, hyper-intelligent wolves, shipwreck, an evil governess, and a stout-hearted goose boy named Simon. This is a cracking good story, both creepy and very funny.
Amy Sherman
It's fascinating how much children's lit has changed over the course of the past century or so, and reading this book for the first time 50 years after it was originally published is an interesting example.

First of all, though, I want to say that the best thing about this is the wolves: (view spoiler)...more
Courtney Johnston
Ach. So, it turns out Young Me likes this book much more than Now Me.

Young Me was entranced by the feisty female lead (Bonnie - daughter of Sir and Lady Willoughby, who conveniently disappear from their English countryhouse in the opening pages to someplace warm so her mother can recuperate from some mystery illness that leaves her attractively slim and languid), the aforementioned wolves (who have poured into England through the newly opened Channel Tunnel, leaving Europe's harsh winter for one...more
whalesister
Classic, fabulous storytelling. Everything a children's novel should be. One of those books you love as a kid and then come back to as an adult and can see exactly why it stuck out in your brain. Dark, mysterious, exciting, but full of hope and vibrant characters you don't forget. A sense of delight is what you end with, as children take on dastardly adults and win. Aiken's style reminds me of a sort of Dickens for kids. Somehow I never knew as a kid there were more books in the series besides B...more
SarahC
This is the first of Joan Aiken's Willoughby Chase chronicles. It is a page-turner and far more of an adventure thriller than I had imagined. It is set in an alternate England, beginning in 1832, and we see the start of the trials and journeys of three children on Willoughby Wold. The book was first published in 1962 and probably offers more straightforward danger and troubles than many children's books written in more recent decades. Both real wolves and "wolves in sheeps' clothing" threaten pa...more
Bookish Links 5 24 Feb 28, 2014 08:18AM
  • The Children of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #1)
  • Daughter of the Mountains
  • The Master Puppeteer
  • Gone-Away Lake (Gone-Away Lake, #1)
  • Mistress Masham's Repose
  • A Traveller In Time
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • Box Of Delights
  • The House of Sixty Fathers
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • The Haunting
  • Charlotte Sometimes
  • Tom's Midnight Garden
  • The House With a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1)
  • Marianne Dreams (The Magic Drawing Pencil, #1)
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6)
12075
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

Follow THE JOAN AIKEN BLOG at http://joanaiken.wordpress.com/

Read NEWS & NEW PUB...more
More about Joan Aiken...
Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax Midnight Is a Place Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)

“It was dusk - winter dusk. Snow lay white and shining over the pleated hills, and icicles hung from the forest trees. Snow lay piled on the dark road across Willoughby Wold, but from dawn men had been clearing it with brooms and shovels. There were hundreds of them at work, wrapped in sacking because of the bitter cold, and keeping together in groups for fear of the wolves, grown savage and reckless from hunger.” 1 likes