Start by marking “In the Shadow of Lions: A Novel of Anne Boleyn (Chronicles of the Scribe #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of Lions: A Novel of Anne Boleyn (Chronicles of the Scribe #1)

In the Shadow of Lions: A Novel of Anne Boleyn (Chronicles of the Scribe #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  57 reviews
"I am the first writer, The Scribe. My books lie open before the Throne, and someday will be the only witness of your people and their time in this world. The stories are forgotten here, and the Day draws close. I will tell you one of my stories.You will record it."

Published September 1st 2008 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of Lions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of Lions

Matched by Ally CondieEmerald Green by Kerstin GierTattered Heart by Annie JacksonPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenA Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn
Green from the Thickest Forest
35th out of 194 books — 129 voters
High Desert Haven by Lynnette BonnerThe Pursuit of Lucy Banning by Olivia NewportPrize of My Heart by Lisa NoratoCourting Morrow Little by Laura FrantzDawn's Prelude by Tracie Peterson
Most Beautiful Book Covers
100th out of 123 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
First let me say that Garrett's writing is good. The book has been edited. The reason why I couldn't finish is Garrett's character of Anne Boleyn. While I am glad, very glad, that a fictional writer makes use of Anne and religion, making Anne into a naive, innocent form a family who think thier elder daughter (Mary) is a slut, is a little much for me. Sorry. (I also didn't like the whole Katherine of Aragorn characterization).

I did like the description and interactions of the More family.

If you
Crystal Laine
This is an unusual POV--what if Anne Boleyn was a martyr? All the historical people are here--Thomas More, King Henry the Eighth, William Hutchins(William Tyndale.) I read it and was inspired to read my Bible through again as it made me weep how we got our Bible into our hands. A mighty work of fiction--loved it. Edgy and inspiring.
Kelly
This is another first for me. I have read a lot of fiction but never Historical fiction. It isn't that the genre wasn't entertaining, it was just a genre I never looked to for reading enjoyment. Ginger Garrett's Shadow of Lions definitely made me rethink picking up historical fiction.

The book is a tapestry of four stories making one whole. We are lead through very visual language through the rise of Anne Boleyn from Queen Catherine's lady in waiting to King Henry the VIII's strong desire. The st
Becky
I really liked Ginger Garrett's style of writing - it was interesting and had a really smooth flow. I liked the basic premise of this story - an angel of sorts is re-telling Anne Boleyn's story as it supposedly "really" happened to a modern woman dying of cancer. It does present a different side of Anne Boleyn and a different side of Thomas More than is usually presented in history books.

That said - it was pretty bad. She actually says implies in the Author's Notes that Anne Boleyn may have been
Ruth
Every once in a while I read a novel that is not only well-written and entertaining, but also challenges and grows my faith. In the Shadow of Lions is such a novel, and the story has stayed with me long after I finished the book. Ginger Garrett (author of the novels Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther 480-465 BC and Dark Hour (Serpent Moon Trilogy)) excels at bringing history to life, and with her latest offering she turns her attention to the well-known Anne Boleyn and turns everything I t ...more
Mel
Also on http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com

Summary.
This book starts with the story of a dying woman in our time. She is visited by a strange figure nobody else can see: an Angel called The Scribe. He wants her to record the story he is about to tell out of The Tablets of Destiny.

He begins with Rose, a suicidal woman who ends up in the household of Thomas More. She is devoted to God until she reads the forbidden book from Hutchins. More is trying to persecute everyone who dares to read this book
Stephanie Tracy
This was an absolutely amazing story about two Tudor women - one, the very famous Anne Boleyn, and the other a fictional servant to Thomas More named Rose. Both women are on very different paths, with very different purposes, but their lives center around one book - the newly influential book by William Hutchins, a heretic. This is a story not only about the famous love between Henry VIII and his second wife, but also about an attachment and willingness to seek God, when powerful people at court ...more
Jo
This book was a terrible mess. Important historical facts were not included or completely disregarded and the whole thing just felt rushed. And, wow, what an incredible piece of anti-Catholicism not seen in England since the discovery of the Gunpowder Plot in 1605!
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
In the Shadow of Lions is a beautifully written book by Ginger Garrett. It is the story of Anne Boleyn and the possible role she played in bringing the English version of the Bible into being. I sometimes shy away from books written in this era - something about the way they are written is just too "flowery" and unbelievable for me. This was not the case with this book.

A Scribe comes to visit a dying author in the hospital and tells her this story. The story of Anne and a peasant girl, Rose, du
Virginia
Enjoyable, especially for enthusiasts of the period. I enjoyed Garrett's look inside the life of Thomas More as well as Anne Boelyn. I really liked the inside glimpse of the widespread turmoil caused by the introduction of the forbidden English translation of the Bible, and the way that may have played into the inner workings of Henry's and Anne's relationship. And the much broader and more widespread political workings of Henry's England -- in fact, all of Christianity. This was one of those bo ...more
Eustacia Tan
Like one of the characters says in this book, everyone's written something about Anne Boleyn. But this book is sympathetic towards her. This makes it rather strange for me, because my first introduction to her was through The Other Boleyn Girl, which was not a very flattering portrait.

In The Shadow of Lions has a very interesting narrative style. It jumps between the 'author' of the book an the actual story. Personally, I found this style distracting, I didn't care about the author (there wasn't
Ksenia
I didn’t finish this book. As quick of a read as it was, I just couldn’t finish it. The premise sounded interesting and different. I thought it would fit nicely in terms of timing too, since I have just finished watching the first season of The Tudors on Netflix. But I was so confused as to what was going on, in terms of this Scribe who shows up a dying editor’s hospital bed, forcing her to write down this true history. Who was this Scribe? Was it Death? Someone else? Apparently there was a myst ...more
Margaret Metz
I read a lot of historical fiction and I think this is the first time I saw the perspective that Anne Boleyn might have been a strong believer and trying hard to please God. It was a really unique look at most of those central figures. I've read about some of them before but I found most of it really interesting - and sometimes heart breaking. I wish the book would have not wasted any time in the present because those scenes didn't connect with me nearly as much and sometimes just left me scratc ...more
Dawn Edwards
A Novel of Anne Boleyn

Ms. Garrett has written a superb novel about Anne Boleyn, the second wife of Henry VIII. Unlike what history authors have done with Anne Boleyn's life, Ms. Garrett has explored the feelings Anne must have felt as she tried to reconcile her religious beliefs with the feelings she had for King Henry.

Anne also had to wander through court intrigues about which she was ill prepared to handle. Ms. Garrett has described the isolation that Anne had to feel with so many people of b
Michelle
About the Book:

"I am the first writer, The Scribe. My books lie open before the Throne, and someday will be the only witness of your people and their time in this world." So begins the narration of one such angel in this sweeping historical tale set during the reign of England's Henry VIII. It is the story of two women, their guardian angels, and a mysterious, subversive book . . . a book that outrages some, inspires others, and launches the Protestant Reformation.The devout Anne Boleyn catches
Holly
OK... this was bizarre and a little weird, but I'm glad I read it. It was an interesting way to tell a history story and I found myself wanting to know more about the time period and the real characters. But sometimes I was confused about what was really going on. I also found the ending a lot disappointing. No fairy tale there...

The overall, theme and message of the story was good.
Heidi
Overall a pretty good book. For the longest time though I had a bit of a hard time with how much it jumped around from one storyline to the other. I'm still not so sure I get the ending but I'm going to read the second book with hopes it will clear that up some more with going further into the story.

I will always read any author notes after a book and it felt a bit like being preached to about religion and while I'm not against anyone in their own religious views, and I'm not overly religious my
Kara
A very unique book. I enjoyed the different perspective on Anne Boleyn, Henry VIII, More, and others. It was very interesting to think that maybe our traditional perception of Anne is somewhat off base. As usual, Ms. Garrett's writing is beautiful...she really makes her characters and settings come alive! I also found the supernatural twist in this series intriguing. I did find the jumping between the two women's stories and the present to be somewhat jarring at times, although I was able to fol ...more
Jill Puckett
Loved this book!!! Great new perspective to Anne Boleyn!!!
Aimee
I enjoyed this different twist on the Henry/Anne Boleyne story. In this version, Anne is not the wicked person history usually claims her to be. She is a woman trapped in circumstances beyond her control.
The main storyline though is basically about the bringing forth of the Bible to the people; how they felt on BOTH sides of the issue and the pain and suffering that went in to bringing it to the masses.
At the end, I did really want to go read my scriptures! It made me appreciate the martyrs th
Dee
It isn't very often that a fiction book makes me stop and think, this one did just that. I was a little thrown at the very beginning, unsure of where this story was going and had almost convinced myself that I had accidentally downloaded an book that wasn't Christian. Boy, could I have not been more wrong. It challenged me both spiritually and mentally. Trust me when I say you will come away with a different take on Ann Boleyn. Was she really as bad as the men who hated her wrote, or was she rea ...more
Joy
This story gives a more forgiving view of Anne Boleyn, who is often viewed as one of the most devious women in history. Instead, she is led by the desires of a cold, distant, privilaged king who took what he wanted. I enjoyed the parallel story of Thomas More and William Hutchins (Tyndale), and appreciated the insight it gave to the background of the story. However, I could have done without the addition of the scribe/angel/dying woman portion that was at the beginning and end of the tale.
Dani
Unfortunately I found this book a little confusing. I enjoyed the storys of Anne and Rose, but found Bridget's "story" vague, short and therefore confusing. I was saddened that we didn't get to go into more detail about her and what ever happened with David. I also found that it ended quite abruptly.
On a plus side, I am not usually a fan of this period in history, yet I found this rendition of Anne Boleyn's story quite interesting.
Amy
This book took a different spin on the Anne Boleyn/Henry VIII love affair. It also took a look into Sir Thomas More's life and his persecution of "heterics" of the time. Then it tells the story of the persecuted Bible readers in a time when the church wanted to keep the Word out of the people's hands. It all comes together to present a compelling, well-written story. You will never read your Bible the same after this!
Cindyanne
Great read, and portrays Anne Boleyn as more of a victim of circumstance instead of the husband-stealing wench most other books (and history) reveal her as. You also get to see how if William Tyndale had not written the Bible for the common man, we would still be seeking the supposedly "Godly wisdom" and forgiveness from priests instead of forming a one-on-one relationship with Jesus and the Father.
Elizabeth Yong
Not sure how I like this. While interesting to see Anne portrayed in a more positive light, the ofher bits in the story were distracting and not complete. Perhaps the other two books in the series may have the answers?
Lori
While I enjoyed it, unfortunately I'd have to say that I think "The Other Boleyn Girl" was a much richer treatment of Ann Boleyn, and that "Demon: A Memoir" was a much better treatment of a an angel/demon telling a story to an author to write. I did like the storyline of the Hutchins book and wished that "The Other Boleyn Girl" had included more on it.
Erin
The best part of this book, for me, were the author's notes at the end. That was where everything came together and the message finally hit home. It was enjoyable enough as a historical fiction focusing on King Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn and Thomas More, but the fight for the emergence of our English Bibles was the real story here.
DeAnn
Beginning was a little hard to follow I think because I didn't get the "Scribe" part at first. I'm relatively unread when it comes to Anne Boleyn, but it was a different side to her than I've read elsewhere. Loved the discussion questions at the end. I think it would be fun to discuss this in a group over coffee. :)
April Erwin
Very exciting and intriguing. This period in history has always interested me and Ginger's take is unique. I don't think I've ever read about Thomas Moore in quite this way before. The narrative is strong and evocative and the characters well defined. It's worth the read, even if you're new to historical novels.

Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 2 hours, 32 min ago
  • City of the Dead
  • Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War, #3)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Isle of Shadows
  • Flame of Resistance
  • Valeria's Cross
  • Healer (The Brides of Alba #1)
  • Love's Rescue (The Sierra Chronicles #1)
  • Daughter of Silk (The Silk House, #1)
  • The Restitution (Legacy of the King's Pirates #3)
  • Claim: A Novel of Colorado (The Homeward Trilogy, #3)
  • Talking to the Dead
  • Heiress (Daughters of Fortune, #1)
  • A Constant Heart
  • Sarai (Wives of the Patriarchs, # 1)
  • The House of Closed Doors
  • Before the Scarlet Dawn (Daughters of the Potomac, # 1)
  • In the Shadow of the Sun King (Darkness to Light, #1)
Ginger Garrett is the author of the Chronicles of the Scribes series (In the Shadow of Lions, In the Arms of Immortals, In the Eyes of Eternity), Wolves Among Us, Chosen, Desired, Dark Hour, and Beauty Secrets of the Bible. Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther was recognized as one of the top five novels of 2006 by the ECPA.

Focusing on ancient women's history, Ginger creates novels and nonfict
More about Ginger Garrett...
Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther (Lost Loves of the Bible #1) Desired: The Untold Story of Samson and Delilah (Lost Loves of the Bible, #2) Dark Hour Reign: The Chronicles Of Queen Jezebel (Lost Loves of the Bible #3) Wolves Among Us