Start by marking “Solo: On Her Own Adventure (Seal Women's Travel)” as Want to Read:
Solo: On Her Own Adventure (Seal Women's Travel)

Solo: On Her Own Adventure (Seal Women's Travel)

Book by
Published May 10th 2005 by Seal Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Solo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solo

Linda
Mar 09, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing

Never hike alone. How many times have I been admonished not to hike solo? This advice has come from people I respect and I would like to comply, but I can’t. The joy and ultimate purpose of the walks I take is to let my mind wander and to take time to allow the tape to run and make room for new impressions. This meditative state is hard to achieve when there is another consciousness crowding in on your thoughts. So, even though my father warned me against walking alone of the bear invested, mist
Jessica Plante
Mar 07, 2012 Jessica Plante rated it really liked it
A collection of tales of women adventurers travelling alone, all over the world, in all types of terrain. This was an inspiring, exhilarating, and insightful read. Women telling why they were venturing out alone-- biking through New Zealand or backpacking in Alaska-- and how it affected their psyches and emotions.

On the one hand, I really don't need to be encouraged to "go now, go solo", because doing things I want to do while alone is my default mode. I need to be pushed into inviting other pe
MrsChris
May 15, 2015 MrsChris rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collection of essays! I truly want to rush out and buy a copy of this book for every female I know.
Margie
Jul 27, 2010 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable collection of essays by women on being alone in the wilderness.
Rae
Oct 29, 2009 Rae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who travel alone or are scared to travel alone, probably men too.
I found this book on the young adult bookshelf at the local thrift store. It is not a young adult book.

I'll admit, I was so excited about it that I stopped reading the other book I was in the middle of and started reading this one. Unfortunately, the women in these stories only somewhat represent my solo travel experiences as they often aren't actually traveling alone and they travel in their own cars (instead of hitching/riding trains/biking/walking, etc.) However, I really liked the themes of
lee lee
Jan 11, 2011 lee lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sentimental wilderness femmes
Recommended to lee lee by: Katie Fraser
Shelves: 2011
I liked several of the essays in this book, but I agree with some of the other reviewers that may of these women are melodramatic. Over-analyzing is really only interesting to me when the writer knows she's overdoing it, and I really didn't see that in any of these writers. Perhaps being in the wilderness affects your writing style in this way! If I hadn't of had to finish this for my 52-books challenge, I certainly would've put it down a long time ago. Of course, that could also be due to the p ...more
Kati
Aug 26, 2009 Kati rated it liked it
Best essay in the book: an account of a trek in Nepal. Worst essay in the book: a young woman who dumps her boyfriend and drives west to find herself and read into everything too much.

Other stand-outs: the account of Iditasport in Alaska, and the woman who talked about losing the audience in her head during her first solo back-packing trip. Overall, a very good book. It's wedging the travel itch deeper within me.
Katie
Feb 12, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I haven't read this in years either, but I remember this little book of essays making me happy. It is about women in the wilderness, and makes me miss my mountains. One of the stories even takes place not far from where I grew up. I love memoirs and essays that explore a person's connection with a place -- this book combines both of those elements and thus was a delight for me to read.
Keli Wright
I found this on my boss Julia's bookshelf so I read it.. It was some interesting stories about women doing stuff by themselves.. It was interesting but not very interesting.. like OK you are a feminist and you have gone against the norm and done something by yourself.. I am proud of you.. now moving on..
Sandra Krajeski
Nov 23, 2015 Sandra Krajeski rated it really liked it
I've read this collection of essays cover to cover many times. Each time I experience it in a different way depending on where I am in my own life journey. first read it before the birth of my first child on my own solo trip and now years later the writers' stories speak to me on a completely different level. A book that grows with you.
Lindsey
Jul 05, 2012 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wilderness
What a collection of stories of women on a myriad of solo adventures--hiking, camping, bodyboarding, flying, sailing, road tripping, and more. I'm inspired. I'm filled with love for strong women. I feel supported to be independent. Solo trip 2016, here I come!
Lisa
May 30, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
This is a book of short stories written by women who go on their own solo adventure. The adventures differ: kayaking, hiking, backpacking, road-tripping, etc. Some stories were fantastic, some were so-so, and a slim few were not so interesting. Happy to be moving on to another book.
Maria
Jun 22, 2007 Maria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any woman or man who needs an inspiring story about empowered women in the wilderness
Shelves: stories, adventures
This book holds a collection of amazing stories about Women. Each story is different from the next covering a wide meaning of the word: solo. I read this at a time when I needed encouragement and I found it in these women's words!
Danielle
Oct 13, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
I love how each woman shows our connection to the natural world. Some essays I liked better than others but that was mostly relatability to her sport. A lot of truth in their words.
Susan
Oct 14, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Really great essays from women who "go it alone" in various adventure settings. Rich insights, strong reflections, beautiful imagery.
Deb Weina
Aug 07, 2011 Deb Weina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short stories of women going out on their own adventures to challenge themselves. AWESOME book!
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Littlecinnamon
Littlecinnamon rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2007
Lindsey Loberg
Lindsey Loberg rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2015
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2008
Jolene
Jolene rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2009
Jamie Cuaresma
Jamie Cuaresma rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Amanda Sengstacken
Amanda Sengstacken rated it really liked it
May 27, 2013
Claudia
Claudia rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Michelle Craig
Michelle Craig rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2007
alissa
alissa rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2008
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
anne
anne rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2008
Kris Lynch
Kris Lynch rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Chicken Soup for the Traveler's Soul: Stories of Adventure, Inspiration and Insight to Celebrate the Spirit of Travel (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Point Last Seen: A Woman Tracker's Story
  • Etiquette Guide to Japan: Know the Rules That Make the Difference!
  • Postcards from France
  • Climbing Free: My Life in the Vertical World
  • The Best American Short Stories 1998
  • New York
  • French By Heart: An American Family's Adventures in La Belle France
  • Fried Eggs with Chopsticks: One Woman's Hilarious Adventure into a Country and a Culture Not Her Own
I am the author of MY REACH: A HUDSON RIVER MEMOIR, to be published by Cornell University Press in September 2011. In this memoir, I explore the Hudson River from my kayak. As I encounter snapping turtles and great blue heron, visit crumbling ice houses and cement factories, you will learn about the rich natural and built history of this river. In the process I also tell my own story of family and ...more
More about Susan Fox Rogers...