Start by marking “The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun: A Mayan Tale of Ecstasy, Time, and Finding One's True Form” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Disobedience of th...
Martin Prechtel

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Author and illustrator Martín Prechtel is internationally known for his explorations of ancient folklore and uncovering the lessons therein for modern readers. In The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun, he revives a hitherto unknown Guatemalan Tzutujil Mayan tale of the beginnings of the world with a poetic retelling of the story, 28 evocative drawings, and a critical ...more
Published July 22nd 2005 by North Atlantic Books

To ask other readers questions about The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun

yes, yes, yes. like crystals of tree sap melting in the hot sun, then cooling and hardening again into jewels from spring rain this book is all that and back again.
Will Szal
Half of this book is a fable or a myth, and the other half is analysis.

I didn't really like the fable that much at face value. It was mean. I like stories like the beginning of "The Hobbit," when everyone's sitting around in the shire, drinking tea and tending their gardens. I don't really like stories of pain and adventure as much. So I had some trouble with this story.

But then the analysis is what makes it for me. It's absolutely beautiful! Martin chose to take a look at five layers. It makes
Beautiful story, glimpse into mystery, charming drawings, insightful explanations and a touch of humour - this is the best description I could give to this book. Martin Prechtel is a wonderful storyteller and his drawings are enhancing the magic he shares with the reader.
Sep 13, 2009 Kacie is currently reading it
Martin teaches Bolad's Litchen in NM, where some friends go. Trying to get a feel for his ideas.
Letecia Layson
Love on so many levels - deep cycles of time. Reading this book was balm to my aching heart.
Essa Merchanttiger
Love all his books!!! Amazing writer!!
if there is a rule . i do not read books more than once .... i have started this one again immediately .....this is a Mayan story containing many of the beliefs they have about how our world is structured . it has cast our own fairy tales , which have hung on by a thread in another light . i am also drawn to re read my European fairy tales .... a wonderful book
I love Pretchel's tales of his life with the indigenous Tzutujil Mayan in Guatemala... I've since heard, not surprisingly, that he is a very controversial figure. So be it. His story (embellished, biased, whatever) is a great lovely adventure, filled with magic, shamanism and spirit. Beautiful. I've read all his books and wish there were a dozen more...
Samuel Stevenson
The storytelling tradition this book embodies is one my soul longs for and my voice looks towards the way a lake looks to the moon.

It begins with a traditional Mayan teaching story. Then, Martin guides the reader/listener(s) through several layers of meaning, facilitating a journey into a bottomless world of the most integritous metaphor.
A Mayan tale, told four different ways, revealing wisdom from this ancient earth culture... if you are paying attention and opening your heart. Martin Prechtel is a true poet. Delicious and eloquent are his words. Extremely fortunate are we to hear these stories passed on. Best if read out loud and several times over...
I love the ideas in Martin Prechtel's books. However, I found the writing in this book to be really difficult to get through. If you haven't read any of Prechtel's books yet, start with The Secrets of the Talking Jaguar, which clearly had a better editor!
Angela Kirby
Beautifully written. Martin Prechtel is amazing. You know the age old question, who would you invite to dinner, dead or alive? Martin would most definitely be on my list.
I love all of Martin Prectel's books. This one I read after I read the trilogy. It was a nice follow up. I recommend reading his other 3 books first.
One of the most beautiful books I've ever read.
Jul 12, 2009 Wood added it
Beautiful and heartbreaking. A story meant to feed more than entertainment, a deep digging tale to pull up a passion for life, your everyday wonderfully "mundane" life.
Theresa marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Nick Ronzi
Nick Ronzi marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Phoenix is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2015
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Josh Stroud
Josh Stroud marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Stargazer marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Iris Schechter
Iris Schechter marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Ashley (JaffaCaffa)
Ashley (JaffaCaffa) marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Shama Nandji
Shama Nandji marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Marie is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2015
Jennifer Hutsell
Jennifer Hutsell marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
  • The Fruitful Darkness: A Journey Through Buddhist Practice and Tribal Wisdom
  • Shakti Mantras: Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within
  • Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects Us from What Really Matters
  • Winter Blues: Everything You Need to Know to Beat Seasonal Affective Disorder
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words
  • Unattended Sorrow: Recovering from Loss and Reviving the Heart
  • The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind
  • Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros
  • Nina Hartley's Guide to Total Sex
  • Spiritual Nutrition: Six Foundations for Spiritual Life and the Awakening of Kundalini
  • Shadow Dance
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • Rolling Thunder
  • Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
A master of eloquence and innovative language, Martín Prechtel is a leading thinker, writer and teacher whose work, both written and oral, hopes to promote the subtlety, irony and pre-modern vitality hidden in any living language. As a half blood Native American with a Pueblo Indian upbringing, his life took him from New Mexico to the village of Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala. There becoming a full v ...more
More about Martin Prechtel...
Secrets of the Talking Jaguar Long Life, Honey in the Heart The Toe Bone and the Tooth: An Ancient Mayan Story Relived in Modern Times: Leaving Home to Come Home The Unlikely Peace at Cuchumaquic: The Parallel Lives of People as Plants: Keeping the Seeds Alive Stealing Benefacio's Roses