The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun: A Mayan Tale of Ecstasy, Time, and Finding One's True Form

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Author and illustrator Martín Prechtel is internationally known for his explorations of ancient folklore and uncovering the lessons therein for modern readers. In The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun, he revives a hitherto unknown Guatemalan Tzutujil Mayan tale of the beginnings of the world with a poetic retelling of the story, 28 evocative drawings, and a critical...more
Published July 22nd 2005 by North Atlantic Books

Jen
yes, yes, yes. like crystals of tree sap melting in the hot sun, then cooling and hardening again into jewels from spring rain this book is all that and back again.
Elena
Beautiful story, glimpse into mystery, charming drawings, insightful explanations and a touch of humour - this is the best description I could give to this book. Martin Prechtel is a wonderful storyteller and his drawings are enhancing the magic he shares with the reader.
Essa Merchanttiger
Love all his books!!! Amazing writer!!
Sarahscarlet
if there is a rule . i do not read books more than once .... i have started this one again immediately .....this is a Mayan story containing many of the beliefs they have about how our world is structured . it has cast our own fairy tales , which have hung on by a thread in another light . i am also drawn to re read my European fairy tales .... a wonderful book
Hope
I love Pretchel's tales of his life with the indigenous Tzutujil Mayan in Guatemala... I've since heard, not surprisingly, that he is a very controversial figure. So be it. His story (embellished, biased, whatever) is a great lovely adventure, filled with magic, shamanism and spirit. Beautiful. I've read all his books and wish there were a dozen more...
Samuel Stevenson
The storytelling tradition this book embodies is one my soul longs for and my voice looks towards the way a lake looks to the moon.

It begins with a traditional Mayan teaching story. Then, Martin guides the reader/listener(s) through several layers of meaning, facilitating a journey into a bottomless world of the most integritous metaphor.
Taylor
A Mayan tale, told four different ways, revealing wisdom from this ancient earth culture... if you are paying attention and opening your heart. Martin Prechtel is a true poet. Delicious and eloquent are his words. Extremely fortunate are we to hear these stories passed on. Best if read out loud and several times over...
Miriam
I love the ideas in Martin Prechtel's books. However, I found the writing in this book to be really difficult to get through. If you haven't read any of Prechtel's books yet, start with The Secrets of the Talking Jaguar, which clearly had a better editor!
Angela Kirby
Beautifully written. Martin Prechtel is amazing. You know the age old question, who would you invite to dinner, dead or alive? Martin would most definitely be on my list.
David
I love all of Martin Prectel's books. This one I read after I read the trilogy. It was a nice follow up. I recommend reading his other 3 books first.
Kacie
Sep 13, 2009 Kacie is currently reading it
Martin teaches Bolad's Litchen in NM, where some friends go. Trying to get a feel for his ideas.
Letecia Layson
Love on so many levels - deep cycles of time. Reading this book was balm to my aching heart.
Noelle
One of the most beautiful books I've ever read.
Wood
Jul 12, 2009 Wood added it
Beautiful and heartbreaking. A story meant to feed more than entertainment, a deep digging tale to pull up a passion for life, your everyday wonderfully "mundane" life.
Will Szal
Will Szal marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Turquoise
Turquoise is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Xhulia
Xhulia marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Jenny Ferry
Jenny Ferry marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Colleen  D
Colleen D marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
209385
A master of eloquence and innovative language, Martín Prechtel is a leading thinker, writer and teacher whose work, both written and oral, hopes to promote the subtlety, irony and pre-modern vitality hidden in any living language. As a half blood Native American with a Pueblo Indian upbringing, his life took him from New Mexico to the village of Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala. There becoming a full v...more
More about Martin Prechtel...
Secrets of the Talking Jaguar Long Life, Honey in the Heart The Toe Bone and the Tooth: An Ancient Mayan Story Relived in Modern Times: Leaving Home to Come Home The Unlikely Peace at Cuchumaquic: The Parallel Lives of People as Plants: Keeping the Seeds Alive Stealing Benefacio's Roses