Start by marking “The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun: A Mayan Tale of Ecstasy, Time, and Finding One's True Form” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Disobedience of th...

Martin Prechtel

Author and illustrator Martín Prechtel is internationally known for his explorations of ancient folklore and uncovering the lessons therein for modern readers. In The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun, he revives a hitherto unknown Guatemalan Tzutujil Mayan tale of the beginnings of the world with a poetic retelling of the story, 28 evocative drawings, and a critical ...more
Published July 22nd 2005 by North Atlantic Books

To ask other readers questions about The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun

Jen
Jun 09, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
yes, yes, yes. like crystals of tree sap melting in the hot sun, then cooling and hardening again into jewels from spring rain this book is all that and back again.
Elena
Mar 13, 2013 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-stuff
Beautiful story, glimpse into mystery, charming drawings, insightful explanations and a touch of humour - this is the best description I could give to this book. Martin Prechtel is a wonderful storyteller and his drawings are enhancing the magic he shares with the reader.
Letecia Layson
Aug 11, 2008 Letecia Layson rated it it was amazing
Love on so many levels - deep cycles of time. Reading this book was balm to my aching heart.
Kacie
Sep 13, 2009 Kacie is currently reading it
Martin teaches Bolad's Litchen in NM, where some friends go. Trying to get a feel for his ideas.
Will Szal
Jan 30, 2015 Will Szal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Half of this book is a fable or a myth, and the other half is analysis.

I didn't really like the fable that much at face value. It was mean. I like stories like the beginning of "The Hobbit," when everyone's sitting around in the shire, drinking tea and tending their gardens. I don't really like stories of pain and adventure as much. So I had some trouble with this story.

But then the analysis is what makes it for me. It's absolutely beautiful! Martin chose to take a look at five layers. It makes
Sarahscarlet
Aug 10, 2011 Sarahscarlet rated it it was amazing
if there is a rule . i do not read books more than once .... i have started this one again immediately .....this is a Mayan story containing many of the beliefs they have about how our world is structured . it has cast our own fairy tales , which have hung on by a thread in another light . i am also drawn to re read my European fairy tales .... a wonderful book
Taylor
May 11, 2008 Taylor rated it it was amazing
A Mayan tale, told four different ways, revealing wisdom from this ancient earth culture... if you are paying attention and opening your heart. Martin Prechtel is a true poet. Delicious and eloquent are his words. Extremely fortunate are we to hear these stories passed on. Best if read out loud and several times over...
Hope
I love Pretchel's tales of his life with the indigenous Tzutujil Mayan in Guatemala... I've since heard, not surprisingly, that he is a very controversial figure. So be it. His story (embellished, biased, whatever) is a great lovely adventure, filled with magic, shamanism and spirit. Beautiful. I've read all his books and wish there were a dozen more...
Samuel Stevenson
Mar 02, 2008 Samuel Stevenson rated it it was amazing
The storytelling tradition this book embodies is one my soul longs for and my voice looks towards the way a lake looks to the moon.

It begins with a traditional Mayan teaching story. Then, Martin guides the reader/listener(s) through several layers of meaning, facilitating a journey into a bottomless world of the most integritous metaphor.
Miriam
Dec 10, 2013 Miriam rated it liked it
I love the ideas in Martin Prechtel's books. However, I found the writing in this book to be really difficult to get through. If you haven't read any of Prechtel's books yet, start with The Secrets of the Talking Jaguar, which clearly had a better editor!
David
Oct 02, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Martin Prectel's books. This one I read after I read the trilogy. It was a nice follow up. I recommend reading his other 3 books first.
Angela Kirby
Nov 01, 2011 Angela Kirby rated it really liked it
Beautifully written. Martin Prechtel is amazing. You know the age old question, who would you invite to dinner, dead or alive? Martin would most definitely be on my list.
Wood
Jul 12, 2009 Wood added it
Beautiful and heartbreaking. A story meant to feed more than entertainment, a deep digging tale to pull up a passion for life, your everyday wonderfully "mundane" life.
Nathalie
Nathalie rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2007
Teressa Rose
Teressa Rose rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2015
Becky Austill-Clausen
Becky Austill-Clausen rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
RowanP
RowanP rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
miha ha
miha ha rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Griz Greenpaw
Griz Greenpaw rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Eben Mishkin
Eben Mishkin rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Samantha Richardson
Samantha Richardson rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Rashauna
Rashauna rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2011
Timothy Hobin
Timothy Hobin rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Noelle
Dec 04, 2008 Noelle rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful books I've ever read.
Shane
Shane rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Marytere Farell
Marytere Farell rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2012
Kytka Hilmar-Jezek
Kytka Hilmar-Jezek rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2011
Lethe
Lethe rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • Embracing the Beloved: Relationship as a Path of Awakening
  • Die Wise: A Manifesto for Sanity and Soul
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
  • The Fruitful Darkness: A Journey Through Buddhist Practice and Tribal Wisdom
  • Shakti Mantras: Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within
  • Spiritual Nutrition: Six Foundations for Spiritual Life and the Awakening of Kundalini
  • Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words
  • Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects Us from What Really Matters
  • Winter Blues: Everything You Need to Know to Beat Seasonal Affective Disorder
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • Shadow Dance
  • If You're Afraid of the Dark, Remember the Night Rainbow
209385
A master of eloquence and innovative language, Martín Prechtel is a leading thinker, writer and teacher whose work, both written and oral, hopes to promote the subtlety, irony and pre-modern vitality hidden in any living language. As a half blood Native American with a Pueblo Indian upbringing, his life took him from New Mexico to the village of Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala. There becoming a full v ...more
More about Martin Prechtel...

“Though at some point your daughter's desire may drive her, like the Tall Girl speaking beautiful words to her short, unseen lover, to read the poems of thirteenth century, ecstatic Persians out loud to the lonely walls of her bedroom in secret hopes that some lover would mistake her for God and come in through the eaves, it could be that somewhat later when the harshness of the jealous world has taken her tenderness apart, it will be her art, her poetry, her desire to be seen as someone who "sees" that will reassemble her into a real person with a grief-tempered joy in one eye and a fierce compassion in the other.” 0 likes
“The story tells us that living the life of an artist is not as useful as living our lives as a work of art.” 0 likes