Take Flight!

Take Flight! (Sisterchicks)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Dig In, Soar Up!
Spread your wings and really go places with "Take Flight," the first devotional/ponder/prayer/make-it-what-you-need book in the Sisterchicks in the Word series! Robin Jones Gunn and her Sisterchick, Cindy Hannan, offer a collection of fresh, insightful devotions that will rejuvenate the quiet time gone dry. Along with key Scripture verses, they kick in tra...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Multnomah Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Take Flight!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Flight!

Stacie Wyatt
I read Take Flight! (Sisterchicks in the Word) in exchange for review from Blogging for Books. I received a hardback for review.

I been reading Take Flight for a few weeks. The book is very inspirational. The book is a devotional. The first part of each section contains a devotional, an exercise, a word of wisdom, and suggestions.

For example, the first chapter discusses Sunset Worship, written by Robin Jones Gunn. She discussed how she saw a beautiful sunset and felt inclined to worship and prais...more
Rebecca
I have never read any of the Sisterchicks books, but I saw this devotional on the Blogging for Books site and decided to try it. This devotional is different from others I have seen, and I really enjoyed it.
There are four sections, each containing either three or four chapters. The chapters are short, ten or so pages, so you can pick up wherever you left off when you have a few minutes to spare. Robin Jones Gunn tells a story about her life or others and then Cindy Hannan follows up with relatin...more
Donna
"Ah, grace. Grace that would bid us fly and give us wings! What a welcoming image - being set free to become all God intended and to soar through life." Thus begins this wonderful Sisterchick devotional. Does this statement mean there will never be trouble in our lives? No, but it points to the grace of God that can get us through anything.

Devotional readings are meant to inspire, instruct, and illuminate our lives. They are meant to give us help to be better in every aspect of our lives. "Take...more
Teela
I received A Sisterchicks Devotional TAKE FLIGHT
http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/result... by Robin Jones Gunn and Cindy Hannan and could not put this down. It just hit home with me as I'm sure it will with so many others. Robin, a gifted author for many years, shares Bible verses, stories & pieces of her life and heart just as if she knew we were sisterchicks A sisterchick by definition: a friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and provides a reality che...more
Deanna Silva
WaterBrook Multnomah provided a complimentary copy of A Sisterchicks' Devotional: Take Flight! by Robin Jones Gunn and Cindy Hannan in exchange for an honest review.
What is a Sisterchick? This is the friend that does life with you. The friends that love you so much they are willing to tell you when you're wrong (of course, in the nicest way possible). They accept you, flaws and all, loving you just the same. These are the friends that will squabble with you and laugh with you and maybe, sometim...more
Karen
A sweet and encouraging devotional book. Nothing too strenuous but full of encouragement. The stories contributed by Robin Jones Gunn and the application provided by her co-author, Cindy Hannan, are all fantastic.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review but the book, honestly, sat on my bedside table for several days before I picked it up. Sometimes God uses our procrastination to bless us - as it turns out, I started reading this book right when...more
Crystal Scott
Are you looking for a great devotional that gives you more than a verse and an explanation? Well look no more because I have found the perfect devotional for you. Take Flight A Sisterchicks Devotional written by Robin Jones Gunn and her sisterchick Cindy Hannan.

What is a “Sisterchick” you ask? A “Sisterchick” is a friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and provides a reality check when you’re being a brat. Don’t we all need one of those??? I would definitel...more
Donna
I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Company in exchange for an honest review.

But I had no idea how much it would touch my soul - I'm glad they don't expect the book to be returned (with all the tear-stained pages).

On a lighter note, I loved all the flight references: preflight prep, birds-eye view, on a wing and a prayer - it was so much fun!

The first section opens with grace -God's Grace - which is what makes life worth living.

"If we cannot believe God when circumst...more
BONDing over BOOKS
TAKE FLIGHT - Sisterchicks in the word by Robin Jones Gunn & Cindy Hannan is a Christian devotional book for women where you can find examples of God's grace, as well as answers to questions about life experiences through ordinary stories and relatable Biblical verses. The kind of experiences where "women can open their hearts to each other" (p.7) and hear the God-centered answers that "nudge" them into deeper reflections.
**Sorry guys, this one is for the ladies. We're not saying that there...more
Karen
I've read many, many devotionals and they all seem to follow the same makeup. Example: Daily Bible reading a few words and maybe a paragraph or two. It’s not a bad thing, but after a while it can get a little boring.
I have had the pleasure of reading/reviewing this Devotional and it was NOT like most.
It will deepen your walk with the Lord on a daily basis and gives strength to ones prayer life. You will find beautiful Scripture for every life experience, plenty of wisdom, and of course a beautif...more
Nordyke Academy
This is the best devotional ever!!

I LOVE this devotional!! It will uplift you on days when you are feeling down.
This devotional is like no other. It is deep, different, and fun.
This devotional comes straight from Robin's nest and Cindy's perch,
there is a collection of verses, key Scripture, insightful devotions, and
best of all wit and wisdom and Sisterchickin' suggestions.
There is also space to write your thoughts or prayers too.

I believe while I was reading I took flight along with these Sister...more
Hope
I received a copy from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Company in exchange for an unbiased review.

I enjoy a good devotional as much as the next Christian, but oh what a journey in these pages! Robin and Cindy work together in such harmony to create inspiration through God's word and experience.

Here's what to expect: Robin will start a section with a story of grace, Cindy then summarizes while seeking out the deeper meaning of 'what did we learn from the story class?' There are three scriptures...more
Jody
I love devotionals and this one was no different. I love Robin Jones Gunn too aka author of the sister chicks books, (SISTERCHICK® n.: a friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and provides a reality check when you’re being a brat. ) so that even made it that much more fun to read and enjoy.

I enjoy the part at the end of each chapter where you are given a topic and a bible verse to look up and read. Then your given an area in the back of that devotion for y...more
Leah
A devotional written by Robin Jones Gunn and Cindy Hannan based on Gunn's popular Sisterchicks Series. Gunn starts off each section with a short story relating to the theme and then Hannan wraps everything up with the theological portion. They included Bible verses, quotes from real life Sisterchicks, and quotes from the series itself. If you're a fan of the Sisterchick Series or just Robin Jones Gunn's writing in general and looking for a new devotional this is a good one to get.

I read this boo...more
Lisa
Robin Jones Gunn, bestselling author, wrote the Sisterchick Series and the Christy Miller Series. You can read the complete list of her books at her website here.

Take Flight includes fourteen devotions about grace to be all God intended us to be. Scripture, quotes, photographs, and encouragement to act interweave into the message. This volume does what devotionals do well, challenges.

The pages encourage in a gentle and loving way like meeting a friend for tea on a cool morning.

That to me is a we...more
Jenna
This book was not only inspirational for me but I can honestly say it was God's gift to me. I've read so many devos before but this one hit me in the most timely way. I read so much of the things that I needed to hear. It's such an amazing experience how God uses people to write stuffs like this and people read what God is actually telling them, comforting messages or promises, etc.

I got this book for free and with no bias do I say how fun and interesting my journey with this devo is :)
Bethany
I have always enjoyed and appreciated Robin Jones Gunn's books and I was delighted to read the devotional by her and Cindy Hannan.
Usually I am not a huge devotional person,but this was a fresh,interesting devotional full of lots of great life lessons and examples from both women and I really found it encouraging. This was a quick read, not a super big book, but it just what one needs to refresh the soul!
This book would make a great gift for a friend or for any females in your life!
JoJo Sutis
I love this devotional! Robin & Cindy speak right to the heart through the stories, Bible insights, Wit & Whimsy's they share in Take Flight! I love the Sisterchicks theme that runs throughout the book. Fans of Robins UBER-popular series will not want to miss this devotional. I love the quotes from my fave characters from the series and the photos that RJG shares in the book. This devotional inspires me so much! I love love love it:)
Margaret
This was a great devotional book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the stories from the authors own lives and/or experiences as well as the scripture references and ideas for taking the devotions a step further. Full of sadness as well as humor, I found this to be very uplifting reading! I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.
wonderful book, the only "negative" is that one should purchase the book. It's not only difficult to give back, and encourages more introspection/disussion.
Michelle Pritchard
Great devotional. I really liked both writers perspectives on things. Great for a sisterchick book club or church group.
Julie
One of the best Devotionals I've ever read. I'm going to start looking for more books the author has written! :)
Rene
Feb 13, 2010 Rene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: gunn
devotional - not long enough
Great addition to the series.
Pat-mealissa
Great deotional book!
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
41954
ROBIN JONES GUNN is the much loved author of over 85 books. With nearly 5 million copies of her titles sold worldwide, her popular Christy Miller series now continues in Christy & Todd: The Married Years. Her novels and non-fiction works have received multiple awards and are a favorite with book clubs and study groups. Robin and her husband have a grown son and daughter and live in Hawaii.
More about Robin Jones Gunn...
Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 1 (Christy Miller, #1-3) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 2 (Christy Miller, #4-6) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 3 (Christy Miller, #7-9) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 4 (Christy Miller, #10-12) Until Tomorrow (Christy and Todd: College Years #1)

“By definition, a 'Sisterchick' is a 'friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and gives you a reality check when you're being a brat.” 4 likes