Start by marking “Take Flight!” as Want to Read:
Take Flight!

Take Flight! (Sisterchicks)

Dig In, Soar Up!

Spread your wings and really go places with Take Flight , the first devotional/ponder/prayer/make-it-what-you-need book in the Sisterchicks in the Word series! Robin Jones Gunn and her Sisterchick, Cindy Hannan, offer a collection of fresh, insightful devotions that will rejuvenate the quiet time gone dry. Along with key Scripture verses, they kick in trav
Published October 16th 2006 by Multnomah (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Take Flight!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Flight!

Sunflower
May 30, 2015 Sunflower rated it it was amazing
My first impression of "Take Flight" was the fact that this isn't the "usual devotional book" that I normally would read or review.

The writing is best described like a series of encouraging notes and letters that reminds me of texts and emails, good friends would send to each other to give each other a much needed pick me up.

Scriptural based and filled with the occasional journal options to explore bible passages deeper, I was impressed both by the fact that we are not talking about a deep or b
Misty Nordyke
Dec 23, 2014 Misty Nordyke rated it it was amazing
This is the best devotional ever!!

I LOVE this devotional!! It will uplift you on days when you are feeling down.
This devotional is like no other. It is deep, different, and fun.
This devotional comes straight from Robin's nest and Cindy's perch,
there is a collection of verses, key Scripture, insightful devotions, and
best of all wit and wisdom and Sisterchickin' suggestions.
There is also space to write your thoughts or prayers too.

I believe while I was reading I took flight along with these
Stacie Wyatt
I read Take Flight! (Sisterchicks in the Word) in exchange for review from Blogging for Books. I received a hardback for review.

I been reading Take Flight for a few weeks. The book is very inspirational. The book is a devotional. The first part of each section contains a devotional, an exercise, a word of wisdom, and suggestions.

For example, the first chapter discusses Sunset Worship, written by Robin Jones Gunn. She discussed how she saw a beautiful sunset and felt inclined to worship and prais
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I have never read any of the Sisterchicks books, but I saw this devotional on the Blogging for Books site and decided to try it. This devotional is different from others I have seen, and I really enjoyed it.
There are four sections, each containing either three or four chapters. The chapters are short, ten or so pages, so you can pick up wherever you left off when you have a few minutes to spare. Robin Jones Gunn tells a story about her life or others and then Cindy Hannan follows up with relatin
Donna
Nov 23, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
"Ah, grace. Grace that would bid us fly and give us wings! What a welcoming image - being set free to become all God intended and to soar through life." Thus begins this wonderful Sisterchick devotional. Does this statement mean there will never be trouble in our lives? No, but it points to the grace of God that can get us through anything.

Devotional readings are meant to inspire, instruct, and illuminate our lives. They are meant to give us help to be better in every aspect of our lives. "Take
Teela
Aug 22, 2013 Teela rated it it was amazing
I received A Sisterchicks Devotional TAKE FLIGHT
http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/result... by Robin Jones Gunn and Cindy Hannan and could not put this down. It just hit home with me as I'm sure it will with so many others. Robin, a gifted author for many years, shares Bible verses, stories & pieces of her life and heart just as if she knew we were sisterchicks A sisterchick by definition: a friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and provides a reality che
Deanna Silva
Aug 22, 2013 Deanna Silva rated it really liked it
WaterBrook Multnomah provided a complimentary copy of A Sisterchicks' Devotional: Take Flight! by Robin Jones Gunn and Cindy Hannan in exchange for an honest review.
What is a Sisterchick? This is the friend that does life with you. The friends that love you so much they are willing to tell you when you're wrong (of course, in the nicest way possible). They accept you, flaws and all, loving you just the same. These are the friends that will squabble with you and laugh with you and maybe, sometim
Karen
Sep 07, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
A sweet and encouraging devotional book. Nothing too strenuous but full of encouragement. The stories contributed by Robin Jones Gunn and the application provided by her co-author, Cindy Hannan, are all fantastic.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review but the book, honestly, sat on my bedside table for several days before I picked it up. Sometimes God uses our procrastination to bless us - as it turns out, I started reading this book right when
Crystal Scott
Nov 27, 2013 Crystal Scott rated it it was amazing
Are you looking for a great devotional that gives you more than a verse and an explanation? Well look no more because I have found the perfect devotional for you. Take Flight A Sisterchicks Devotional written by Robin Jones Gunn and her sisterchick Cindy Hannan.

What is a “Sisterchick” you ask? A “Sisterchick” is a friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and provides a reality check when you’re being a brat. Don’t we all need one of those??? I would definitel
D.J.
Sep 16, 2013 D.J. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Company in exchange for an honest review.

But I had no idea how much it would touch my soul - I'm glad they don't expect the book to be returned (with all the tear-stained pages).

On a lighter note, I loved all the flight references: preflight prep, birds-eye view, on a wing and a prayer - it was so much fun!

The first section opens with grace -God's Grace - which is what makes life worth living.

"If we cannot believe God when circumst
BONDing over BOOKS
Oct 21, 2013 BONDing over BOOKS rated it liked it
TAKE FLIGHT - Sisterchicks in the word by Robin Jones Gunn & Cindy Hannan is a Christian devotional book for women where you can find examples of God's grace, as well as answers to questions about life experiences through ordinary stories and relatable Biblical verses. The kind of experiences where "women can open their hearts to each other" (p.7) and hear the God-centered answers that "nudge" them into deeper reflections.
**Sorry guys, this one is for the ladies. We're not saying that there
Karen
Sep 05, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I've read many, many devotionals and they all seem to follow the same makeup. Example: Daily Bible reading a few words and maybe a paragraph or two. It’s not a bad thing, but after a while it can get a little boring.
I have had the pleasure of reading/reviewing this Devotional and it was NOT like most.
It will deepen your walk with the Lord on a daily basis and gives strength to ones prayer life. You will find beautiful Scripture for every life experience, plenty of wisdom, and of course a beautif
Hope
Oct 10, 2013 Hope rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Company in exchange for an unbiased review.

I enjoy a good devotional as much as the next Christian, but oh what a journey in these pages! Robin and Cindy work together in such harmony to create inspiration through God's word and experience.

Here's what to expect: Robin will start a section with a story of grace, Cindy then summarizes while seeking out the deeper meaning of 'what did we learn from the story class?' There are three scriptures
Jody
Oct 21, 2013 Jody rated it it was amazing
I love devotionals and this one was no different. I love Robin Jones Gunn too aka author of the sister chicks books, (SISTERCHICK n.: a friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and provides a reality check when you’re being a brat. ) so that even made it that much more fun to read and enjoy.

I enjoy the part at the end of each chapter where you are given a topic and a bible verse to look up and read. Then your given an area in the back of that devotion for yo
Leah
A devotional written by Robin Jones Gunn and Cindy Hannan based on Gunn's popular Sisterchicks Series. Gunn starts off each section with a short story relating to the theme and then Hannan wraps everything up with the theological portion. They included Bible verses, quotes from real life Sisterchicks, and quotes from the series itself. If you're a fan of the Sisterchick Series or just Robin Jones Gunn's writing in general and looking for a new devotional this is a good one to get.

I read this boo
Lisa
Oct 27, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Robin Jones Gunn, bestselling author, wrote the Sisterchick Series and the Christy Miller Series. You can read the complete list of her books at her website here.

Take Flight includes fourteen devotions about grace to be all God intended us to be. Scripture, quotes, photographs, and encouragement to act interweave into the message. This volume does what devotionals do well, challenges.

The pages encourage in a gentle and loving way like meeting a friend for tea on a cool morning.

That to me is a we
Jenna
Sep 09, 2016 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
This book was not only inspirational for me but I can honestly say it was God's gift to me. I've read so many devos before but this one hit me in the most timely way. I read so much of the things that I needed to hear. It's such an amazing experience how God uses people to write stuffs like this and people read what God is actually telling them, comforting messages or promises, etc.

I got this book for free and with no bias do I say how fun and interesting my journey with this devo is :)
Bethany
Oct 14, 2013 Bethany rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed and appreciated Robin Jones Gunn's books and I was delighted to read the devotional by her and Cindy Hannan.
Usually I am not a huge devotional person,but this was a fresh,interesting devotional full of lots of great life lessons and examples from both women and I really found it encouraging. This was a quick read, not a super big book, but it just what one needs to refresh the soul!
This book would make a great gift for a friend or for any females in your life!
JoJo Sutis
Sep 14, 2013 JoJo Sutis rated it it was amazing
I love this devotional! Robin & Cindy speak right to the heart through the stories, Bible insights, Wit & Whimsy's they share in Take Flight! I love the Sisterchicks theme that runs throughout the book. Fans of Robins UBER-popular series will not want to miss this devotional. I love the quotes from my fave characters from the series and the photos that RJG shares in the book. This devotional inspires me so much! I love love love it:)
Margaret
Oct 22, 2013 Margaret rated it really liked it
This was a great devotional book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the stories from the authors own lives and/or experiences as well as the scripture references and ideas for taking the devotions a step further. Full of sadness as well as humor, I found this to be very uplifting reading! I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.
Mar 22, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
wonderful book, the only "negative" is that one should purchase the book. It's not only difficult to give back, and encourages more introspection/disussion.
Michelle Pritchard
Aug 05, 2009 Michelle Pritchard rated it it was amazing
Great devotional. I really liked both writers perspectives on things. Great for a sisterchick book club or church group.
Amanda
May 30, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Cute book. The stories were inspirational. Nothing super out of the ordinary, but an enjoyable devotional book.
Julie
Dec 18, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
One of the best Devotionals I've ever read. I'm going to start looking for more books the author has written! :)
Karen Painter
Oct 16, 2013 Karen Painter rated it it was amazing
Rene
Feb 13, 2010 Rene rated it really liked it
Shelves: gunn
devotional - not long enough
Mar 08, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Great addition to the series.
Pat-mealissa
Jan 17, 2010 Pat-mealissa rated it really liked it
Great deotional book!
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
  • The Power of Being Positive: Enjoying God Forever
  • Trusting God: A Girlfriends in God Faith Adventure
  • The Sun Zebra
  • A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery #5)
  • Keeping a Princess Heart: In a Not-So-Fairy-Tale World
  • Breathe: Creating Space for God in a Hectic Life
  • Believer's Bible Commentary
  • Holy Bible: NIV Teen Study Bible, Revised (New International Version)
  • The Cat That God Sent
  • Finding the Baby Jesus
  • Goodnight, Brian
  • When God Intervenes: An Extraordinary Story of Faith, Hope, and the Power of Prayer
  • A Taste of Fame (Potluck Catering Club #2)
  • 17 Cents and a Dream
  • Taylor's Gift: A Courageous Story of Giving Life and Renewing Hope
  • Stand by Me
  • The Survivor (Families of Honor #3)
  • Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice
41954
ROBIN JONES GUNN is the much loved author of over 85 books. With nearly 5 million copies of her titles sold worldwide, her popular Christy Miller series now continues in Christy & Todd: The Married Years. Her novels and non-fiction works have received multiple awards and are a favorite with book clubs and study groups. Robin and her husband have a grown son and daughter and live in Hawaii.
More about Robin Jones Gunn...

Sisterchicks (9 books)
  • Sisterchicks on the Loose (Sisterchicks, #1)
  • Sisterchicks Do the Hula (Sisterchicks, #2)
  • Sisterchicks in Sombreros (Sisterchicks, #3)
  • Sisterchicks Down Under (Sisterchicks, #4)
  • Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La! (Sisterchicks, #5)
  • Sisterchicks in Gondolas (Sisterchicks, #6)
  • Sisterchicks Go Brit! (Sisterchicks, #7)
  • Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes (Sisterchicks, #8)

“By definition, a 'Sisterchick' is a 'friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and gives you a reality check when you're being a brat.” 9 likes