Sisterchicks Down Under (Sisterchicks, #4)

Sisterchicks Down Under (Sisterchicks #4)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  778 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Kathleen joins her husband for a three-month trip to New Zealand when he's hired by a film studio in Wellington. Leaving behind all that is familiar in her comfortable corner in Southern California, she realizes that the past twenty years have been so tightly woven into the life of her only daughter that she's not sure who she is on her own or with her husband. In her isol...more
Published March 31st 2005 by Multnomah Books

To ask other readers questions about Sisterchicks Down Under, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisterchicks Down Under

On a Whim by Robin Jones GunnComing Attractions by Robin Jones GunnPeculiar Treasures by Robin Jones GunnSisterchicks Go Brit! by Robin Jones GunnSummer Promise by Robin Jones Gunn
Robin Jones Gunn Books
45th out of 51 books — 15 voters
Secrets by Robin Jones GunnWaterfalls by Robin Jones GunnEchoes by Robin Jones GunnWhispers by Robin Jones GunnLove's Abiding Joy by Janette Oke
Another 100 Best Books
9th out of 102 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Ellen
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Thank you Robin Jones Gunn for creating a series to reach me at this age and stage of my life! Reading these books are like "chicken soup for MY soul." Each one leaves me with a renewed appreciation for the friends and family I hold dear and offers me something to meditate on and pray about. As I went with the Sisterchicks to New Zealand and Australia, I found myself earnestly praying for openness. All too often I am closed off and missing out on the b...more
Amy (Foxy)
SERIES:
Sisterchicks on the Loose (Sisterchicks, #1) by Robin Jones Gunn Sisterchicks Do the Hula (Sisterchicks, #2) by Robin Jones Gunn Sisterchicks in Sombreros (Sisterchicks, #3) by Robin Jones Gunn Sisterchicks Down Under (Sisterchicks, #4) by Robin Jones Gunn Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La! (Sisterchicks, #5) by Robin Jones Gunn Sisterchicks in Gondolas (Sisterchicks, #6) by Robin Jones Gunn Sisterchicks Go Brit! (Sisterchicks, #7) by Robin Jones Gunn Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes (Sisterchicks, #8) by Robin Jones Gunn
No cliffhangers. Spinoffs.
Kristin
I love the verse that she starts out with:

Mostly what God does is love you.
Keep company with Him and learn a life of love.
Observe how Christ loved us.
His love was not cautious but extravagant.
He didn't love in order to get something from us
but to give everything of Himself to us.
Love like that.
Ephesians 5:2

Some favorite quotes:

I knew He never wasted any life experience... I hadn't asked Him what His dreams were for me. page 31

It's amazing how a few sincere, affirming words from a woman you admir...more
Michele
Kathleen joins her husband for a three-month trip to New Zealand when he’s hired by a film studio in Wellington. Leaving behind all that is familiar in her comfortable corner in Southern California, she realizes that the past twenty years have been so tightly woven into the life of her only daughter that she’s not sure who she is on her own or with her husband. In her isolation, Kathleen begins to contemplate reinventing herself, but before her crazy schemes take flight, she meets Jill at the Ch...more
Deb
I loved this book. Again an easy read with some things to think about:

Mostly what God does is love you.
Keep company with Him and learn a life of love.
Observe how Christ loved us.
His love was not cautious but extravagant.
He didn't love in order to get something from us
but to give everything of Himself to us.
Love like that.
Ephesians 5:2

Some favorite quotes:

It's amazing how a few sincere, affirming...more
Odetta
Aug 24, 2011 Odetta rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Odetta by: Talking Books
It says I read this book in January. I don't remember it & Talking Books sent it back to me in August. (8/22-23/11)

I love all the Sisterchick books & they are just as good the second time around as the first time. It's always harder to pick something up from the spoken word than it is when it was read. It's kind of like, "I think I've heard this before." But with Sisterchicks, it doesn't matter if you've heard it before, it's still good. You can still laugh & still nod your head in a...more
Robin Hooker
We should all be so lucky to have our own sisterchicks!
Maria M. Elmvang
Mum bought this while in NZ and recommended it to me when she came home. It's the first Sisterchicks book I've read, but from what I've heard other people say, it's quite different from her other books, in that the women don't know each other prior to this book. Anyway, I loved it! A foreigner's view on New Zealand - hilarious! Especially since there were so many things I could recognize in it. Oh, and I got quite a thrill when they started talking about NZ slang, and I actually understood every...more
LeAnne
When Kathleen is pushed out of her comfort zone by her husband's career opportunity, she finds that God has a special friendship in store for her. The chatty intimate writing style sounds like your best friend telling you all about her three months in New Zealand. Women who enjoy lattes and shopping will identify with the characters. Those who have traveled to New Zealand or Australia will be nodding in amused appreciation of Gunn's cultural allusions.
Jeanie Pryor
This book was wonderful. I love the detail that Robin gives in her books of the places visited. It felt just like I was right there with the Chicks. I love the friendships that are told in these books. They are sweet, but real. Makes you wish you had a best friend just like the ones in each book. This is a great series to read if you love friendship books. There is a life lesson to learn in each book.
Elizabeth
This was the first of this series that I read and I actually listened to it. I loved the relationship between the two main characters. What a great example of Christian friendship. After reading this book I really wanted to visit Australia, but also felt that I had been there and seen the sights. This was a great book on several different levels. I highly recommend this series.
Amberjoy
Beautiful story about forgiveness, and opening the healing doors of our hearts if we let our girlfriends guide us to God's healing. The only thing I didn't like as much about this book was a lot of sarcasm, but that is just not my style. I am always touched by how each adventure can lead us closer to God, and help us see our world, even if it's turned "upside down".
Teresa Short
I thought this book's setting was going to be in Australia, but most of the book takes place in New Zealand. All ladies need Sisterchicks! I appreciate my Sisterchicks who are of various ages. Not only do you get to travel in this series, but explore different concepts like risk-taking, grieving, loneliness, adventure, and forgiveness.
Suzanne
Jun 02, 2008 Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Suzanne by: Kristin
This was the first Sisterchicks book I read. I really liked the way Robin Gunn weaves God's words and truths through the text, without hitting you over the head with the "Bible". I learned a lot about God's extravagant love, and how HE has dreams for ME, and how He will pursue us in order for us to finally let him love us.
Joy Gerbode
This book was wonderful ... one of the best yet! Not only was it a wonderful "armchair travel" to New Zealand and Australia, it was an inspirational story of loving extravagantly and living life to the fullest. Lots of fun, laughs, a few tears; a thoroughly enjoyable, easy read, but lots to think about for days to come!
L
There's not much to say about this one. I thought the Sisterchicks idea was a neat way of describing the relationships women have with other women. As I am reading it it felt like one of those teen romance novels except the teens are now middle age empty nesters. I guess it is a good read if you have a few hours to waste.
Michaelbatte
about female Christian friendships and the gifts you receive just by sharing life with another friend - very light read - this is my third - picked up my first at a Christian bookstore during Hurricane Ivan for a steal - was better than her other two books I've read - made me want to visit Australia one day
I'm half-way through. It's a decent story with mid-life characters (a bit older than me and at a different time of life). It's not elegant or deep writing, but there's a nice message that's not too preachy. And, it's set in New Zealand and Austrailia, so that's interesting.
Elizabeth
An enjoyable read but note that there are strong Christian overtones. I liked the point that forgiveness can bring you further in your life. And their visits to sightseeing locations in Australia were fun to follow. A strong female friendship in a book is always a plus for me.
Jo
Love the quote from page 79... What would my life look like if I started to love extravagantly?.... The message rings beautifully throughout the book... Love God and love people. Not one or the other. It has to be both!
Kris Wells
I have enjoyed these books mostly for the information they give about the area the women are traveling to. The relationship between the women is always sweet but pretty much the same in each story.
Cat
I know this book is geared to middle aged women but I like it and there is a whole series. It is about stepping out of the box and your comfort zone. It's nice and light and a great fast read.
Jen
Committed to making it work while her husband has the chance to fulfill his dreams, a woman struggles with a new environment without friends or even the creature comforts she is accustomed to.
Connie Bloch
This is a lighthearted fast read. The book was a gift and while I enjoyed the story and wouldn't be opposed to reading more in the series, I won't be going out of my way to make it happen.
Kevan
Aug 05, 2008 Kevan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I really enjoyed this book. It had a little bit of history/sights to see etc. A really fun chick book. I plan on reading the other sisterchick books after reading this one.
Diane
I enjoyed all the SisterChicks books. Some are funnier than the others. They all are inspirational and motivational to get out of our ruts...find our dream and set goals.
Lauri
Lit & Latte, February 2012: one of my favorite selections for this book club! A beautiful travelogue. Truly put New Zealand and Australia on my bucket list!!
Stephanie
Sweet and endearing-with likable characters, an intriguing setting, and more than a couple of great laughs. I particularly loved the bubble bath catastrophe! Hilarious!
Rhonda Hughes
don't waste your time....alot of time spent trying to convince you that something is funny when it truly is not....alot of beating a dead horse to try to get a chuckle.
Carol
It was a fun book, but slow in some parts. Had some parts that were thought provoking. If your looking for a quick light read this would be the book.
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough
  • The Potluck Club Troubles Brewing (The Potluck Club #2)
  • The Elevator
  • The Trophy Wives Club (Trophy Wives Club, #1)
  • Pearl (Dakotah Treasures, #2)
  • The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2)
  • These Boots Weren't Made for Walking
  • Healing Waters (Sullivan Crisp, #2)
  • Never Say Never (Daily, Texas #3)
  • Paige Torn (Paige Alder #1)
  • A New Leaf: Cape Light #4 (Kinkade, Thomas)
41954
ROBIN JONES GUNN is the much loved author of over 85 books. With nearly 5 million copies of her titles sold worldwide, her popular Christy Miller series now continues in Christy & Todd: The Married Years. Her novels and non-fiction works have received multiple awards and are a favorite with book clubs and study groups. Robin and her husband have a grown son and daughter and live in Hawaii.
More about Robin Jones Gunn...
Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 1 (Christy Miller, #1-3) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 2 (Christy Miller, #4-6) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 3 (Christy Miller, #7-9) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 4 (Christy Miller, #10-12) Until Tomorrow (Christy and Todd: College Years #1)