Start by marking “The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease” as Want to Read:
The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To:  Free Yourself from Food Cravings:  Achieve Your Ideal Weight;  Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health;  Prevent and Reverse Disease

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  363 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Customize Your Diet to Your Own Unique Body Chemistry

For hereditary reasons, your metabolism is unique. Cutting-edge research shows that no single diet works well for everyone–the very same foods that keep your best friend slim may keep you overweight and feeling unhealthy and fatigued. Now, William Wolcott, a pioneer in the field of metabolic research, has developed a rev
Published January 2nd 2002 by Harmony (first published January 4th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Metabolic Typing Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Metabolic Typing Diet

Draden
Dec 21, 2014 Draden rated it liked it
The idea is interesting and according to my own experience there is probably truth to it. A diet that is right for your body is important for good health. How to figure out the diet that is right for you is another matter. The topic is complex and this book offers only a limited amount of immediately useful information - further study and experimentation is needed to find out what works for you.

While the book has lots of useful data and tips, it is quite repetitive and could be much compressed
Kate
Nov 02, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Sheena @ WCCF
Shelves: nonfiction, nutrition
While the metabolic typing questionnaires were more in depth (I'm still a pesky mixed type eater for sure) than the ones in How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy!, I found the science and other suggestions to be more 'lofty' than the actual facts Paul Chek and Robb Wolf offer up in their books. This one has been my least favorite book on nutrition I have read thus far. It's not a bad book, just more 'sciencey' than what I normally enjoy reading.
Cee
Apr 23, 2010 Cee rated it really liked it
A must read for the serious athlete, or performance concerned person. How to pay attention to your body, and derive amazing results free of fad diets and other myths. This book was key to some major personal changes that I will attest to bringing astounding results. I am a lifetime diet and exercise addict, and this book has helped bring me to a place of happiness, with physical results and freedom from guilt and the yoyo exercise trap. I have never looked or felt better, and I apply almost no e ...more
Shawna
Nov 09, 2012 Shawna rated it really liked it
This book gave me a lot to think about. It also freed me from the dreaded low calorie diet plan. The self test is included in the book - which is nice. It also gets you started on healthier eating with some adjustment suggestions if you are still experiencing problems with the foods you eat. The only thing I didn't care much for was the first several chapters was tireless in it's justification for this approach to nutrition. Enough with the justification - get on with the methods!
Erika
Jul 08, 2015 Erika rated it it was amazing
I'm a protein type :) What's yours?

A) Protein Type
B) Carbo Type
C) Mixed Type

Do I diet? HELL NO! Then why read a diet book? Because it's important to know how to optimize your bodies nutritional needs in order to maintain your individual metabolic balance. Everyone is different, that's why there is no such thing as "one diet fits all."

Check out the metabolic type self-test on page 136!
Jessicaturco
Jun 12, 2014 Jessicaturco rated it really liked it
You can basically skim Chapter 1-2 and then skip to Chapter 6 because it is a lot of redundant hypotheses and what if scenarios without anything helpful.

I think that this concept is real and is much more sensical than the fad diets ... the no carb, the atkins, the cabbage soup diet, the vegetarian diet ...

Every human being's makeup is so unique that it makes sense that some "diets" and restrictions simply do not work for everyone! The book is worth the read to simply explore this point and to
Courtney La cava
May 26, 2015 Courtney La cava rated it it was ok
Could've been a worse read, and the quiz really made me thing about my eating habits and what works best for my diet and metabolism. But getting deeper into the issues for my mixed metabolism, the author claims that you'll reach a level of healthy eating that'll make counting calories unnecessary. Like apparently if you finally find the right combination of foods for your type, you won't have cravings any more and you lose weight. (Or, miraculously, gain weight of you have a hard time keeping it ...more
Ron
Feb 14, 2010 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. I've been looking for a book that talks about what seems intuitive to me, that different diets should be ideally healthful for different people. The quiz is long but revealing. Turns out I shouldn't be eating some of my favorite foods, and I would know that if I just paid attention to my energy and cravings a few hours after eating meals that contain them. Pretty good stuff, but light on the peer-reviewed science, unfortunately, so it's just a hypothesis.
Jul 01, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. To be honest, I had been introduced to this idea many years ago but had never really taken it seriously. I had never read the science behind it and it seemed crazy that I could eat high fat and still lose weight. It was only years later after I had given up gluten, alcohol, and sugar and was pretty much left with a high fat, high protein diet, that I was able to see how wonderfully it worked for me (I'm a fast oxidizer). I lost 50 pounds and kept it off easily witho ...more
Ranjani
Jan 02, 2016 Ranjani rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, reference
The fundamental premise of the book - that every person has a unique metabolic type they should eat for - is well represented but in my opinion the science goes a bit soft beyond some basic points.

A lot of the book feels like the gristle you have to put up with to enjoy a little bit of juicy meat; sometimes bordering on those websites you see that try to sell you their book about their magic formula for a flatter stomach / million dollars / generic life success. The typing itself makes sense to
L. L.
Feb 17, 2016 L. L. rated it liked it
So Basically this is just touting the already popular, yet very controversial, Atkins diet or Low Carb High Fat. This is something I already knew as I have lost 46 pounds in 8 months doing the low carb high fat/Atkins diet. But I did pick up a few pointers that I was not already aware of. I paid a lot for this book and feel that I did not gain a lot of new knowledge from it. Those who are not currently aware of or doing LCHF diet, however, should benefit greatly from this book and others of its ...more
Krystal Williams
Of all of the nutrition books that I’ve read, this is easily one of my favorites. There’s nothing that I dislike more than an author writing a book about nutrition and purporting that his way is the only way. The Metabolic Typing Diet is different from most diet books in that regard.

The basic premise of The Metabolic Typing Diet is that we are all individuals, biochemically speaking. We are different in the way that various foods affect our biochemistry, our gene expression, our health, weight,
Denise
Jun 19, 2012 Denise rated it it was amazing
This book is one that I will reference again and again. I walked away having a broader and more indepth understanding of this very important subject. The pages of this book are filled with indepth information and delve into the depths of metabolic typing and all its functions. It is so well written and straight-forward that I sit and wonder how I got by all these years without this interesting and extremely pertinent material. It includes self-tests to find your correct metabolic type and goes e ...more
Karen
As a health coach, I think this concept plays a major role in fighting obesity, chronic disease, and the general ill health experienced by the majority of Americans today. I will probably also buy a DTV to be able to reference some things a bit more easily for my clients.

There is no such thing as "the perfect diet" for mankind. We are all individuals with distinct biochemistry based on our genetic heritage and influenced by our environment. While a raw vegan diet may work for some, it definitely
Abby
May 23, 2011 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abby by: Ellen Heed
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
Bodyworker and yoga teacher Ellen Heed recommended this book during a three day anatomy training I took with her. Since I liked a lot of what she had to share, I figured I'd check out some of her sources. This book is a great explanation as to why some diets work for some people and why some diets literally kill those who try them out.

Wolcott and Fahey group people into three basic categories: those who need a higher protein to carb diet, those who need a higher carb to protein diet, and those
Chantal Sellers
I'm going to try it. What can it hurt? I've tried vegetarianism...and got severe pain for my troubles. I was gluten free for 3 years and felt better. Maybe my type is high protein. The only way to know is to try. Meanwhile most of the book was a crash course in every other book of this type you might read. The quiz was interesting though.
Wendy
Jan 23, 2015 Wendy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A waste of time. Contains all the catchphrases found in nutrition fads today and no particular insight. Basically the end result of all the testing for me was eat what makes you feel good and avoid things that don't. Glad it was a library book so I could return it and not feel that I wasted my money on such drivel.
Gail
Jul 10, 2015 Gail rated it liked it
Explains how to customize your diet depending on how your body processes the different types of food you eat. The main theme is that you will feel better by eating what is best for your body metabolism.
Cwilson466
Nov 28, 2009 Cwilson466 rated it it was ok
Doris
Nov 04, 2007 Doris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diet-read
I loved this book in that it helped open my eyes a few years ago to realize that the diet I was eating, which I thought was healthy, was the right type of diet which totally was the opposite.

The quiz in the book showed that I needed a higher protein-fat diet rather than the high carbs diet I was consuming. That was one of the reasons why I was not able to drop the bodyfat I wanted.

The book gave me a much clearer understanding of how to change my diet to be better for my body and what it needed.
Terry
Apr 14, 2015 Terry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
This book is a must read if you are interested in food and it's relationship to your health.
We need to learn to honor who we are in the food chain and eat as is best for our body. There is a reason that most nutrition studies never show 100% of the people responding the same way to specific diets; that is because the studies are done on people of various metabolic types.
It is nonsense to believe that all of us have the exact same nutrional needs.
The book is packed with information. It does move
Sirena
Dec 24, 2009 Sirena rated it really liked it
The concept of Metabolic Typing is not revolutionary, but nonetheless, profound. Over the century of moving towards a highly commercialized system of food production and consumption, we have almost completely abandoned and forgotten our traditional, ancestral and ethnic ways of eating. Although MT is highly useful and not short of scientific evidence and research, I find that it is easy to get caught up in the "dogma" of Metabolic Typing and again, box yourself into a specific method, which, iro ...more
Sheila
Apr 06, 2010 Sheila rated it really liked it
Book was a bit full or more bio-chemistry than I could keep up with at times, but overall a refreshing perspective on the food we eat and that each of us has to find our own combination of food that nourishes our body. While this isn't new news, he is able to explain it and offer stories and perspectives that bring more than many other nutrition books I've read. I've been putting principles to use in my daily life since reading it. Very Good.
Danyal Vierheller
Feb 19, 2012 Danyal Vierheller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree that a lot of the later chapters are a bit more of the types of pseudoscience that get on my nerves, however, the rest of the book, including the questionnaire, are extremely helpful. I have been unable to lose weight for years; by following the recommendations based on my apparent metabolic type I have managed to start shedding pounds (finally!)

Lisa Riolo
Jun 20, 2008 Lisa Riolo rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This offers some fascinating ideas about how to achieve a truly healthy, natural state.

If I could wish for those of you seeking improved health just one thing: it'd be to begin with this one book. It will literally save you so much time (and money) because you'll avoid the common pitfall of trying one thing after another without success.
Jawaria
Nov 05, 2009 Jawaria rated it really liked it
I learned about the difference in making what we eat unique to each person. Not everyone has to love meat or eat vegetable all the time it just depends on the person you are. This book helps to figure that out for the person. Interesting unique and thanks simala for recommending it.
Laurel
Jul 19, 2013 Laurel rated it liked it
This is definitely a book a lot of people should read. Your body has a natural set point and a natural way to lose weight. This book helps you find out what that is so you can start a weight loss journey that will be effective (Effective /=/ instant)

The quiz was enlightening.
Allison
Putting this aside for a bit. The little I've read has been really useful, and the idea that each person has different nutritional requirements makes a lot of sense. I plan on recommending this to anyone struggling with a diet, or diet fad.
Sonya
Dec 01, 2009 Sonya rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I think everyone should read this no matter if they are at their perfect weight, overweight, healthy, or unhealthy. Either way, it will give the reader the ability to improve his or her health.
Ecrossfit
May 02, 2010 Ecrossfit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Looking forward to experimenting with the theories in this one... Got it from the library and thinking I'll pick up a copy to have as a quick reference....
weight loss supplement 1 1 Apr 10, 2015 10:55PM
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • Dangerous Grains
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet and Lifetime Nutrition Plan
  • The Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of the Stomach and Intestine
  • Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug
  • Sugar Blues
  • Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life
  • Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and Gerd
  • The Fast Track Detox Diet
  • The Crazy Makers
  • Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • The Diet Cure