Start by marking “Between Husbands and Friends” as Want to Read:
Between Husbands and Friends

Between Husbands and Friends

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,279 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Can you marry young and remain faithful all your life? Will marriage fulfill your deepest desires? Is a secret the same as a lie? To whom should you be most loyal, your best friend or your spouse? These are some of the questions troubling Irene West, the wife of goodhearted Max West, the editor of a small town Massachussetts newspaper. The Wests' best friends are the glamo ...more
Published September 1st 1999 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Between Husbands and Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Husbands and Friends

Mary
Sep 23, 2014 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Paperback Swap
Having married young, Lucy West - wife of Max West, the editor of a small-town Massachusetts newspaper - found herself occasionally troubled by a variety of doubts and questions which flitted through her thoughts. Will marriage fulfill your deepest desires? To whom should you be most loyal, your best friend or your spouse? Is a secret the same as a lie? and Can you marry young and remain faithful all your life? were just some of the unanswerable questions which still went through Lucy's mind fro ...more
Cait
This was an interesting ride full of weird things that completely contradict each other in terms of how I enjoyed the story. First there was the fact that physically reading this book is a very long and slow process despite how short it actually is. I would be reading for a few straight, solid hours and only get...50 pages. Where I could finish entire other books in the same amount of time. I have no idea why this is, but it is. The flip side of that is that, despite how long it was taking me, I ...more
A. R.
My rating 2.5 stars.

"Between Husbands and Friends" is cliche women's fiction. Two best girlfriends who share hopes and dreams, secrets, family and of course one has a big secret that could destroy the entire friendship. Nothing in this book surprised me. I will admit to a tear in the middle as one of our 'friends' deals with a tragedy, but other than that....I yawned.

Even though the story is told in first person, I had a hard time really liking Lucy (one of the dynamic duo) and liked her friend
Marcia
Actual Rating: ***1/2

This was an earlier book (1999) from Nancy Thayer, and the story revolves around the damage that secrets long held can do to relationships. I wondered as the story became more and more entangled how this could possibly turn out to the good.

Opening Lines:
June 1998
It's a soft, lazy morning with the early June sunlight tumbling into our kitchen where the four of us move in a carbohydrate-high daze after indulging in Max's triple-fruit pancakes.

A random thought...
Does every wom
Judie
Good writing, interesting storyline. Just felt unfinished at the end.
Deborah
I always enjoy Nancy Thayer's writing, and BETWEEN HUSBANDS AND FRIENDS was in keeping with the excellent writing in her other books. You know from the beginning of the book, that one of the two main characters, Lucy or Kate, has a deep, shocking secret that would change the lives of their family and friends, if it were to be discovered.

Lucy and Kate mer when they are young wives and mothers. They come to do everything together, and their families become friends as well. Lucy and Max have a boy
Diane  Morasco
This was my first Nancy Thayer read. I loved the setting. It was the setting, Nantucket, that piqued my interest because the plot seemed to be a bit too "been there, done that" for me. What can I say, I am a book snob (let's not even wonder if it spills over into my personal life... my blog is a reflection of me in many ways... ;p). LOL!

Lucy & Kate BFF... The drama free friend & the one bringing all the drama...

You know, the difference between day & night type friend? Yet it just wor
Darlene Torday
I got used to the author jumping back and forth in time but it never felt comfortable as a reader to do so. The topic was a bit touchy although I do know people do remain friends after something like this happens in their life it just wasn't a topic I enjoy reading about. I never really connected with the characters and always felt like I was on the outside looking into their lives. I have read other of her books and enjoyed them but this wasn't one of them.
Linnet
The families of Max and Lucy, Chip and Kate, have been friends for 15 years. The wives spend every August at Lucy's Nantucket house with their children. The husbands come for the last week of the month. Lucy and Kate are best friends, support each other and keep each other's secrets. When Lucy's youngest child, Jeremy, is diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, layers of secrets in the lives of each family are exposed.
Amy
Between Husbands and Friends and Summer Breeze. Both titles are by Nancy Thayer and are in her trademark Nantucket setting. I love her books as despite the beach read writing style, there's more than meets the eye with her characters. Readers quickly realize that there's mayhem lurking beneath the tranquil setting. For those who enjoy Elin Hilderbrand, Nancy Thayer provides a similar read.
Margie
First let me say I am a Nancy Thayer fan. So I went into this book with high expectations. It was a slow start and I thought I was going to have my first disappointment with Thayers books. Keep reading, it just keeps getting better and better.

Nancy Thayer's build of the friendship between Lucy and Kate was believable. You could see the two of them grow together, trust each other and share things no one else would be a part of. There is so much that binds these two women and their families, that
Liz
Awesome read!! Could not put it down..,wish the author wouldn't have ended it with so many open ended questions I had...BUT I was very pleased with Thayers writing style and development of characters. Love how she gives the back story to help us really understand the complex issues these families are dealing with.
Sandy
Nancy Thayer depicted the tangled relationships that exist in everyday life. She's right on with dialogue, honest characterization and witty exchanges. This reader gasped, cried, and laughed out loud as I devoured this masterpiece. Life is just not a bowl of cherries. Well done!
Pegodwyer
Engrossing

This story really pulls you in from the beginning.
Once hooked I couldn't read quickly enough. It both made me like characters and dislike characters all the while forgiving where I didn't think I would.Very human.A very good story,well written.
Marianne Sciucco
I love Nancy Thayer's writing. I love Nantucket. I don't love the two women at the center of this book. Kate is self-centered and careless. Lucy is foolish and wreckless. I did not find either of them sympathetic characters. This was an okay summer read for the beach.
Sharon
I really enjoyed this book. The relationship between the two families was something that is very special and you can't always find with another family. Then the twists and turns started which made it for a very interesting read and made it hard to put the book down.
Hope
In a way I found this book to be so sad. It is the story of two friends and their families, the ups and downs of that relationship. When I turned what I did not expect to be the last page, my comment was, "it can't end like this!"
Louise
Another true to life telling by Thayer of women in love, in pain, in trouble, in despair.

From back cover:

"Lucy met Kate when they were both young wives and mothers. In the years since, the two women and their husbands and children have become inseparable, spending every August together in a house on Nantucket. Lucy and Kate, each other's most trusted confidantes, have shared their secrets, from the mundane to the shocking-but there's one explosive secret that Lucy has kept to herself.

As August o
Mindy
Discovered Nancy Thayer and enjoyed her writing. Started to read all of her books. This one was OK....story about 2 families that grow extremely close over the years and inevitably an affairs occurs.
Elizabeth
I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could--almost good but misses the mark, sort of. It's the story of 2 families and the interactions among the husbands and wives. You can guess what "interactions" there are. Lots of Nantucket references with an unsurprising ending.
JaVone Bentley
It was ok. Slow paced. Beautiful language. But I really couldn't connect to any of the characters and the plot was very predictable; at some points I just wanted to get this book over with. Lots of side plots and stories that really didn't add any substance. Also, the ending seemed rushed.
Sue Wilber
Remember that saying "Oh, what a tangled web we weave...?" Well, this book is the epitome of that proverb! Would much rather have been reading it sitting on a beach, but had to settle for sitting under a blanket during a snowstorm!
Patti
Found this browsing at the library. Very easy reading, but I found myself so caught up in the characters. At one point, I had pulled over to the beach on my way home from work. I grabbed the book and sat glued to the pages while sitting in my car with the windows open. In a chapter, one of the characters was standing on the edge of a cliff, overlooking the water. The author was describing the surroundings and the sounds of the ocean. I got chills because she was describing the exact visual and s ...more
Jennifer Morefield
I enjoy Nancy Thayer and thought this was a good story. The content was a bit uncomfortable for me, but the story seemed plausible and kept my interest. A pretty good read. I got this book on sale for $1.99. Worth it!
Betty J Schoch
A really good book

A story about love, loss & forgiveness with the challenges of parenting, marriage & friendships. I couldn't put it down.
Joyce
Sometimes you just need a fluffy read. It was pretty predictable and I could have done without the town side story as it did not engage me. It was okay.
Joan
This book was a light read. It did seem to go off in different directions, some that were not relevant to the story. Overall it was just okay.
Pam Arneth
Fun book

This is the second book by this author. I recommend this book. Very easy read but good story. A good woman's book.
Linda
Family drama, who's sleeping with who, kids, sickness, etc. are the boundaries pushed between friends, read and find out.
Darlene
I loved this book. Complex story of friends and family. I felt these emotions as I read. Will read more of this author
Ever feel like you were IN the story? 2 8 Sep 26, 2011 01:45PM
  • The Road Taken
  • So Happy Together
  • Julian's House
  • The Sight of the Stars
  • The Four Seasons (Paperback)
  • Summer of the Red Wolf
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
Nancy Thayer has a B.A. and M.A. in English literature from the University of Missouri at Kansas City. Before settling down to write and have children she taught English at various colleges and traveled, living in Paris, Amsterdam and Helsinki. In 1981 she was a Fellow at the Breadloaf Writers Conference. She has lived on Nantucket Island year round for twenty-five years with her husband Charley W ...more
More about Nancy Thayer...
Beachcombers Summer House Heat Wave Island Girls Moon Shell Beach

“The most terrible thing about marriage, I suppose, is that we know and understand each other’s weaknesses and fears as much as we know our strengths and desires.” 5 likes
“Perhaps in every close friendship there is an element of, if not competition, then comparison. Perhaps that is one of the things that makes a friend belong especially to us. Somehow, in the secrecy of our hearts, a scale must balance.” 2 likes